[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Baconus_Yum

Jul 29, 2019
The problem lies in the fact that 1. You seem to just want to rush TC for the sake of automation (I may be a little wrong about this, this debate has been a little heated and occurred over the course of a couple days) and 2. You seem set on the idea/insistent that each mod should be available from the start and 3. You're the only one finding issue with the structure of the pack, which suggests you might find it more enjoyable to play something else.
The thing is, automation really doesn't need to be a priority and a big part of the progression and tone of the pack is taking it easy and just keeping it chill. Until you actually get to the point where golems are available, manual harvesting is more than sufficient income of resources and most people do it as a system of harvesting as you need the resources - You don't need to harvest everything as soon as it's grown at all except when you first get a seed.
As for mods being gated behind other mods; That's just how I've decided to structure the pack as a whole. You have 3 progressions to work through - Materials/Farming, Magic and Tech. As it happens I've decided that the magic progression occurs as Botania -> Witchery -> Thaumcraft -> Blood Magic. Now you say I shouldn't have the wand and Thaumonomicon available when they are since the rest of the mod is unavailable, but tell me, what would you do to change the recipe of the IRON CAPPED WOODEN wand? It's recipe is damn well spelt out in its name. Heck, the quests even say how little usage you have for the few things you can make early on.
Lastly, need I mention that the pack is designed to be something that I myself enjoy playing. If I don't enjoy it there's no point in working on it as it will just wear me down and I likely won't actually be able to make good judgement calls on balance due to not having played.

On that note however, I'm currently not thrilled with how the Blast furnace part of the tech progression sits at present and have been thinking about a way to make it better as a whole for a while. Now, you may be aware Garden Stuff has recently added a material called Wrought Iron, which is used to make a number of nice looking decorative stuff. In the current version of the pack, this wrought iron is made by smelting iron in a furnace, but in the newest version of Garden Stuff, a new block called a Bloomery Furnace was added specifically for making wrought iron in.
This presents itself as a perfect opportunity and means to change the current way the blast furnace is made. I'm thinking I will likely change it so it no longer requires Titanium, and in fact Titanium will be shifted to being a post blast furnace material specifically targeted for being used in Mekanism. In the place of the current titanium in the recipe will be the Wrought Iron, and the Bloomery will probably be made to require being made using some of the earlier tech stuff - maybe it'll even be made in the carpenter (forestry has been a little unintegrated thus far).
I'm probably going to have this as being in 0.8 along with the planned worldgen additions/changes, but I'd like a bit of feedback on this possible change sooner rather than later.
Also, are there going to be quests in a later update for blood magic and mekanism?

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
I personally feel that the gating of mods and resources is almost perfect. The only thing I would change is buildcraft, but that's just because it's my least favorite tech mod. :)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
On that note however, I'm currently not thrilled with how the Blast furnace part of the tech progression sits at present and have been thinking about a way to make it better as a whole for a while. Now, you may be aware Garden Stuff has recently added a material called Wrought Iron, which is used to make a number of nice looking decorative stuff. In the current version of the pack, this wrought iron is made by smelting iron in a furnace, but in the newest version of Garden Stuff, a new block called a Bloomery Furnace was added specifically for making wrought iron in.
This presents itself as a perfect opportunity and means to change the current way the blast furnace is made. I'm thinking I will likely change it so it no longer requires Titanium, and in fact Titanium will be shifted to being a post blast furnace material specifically targeted for being used in Mekanism. In the place of the current titanium in the recipe will be the Wrought Iron, and the Bloomery will probably be made to require being made using some of the earlier tech stuff - maybe it'll even be made in the carpenter (forestry has been a little unintegrated thus far).
I'm probably going to have this as being in 0.8 along with the planned worldgen additions/changes, but I'd like a bit of feedback on this possible change sooner rather than later.

I like the bloomery and wrought iron idea. Titanium feels out of place. Keep in mind it may also affect the Tinker's Construct pick progression. (I know, teach my grandmother to suck eggs... )

shdwDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I am stumped. What am I missing?

Energized node right next to ATR with 4 terra vis. Arbor essentia in warded jars. Jungle focus needs arbor, Thaumonomicon says. I put down some relays and vis flows to and through them just fine but see no indication the ATR is doing anything. No essentia burn,

HJpx0GS.jpg

Another shot:

SzSc8No.jpg

I tried applying a redstone signal to ATR (though no mention it needs one) and that made no difference.

Book says 4 vis and 4 essentia per coord changed. No sign any has changed and still have all the essentia (64+64+19).
It took me awhile of testing until I finally figured out how to make it work myself. The arbor has to be piped into the bottom of the reformer. You can either put one warded jar directly underneath and just replace when it runs out or use essentia pipes (what I did) to make the connection.

Also, just an FYI as to how it works. As it says in the book, it does have a radius of 16 blocks, however, what it doesn't mention, is that it chooses a random block to change each time it does its work. It also does work in a square shape (and not a circle like how witchery's circle magic would do it). Just be aware that to do the entire size it is capable of, you will need a LOT more warded jars that what you have there. I believe 16 full jars will do it if my math is correct.

My last point of advice, give it plenty of time to work, its not super quick at it and you can see it work while its doing it. I would also recommend closing the world and reloading when it is done as well. When it finished for me some blocks still showed wasteland so I thought it wasn't done so kept feeding it more arbor, but once I relogged it was perfect. Although, because of this mistake of feeding it more arbor than it needed, I learned that it will keep accepting arbor even when it has nothing to do and when you break it you lose all of that, so you want to be careful to not give it more than it needs.

If you want to make life easier, and not have to lug the warded jars back and forth, you can always connect a couple of pipes to the reformer and then put an essentia pump to the end, and an essentia mirror close by that it can pull from and then the mirror's pair near a warded jar of arbor at your alembic and it'll grab from it constantly. Just be careful of giving it more than it needs like i did :)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: MrZwij

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone else had any experience with enhanced inventories chest with hopper? I made an iron hopper chest with white wool and birch planks and pipped it on top of my crucible to queue many ores, and crashed. Luckily I came back and could still enter the world. Chest was gone, but honestly, I count that as a bonus. I don't want no world crashing chests.

Edit: while on the topic of my crucible setup, does anyone know of a way that I can make something that I can input anything, and it will automatically craft in a chest recipe shape? I'm thinking essence to ores here. I'm unfamiliar with botania auto crafting, but I think that's the trick.

Last edited:

Joi76

Jul 29, 2019
got the same problem on my server, happened after the last update 0.7.2
we can see the altar from several blocks away, but when we approach it, it disappears...
Same goes for the Alchemic Chemistry Set
we started the server at 0.7.1 and didn't have that problem then
now we also have a lot of invisible mobs running around, especially annoying in the nether... but a pack of invisible direwolves can be quite bad as well, even in a decent armor.
Last time I saw this kinda bug in other modpacks was when looking at shimmerleafs... wasn't that related to NEI?

removing WAILAPlugins-MC1.7.10-0.0.1-14.jar fixed the problem with invisible Blood Magic items

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
It took me awhile of testing until I finally figured out how to make it work myself. The arbor has to be piped into the bottom of the reformer. You can either put one warded jar directly underneath and just replace when it runs out or use essentia pipes (what I did) to make the connection.

Also, just an FYI as to how it works. As it says in the book, it does have a radius of 16 blocks, however, what it doesn't mention, is that it chooses a random block to change each time it does its work. It also does work in a square shape (and not a circle like how witchery's circle magic would do it). Just be aware that to do the entire size it is capable of, you will need a LOT more warded jars that what you have there. I believe 16 full jars will do it if my math is correct.

My last point of advice, give it plenty of time to work, its not super quick at it and you can see it work while its doing it. I would also recommend closing the world and reloading when it is done as well. When it finished for me some blocks still showed wasteland so I thought it wasn't done so kept feeding it more arbor, but once I relogged it was perfect. Although, because of this mistake of feeding it more arbor than it needed, I learned that it will keep accepting arbor even when it has nothing to do and when you break it you lose all of that, so you want to be careful to not give it more than it needs.

If you want to make life easier, and not have to lug the warded jars back and forth, you can always connect a couple of pipes to the reformer and then put an essentia pump to the end, and an essentia mirror close by that it can pull from and then the mirror's pair near a warded jar of arbor at your alembic and it'll grab from it constantly. Just be careful of giving it more than it needs like i did :)

Hope this helps!

That should help! Thanks. I know I don't have the essentia there for a complete reform, but was trying to prove concept before I invested a lot. The 16x16 I understood, though I wish it just worked in a single chunk as Silverwood pure nodes do, would make things a bit easier (though more blocky!) I think I like the random point thing. I think. Once wasteland is dead and gone from an area, a little blending at the edges might be nicer than a sharp line like pure nodes do. (So I half like and half dislike pure node logic...)

I will probably work out a system where I load 16 jars and let them empty, then consider a square done and move to next.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
The problem lies in the fact that 1. You seem to just want to rush TC for the sake of automation (I may be a little wrong about this, this debate has been a little heated and occurred over the course of a couple days) and 2. You seem set on the idea/insistent that each mod should be available from the start and 3. You're the only one finding issue with the structure of the pack, which suggests you might find it more enjoyable to play something else.
The thing is, automation really doesn't need to be a priority and a big part of the progression and tone of the pack is taking it easy and just keeping it chill. Until you actually get to the point where golems are available, manual harvesting is more than sufficient income of resources and most people do it as a system of harvesting as you need the resources - You don't need to harvest everything as soon as it's grown at all except when you first get a seed.
As for mods being gated behind other mods; That's just how I've decided to structure the pack as a whole. You have 3 progressions to work through - Materials/Farming, Magic and Tech. As it happens I've decided that the magic progression occurs as Botania -> Witchery -> Thaumcraft -> Blood Magic. Now you say I shouldn't have the wand and Thaumonomicon available when they are since the rest of the mod is unavailable, but tell me, what would you do to change the recipe of the IRON CAPPED WOODEN wand? It's recipe is damn well spelt out in its name. Heck, the quests even say how little usage you have for the few things you can make early on.
Lastly, need I mention that the pack is designed to be something that I myself enjoy playing. If I don't enjoy it there's no point in working on it as it will just wear me down and I likely won't actually be able to make good judgement calls on balance due to not having played.

I've said several times that I want to be able to try out basic stuff of TC, like research, so that I can at least see what that is going to look like. Without needing insanely complicated stuff to make a basic table. You could probably change the iron-capped wand recipe to use dreamwood for example, there's your Alfheim connection. Where did I say anything about golems? By the time you get to TC you probably don't need to automate them, I myself have so many resources that I can delete all my farms altogether (and I'm still making the table).

That's not the point though. The point is that the way you currently connected TC with Botania and Witchery does not allow a lot of freedom. You could make TC more standalone, so that we don't have to go back to other mods and do their end-game stuff that we don't need at that point. If you want their end-game to be done, you could implement it without making it a hard requirement for the other mods, or make sure that by the time we get to TC we already have all the other end-game available. To make the TC table you need an Alfheim portal, an agglomeration plate, and several witchery structures. All of which have a great creative potential, that goes wasted by the clusterfuck of certain recipes.

I don't know what you enjoy, but I don't want just different recipes (although granted, the progression here is mostly great). After so many modpacks, building the same square base with random machinery build all over the place gets tiring, and that is what some of your recipes are encouraging. I'm watching some let's plays, and it's the same "base" everyone did in Crash Landing or Agrarian Skies or whatever (I made the same base several times). You can encourage more interesting gameplay instead, through the quests and recipes. A more natural progression could be more fun, where you don't suddenly have to build a bunch of complicated stuff. For example, do all the seeds have to be made the same way? If you split them so that each tier is made in a different mod, we can concentrate on one mod at a time, build them up as much as we need or want, and then move to the next tier. Problem solved, everyone can build or not build, and enjoy each mod as much as they want.

I like the wrought iron fences, and it would be nice to have a dedicated structure to make them. That would fit in nicely in a smithing area. I'd be careful with the Forestry though, it was a bit unintuitive to figure out. If getting cosmetics is too daunting, it will again encourage skipping it and going back to the square base.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
That should help! Thanks. I know I don't have the essentia there for a complete reform, but was trying to prove concept before I invested a lot. The 16x16 I understood, though I wish it just worked in a single chunk as Silverwood pure nodes do, would make things a bit easier (though more blocky!) I think I like the random point thing. I think. Once wasteland is dead and gone from an area, a little blending at the edges might be nicer than a sharp line like pure nodes do. (So I half like and half dislike pure node logic...)

I will probably work out a system where I load 16 jars and let them empty, then consider a square done and move to next.

Yep, that worked. Now to crank up arbor production!

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
A question. Hopefully a simple one, but a question nonetheless:

Why are my crops just popping off every now and again? Kind of really annoying, almost lost my upgraded wheat seeds and lost a third of my basic sugarcane farm from this.
(I'm assuming this is AgriCraft's doing, but the config doesn't seem to show any kind of thing relating to crops just popping off their sticks)
2015-03-30_16.00.20.png

shdwDragon

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with you, I'd love to have more fine control over the exact size. You probably will get the "blocky at the edge of the 16x16. I know for me, the last couple of rows changed colors in a kind of gradient so it tried to blend but isn't 100% perfect. What I did was just make a large greenhouse and outside of the greenhouse was cracked sand, so between that and the walls of the greenhouse you can't see any kind of sudden change in the ground so its not too bad. Although it is pretty funny when it rains :) Just that area is getting rained on and the rest isn't. Although its not as funny as the rain in the size of a silverwood tree node magical forest lol

shdwDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, that worked. Now to crank up arbor production!
Glad to hear it! I wish the documentation on the thaumonomacon (I can never spell that!) actually gave you more details. It is pretty cool watching it work though! I'll definitely be using it again in the future.