Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So, one could bypass this "feature" by manually requesting all the first-step items, then the second-step, then the third and fourth etc.?
You could... but, in most cases, I doubt that hunting down the lower-level ingredients would be any faster than letting AE find them itself. Unless you're making octuple compressed cobblestone or something... which requires testing.
More questions!
Does the "frost" component from AM2 (1.1.2b) actually do anything other than apparently slow the target down?
I don't know, but I doubt it. It might slow them down more if you use a higher casting mode, though.
How can you stack the AoE component, as I've seen others do? (E.g. "dig, aoe, aoe" for a 5x5 hole; at least, that's what I saw once...)
I don't think you can... at least, not how you're thinking.
If you use a higher casting mode, you'll get a larger area. Crescent-moon mode gives a 3x3 area, half-moon mode gives 5x5, full-moon mode gives 7x7, if I remember correctly.

The inscription table won't actually let you create a spell that starts with "Dig"- you have to start it with "AOE" or "Projectile" or "Touch" or whatever. If you do "AOE | AOE | Dig", the spell should (if I understand AM2 spell grammar correctly) create an AOE action that does nothing save create another AOE action that destroys nearby blocks. I don't think that the first AOE action will create multiple copies of the second centered on different blocks, but it might. Also requires testing.

If you do "AOE | Projectile | AOE | Dig", you should get a spell that makes all players (or mobs?) near you involuntarily shoot a projectile that digs out an area around whatever it hits. This could be considered "stacking" AOEs, but it's not quite what you were thinking.

A couple of other simple questions, I hope. Is there anything I need to be aware of as a server admin when upgrading from Monster 1.1.1 to Monster 1.1.2?
Probably not, but you should back up your world, just in case.
I've read that for x.y.z to x.y.z+1 version changes that the world saves should be compatible - this is true, right?
Usually.
Will complex machine setups break? I've got a couple people with AE and BuildCraft pipe networks.
Probably not. They usually announce if the next update is likely to break things- but, like I said, make backups, just in case.
The upgrade process itself: I overwrite the server jar file with the new version and copy updated mods into the mod folder. Do I also need to erase and regenerate the mod config files?
I doubt you'll need to regenerate config files- the mods will regenerate individual lines that they find missing. However, if a mod added a new block since the previous update, the default ID might already have been given to another mod, which will create a conflict and crash your server. Should this happen, you'll want to replace your config files with those provided by FTB (or fix the conflicts yourself, if you'd rather), not have the mods regenerate them and create even more conflicts.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt you'll need to regenerate config files- the mods will regenerate individual lines that they find missing.

That's only true if you were using the default config in the first place. For an FTB pack, most configs are tweaked from the defaults, and may be re-tweaked between versions.

If you're playing in SP, that may not be a huge problem, you just wouldn't get some of the intended changes. For MP though, it can be a huge deal because clients using the launcher will be out of sync with the server. For many things this won't matter because they're handled completely servers side (world gen, mob spawning), but things like changed recipes, what the client sees in NEI won't match what the server actually thinks they can craft with that pattern.

TL;DR when you update a modpack on the server, you need to replace everything except the world folder just to be safe.

Reactions: Wagon153

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
So, one could bypass this "feature" by manually requesting all the first-step items, then the second-step, then the third and fourth etc.?

Yes, if you have the patience to do so it will significantly increase the speed of the whole process.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you can... at least, not how you're thinking.
If you use a higher casting mode, you'll get a larger area. Crescent-moon mode gives a 3x3 area, half-moon mode gives 5x5, full-moon mode gives 7x7, if I remember correctly.

The inscription table won't actually let you create a spell that starts with "Dig"- you have to start it with "AOE" or "Projectile" or "Touch" or whatever. If you do "AOE | AOE | Dig", the spell should (if I understand AM2 spell grammar correctly) create an AOE action that does nothing save create another AOE action that destroys nearby blocks. I don't think that the first AOE action will create multiple copies of the second centered on different blocks, but it might. Also requires testing.

If you do "AOE | Projectile | AOE | Dig", you should get a spell that makes all players (or mobs?) near you involuntarily shoot a projectile that digs out an area around whatever it hits. This could be considered "stacking" AOEs, but it's not quite what you were thinking.
My mistake; I found this page (http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ars-magica-2-community-spellbook.38029/) again and that helped out. Thanks, though; I found out it wouldn't stack earlier through "hands-on experience".

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
So, I've got my ME auto crafting system set up, and it's working fantastically. I recently swapped from an electric furnace to an induction furnace in my auto crafting system, and while it's importing items (ie. iron) and outputting properly (ie. refined iron) it appears to only be using the first of the two slots in the induction furnace. Any ideas on how to get it to utilize both slots?
There is no easy way of doing this. How items are put into the second slot are handled "inside" the the Induction furnace. It is possible to use Factorization routers to deposit into the specific slots(first or second slot), but the machine filter on the router dont recognise the Induction furnace so you end up with items going everywhere(like your ME interfaces etc.).
Even with just one slot it is still faster than the Electric furnace with quite a lot of overclockers. And once you start doing things in bulk it will fill up both slots.

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Why does tiled blocks turn back to dirt? (I got enough light)

tirVOQS.jpg

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No, I got one source under that glass to the right, and one under one of the untiled blocks...

Do it really have to be on the same Y level!?
Yeah on the same Y-level.
You can just place in on the same Y-level and if you are concerned about falling into it all the time, then cover it with a lilipad(of fertility if you got it and want growth boost). That or you can use Fertilized Dirt if you have it, as that doesn't require water.

Reactions: RealSketch

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah on the same Y-level.
You can just place in on the same Y-level and if you are concerned about falling into it all the time, then cover it with a lilipad(of fertility if you got it and want growth boost). That or you can use Fertilized Dirt if you have it, as that doesn't require water.
Does fertillized dirt work with all vanilla mechanic's of planting?

aka does it work with magic crops and ecetera?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Does fertillized dirt work with all vanilla mechanic's of planting?

aka does it work with magic crops and ecetera?
Dunno about magical crops, but it works with all vanilla etc. plants that require tilled soil with the added effect of boosted growth rate. It does not mimic sand for cactus or sugarcane or soul sand for netherwart however.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
No, I got one source under that glass to the right, and one under one of the untiled blocks...

Do it really have to be on the same Y level!?
Well the water can also be one level above the dirt, but that will not help you with your setup. It does help facilitate some vanilla automation though.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There is no easy way of doing this. How items are put into the second slot are handled "inside" the the Induction furnace. It is possible to use Factorization routers to deposit into the specific slots(first or second slot), but the machine filter on the router dont recognise the Induction furnace so you end up with items going everywhere(like your ME interfaces etc.).
Even with just one slot it is still faster than the Electric furnace with quite a lot of overclockers. And once you start doing things in bulk it will fill up both slots.
I wonder if the advanced regulator could be leveraged somehow to assist with this. If you were trying to process 64 iron dust, you can send it through a round-robin-type pipe so that half goes into 1 regulator, and half into another. The first would target slot1, the second would target slot2.

Not sure if that piping could be done fast enough to cope. Also it would only allow 9 recipes I believe.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Can command blocks use mod commands? For example /cofh killall

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2