[1.7.10] Survival industry [rotarycraft based tech]

would you like the modpack to grow bigger with new mod?

• yes, more magic

• yes, more tech

• yes, stronger mobs/other

• no, keep it as it is

Results are only viewable after voting.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
The point is this: I cannot design the modpack under the assumption that all the players will have optimized FTB launchers. Linux users like myself cannot use the Curse client, which means we are all left out of the loop unless we're expert computer users (and despite the popular myth, not all Linux users are programmers or system administrators). I have to design the modpack for the lowest common denominator. Yes, players who choose this pack are likely going to be more hardcore gamers than the average vanilla players (who would probably uninstall this pack after the 10th death on the first night). But I still want to make sure anyone can at least give it a chance, even if they're just getting the hang of modded minecraft, and know that if they drop it, it won't be because the game is overwhelming their system.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
There's a sound like dinosaur roaring around my industrial area, and I can't figure out where it's coming from. It only went away when I silenced "ambient/environment" bizarrely, so maybe it was matmos accidentally playing an archaeology sound? Really weird, anyway.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting agricraft crops to increase their stats? I setup a line of dirt about 10 blocks long and planted a seed at one end and let them spread. After they reached the end of the line, they were still all just 1/1/1. I tried it a second time and got the same results. In the past, I had no issues with them moving up their stats this way.

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
It's a config. You need 2 crops to breed them to increase the stats, just like you'd crossbreed seeds to get a new one.
It's actually default, if I remember right. Just most modpacks changing it to the 1 seed mutation thingy that you mean.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I didn't know about that setting. However, after checking it out, I think I'm going to leave it. I don't want the farming to become trivial by making crop boosting as easy as a row of crosscrops... it is a big part of the early game, after all. ;)

By the way, For the forseeable future, Inventory Tweaks will have autofill turned off. This is because there seems to be a conflict between Battlegear and Inventory Tweaks: if IT tries to replace a broken tool in the BG slot, the game crashes. Obviously, crashes are bad things, so until the issue is fixed, the autofill will be turned off.

JeffPeng

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB launcher can pass arguments. Although, there is no way I know of to pass these arguments automatically along with the pack. I also can confirm that Survival Industry really needs 3Gig+ to run somewhat smoothly. If playing on a server less might work, since some of the pain is shared. I think the only way to really prevent ppl from playing SI with let's say 1.5Gig would be to include a small mod that gives an error if requirements are not met (like the Java8-something-mod does if you try to play with Java7)

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Here's another little modification I made to the modpack that maybe other people would be interested in: I hate Spice of Life, and normally turn it off, because dying of hunger while having huge food stores is very irritating. This time, I instead went into its config options, and discovered that you can change the effect so instead the mod applies penalties to saturation. Now, eating the same food repeatedly slows down the eating animation and reduces saturation, meaning it lasts less time, instead of somehow not nourishing you. I feel like this makes a whole lot more sense, logically, and also provides an interesting gameplay element: It impacts your planning and supplies when going on extended trips, so you have to think about what you bring with you, and makes the lunch box important, without having to deal with starving to death with food in your hands because that is seriously the worst.

If you also do not like starving with food, maybe try this out for yourself.

JeffPeng

Jul 29, 2019
Here's another little modification I made to the modpack that maybe other people would be interested in: I hate Spice of Life, and normally turn it off, because dying of hunger while having huge food stores is very irritating. This time, I instead went into its config options, and discovered that you can change the effect so instead the mod applies penalties to saturation. Now, eating the same food repeatedly slows down the eating animation and reduces saturation, meaning it lasts less time, instead of somehow not nourishing you. I feel like this makes a whole lot more sense, logically, and also provides an interesting gameplay element: It impacts your planning and supplies when going on extended trips, so you have to think about what you bring with you, and makes the lunch box important, without having to deal with starving to death with food in your hands because that is seriously the worst.

If you also do not like starving with food, maybe try this out for yourself.

It's still a better challenge than vanilla. Still... I don't know. The high-end recipes are pretty powerful. If you just can stuff boatloads of them into your face with no -real- negative effect but slightly more time consumed I feel like they might become too effective.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
It's still a better challenge than vanilla. Still... I don't know. The high-end recipes are pretty powerful. If you just can stuff boatloads of them into your face with no -real- negative effect but slightly more time consumed I feel like they might become too effective.
I kinda agree. But I also think 12 foods before you can repeat is too many. Maybe 5-6 would be better for when you're exploring.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
The "challenge" to get a variety of food has never really interested me. I can do so, and do make recipes I like "irl" from Harvestcraft in game as a kind of roleplaying, but being forced to take up a bunch of inventory space with food, and especially starving early game because my survival rations of zombie jerky have somehow magically lost their nutrients, is terrible IMO. Like I said, though, totally a matter of opinion. Just thought I'd let anyone else out there who would just disable Spice of Life, like I did, that that's an option as well.

On an entirely unrelated note, how do you use the Fuel Enhancer? I can't get the thing to take oil. I've been collecting the oil and stashing it anyway because I find it unsightly, and was excited to see there was a way to "spend" it with RC, but I can't figure out how to get the machine to accept it. Its GUI doesn't have liquid slots at all, just unmarked physical slots, presumably for the other ingredients (tar, netherrack dust, etc), and it isn't responding to buckets, pipes, or spring powered pump.

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
You can get by, by pretty much only using wheat, potatoes and carrots. From time to time some zombieflesh maybe, or berries. You could even go ahead and make stock, if you already found ore to make the pam's harvestcraft tools. Takes overall about ~10mins to set up, given you already have the materials. From time to time I need some other stuff, but a bit of zombieflesh or anything like that is usually enough.

It impacts your planning and supplies when going on extended trips, so you have to think about what you bring with you, and makes the lunch box important, without having to deal with starving to death with food in your hands because that is seriously the worst.

That's exactly what the mod already does, though. Just add 2 of 6 different food for the lunchbox, probably something that gives a decent amount of hunger and you're set for quite a while.
If you can easily make some mid-tier food (which isn't all that hard, if you have access to the meat, milk and maybe onions/tomatoes. And the tools, so at least some copper), a full lunchbox let's you run around for quite a while.
The only thing that annoys me a bit is that the lunchbox requires Iron. We don't really get that this early in most packs like this one. So until then it really takes up a bunch of space, which can be quite annoying, true.
Maybe change the recipe so you can make it out of earlygame stuff? I mean, who the hell carries a lunchbox out of iron around? Shit's heavy, yknow? :p

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't there a lunch bag for early game? I seem to recall that...

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Please stop trying to convince me Spice of Life's default mechanic is good, because I disagree. My whole point with that post is that the option to make it affect saturation instead of hunger has all the potential positives of the default option without the incredibly annoying/reality-based expectation defying-ness of starving with food on hand. That's my opinion, based on my experiences and values, and I'm sticking to it. :p
Isn't there a lunch bag for early game? I seem to recall that...

Yeah, it's just three paper in a bowl shape. I think the difference is that it holds four items instead of six, iirc.

I've researched the fuel enhancer and BC oil, and as far as I can tell in Buildcraft there's a difference between oil and fuel, there's a "refinery" machine you need to process it through, that has been disabled (as far as I can see) in Survival Industry. Not sure what can be done at all with the oil, then.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to check if RoC can be configured to use BC oil directly. Failing that, I'll probably just disable the oil generation.

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, really? God damnit...
And I wasn't really trying to convince you it's good. Good is subjective anyways. :p
And always eating the same food (and nothing else) isn't exactly healthy either, it's not all that far off. :p

moltenbrain

Jul 29, 2019
Curious how people are handling magma cream for jet fuel? I can hunt slimes, but would like to automate. Thinking of making slime trap with bait box.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Vegan option has an alternate for slime, and a recipe for blaze rods.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

moltenbrain

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, but I can't figure out how to automate resin. Woodcutter with spruce tree doesn't produce any. Even TC lumber axe doesn't produce it. As far as I can tell, need to chop trees with axe. Maybe OC robot would work.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the next version will be removing TiC altogether. Additionally, Treecapitator has been installed, and configured for the extreme-level (steel and above) axes. And it does work with Vegan option. All the same, I submitted a bug report for the issue with VO.

Also, with Metallurgy, you also have the option of finding and using bitumen, which works as a slime substitute.

Last edited: