[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
Does the mass fabricator(LV) require 16 amps of power? I just cannot get it work without feeding it that much, even when using a dedicated buffer. Only when I resorted to using a 16-slot battery buffer would it work, however this means a lot of transformers and thus huge losses.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
A quick question regarding the processing array. Do you only have to consider the total amount of energy required for all of the machines it contain or do you also have to consider the voltage tier of the machine in question? For instance i wanna use processing arrays to handle all the 24 MV centrifuges i need to handle the pahoe lava from my large heat exchanger. Do i need to feed it 16 amps of MV to run the machine or could i just feed it 1 amps of EV or IV to give it all the power it needs?

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
A quick question regarding the processing array. Do you only have to consider the total amount of energy required for all of the machines it contain or do you also have to consider the voltage tier of the machine in question? For instance i wanna use processing arrays to handle all the 24 MV centrifuges i need to handle the pahoe lava from my large heat exchanger. Do i need to feed it 16 amps of MV to run the machine or could i just feed it 1 amps of EV or IV to give it all the power it needs?

Afaik you can run a 32 LV centrifuge array on 2x hv amp(due to loss) so I think you should be able to upscale it to 24 *128 which should be 1x IV, although I am not sure.

Edit: i mean 16LV array not 32

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
So the answer to your question is that the voltage is not important as long as it passes the threshhold of the recepy. If the voltage is high enough then only the total amount of amps*voltage you send into the multiblock needs to be considered. That is actually very nice as it reduces cable losses and transformation losses by a lot if you use a processing array with 1 amps of IV rather than transform it down into 24 amps of MV.

Also i read something that caught my eye on the wiki page on processing arrays. Can many of the GT multiblocks share walls? i know since before you can do that with the bronze blast furnace but can you also do this with some of the other multiblock structures? And in that case which ones can you do this with?

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
I created an "Unbreaking V" enchanted book with infusion enchanting, but whenever i want to apply it to a tool (via a vanilla anvil) i only get "Unbreaking III". Am i doing something wrong?

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
So the answer to your question is that the voltage is not important as long as it passes the threshhold of the recepy. If the voltage is high enough then only the total amount of amps*voltage you send into the multiblock needs to be considered. That is actually very nice as it reduces cable losses and transformation losses by a lot if you use a processing array with 1 amps of IV rather than transform it down into 24 amps of MV.

Also i read something that caught my eye on the wiki page on processing arrays. Can many of the GT multiblocks share walls? i know since before you can do that with the bronze blast furnace but can you also do this with some of the other multiblock structures? And in that case which ones can you do this with?

Mostly all? I think that as long as they all fit the rules(i.e hollow in the middle), have a separate maintenace hatch/energy hatch it should work fine. I share blast furnaces, distillation towers, soon to be processing arrays. For blast furnaces I generally share one input bus between all and 2x output buses.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Most or all of the ones with a central controller block can do this. Even the large turbines can do this, although you have to reverse the directions of the turbine controllers so the "front" render doesn't overlap.

Reactions: Joel Falk

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Mind blown!
How does it work with sharing input and output slots? And how does it work with energy hatches? Lets say i share the maximum amount of walls by building a 4 blast furnaces as a 5x5x4. Does it still need the same amounts of inputs and outputs and can they all share energy hatches as well or do they still need their own separate energy hatches and input/output?

By the sound of it i could likely rebuild my 3 current stand alone blast furnaces into a joint 5x5x4 blast furnace by just adding one more electric blast furnace main block with very few other additions.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Most or all of the ones with a central controller block can do this. Even the large turbines can do this, although you have to reverse the directions of the turbine controllers so the "front" render doesn't overlap.

You just improved my lava heat exchanger turbine setup A LOT. This means i could potentially fit 6 turbines in the same space where i had 4... This lava setup is gonna be such a monster ! :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You just improved my lava heat exchanger turbine setup A LOT. This means i could potentially fit 6 turbines in the same space where i had 4... This lava setup is gonna be such a monster ! :D
The logistics of such a setup may be a bit messy/spacious (because of the reversed directions) and I don't know how the import/export hatches will perform for you with 6 of them interconnected.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
The logistics of such a setup may be a bit messy/spacious (because of the reversed directions) and I don't know how the import/export hatches will perform for you with 6 of them interconnected.

Im gonna see if i can make it work. I would have 3 large high pressure turbine and 3 regular ones sharing floor/roof to make two 7 high, 3 wide and 4 long turbine multiblocks. i would have 1 block between the high pressure and low pressure multiblock so that i only need 3 huge tungstensteel pipes to connect them. The major gain is that it requires a lot less space but also it will be a lot cheaper to connect the high pressire turbines to the heat exchanger. Preferably you want only 1 huge tungstensteel pipe between the output of the LHE which only works for one turbine. Now i could connect all three with 1+1+3 huge tungstensteel pipes instead of 1+3+7.

Would save on a substantial amount of turbine casings as well.

However i do think that the most can be gained from doing this with electric blast furnaces. Either make a long row of 2x2 or 1x1 blast furnaces and you should save a lot of heat proof casings and coils.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
However i do think that the most can be gained from doing this with electric blast furnaces. Either make a long row of 2x2 or 1x1 blast furnaces and you should save a lot of heat proof casings and coils.
The major downside to this is you can't have EBFs of different tiers. I often "roll over" my EBFs, so that I'll have one MV, and then I'll add a new HV rather than upgrade the MV. Its a handier setup if you're being strict about power consumption and you don't need your steel production to go at 2.5s instead of 5s or whatever it is.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly all? I think that as long as they all fit the rules(i.e hollow in the middle), have a separate maintenace hatch/energy hatch it should work fine. I share blast furnaces, distillation towers, soon to be processing arrays. For blast furnaces I generally share one input bus between all and 2x output buses.

Yep, I've shared walls with the BBF, EBF, Distillation Tower, Processing Array, and Multi-Smelter. I'm guessing the pyrolyse oven and oil cracking unit would work for this also, but haven't tried it. The EBF lends itself to wall sharing really well. 4 EBFs in a shared wall multiblock is basically the same resources to set up as 4 individual EBFs.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
So they still require the same amount if input/outputs but you save a lot of space and require less casings and coils?

S

Sixpaq

Being new to this mod pack I have a probably noobish question . . . Am I missing some form of automation for charcoal / fuel in the LV stage or is it intended to have to manually chop trees and smelt to charcoal in a charcoal pit? I find I'm spending most of my time doing this in order to feed my bronze GT boiler. I'm not opposed to it necessarily, I just don't want to be wasting my time manually doing this if there is a better way that I haven't found. Can't use golems in LV that I could figure out, nor can I make EIO tree farm.

I also tried biogas. I have a setup that has one enriching canner feeding 3 LV distilleries to make biogas that can barely keep up with the 4 gas turbines there are powering. Overall net gain is extremely small for a lot of infrastructure (for me at this stage anyway).

I guess overall, I'm just not sure how to actually generate enough power with the the tools I have available in LV, at least not without spending a huge chunk of time chopping trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Being new to this mod pack I have a probably noobish question . . . Am I missing some form of automation for charcoal / fuel in the LV stage or is it intended to have to manually chop trees and smelt to charcoal in a charcoal pit? I find I'm spending most of my time doing this in order to feed my bronze GT boiler. I'm not opposed to it necessarily, I just don't want to be wasting my time manually doing this if there is a better way that I haven't found. Can't use golems in LV that I could figure out, nor can I make EIO tree farm.

I also tried biogas. I have a setup that has one enriching canner feeding 3 LV distilleries to make biogas that can barely keep up with the 4 gas turbines there are powering. Overall net gain is extremely small for a lot of infrastructure (for me at this stage anyway).

I guess overall, I'm just not sure how to actually generate enough power with the the tools I have available in LV, at least not without spending a huge chunk of time chopping trees
The trick really is to chop better trees. Use a GT axe (even flint works), and chop the bottom block of a tree, and every connected tree block (directly) above that one will also get chopped. This makes fir trees invaluable: You can get stacks of logs from a single fir tree (its 2x2, very tall and no branches)

I believe you can also do 2x2 spruce which are half-decent as well.

Lastly make sure you mine your brittle charcoal with an axe if you aren't already. It insta-mines it.

All of the above will make your charcoal pit work much faster.

Ultra-lastly, consider supplementing your steel generation with thaumcraft; all you need is Ordo, which you can get from rewewable resources (candleberry). 90% of my steel comes from TC.

S

Sixpaq

The trick really is to chop better trees. Use a GT axe (even flint works), and chop the bottom block of a tree, and every connected tree block (directly) above that one will also get chopped. This makes fir trees invaluable: You can get stacks of logs from a single fir tree (its 2x2, very tall and no branches)

I believe you can also do 2x2 spruce which are half-decent as well.

Lastly make sure you mine your brittle charcoal with an axe if you aren't already. It insta-mines it.

All of the above will make your charcoal pit work much faster.

Ultra-lastly, consider supplementing your steel generation with thaumcraft; all you need is Ordo, which you can get from rewewable resources (candleberry). 90% of my steel comes from TC.
That works. Thanks. I am doing all of those things so I'm glad I'm on the right track. I just was hoping to get some more automation going once I had electricity. Seems strange to have to chop by hand while at the same time I can make machines to bend steel and assemble NAND chips. I'm not opposed to spending resources on building the infrastructure to chop. Just maybe a little surprised it's not an option.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That works. Thanks. I am doing all of those things so I'm glad I'm on the right track. I just was hoping to get some more automation going once I had electricity. Seems strange to have to chop by hand while at the same time I can make machines to bend steel and assemble NAND chips. I'm not opposed to spending resources on building the infrastructure to chop. Just maybe a little surprised it's not an option.
Even in the 21st century we still don't have the infrastructure to automatically chop a tree once it reaches a given size. We still use (massive) tools for that :)
I'm mostly teasing here: we totally could do this if we wanted to make a machine that waited 50 years for a tree to reach reasonable growth and automatically chop it down.