[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
I'm mostly teasing here: we totally could do this if we wanted to make a machine that waited 50 years for a tree to reach reasonable growth and automatically chop it down.
yeah but it turns out its easier to produce lumberjack cores for golems, than to implement such machines

//hope Im not offending any of lumberjacks with this.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Tangentially: Chop golems are honestly one of those most brutally powerful things in this pack. You can run an atomic-level industry with nothing but virtually-free charcoal if you want to.

S

Sixpaq

I know I know, it all does make a sort of sense :). I need to recheck when I get home, for some reason I didn't think I could make chop golems yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

Sixpaq

And by the way thanks for all the help.

Tangentially, did I waste a bunch of time/resources trying to get something out of biogas? :p. I have a 1 compressor (to compress carrots to plant balls) feeding a macerator for biochaff, feeding one solid/liquid canner on fluid enrich for biomass, feeding 3 GT distilleries. The system can barely feed 4 LV Gas turbines, and is net negative on power consumption when all the machines run. Since the compressor/macerator/canner don't run 100% of the time the system is overall net positive, but just barely. Any idea on how to make this actually useful? More distilleries and gas turbines?

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
Tangentially, did I waste a bunch of time/resources trying to get something out of biogas? :p. I have a 1 compressor (to compress carrots to plant balls) feeding a macerator for biochaff, feeding one solid/liquid canner on fluid enrich for biomass, feeding 3 GT distilleries. The system can barely feed 4 LV Gas turbines, and is net negative on power consumption when all the machines run. Since the compressor/macerator/canner don't run 100% of the time the system is overall net positive, but just barely. Any idea on how to make this actually useful? More distilleries and gas turbines?
Can't check that right now, but iirc biogas production is taking ~28ish EU/t in distillery
it would be better to spin those carrots in centrifuges instead to get methane.
I did not do the math, but 2 centiruges, spinning about 1 carrot per minute (e.g. extremely low input) was energy-positive (little bit). If you put it to constant spinning, it would be much better; also you can put mob drops in there (well meat), which I've used to have in giant quantities.

Got to my PC, math is as follows:
72 mb of methane per carrot,1440 eu; 1000 methane in lv gas turbine = 0.95*45000 eu = 42750 eu
soo (1000/72)*1440 = 20000 eu needed to produce 1 bucket of methane, so 22750 eu as "profit" eu for 1 centrifuge powering 1 turbine.
If you run a forestry farm, this becomes energy neutral, if not energy-negative; so what I did on my base was a small 1x1 steam boiler from RC, feeding into steam turbine, running forestry farm (enough energy for 3x4x4 non-managed farm structure); 3/4 of farm w/ carrots, 1/4 with resin; all carrots go into centrifuges, which feed 1 gas turbine and RC tank. Tank is slowly gaining some methane, which I'm using in my polyethylene-production.

Last edited:

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Can't check that right now, but iirc biogas production is taking ~28ish EU/t in distillery
it would be better to spin those carrots in centrifuges instead to get methane.
I did not do the math, but 2 centiruges, spinning about 1 carrot per minute (e.g. extremely low input) was energy-positive (little bit). If you put it to constant spinning, it would be much better; also you can put mob drops in there (well meat), which I've used to have in giant quantities.

Got to my PC, math is as follows:
72 mb of methane per carrot,1440 eu; 1000 methane in lv gas turbine = 0.95*45000 eu = 42750 eu
soo (1000/72)*1440 = 20000 eu needed to produce 1 bucket of methane, so 22750 eu as "profit" eu for 1 centrifuge powering 1 turbine.
If you run a forestry farm, this becomes energy neutral, if not energy-negative; so what I did on my base was a small 1x1 steam boiler from RC, feeding into steam turbine, running forestry farm (enough energy for 3x4x4 non-managed farm structure); 3/4 of farm w/ carrots, 1/4 with resin; all carrots go into centrifuges, which feed 1 gas turbine and RC tank. Tank is slowly gaining some methane, which I'm using in my polyethylene-production.

I always wondered why my favorite toasted sandwich consisting of toast, margarine, sliced smoked pork, sliced Roma tomatoes, corn relish, and 99% fat-free cheese, with a light sprinkling of salt on the tomatoes always produced so much gas whenever I eat one! That would be a neat setup to view if you can share pics of it sometime! :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

S

Sixpaq

Fascinating, thank you for the math and explanation!

Out of curiosity, did you get those fuel values in game somehow or from wikis / experience. I can see in NEI how to make it, just not the burn values (EU per carrot, for example). I love figuring this stuff out I just didn't have the values in game, and didn't trust any wiki for Infitech since they are usually out of date or don't match other things I can see in NEI. So I net with a brute force "try it and see" with biogas. Looks like a poor choice on my part. I'll check out methane. Thanks!

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
Out of curiosity, did you get those fuel values in game somehow
yep, find "<(gas|fuel) you want> cell" in game. If you right click it in nei, it would show you usages for this cell, including energy values. You have to click around for a while, tho, and it only works with "cell" items, not with the "gas" nei item.
As for energy cost of producing, when you look throught machine's recipes for GT they show info on every aspect of the recipe
(e.g. if you look for methane gas, then click through the list till you get to centirfuge, then you click through it again till you get to carrots; you will see how many methane would you get from 1 item (protip: you can get more methane per apple or carrot if you add some gold to it; you'll lose some gold this way and energy usage is very same, but for "start-up" operation and|or if your carrot supply is low it is just fine), you have a small window with EU/t, overall eu and time for every recipe)

Reactions: Sixpaq
S

Sixpaq

Ah the cell is the key. Thanks. I usually look at the raw fluid entry in NEI to figure out what makes what. Thank for the tip(s)!

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019
Neat things I've learned today. Beeswax contains 3 ordo and no other aspects.

bye-bye candleberries probably.
Heh, I like to explore mods looking for little nuggets like this and discovered the ordo in beeswax a while back. I was very surprised that nobody else ever mentioned it and assumed people just didn't play with Pam's bees much. Guess the secret is out! :-D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Heh, I like to explore mods looking for little nuggets like this and discovered the ordo in beeswax a while back. I was very surprised that nobody else ever mentioned it and assumed people just didn't play with Pam's bees much. Guess the secret is out! :-D
Is Pam's bees a factor here? I noticed it in forestry wax but I have no idea what weird cross-modness might be happening.

I do definitely keep track of interesting aspect sources. For instance: Chili peppers are an excellent renewable source of ignis :)

Reactions: Sixpaq

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Another inquiry: are BC pipes the earliest piping type, or is there something I'm missing out on? I'm kinda hanging around mid LV these days checking out everything it has to offer before I assemble my EBF (which I have more than enough resources for)

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019
Is Pam's bees a factor here?
I thought I found it in Pam's, but I have not actually checked since the official release of 3.2... been too busy building stuff for fun. I will have to double-check when I get back into Thaumcraft.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

Another inquiry: are BC pipes the earliest piping type, or is there something I'm missing out on? I'm kinda hanging around mid LV these days checking out everything it has to offer before I assemble my EBF (which I have more than enough resources for)
it's most likely the cheapest pipes... although in mid LV you've probably been into the nether so you have access to eIO Conduits(need nether quarts and blaze rods and such) and you also have access to different tiers of GT pipes, both liquid and item pipes.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
it's most likely the cheapest pipes... although in mid LV you've probably been into the nether so you have access to eIO Conduits(need nether quarts and blaze rods and such) and you also have access to different tiers of GT pipes, both liquid and item pipes.
I've been using the Conduits, one trip to the nether and you've got all the quartz you need for a little while even if you cant sift/autoclave the stuff dusts.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
This might be know to a lot of people but a very neat trick when you want to controle the flow into a certain machine you can use one of the many GT pipes as a flow restrictor. This becomes extremly relevent especially when you want to controle large flows of fluids into the large turbine. The way the output hatch works with the large heat exchanger (and most likely the GT boilers) is that it fills them in a certain order and they automatically output as much as they can into adjecent fluid inventories.

So the only thing you need to do to get an exact amount of steam to a specific rotor is to find a pipe that has the exact same maximal flowrate as the nominal flow rate of the turbine. once it sends the nominal amount to the first turbine it will then fill upp the hatch and move on to the second hatch where you do the same again. The only thing you need to regulate in the large heat exchanger is the flow of lava which can easily be done with an IC2 flow controler so that you do not produce more superheated steam than all of your output pipes can handle as it then starts voiding the excess (and distilled water starts dissapearing).

So the key to controling flow rates in GT is to utilize the auto output function of multiple hatches and regulate the flowrate with one of the many GT pipes that are available :)

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys play per day? I can usually only squeze in an hour or two during the week and something like 5-10 hours every second weekend. This is the main reason why i didn't resett for 3.2 since progress is so slow for me :p

Last edited: