[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
how is that silly? that's just staying true to vanilla, and enhancing it with the upgrade system of tinker's.
This isn't vanilla though, with iguana tweaks, you're not suppose to be able to make wooden weapons or stone weapons, so being able to make stone knives is silly. You can craft vanilla tools/weapons, but they only have 1 durability to make you want to use tinkers tools/weapons instead. You can make stone blades, but you can't actually craft a stone sword in a tinkers tool station. I'm sure I'm ninja'd by the time I finish typing this.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've always seen that as a mid way between that and the tool station vs crafting station. Early on, CL allowed you to make pan out of wood and the text wasn't changed much, he just changed the text from wood to bone, but it was funnier. You can make a pan out of wood, don't ask how that works.....
Well in reality I bet many of us have cooked food directly on wood...... I'd be surprised if any of us have cooked on bone. I'd argue that a wood pan makes a fair amount of sense....... though wooden cookware is definitely not appropriate for "frying".

Edit: fixed a brain fart

Last edited:

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
If you get enough luck, you get the fortune enchantment. It takes ~40 lapis without IT, if memory serves, although I may be wrong. Haste is pretty good... I mean, mining faster is nice, esp. early game.
we're talking about IT levelup additions, dunno what the exact value it put on the weapon as it isn't something i care about in a weapon anyways. damage, fire, knockback... that's all a weapon needs for me to be happy. as for haste, i have nothing but time on my hands so the speed isn't relevant. in fact, when it stacks two haste buffs on a single tool, it actually renders the tool almost useless due to the complete lack of block multi-break protection.

on a previous playthrough, i had two haste levelups on my bone spade, making its speed 12 (after i used the workaround to fix the bug with IT where the upgrades don't apply properly)... which makes every click cause the breaking of at least two or three blocks. ended up just tossing it in my lava pit and making a new one.

This isn't vanilla though, with iguana tweaks, you're not suppose to be able to make wooden weapons or stone weapons, so being able to make stone knives is silly. You can craft vanilla tools/weapons, but they only have 1 durability to make you want to use tinkers tools/weapons instead. You can make stone blades, but you can't actually craft a stone sword in a tinkers tool station. I'm sure I'm ninja'd by the time I finish typing this.
yea you've been ninja'd, and the confusion in the discussion was fix'd. i misinterpreted the tooltips etc.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
as far as stone goes, the only thing that matters is what the final part has in description text, which essentially says can only be used for making casts. Thus, yes, the usable material will be stone... to make a cast. confusing, but yeah, I think same way in agskies.

Only thing I hate about tweaks is leveling up your nice weapon and then getting the fire aspect on it, making it useless against endermen since they teleport out thereafter. silky cloth I think removes all enhancements, so yeah. it's a mixed bag full of RNG razor blades.
I think if you got a choice there would need to be a nerf on the total number of upgrade modifiers you can get for "free". I for one find that the ticon weapons get far to powerful, far to easily. It takes minimal grinding to get yourself a rather powerful weapon.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I'm aware. You can however make it so certain tools can be made out of stone if you don't use the config option and do it manually. Was just wondering for myself and didn't want to test it in game.

Yeah last I saw it was in the IT configs and he hadn't finished it yet.
Just tested and you can make the parts but putting them in the station/forge doesn't give a tool.[DOUBLEPOST=1409692312][/DOUBLEPOST]
oh right, that's a thing.
Luck switching depending on the weapon/tool you use it on. for the most part tool give fortune from adding lapis and weapon get looting from adding lapis.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Genny is becoming almost unbearable to watch... ._.
I want to fully agree with you, I do, but yeah, it's like we're watching an infant go through the early stages of development.... Potty training is next episode.

He has still not made tinkers. He's concentrating on water in lieu of food. He's recording, thus probably has volume turned down so his situational awareness is shoddy. I think he'll die soon. But, to be honest, if these guys are all jumping in w/o looking at forums, alot of what they are all having issues with are mostly CL specific changes, tho avoidance of tinkers right from beginning for axe, etc... not looking at durability before wasting resources.

It's a natural progression of this pack. Dying IS a part of this pack as much as water is. I wouldn't say full ret. I'd say he's off his meds.[DOUBLEPOST=1409692839][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well in reality I bet many of us have cooked food directly on wood...... I'd be surprised if any of us have cooked on bone. I'd argue that a wood pan makes a fair amount of sense....... though wooden cookware is definitely not appropriate for "frying".

Edit: fixed a brain fart
ummmm I haven't. I would think the wood would, you know. burn? :} I've used sticks in a fire but they are covered by the food you're cooking, thus not entirely covered in that hot thing known as fire. Yes, probably a way to burn the wood and treat it so it doesn't catch fire or some cool thing that you do. I just don't think the normal person would think something flammable is good to cook with. I guess common sense. but yeah, anything's possible.

on that note, slime. you can make a slime pan, right? that would be awesome for pancakes, they flip themselves, but would you really want to eat off of that? :}

next up. Frying pan made out of zombie flesh, for when you want Huevos Rancheros, extra bloody.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
I think if you got a choice there would need to be a nerf on the total number of upgrade modifiers you can get for "free". I for one find that the ticon weapons get far to powerful, far to easily. It takes minimal grinding to get yourself a rather powerful weapon.
i would welcome those nerfs if it meant i could customize my tools entirely to my personal liking as opposed to having to level several different tools and praying to RNGesus for good stat rolls.

there's a mod that did this for enchanting, that i think would be a good place to take inspiration from. basically, the mod made it so you could choose which enchantments, and which level of said enchantments, you wanted on your tool. you could choose from every enchantment available for the given tool, whether it be vanilla or mod enchants. as you added more unique enchantments, and as you raised the levels on them, the experience level cost would increase dynamically. theoretically, it would be possible to make a tool that had every possible enchantment at max level (default config allows up to level 10), although good luck actually grinding that many experience levels.

Reactions: cannajan

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
ummmm I haven't. I would think the wood would, you know. burn? :} I've used sticks in a fire but they are covered by the food you're cooking, thus not entirely covered in that hot thing known as fire. Yes, probably a way to burn the wood and treat it so it doesn't catch fire or some cool thing that you do. I just don't think the normal person would think something flammable is good to cook with. I guess common sense. but yeah, anything's possible.

on that note, slime. you can make a slime pan, right? that would be awesome for pancakes, they flip themselves, but would you really want to eat off of that? :}

next up. Frying pan made out of zombie flesh, for when you want Huevos Rancheros, extra bloody.
It's fairly common to cook fish on cedar planks..... the trick to prevent burning is to soak the wood first. Outside of kebabs the root of the word barbecue is from a Caribbean cooking method that developed LONG before the introduction of metal grates. In short the food is cooked on a grid of pre-soaked green sticks.

Many groups have also made soups by heating rocks and dropping them into a wide variety of containers, wood and leather being among them.

That said these cooking methods are a long way from a frying pan...... but do we really need a separate item for every cooking method?

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Caribbean cooking method ... pre-soaked green sticks
once when i went on a trip to the caribbean with my father, we visited an establishment that BBQ'd like that. it was actually really good too, something about it just made the flavor pop in all the right ways.

sidenote: unless i'm missing something, those 'green sticks' are called bamboo, and are actually a type of grass.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
i would welcome those nerfs if it meant i could customize my tools entirely to my personal liking as opposed to having to level several different tools and praying to RNGesus for good stat rolls.

there's a mod that did this for enchanting, that i think would be a good place to take inspiration from. basically, the mod made it so you could choose which enchantments, and which level of said enchantments, you wanted on your tool. you could choose from every enchantment available for the given tool, whether it be vanilla or mod enchants. as you added more unique enchantments, and as you raised the levels on them, the experience level cost would increase dynamically. theoretically, it would be possible to make a tool that had every possible enchantment at max level (default config allows up to level 10), although good luck actually grinding that many experience levels.
that's the way (sorta) vanilla tico works tho. That's why tweaks was made, to allow some randomness to it. So, I guess I'm complaining cause I slept with RNG's wife and he always has a hate on for me.

but yeah, I can live with just about any other combination of misfortune as RNG, except the fire aspect on sword. Especially if it's the last one. that's usually when it's a middle finger from RNG right in my face.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
that's the way (sorta) vanilla tico works tho. That's why tweaks was made, to allow some randomness to it. So, I guess I'm complaining cause I slept with RNG's wife and he always has a hate on for me.
vanilla tinker's makes you spend asinine quantities of resources on those upgrades though. plus i just like the thematic design of 'hit zeds with this sword, you get better with it' that IT provides. hence, i'd really like to see the tool leveling system move away from RNG and more into a controlled design... even if that means nerfs to maintain balance.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
It's fairly common to cook fish on cedar planks..... the trick to prevent burning is to soak the wood first. Outside of kebabs the root of the word barbecue is from a Caribbean cooking method that developed LONG before the introduction of metal grates. In short the food is cooked on a grid of pre-soaked green sticks.

Many groups have also made soups by heating rocks and dropping them into a wide variety of containers, wood and leather being among them.

That said these cooking methods are a long way from a frying pan...... but do we really need a separate item for every cooking method?
I'm quoting you, so don't cinch the big boy pants, but you're right. You are a fountain of pretty useless knowledge :} hehe JK.

yeah, I know anything's possible, especially when you're talking about beginings of things. Early cavemen probably held food over fire and accepted burning of hands as a toughening aspect of the ordeal... The problem is you're too educated. You have to pretend you're a kid, growing up in the current american school curriculum where before youtube, nothing existed that was worth mentioning.

Anyways, I learned something today and if I get stranded on a island with a beach ball as my only friend, I know the beach ball will run away first chance he gets, so he dies, tonight while he sleeps, that backstabber.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019

Well, they do have paper hot pots in Japan. Put the stew in the paper pot, put it over a burning fire and cook. Somehow it seems to work too so maybe a wooden fry pan would do just as well.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
sidenote: unless i'm missing something, those 'green sticks' are called bamboo, and are actually a type of grass.

Yes, bamboo is a grass, though there are a wide variety of "woody" materials that will function well...... FYI bamboo, at least as we know it is not native to the Caribbean It was introduced along with so many things by the Spaniards.

Reactions: Hexerin

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Off topic: Hard to believe minecraft 1.8 is out now. I haven't even tried 1.7 yet lol.

Back on topic: Building a 7x17x7 big turbine is such a pain. I need to loot 5+ cities to get what I need to make it.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, bamboo is a grass, though there are a wide variety of "woody" materials that will function well...... FYI bamboo, at least as we know it is not native to the Caribbean It was introduced along with so many things by the Spaniards.
you learn something new every day, thanks for that.

Off topic: Hard to believe minecraft 1.8 is out now. I haven't even tried 1.7 yet lol.
hopefully the major mods hurry up and update, 1.7 has so many improvements that are desperately needed, and from what i'm hearing, 1.8 has massive performance optimizations pretty much across the board. still, minecraft just isn't the same without EE, and since pahimar is basically out of commission due to personal life, EE3 probably won't see the light of day for a very long time.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
vanilla tinker's makes you spend asinine quantities of resources on those upgrades though. plus i just like the thematic design of 'hit zeds with this sword, you get better with it' that IT provides. hence, i'd really like to see the tool leveling system move away from RNG and more into a controlled design... even if that means nerfs to maintain balance.
Some standalone games have hit upon a sweet spot in that design tho i can't for the life of me think of a good example. torchlight was similar to tico, and that's what I'm trying to make an example of something else. I can see it in the vaccuous region of my brain like a dial that you can choose a path, and then once that path is started, you can only take things from that path, etc... nope. hollow sound, but yeah, that's ideal. again, would need a gui or a tool station modification to do this. Or turn the experience on a tool to infuse something that you can use and configure to make the enchantments.

PODonnell's right tho. I had a dagger (lost due to vampire zombie pigmen) that was fully leveled up and I can one hit most mobs and throw one-hit most mobs. I loved that little dagger, but then made a frying pan, fully leveled up, ended up getting knockback (more) on it and I would chuck mobs into the skun, if not orbit, on a regular basis. but, the brutes or tough spiders, etc... would be alot more difficult to kill, but still doable.

Ok, partially agree since I think you had to go through alot to get to that point but once you get a mob drop or trap setup and poking at their feet with no worry about creepers blowing everything apart, yeah, you can level them up with no risk to yourself. Since there's no way to differentiate between those two actions, you get what we have.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone

Back on topic: Building a 7x17x7 big turbine is such a pain. I need to loot 5+ cities to get what I need to make it.
Seriously? jeez, 1.7.10 just came out what, like a month ago, little longer? All the 1.7 packs have been completely unplayable because of worldgen and I don't have a fully sucky pc, just 4-5 years old. I haven't tried the fastcraft mod yet tho that's up to 1.8 (cooincidental version numbers I'm sure) which is supposed to be pretty stable (get it here, I've heard it fixes alot of those issues: ).

Vanilla MC (1.7.x) seemed to run fine, it was after mods were added that I really noticed issues. Especially with ANYTHING worldgen-ish, like botania, pneumaticraft, etc... those two would ruin it for me completely.

Hexerin

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously? jeez, 1.7.10 just came out what, like a month ago, little longer?
1.8 has been in development for almost a full year, enough time for ten 1.7 secondary releases. i hardly call that a short time. it also goes to show how slowly mod devs are working on their mods nowadays.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Funny most people don't know you can make a full sword netherrack. just FYI