[1.7.10] Survival industry [rotarycraft based tech]

would you like the modpack to grow bigger with new mod?

• yes, more magic

• yes, more tech

• yes, stronger mobs/other

• no, keep it as it is

Results are only viewable after voting.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Long before CC, he made it possible to transfer shaft power through portals. CC just doesn't fit the pack. I know it's from the same mod author, but it is too magical for my tastes.

You can transfer shaft power through vanilla and mystcraft portals. <snip>

Yes, but Mystcraft is a pretty massive mod just for shaft transfer.

More to the point, even with the book binder disabled to prevent new worlds from being created, if a mystcraft portal will permit shaft power to be transmitted, then you have linking books and the over-powered mystcraft teleportation.

Is there a way to make some sort of portal that doesn't rely on over-powered teleportation? Warp Books were a little more restrictive than mystcraft books; perhaps a portal based on them would make sense?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but Mystcraft is a pretty massive mod just for shaft transfer.

More to the point, even with the book binder disabled to prevent new worlds from being created, if a mystcraft portal will permit shaft power to be transmitted, then you have linking books and the over-powered mystcraft teleportation.

Is there a way to make some sort of portal that doesn't rely on over-powered teleportation? Warp Books were a little more restrictive than mystcraft books; perhaps a portal based on them would make sense?

Don't think it's a matter of being OP for Mystcraft since Enhanced portals is in the pack and you can teleport from portal to portal for a small RF cost. RFTools is also in the pack which, again at the cost of RF, allows you to create custom worlds and teleport between any place in any dimension. It even has a handheld teleporter that will return you to whatever device it's linked too. At least those two options require power and some progression to reach. I have no idea what the mod devs thought process was on that subject. The one advantage of Mystcraft is that Reika, the maker of RoC, supports it's crystal portals so you can transfer shaft power across dimensions.

I started this discussion because there doesn't seem to be any good ways in the pack to transfer power across dimensions. Reactorcraft creates potential radiation contamination that could make your base unlivable if you have an accident, so having it in your base is not the best idea. Also, the tokamak reactor is a very complicated build with lots of moving parts that can kill your FPS, so most people choose to keep them in a different dimension so they aren't rendered. Without tesseracts, converting to RF at your reactor and sending it that way isn't an option. There is also no way to transfer the steam from the reactor to a turbine at your base. As it is now, it seems the best solution I can come up with to those problems would be to build them in the overworld a good ways away from your base and use a really long line of shafts to connect to your base. Chunk loading the reactor area with the RoC chunk loader and then using Railcraft anchors with anchor sentinels(can load a 1 x 25 chunk area) to keep the line of shafts loaded. At least with this setup, everything you need is already in the pack.

On a side note, it's kind of amusing to see how reliant we(myself included) have become on magically transferring power, fluids, and items to anywhere we need them. After some thought, and in the spirit of this pack, even if something is added to allow such things, I'm gonna stick with my above solution. I'm also going to get into Railcraft for transporting stuff around my world. I've always thought the mod was cool and wanted to get into, but the kitchen sink packs made it obsolete because there were much simpler ways and I never managed to really explore it.

Last edited:

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Reika's willing to add support for RFTools and Enhanced Portals, but has to get the lay of the code, first. So the support will likely appear in a future version of RotaryCraft.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
On a side note, Enhanced Portals requires a Gas turbine to ensure a completely stable portal connection between two portals. A microturbine seems to make a 50% stable portal.

On a side note, it's kind of amusing to see how reliant we(myself included) have become on magically transferring power, fluids, and items to anywhere we need them. After some thought, and in the spirit of this pack, even if something is added to allow such things, I'm gonna stick with my above solution. I'm also going to get into Railcraft for transporting stuff around my world. I've always thought the mod was cool and wanted to get into, but the kitchen sink packs made it obsolete because there were much simpler ways and I never managed to really explore it.

A key reason for my choice of RoC instead of TE or MFR. That's also why I pulled Thermal Foundation and Dynamics.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Enhanced portals is in the pack and you can teleport from portal to portal for a small RF cost. RFTools is also in the pack which, again at the cost of RF, allows you to create custom worlds and teleport between any place in any dimension.
I did not know that there was another teleport mod in the pack.

RfTools ... yea, I saw that before, and didn't think about it. I remember now, Retro said that mystcraft seemed too magical and easy (at least, that's what I recall) -- RfTools is definitely more complicated.

And I like that ReactorCraft, or Deep Resonance, both carry risks of environmental damage for their power supply.

===

Point being, mystcraft crystals are a block, and if you have RfTools for dimension creation, you should be able to make mystcraft crystal appear like any mod ore/special block in an RfTools dimension. And then, mystcraft portals will transfer shaft power.

But yea, the other option of chunk loaders plus lots of shafts does fit the theme of tech.

("Lots of shafts. Lots of shafts". Voice of a white pharmacist-style lab-coat wearing drone)

===

I'm also going to get into Railcraft for transporting stuff around my world.

Which is the other question I've meant to ask Retro: Why not Expanded Industry for the vanilla hopper/minecart improvements?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Reika's willing to add support for RFTools and Enhanced Portals, but has to get the lay of the code, first. So the support will likely appear in a future version of RotaryCraft.

And that is why I have always thought highly of him as a mod author. He is willing to take suggestions(that are reasonable) and add compatibility to his mod. I also love that he takes no crap and how he deals with the trolls.

On a side note, Enhanced Portals requires a Gas turbine to ensure a completely stable portal connection between two portals. A microturbine seems to make a 50% stable portal.

I am nowhere near getting those portals so I haven't even tested them. Do they directly run off shaft power? Or do you need to make RF? Also sort of related. Does an AE network run directly off shaft power? Think I am getting close to building one.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone having any luck with the solar towers? I have used them in the past with no issues but I am getting no power out. As you can see in the picture, the mirrors are connected and show as active and it has water in it.
5eXauqN.png

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Why not Expanded Industry for the vanilla hopper/minecart improvements?

KB, I could probably see someone else asking that question. You, on the other hand... you do recall the conversation in the recipe thread between you, Draco, and myself, right? The one starting from the very first page? We actually covered this in some detail.

Here are the key points:
  • Minecart improvements are better handled by Railcraft (which also adds locomotives, traffic control, and track signaling).
  • The sluice would completely bypass the progression if there is copper and tin in the vicinity, since you'd be able to make a bronze pickaxe without actually finding and mining the copper and tin needed to make the alloy.
  • Between Refined Relocation and Extra Utilities nodes/pipes, the hopper modifications are of marginal utility at best, and those could just as easily be added using the Hopper Ducts mod.

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently, the solar tower issue is a known bug. The solution for the time being is exactly the opposite of the handbook's instructions: don't give the tower water.

Last edited:

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
And no, Enhanced portals do not accept shaft power; they will only work if the rotational dynamo is generating RF.

JeffPeng

Jul 29, 2019
What's the chance of having 2 or 3 bloodmoon nights in a row..? Was also within the first 5 nights on that server for me.
That was fun... At least I didn't have to worry about zombieflesh for a while.

Three bloodmoons in a row is actually 8 million to 1. Shoulda played the lottery, man.

JeffPeng

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to check if RoC can be configured to use BC oil directly. Failing that, I'll probably just disable the oil generation.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You can make lubricant from Oil with the liquid distillery. It's an early (not entry) level machine that requires a few gearboxes (2048nM) and to be run from at least a steam engine (min. req. 8192W)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently, the solar tower issue is a known bug. The solution for the time being is exactly the opposite of the handbook's instructions: don't give the tower water.
Thanx. I had done a google search and didn't find that.

And another possible bug. I can't seem to enchant the boring machine. Clicking on it with a book doesn't work like it has in the past. It works the way it should on the woodcutter, so I know I'm doing it right. I am able to enchant the borer using the "X" button in NEI to enchant it in cheat mode, so it seems to be enchantable. Although it doesn't work in enchanting tables(which it never did).

One more question. Not sure what mod it's related too, but the temperature inside buildings is acting strange. In my buildings that run east to west(longer in those directions), the west sides of the buildings have temperature drops that go from 25 degrees to -19 in the block next to it. It is not on a chunk border either, it is almost dead center of the chunk. I noticed because one set of my steam engines stopped working while another set that is 3 blocks east and 2 blocks south kept working. My fermenters that were on the floor above the steam engines also stopped working. But in my farming greenhouse that runs north to south(18x10), the west side of the building is maintaining proper indoor temps around 25, even against the west wall. So basically a rectangle building that runs east to west has outside temps on the west side while a rectangle building going north to south has consistent indoor temps in all areas. I thought maybe glass panes didn't count as sealing the building, so I swapped in full glass blocks but nothing changed. I also tried replacing carpenter's doors with vanilla doors and it didn't change anything either. I can file a bug report with the mod author, just not sure which mod is the issue.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
KB, I could probably see someone else asking that question. You, on the other hand... you do recall the conversation in the recipe thread between you, Draco, and myself, right? The one starting from the very first page?

No, I don't. Thank you for the reminder :).

Between Refined Relocation and Extra Utilities nodes/pipes, the hopper modifications are of marginal utility at best, and those could just as easily be added using the Hopper Ducts mod.

I've never used RR. EU ... I've learned is a very mixed bag, and ... the pipes/nodes of EU have seemed to me, when I used them, to be more of "Lets give you the best of modded pipes at the least cost to the server, so there's no reason for a player to not use it". I'm not calling it bad, or excessive -- it gives you the same stuff that other pipe mods give you. It just does it in a way that won't kill a server even when there's a lot of it.

I'm not a fan of them. They make things too easy on the players. If you just want to play with magic "It just works" pipes, fine; for me, solving the piping issues is as much of the build as the look of the building. (I also enjoy redstone wiring challenges).

Minecart improvements are better handled by Railcraft (which also adds locomotives, traffic control, and track signaling).

Railcraft ... I played with it a while back. It seemed to be a mod for people that want to play with model trains in minecraft (and isn't there a 1/72 scale train system? That's the minecraft scale), or simulate a full railroad industry. It didn't really seem to be something that plays nicely with vanilla rails; more like it does a complete replacement of the vanilla rail system.

This is what I like about Expanded Industry. The rail improvements, and hopper improvements, are about enhancing and working with vanilla systems, not about full replacements for the vanilla systems.

Small improvements, not wholescale replacements.

The sluice though ...

The sluice would completely bypass the progression if there is copper and tin in the vicinity, since you'd be able to make a bronze pickaxe without actually finding and mining the copper and tin needed to make the alloy.

I'm pretty certain the sluice lets you disable things that you don't want. And yea, progression is a good point.

Wait -- isn't the sluice, along with the windmill/grinder and sifter, in Harder Ores? That's what the wiki (and yea, I had to double check) says.

(I play with the whole thing).

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used RR. EU ... I've learned is a very mixed bag, and ... the pipes/nodes of EU have seemed to me, when I used them, to be more of "Lets give you the best of modded pipes at the least cost to the server, so there's no reason for a player to not use it". I'm not calling it bad, or excessive -- it gives you the same stuff that other pipe mods give you. It just does it in a way that won't kill a server even when there's a lot of it.

I'm not a fan of them. They make things too easy on the players. If you just want to play with magic "It just works" pipes, fine; for me, solving the piping issues is as much of the build as the look of the building. (I also enjoy redstone wiring challenges).

I had decided to include the ExU pipes as combination pipes, as opposed to the single-use pipes available through RotaryCraft, as an option for those who want to maximize their space.

Railcraft ... I played with it a while back. It seemed to be a mod for people that want to play with model trains in minecraft (and isn't there a 1/72 scale train system? That's the minecraft scale), or simulate a full railroad industry. It didn't really seem to be something that plays nicely with vanilla rails; more like it does a complete replacement of the vanilla rail system.

This is what I like about Expanded Industry. The rail improvements, and hopper improvements, are about enhancing and working with vanilla systems, not about full replacements for the vanilla systems.

Small improvements, not wholescale replacements.
I've not used RR much myself, but it seems to have a lot of filtration built into it, including "sorting hoppers", so I'll just leave it at that.

As far as Railcraft is concerned, it's basically an addition to the vanilla railcart system. It doesn't replace what's already there, it just adds on. There is some validity to the claim that the locomotives replace the vanilla powered rail, but for the most part, nothing else could be said to be made obsolete by Railcraft, and the linking system makes the minecarts that much more useful, since you can now have entire strings of carts going where you need them.

All in all, I want the minecart system to be more enticing for use; adding only a couple enhancements would make it enticing only for those who already make regular use of minecarts. Railcraft provides a draw for those who want the full-form... as you call it, "model trains in minecraft."

Also, I was born in 1975; so please indulge me my nostalgia for model train sets; I had always wanted one as a kid. ;)

The sluice though ...

I'm pretty certain the sluice lets you disable things that you don't want. And yea, progression is a good point.

Wait -- isn't the sluice, along with the windmill/grinder and sifter, in Harder Ores? That's what the wiki (and yea, I had to double check) says.

(I play with the whole thing).

I stand corrected.

Last edited:

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanx. I had done a google search and didn't find that.

And another possible bug. I can't seem to enchant the boring machine. Clicking on it with a book doesn't work like it has in the past. It works the way it should on the woodcutter, so I know I'm doing it right. I am able to enchant the borer using the "X" button in NEI to enchant it in cheat mode, so it seems to be enchantable. Although it doesn't work in enchanting tables(which it never did).

One more question. Not sure what mod it's related too, but the temperature inside buildings is acting strange. In my buildings that run east to west(longer in those directions), the west sides of the buildings have temperature drops that go from 25 degrees to -19 in the block next to it. It is not on a chunk border either, it is almost dead center of the chunk. I noticed because one set of my steam engines stopped working while another set that is 3 blocks east and 2 blocks south kept working. My fermenters that were on the floor above the steam engines also stopped working. But in my farming greenhouse that runs north to south(18x10), the west side of the building is maintaining proper indoor temps around 25, even against the west wall. So basically a rectangle building that runs east to west has outside temps on the west side while a rectangle building going north to south has consistent indoor temps in all areas. I thought maybe glass panes didn't count as sealing the building, so I swapped in full glass blocks but nothing changed. I also tried replacing carpenter's doors with vanilla doors and it didn't change anything either. I can file a bug report with the mod author, just not sure which mod is the issue.

Just a reminder: If you come across bugs in the game, or have suggestions for improving the game play, we have a Github where issues can be reported and tracked. I usually try to post thread-added issues and suggestions to the Github, but if you post them there too, it would make my work a little easier, and I would appreciate it. ;)

I'll have to look into the Boring Machine enchantment issue.

As for the temperatures, here's a little information:

I made the mistake of reporting an issue with harder wildlife's seasons affecting RotaryCraft machines without checking it first myself, only to find out that Reika's mods do not track temperatures like Harder Wildlife does; they are static, and determined by the biome in which you place the machines. Since biomes are not tied to chunk borders, this can sometimes happen inside a chunk. If you are in a colder biome, like a taiga, the temperature is -19. If you are in a warmer biome, like a field or forest, it's 25.

I mentioned the harder wildlife seasons to Reika (in reference to the assumption that the RoC machines were tracking them), and he thought it was a great idea, and is now interested in adding support for changing temperatures to his machines. Teaches me to open my big mouth. :p

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I knew that the RoC machines did not pay attention to Draco's temperature adjustments. I thought that was entirely on DragonAPI, and one of the few places where Reika was not interested in mod compatibility.

As far as Railcraft is concerned, it's basically an addition to the vanilla railcart system. It doesn't replace what's already there, it just adds on. There is some validity to the claim that the locomotives replace the vanilla powered rail, but for the most part, nothing else could be said to be made obsolete by Railcraft, and the linking system makes the minecarts that much more useful, since you can now have entire strings of carts going where you need them.

When I used it, it replaced the recipe for rails, changed how you made rails, added wooden rails and high-speed rails (don't turn on them), various speed control rails, etc.

What I saw was a complete replacement for, not an enhancement to.

With that said, I agree that vanilla carts need some kind of hookup. If only we had something that could be tied between carts, so that they could track each other. Like a leash. Yes, we have that pusher engine, but it's slow, and ... doesn't really work too well.

(Side note: Hopper carts (I believe they're the ones) have a very nice speed and distance; accelerate them in a loop, and they become a much better pusher)

reteo

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind the changed recipe actually reduces the total amount of iron needed to make the track; In vanilla, 6 iron ingots makes 16 tracks. In Railcraft, 4.5 iron ingots makes 32 tracks. And if you convert iron to steel, 2.25 iron ingots makes 32 tracks. An in all cases, the tracks that are made are the vanilla minecraft track; no new mechanics are introduced to the track.

In a mod where most of the tech is based on RotaryCraft, iron is at a decided premium, so the reduced iron cost is a good thing. ;)

Last edited: