[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Justin Buiel

Jul 29, 2019
alright, ive played this about 5 or 6 times. my last attempt was the best yet, i had finally made a slab furnace and was able to get a lot of ingots smelted/quests done/water under control. and i was doing really well, i was sleeping every night and one i decided i needed to make just a ghetto hole in the wall with a slab on the top thing to get some mob drops. since i hadnt roofed off the area a POISON spider climbed in and killed me very fast. i then went to the shell and came back, got my stuff from the grave and then i died again, end of the world. i enjoy the difficulty to a certain extent, but when it gets to be a decently good world and something like that happens, i just want to never play again. you should really do a live system like agrarian skies, i really dont like the hardcore aspect, but if you have lives it can still be, you lost your last life, world over. i get the shell thing is basically like that, but without an easy way to make power, you are basically screwed with 2 lives and not 1 which really isnt much different because then you have to get your stuff and die getting it. i really would enjoy this if you could play longer than an hour without restarting every time you die basically. i really would enjoy venturing out to find the data tablet and the village where you need to get the clay. but i cant get past like 5 days in this.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
alright, ive played this about 5 or 6 times. my last attempt was the best yet, i had finally made a slab furnace and was able to get a lot of ingots smelted/quests done/water under control. and i was doing really well, i was sleeping every night and one i decided i needed to make just a ghetto hole in the wall with a slab on the top thing to get some mob drops. since i hadnt roofed off the area a POISON spider climbed in and killed me very fast. i then went to the shell and came back, got my stuff from the grave and then i died again, end of the world. i enjoy the difficulty to a certain extent, but when it gets to be a decently good world and something like that happens, i just want to never play again. you should really do a live system like agrarian skies, i really dont like the hardcore aspect, but if you have lives it can still be, you lost your last life, world over. i get the shell thing is basically like that, but without an easy way to make power, you are basically screwed with 2 lives and not 1 which really isnt much different because then you have to get your stuff and die getting it. i really would enjoy this if you could play longer than an hour without restarting every time you die basically. i really would enjoy venturing out to find the data tablet and the village where you need to get the clay. but i cant get past like 5 days in this.
Regarding easy power, checkout the survivalist generator...... an extremely easy way to get a trickle charge.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
so yeah, crash landing whooo! NO OT here. *sound of derailed train cueing in*

So, last night I started a new game, spoke to Zallori about how he was getting them to happen. I tried everything including using some spawn eggs to fill my trenches with enough zombies to make ash scream. I had 300+ entities, more than would normally spawn crowding a 1 wide trench outside my ground level and below area. walked all over the damn place trying to entice them. called them names, made fun of their heritage, nothing.

I had clipping issues but no incursions. I played some more today, started over again, making my area a bit bigger. tried the same thing normally. got about 40 or so days in while I whittled away NOT enjoying this mode of playing CL.

to try to reproduce this whole thing, I moved away from ship day 1, setup base in a 18x18 area and fought off way too many spiders to mention. That open area thing just was so different than hiding in the ship, deal with spiders in AM and collect drops. I was fighting way too many tough spiders, a flying spider came by for a visit and a ghost spider scared the living hell out of me by phasing through (doesn't count) the wall and attacking me straight on. I am completely not in my comfort zone :( I ended up getting some slabs on top, ran into the issue where you can't grow trees indoors (I had torches but saplings would uproot as soon as there was no sky view overhead). Had to make small 1 block holes above trees to grow them and I had large spiders (not little ones) somehow invade into my area where It shouldn't be possible, both last night and today.

But, still nothing. Did same thing, blocked off trench this time to one corner of base and put 400 entities down, skels and zombies this time (in creative) then went back on other side of wall and went survival and walked around. Made it constant midnight, didn't matter. Reset time and daylight just killed a bunch, explosions, the whole thing, but nobody came to visit. I really don't know how this happens since I can't force it to happen. I had more entities there than should be possible naturally. I don't know what to say to the people having this issue. Use a different deodorant or something? Eu de Flesh Eating Bacteria might not be your smell.... :)

I wanted to persue this and just create my base this way, but I am not you hard core ppl. I like pushing these damn mobs back and keeping them out of my periphery. I know, that sorta makes having them useless except for in early game, but yeah, it's a game mechanic and a solid one. I think the only thing I can think of is that if you have incursions, you have a very tiny window of where your base is versus where the mobs are spawning, and you like it that way and not going to change? Well, the incursions are a DLC you didn't have to pay for.

Can't think of anything else. I'm going back to my great wall of china play style. Next step is to take revenge on all those damn spiders by making spider hole traps that they can get into but can't get out of and let them starve to death. nahh, I'm not into revenge..... (from 9:05am till 9:10am every day, but the rest of the day, yeah, I totally am).

Justin Buiel

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding easy power, checkout the survivalist generator...... an extremely easy way to get a trickle charge.
if i could get any cobble stone that might be an option but that thing takes like 12 cobble alone and i can never get more than 1 stone per like 5 dust if im lucky.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
keep in mind that those generators create a ludicrous amount of heat in an insanely large radius, so you pretty much are required to also craft up some leadstone energy conduits and pipe the energy in from far away. thankfully, the pipes are super cheap, so that's not too big of a problem.

semi-related: iskandar should find a way to modify the heat mechanic so that you can 'block off' the heat radius with walls, water, and other such designs. i've gotten to the point where i'm mining up the floor in half of my base, replacing it with water blocks, because the amount of heat everything generates is just beyond surviving any other way.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Yup. survivalist generator. And, even tho it's not the same since the early versions were handicapped in some way or another, I have died dozens and dozens of times and had to start over. It IS part of this pack, like it or not. You need to concentrate on 1) your failures/past lives, what did you do wrong, 2) food and water both, not one over the other, 3) safety and confinement of threat, and 4) resources. And you have to do all of those all the time, especially for the first in game week or more. The beginning is critical and getting your perfect game requires some solid attention to what's going on.

A suggestion. Play one game cheaty. I did. NEI some things to keep you safe while you learn a good strategy for building up things, make some setups to build out barrels for wood, etc.. see what resources you'll need to make those things. Figure out your next strategy for a non cheaty session. Rinse repeat. Get stuck? Save game, make new world, create test world go in creative, work out a plan. go back in to your normal play and implement it. Without knowing how to do what you want to do, you are flying blind and getting frustrated. Even the playing field with information you gather for yourself. It lasts longer in your head than reading topics or watching vids (tho that helps alot too).

Once you have your food and water solved after a couple days playing in game, you can relax a tiny bit and start progressing forward.

Expect to die and restart alot. Otherwise, you're playing the wrong pack. This is not some pack I'd play with my nephew who thinks it's funny to plant landmines around his house, then forgets and walks into one... I call him darwin and he doesn't get the joke.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
keep in mind that those generators create a ludicrous amount of heat in an insanely large radius, so you pretty much are required to also craft up some leadstone energy conduits and pipe the energy in from far away. thankfully, the pipes are super cheap, so that's not too big of a problem.

semi-related: iskandar should find a way to modify the heat mechanic so that you can 'block off' the heat radius with walls, water, and other such designs. i've gotten to the point where i'm mining up the floor in half of my base, replacing it with water blocks, because the amount of heat everything generates is just beyond surviving any other way.
or, you put it outside, charge the battery and manually move the battery back next to your sync chamber when you need it. That's what I do.

On another note, something must be wrong with my setup since I NEVER have an issue of overheating in the ship, even when I do plant the gen right next to my sync chamber. I'm not standing near it all the time, and my furnace is on that side of the room too, my sieve and crafting tables, opposite side of room as well. maybe the radius isn't as bad as you might think. It's hard to tell. Key is to not let that camel pack run dry.

Zallori

Jul 29, 2019
so yeah, crash landing whooo! NO OT here. *sound of derailed train cueing in*

So, last night I started a new game, spoke to Zallori about how he was getting them to happen. I tried everything including using some spawn eggs to fill my trenches with enough zombies to make ash scream. I had 300+ entities, more than would normally spawn crowding a 1 wide trench outside my ground level and below area. walked all over the damn place trying to entice them. called them names, made fun of their heritage, nothing.

I had clipping issues but no incursions. I played some more today, started over again, making my area a bit bigger. tried the same thing normally. got about 40 or so days in while I whittled away NOT enjoying this mode of playing CL.

to try to reproduce this whole thing, I moved away from ship day 1, setup base in a 18x18 area and fought off way too many spiders to mention. That open area thing just was so different than hiding in the ship, deal with spiders in AM and collect drops. I was fighting way too many tough spiders, a flying spider came by for a visit and a ghost spider scared the living hell out of me by phasing through (doesn't count) the wall and attacking me straight on. I am completely not in my comfort zone :( I ended up getting some slabs on top, ran into the issue where you can't grow trees indoors (I had torches but saplings would uproot as soon as there was no sky view overhead). Had to make small 1 block holes above trees to grow them and I had large spiders (not little ones) somehow invade into my area where It shouldn't be possible, both last night and today.

But, still nothing. Did same thing, blocked off trench this time to one corner of base and put 400 entities down, skels and zombies this time (in creative) then went back on other side of wall and went survival and walked around. Made it constant midnight, didn't matter. Reset time and daylight just killed a bunch, explosions, the whole thing, but nobody came to visit. I really don't know how this happens since I can't force it to happen. I had more entities there than should be possible naturally. I don't know what to say to the people having this issue. Use a different deodorant or something? Eu de Flesh Eating Bacteria might not be your smell.... :)

I wanted to persue this and just create my base this way, but I am not you hard core ppl. I like pushing these damn mobs back and keeping them out of my periphery. I know, that sorta makes having them useless except for in early game, but yeah, it's a game mechanic and a solid one. I think the only thing I can think of is that if you have incursions, you have a very tiny window of where your base is versus where the mobs are spawning, and you like it that way and not going to change? Well, the incursions are a DLC you didn't have to pay for.

Can't think of anything else. I'm going back to my great wall of china play style. Next step is to take revenge on all those damn spiders by making spider hole traps that they can get into but can't get out of and let them starve to death. nahh, I'm not into revenge..... (from 9:05am till 9:10am every day, but the rest of the day, yeah, I totally am).

Thank you for trying! I have made my walls 2 thick and since then have only seen 1 mob make it in (from logging out/in quite a few times) and he was at half a heart :p. And wow that seems like spiders hate you! I have the creepers/skellies on me :p. Normally I fight 1-3 spiders N1, then rush spider proofing D2...also concerning the trees I use a hollowed out stone block above mine (take 3 whole cobblestone! 2 for saw 1 for the block itself) and the tree will grow (just really slowly since the ceiling's too low). Glad you got to try a different playstyle at least :p. Thanks again!

If others have this problem, uhh yea. Build 2 thick walls and just deal with the occasional one xD.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
if you work fast and sieve dust all night then you should have a cobble gen by day 3 or 4
like 3 stacks approx of dust gets you the # of cobble you need to make it. Sometimes 4. I work towards that activator as quick as possible since that frees up your hands to do other things while it sits there sifting all the dust you feed it. To get that, you just have to get that one quest where you need to make the bone crook and stone hammer, bone dagger parts, and wood armor. boom, instant helper. even if you don't have anything to pick up the drops, it doesn't matter.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
NEI some things
just wanted to point out that that doesn't actually work. NEI is locked to recipe mode, even if you use it's options menu to turn it to cheat mode. the vanilla /give command still works though, although i couldn't tell you how much control it allows over what you spawn (i've only ever used it to undo bug-related losses, such as clay bucket deleting pyrothium(sp?)).

if you work fast and sieve dust all night then you should have a cobble gen by day 3 or 4
alternatively, you could just do the trick that gets you a cobble generator within 2 minutes of spawning, and thus full sustainability by nightfall on day three.

or, you put it outside, charge the battery and manually move the battery back next to your sync chamber when you need it. That's what I do.
which would work, if a person plays on easy mode. for those of us who play on hardcore, we don't really have many options.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
alternatively, you could just do the trick that gets you a cobble generator within 2 minutes of spawning, and thus full sustainability by nightfall on day three.

IMHO this is a bit to cheaty for me considering how easy it is to get a leget cobble gen set up

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Thank you for trying! I have made my walls 2 thick and since then have only seen 1 mob make it in (from logging out/in quite a few times) and he was at half a heart :p. And wow that seems like spiders hate you! I have the creepers/skellies on me :p. Normally I fight 1-3 spiders N1, then rush spider proofing D2...also concerning the trees I use a hollowed out stone block above mine (take 3 whole cobblestone! 2 for saw 1 for the block itself) and the tree will grow (just really slowly since the ceiling's too low). Glad you got to try a different playstyle at least :p. Thanks again!

If others have this problem, uhh yea. Build 2 thick walls and just deal with the occasional one xD.
That whole thing threw my game so off that I couldn't accomplish jack. I never got glass (which I think will also work) and I ran out of food and realized I couldn't test and play at same time so I nei'd things in and concentrated just on setting up testing and just couldn't replicate it.

As a side note, in 111, with special mobs and ZA enabled, I had a mob drop trap setup for early/mid game and I had made some drawbridges that had spikes (name?) in them that I could pull in/out. mobs would fall and die or die by spikes. Other side, had drawbridges with planks and then they'd land on planks with 1 health or more and I could run around killing them. I'd sometimes forget about swapping one for the other drawbridge extension and would come back and in that 2x2 area, there would be 20-50 or more mobs stuck in there all clamoring for my death. I'd see skels clipping out of area looking at me, but not once did I have one actually clip or take a shot or anything. not once. That's the closest I have ever come to the situation you're describing.

btw, don't get me started on creepers. My pic uploading abilities seem to be thwarted, but when I had initial setup, the creepers never despawned and they just kept on growing and growing till I'd go to this one corner and they all moved over there telling me to jump in. like 50 or more. so much nope.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO this is a bit to cheaty for me considering how easy it is to get a leget cobble gen set up
it just skips the step of standing around holding M2 on the sieve for [RNG-allotted number] nights. plus, you are sacrificing your pyrotheum for it. this makes the subsequent crucible-based automation of lava production much slower (at least until you go grab new pyrotheum from the city ruins).

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
just wanted to point out that that doesn't actually work. NEI is locked to recipe mode, even if you use it's options menu to turn it to cheat mode. the vanilla /give command still works though, although i couldn't tell you how much control it allows over what you spawn (i've only ever used it to undo bug-related losses, such as clay bucket deleting pyrothium(sp?)).
which would work, if a person plays on easy mode. for those of us who play on hardcore, we don't really have many options.

IIRC, nei can be toggled into cheat mode but you have to change world options first, if that isn't the case, it's a simple config file to change that behaviour too.

we're ALL playing hardcore unless you're talking about someone changing lockdown. You mean hard mode in quest? You can make a sync/battery and it's still applicable. Any options outside of whatever is set forth by Quest book/Iskandar, well, you're responsible for anything after that. I just don't understand what you're referring to since you get a crescent hammer at start. You can make a battery and sync if you chose hard mode in quest. Otherwise, yeah. what I said still stands.

JoonaB

Jul 29, 2019
This feels like it's a silly question I could answer myself if my search fu was better but alas, I'm still a grasshopper.

Okay, how are you able to find how many days you've lasted in CL? Do you smack down a block every few days and keep count that way, or is there something I'm not seeing in the F3 overlay?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I thought DW20's setup was pretty good actually. It didn't take them more than 2 or 3 days of playing to get that up and running, or was it more? Working around that pyro just scares the bejeezus out of me. I strolled over there after like 4 perfect days and had iron bucket and was going to pick it up and fire started right in front of me, moved back but before I did, boom, me on fire, running for the water. died of heatstroke, sync wasn't charged yet since I had just died and I was like "Ok, while I wait for the sync to charge, I'm going to do something truly stupid". Yeah, it happens. I am one that tends to keep the pyro for using it under crucible and quick way to make stone via the cobble I stick it around turns into stone. I'm lazy tho. and really, not as good as alot of you guys playing. I guess all I can say is I've died alot. that should be my sig. I die better than any of you so there *falls off cliff*[DOUBLEPOST=1409704529][/DOUBLEPOST]
This feels like it's a silly question I could answer myself if my search fu was better but alas, I'm still a grasshopper.

Okay, how are you able to find how many days you've lasted in CL? Do you smack down a block every few days and keep count that way, or is there something I'm not seeing in the F3 overlay?
search for ingameinfoxl (look for game info probably). add the mod and the config @Marsupilami posted. it's really really handy out of box. tells you time, your camel pack, how many days in, etc...

Reactions: LostBMe

savageistheman

Jul 29, 2019

I use ingameinfo mod by bspkrs. It works well enough.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, nei can be toggled into cheat mode but you have to change world options first, if that isn't the case, it's a simple config file to change that behaviour too.
changing world options would require an external editor, so honestly not even worth the effort. if it's a config change, i'm unaware of what it would be (although i would be interested in knowing).

we're ALL playing hardcore unless you're talking about someone changing lockdown. You mean hard mode in quest? You can make a sync/battery and it's still applicable.
yes, i'm talking about the quest hard mode, which is the 'correct' way to play any hardcore map. you can't make a sync or battery until long after you've thoroughly explored the city ruins, which makes it irrelevant because you've already suffered the effects of the generator's ludicrous heat production.

seriously, why is it just as, if not worse than, the blazing pyrotheum? it makes no sense from a thematic or balance standpoint.

i use the good and reliable pen and paper, but i'm also old. there's probably a config thing you can do for that, like how funshineX had that info ticker in the old playthrough.

speaking of that info ticker, anyone have the code and instructions on how to install that? i've grown weary of having to hit E every minute to check my camel pack's status.

JoonaB

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Doom and Savage, I'll be sure to check that out. Since I'm pretty far along this attempt I think I'll save it until the next play-through (grumble...ender creeper popin' up behind me while I'm crafting...)