[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Kmad

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I can see there's been a lot of posting today. I'm filled with curiosity as to the teaser as well ;)

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I can see there's been a lot of posting today. I'm filled with curiosity as to the teaser as well ;)

Same here.lol I guess its back to the refresh button:p I just don't want to start over, and hope it will work fine with just pruning my world. I really like this pack, but after almost completing every seed quest I don't think I can do it again for a third time.

Kmad

Jul 29, 2019
Same here.lol I guess its back to the refresh button:p I just don't want to start over, and hope it will work fine with just pruning my world. I really like this pack, but after almost completing every seed quest I don't think I can do it again for a third time.
Yeah, it's going to be fun doing a little server pruning. Guess I'll have to redo my Convocation...

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Hey everyone,

unfortunately we have it a currently non solve-able issue on regrowth. Here is a quick explanation:
  1. TileEntity (buildcraft pipe for example) interacting with a neighbor chunk
  2. neighbor chunk gets loaded
  3. chunk load initiates mekanism energy net recalculation of this chunk <- this takes a very very long time and causes those lag spikes
We are in a bad spot with this issue.
  1. no alternative energy cables/conduits
  2. essential to the game

Look forward to a resolution to this. :)

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

unfortunately we have it a currently non solve-able issue on regrowth. Here is a quick explanation:
  1. TileEntity (buildcraft pipe for example) interacting with a neighbor chunk
  2. neighbor chunk gets loaded
  3. chunk load initiates mekanism energy net recalculation of this chunk <- this takes a very very long time and causes those lag spikes
We are in a bad spot with this issue.
  1. no alternative energy cables/conduits
  2. essential to the game

Look forward to a resolution to this. :)

Build energy vertically, in the same chunk. Or chunkload, if there's a chunkloader somewhere in the pack (I dunno, I've not had to deal with that yet). Boom, solved. That said, if this was a universal issue, I feel like someone else would have built their power over chunk boundaries by now, so there may be something more to the issue on your end of things.

BL4DE

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question:
WHAT is it you try to accomplish?

I personally can not think of an essential reason to unload a chunk full of energy cables.

You try to disconnect a part of the energyreceivers that way or something?

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Build energy vertically, in the same chunk. Or chunkload, if there's a chunkloader somewhere in the pack (I dunno, I've not had to deal with that yet). Boom, solved. That said, if this was a universal issue, I feel like someone else would have built their power over chunk boundaries by now, so there may be something more to the issue on your end of things.

Yes, their are chunk loaders in the pack.

And this is an issue. I'm sorry that you feel that this is not a universal issue. Feel free to test what I post before judging it. The issue here is that recalculation of the mekanism energy net is very time consuming and do cause lag. Not so much an issue when you play with yourself, but this does become an issue when you have 40+ players on a server all moving about. All of them loading and unloading chunks, all of them building bases. So, Not so much an issue with single player, but sorta a big deal with servers.

I just posted this here as it IS an issue, and wanted to make @thephoenixlodge aware of the issue so that maybe he would be able to update to mekanism 8 and hopefully solve the issue.

By the way thephoenixlodge, wonderful mod pack and keep up the good work. We are starting our second node up pretty soon.

TestyMan

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, their are chunk loaders in the pack.

And this is an issue. I'm sorry that you feel that this is not a universal issue. Feel free to test what I post before judging it. The issue here is that recalculation of the mekanism energy net is very time consuming and do cause lag. Not so much an issue when you play with yourself, but this does become an issue when you have 40+ players on a server all moving about. All of them loading and unloading chunks, all of them building bases. So, Not so much an issue with single player, but sorta a big deal with servers.

I just posted this here as it IS an issue, and wanted to make @thephoenixlodge aware of the issue so that maybe he would be able to update to mekanism 8 and hopefully solve the issue.

By the way thephoenixlodge, wonderful mod pack and keep up the good work. We are starting our second node up pretty soon.

I never said it wasn't an issue, I said it wasn't a UNIVERSAL issue that most people playing the pack would experience. Part of the issue is that you've got a 40+ person server which puts quite a bit of strain no matter what you do.

Simple question:

I personally can not think of an essential reason to unload a chunk full of energy cables.

One reason to unload a chunk of anything is because you move too far away. That's a thing that happens. Going to the ocean, going out mob hunting, or, in the case of a server, going out to someone else's base for whatever reason. And as to what @Booker The Geek is trying to accomplish, while I can't say for sure, I can make the reasonable guess that he's trying to accomplish having an energy system that he doesn't always have to stay within render distance of. Just a guess, though. Anyway, I won't be available for you to argue at me, I'm just answering these before I go to bed, so night all.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Simple question:

Sorry if I was not more descriptive in my post. It is not only on chunk loading, but also upon minecraft performing a chunk update that this issue occurs.

And sorry if I sounded argumentative @TestyMan, You are very correct that it is not a universal issue. I was just pointing out that it is an issue. :) No hard feelings? But not just render distance, This happens when standing still as the BC pipes cause "Chunk updates" where the entire chunk is recalculated do to the amount of block updates that happen. This then causes the issue with the energy net.

BL4DE

Jul 29, 2019
One reason to unload a chunk of anything is because you move too far away.

As much as you like to think you're the smartest person on the internet let me tell you one thing.
You are not.
As you obviously are unable to read.

I asked for a reason why the unloading was allowed to happen playerwise not how the unloading is happening gamewise.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
As much as you like to think you're the smartest person on the internet let me tell you one thing.
You are not.
As you obviously are unable to read.

I asked for a reason why the unloading was allowed to happen playerwise not how the unloading is happening gamewise.
Bit rude.

I think @Booker The Geek's response was rather politer than you deserved there. Its "allowed" to happen because its a default mechanic in the game - and there are things you can do to prevent it.