1.7.10 FTB Pack News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
Man, the HQM hate confuses me. I think Scott is probably right, that the name "Hardcore Questing Mode" is probably getting people thinking that it's something that it's not.

Honestly, as a relative newb, I was thinking that HQM would be great for using as a mod showcase...maybe something that mod creators could use to create a "tutorial" for their new mods. Especially for mods that might seem a little overwhelming to begin with.

I know in a lot of ways, AS is teaching me how to use (and appreciate) some mods I'd never used previously.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Man, the HQM hate confuses me. I think Scott is probably right, that the name "Hardcore Questing Mode" is probably getting people thinking that it's something that it's not.

Honestly, as a relative newb, I was thinking that HQM would be great for using as a mod showcase...maybe something that mod creators could use to create a "tutorial" for their new mods. Especially for mods that might seem a little overwhelming to begin with.

I know in a lot of ways, AS is teaching me how to use (and appreciate) some mods I'd never used previously.

it started out as a hardcore questing mod, but it quickly became much more then just that
sadly alot of people don't have the imagination to see the potential of this mod, nor know that they can simply disable the mod if they don't want it

Reactions: Jadedcat

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I'm a L33T Hax0r, I can do anything I want

tIWeqtH.gif
Powers beyond comprehension.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
FTB Team: Thanks for the info and teasers. Enjoying keeping an eye on this.

Anyone else weirdly interested in the actual names they end up choosing for the packs? Some of the past ones have been really clever.

HQM: For me it does what the "achievements" system failed to do: gives me a reason to step outside my regular paths and try something new.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Also as clarification for some confusion:

Will there be a pack that combines tech and magic? Yes

Will there be a pack that throws every popular mod at a wall and hopes they almost work together? No

You want a pack where people just throw every mod they can load without crashing in a folder... you don't need a modpack team to do it for you.

In my 30+ years of experience in Network/LAN management and tech support I've noticed that people in general don't do things for themselves because they want someone to whine at when things go south :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

This is exactly the use I see for HQM... I'm relatively new to modded Minecraft and many of the more complex mods evade my understanding.

For example, I understand the concepts of many of the advanced machines but most videos seem to assume that the construction of the component parts is old hat and skip those processes for time considerations. Do I need to use IC2 to process the raw materials or will TiCo do the job? I haven't a clue. Heck... What IC2 machines are essential and which are optional?

I would love to see some if not all the mods include a HQM tutorial book that gives some hands-on experience in building at least starter configurations for their content.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
This is exactly the use I see for HQM... I'm relatively new to modded Minecraft and many of the more complex mods evade my understanding.

For example, I understand the concepts of many of the advanced machines but most videos seem to assume that the construction of the component parts is old hat and skip those processes for time considerations. Do I need to use IC2 to process the raw materials or will TiCo do the job? I haven't a clue. Heck... What IC2 machines are essential and which are optional?

I would love to see some if not all the mods include a HQM tutorial book that gives some hands-on experience in building at least starter configurations for their content.
I would like to see HQM used for ComputerCraft. I am trying to learn the ComputerCraft mod, it has a extremely steep learning curve though (at least for me it does). Having quests walk me through all of it would be nice.

Though a in game wiki would be outstanding. Not just a mod that leads to a wiki site that can be used in game. A actual in game wiki. I am thinking something along the lines of NEI, but extremely more in depth and maybe interacting with HQM. How it would be constructed and maintained I don't know.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I would like to believe there will be servers with and without HCQ.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
irregardless (lol to piss of people for the fun of it) of its merit, servers probably will get along fine with a config to disable it or to enable it.

AnonTheMouse

Jul 29, 2019
So, everyone's argument seems to be "You can play without HQM if you want to.", and yes, I can. However, at the end of the day, that's not the issue. The issue is that HQM isn't a manual, like many mods already give you. It's quests, and quests have completion rewards. It's free stuff for doing things that you would have done anyway. This is where my concern lies. Much like mob grinders and overpowered, easily exploitable mod mechanics, I am certainly capable of just sticking my head in the sand and pretending that they aren't there, but if I am on a server, and other people are being allowed to use those things, then they're getting free stuff, and not using it myself puts me at a disadvantage. It's not even about the competitive aspect of multiplayer, either. I've seen what happens when people can achieve things too easily. They get bored. They leave. Servers become ghost towns or get reset, and players like me, who try not to take the easy way to get all the resources we could ever need are the ones who get penalized for it, because while everyone else has had their fun and decided to move on, we're still just getting set up.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
So, everyone's argument seems to be "You can play without HQM if you want to.", and yes, I can. However, at the end of the day, that's not the issue. The issue is that HQM isn't a manual, like many mods already give you. It's quests, and quests have completion rewards. It's free stuff for doing things that you would have done anyway. This is where my concern lies. Much like mob grinders and overpowered, easily exploitable mod mechanics, I am certainly capable of just sticking my head in the sand and pretending that they aren't there, but if I am on a server, and other people are being allowed to use those things, then they're getting free stuff, and not using it myself puts me at a disadvantage. It's not even about the competitive aspect of multiplayer, either. I've seen what happens when people can achieve things too easily. They get bored. They leave. Servers become ghost towns or get reset, and players like me, who try not to take the easy way to get all the resources we could ever need are the ones who get penalized for it, because while everyone else has had their fun and decided to move on, we're still just getting set up.

People will do what they wish, even if it means taking away their enjoyment of a game. That's not something that the modpack team or anyone else can, or should, fix. And I fail to see how HQM will leave you at a disadvantage in a sandbox game, where you decide what to do.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone

You have valid points. Again tho, it's not HQM's fault, it's the people that put the pack together. Think of it as a new tech that people are just getting used to using. Yes, the trend is to give you 50 barrels of gold for being able to make sticks but that's now. There's no telling what will happen in the future. Check out Crash landing sometime. Iskandar is a freaking miser. He gives out little tidbits and things you need as "pick me ups" but he's pretty much gone away from the random loot, and instead, concentrating on what "HE" feels is appropriate for you to proceed.

I'm fairly certain that when eyamaz comes out with his pack with HQM in there, there will be ALOT of 'bad' hearts, primed TNT and other goodies just waiting to be 'had' for rewards. wait, why isn't my backspace working..... I do NOT want to give him ideas..... damn you backspace. Damn you skun!

Anyways. saying "I hate HQM" when you mean "I HATE THE USE OF HQM" is, to me, a disservice to the people that make the mods. Hating a mod in general because, to you, at it's core value, sucks... well, that's an opinion and that's valid. They are good for starting flame wars and other malfeasance. It doesn't however, get the message across correctly that it's the usage of the mods not the mods themselves that are a problem and bring awareness to it and to ensure that as many people understand this concept, and you know, maybe ensure that in the future, you make some sticks and you get a reward of a single PB&J or a pile of poo, if that's your thing. As a side note, look at dungeon loot in other mods. I was playing epic craft this wknd and in two dungeons, I ended up with multiple stacks of different HO Feasts. stacks. as in, something that would take you alot of farming to accomplish. And I was only 1 day into playing. and just made my farm. HQM isn't the problem, it's the tool that people are using (badly) in some cases. (I'm looking at you jaded and your damnable forestry purple stained glass grrrrrrrrr, oh wait, and the lettuce. 50k lettuce? Seriously? Are you part bunny now?

I have to leave to change my ip address now. nice knowing u.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
When I read the first post here, I was concerned about the use of HQM in the packs, but now that everyone has explained the usage of it in packs, I have no objection to it being on there. I was scared the packs would be built around it, rather than it being built on top of the packs. I don't really like HQM that much because it doesn't seem to fit my play style, and I probably won't use it very much, but I have no objection for it being in the pack. Just think of it as one of those annoying TiCo books that was really helpful the first time, but you never use it now because you know enough about the mod.

It should be interesting to see if I enjoy using HQM quests or watching tutorial videos more to learn new mods. I do hope you don't have to do things like punch trees to unlock the quests for mod tutorials though, because I will probably neglect HQM until I want it for learning a mod, rather than use it right off the bat.

AnonTheMouse

Jul 29, 2019
People will do what they wish, even if it means taking away their enjoyment of a game. That's not something that the modpack team or anyone else can, or should, fix. And I fail to see how HQM will leave you at a disadvantage in a sandbox game, where you decide what to do.
Even though I just went out of my way to specifically explain how it disadvantages people like me? o_O

...it's the people that put the pack together...
A good point. However, this thread is by the people/person putting the pack together, isn't it? This is an official thread about the official FTB packs. So this is the right place to voice any concerns about what mods are going in and how they're being used. As to why people are specifically talking about HQM? That's probably because it's the only thing we know for certain is being included right now. It's the only thing we can discuss without a list of the other mods, and asking for that is an infraction.

Reactions: sivina

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Even though I just went out of my way to specifically explain how it disadvantages people like me? o_O

I'm fully aware, but my point still stands. There is no goal in a sandbox game except for the goals you set. HQM cannot put you at a disadvantage. People will still need to work towards endgame, with or without the quests.

I highly doubt it's going to be setup in such a way to make people fly through the tech trees. The modpack team knows what they're doing when it comes to balance; they'll find a way to make this work without issue.

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
then they're getting free stuff, and not using it myself puts me at a disadvantage.
I watched DW20/Pahimar's agrarian skies map, and I saw a lot of troll stuff they got, or the other half of the time, that got stuff that their tech level allowed them to get anyway, so I fail to see the disadvantage.

They get bored. They leave. Servers become ghost towns or get reset, and players like me, who try not to take the easy way to get all the resources we could ever need are the ones who get penalized for it, because while everyone else has had their fun and decided to move on, we're still just getting set up.
1) If people only would play for the HQM, then they would play Agrarian Skies...
2) Look for a server with serious players who like modded MC instead of some quick and dirty fun. (a time and place for everything ;) )
3) Same comment as above, they have the tech level to get the rewards anyway, probably.

And above all, wait and see. I trust the modpack creators to balance things, if needed.

BlacKHeaDSg1

Jul 29, 2019
When people say "official combined pack" they mean Monster. Monster is a "kitchen sink" pack. We are not making packs like Monster anymore. Anyone can make a "kitchen sink" pack in 1.7.10. There are already several. Some of them even have HQM. We are interested in creating gamepacks. Balanced and themed. There is one pack up there that has not been described. I suggest you wait and see what it ends up being cause its obviously not going to be just Magic or just Tech since I already described those 2 packs. So that would leave some sort of combination pack. Or something new. Anything but pure magic, pure tech or kitchen sink.

The only magic mod i want with combination of tech mods is Thaumcraft. Can i hope for that combination or not ? Because i recently noted that Monster pack is better than DW20 pack (DW20 pack do not contain Gendustry, Monster pack do). But this will be hard for me to choose proper pack for me. Well all hopes for your secret pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.