Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

I_am_Jens

Jul 29, 2019
So I was playing a modpack, building a platform over the void, and accidentally fell off. Would there be any way to either teleport out of the void or make myself invincible, without actually having to enter minecraft?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
well my computer itself has 24 gigs of ram so idk where i would start to get my own server online to play with friends so if someone wants to pm me that would be amazing with more info and just the cheaper the better, i would prob split the costs withone other person for the server unless somehow i dont need to have a host.

One that I've seen mentioned a lot is Creeperhost. They seem to specialize in MC servers, judging from the name. I don't have contact info, not being interested in renting a server myself, but I'm sure a search in your favorite browser will find them.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
This is probably a dumb question, so figured I'd try it here. I've been trying to explore Applied Energistics 2 in my world and while everything generates properly, almost nothing has a crafting recipe via NEI. Even a simple Grindstone doesn't have any actual recipe that I can find. The strange thing is that if I visit the website for the mod (which shows all of the recipes) I can still follow those recipes and craft things out, as though the recipe -does- exist, it's just that NEI doesn't know what it is. This, understandably, confuses me. For reference, I am running rv0.stable build 9, the 1.7.2 most recent stable build. NEI and CodeChickenCore are both quite outdated, but every time I try to update them they break horribly and I end up just reverting back to my old ones, which were lifted straight out of Unstable. Thoughts?

Edit: Added crashlog with updated CodeChickenCore and NEI, just to see if someone can see why the blasted thing doesn't like me. I can't figure it out. /headache

Last edited:

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Any smart way to make player movement slower without going to sneak mod? Like actual walking... (needed for 3rd person recording)

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it a bad idea to allocate over 4gb's of ram? What are the upsides and downsides? I have currently allocated 8 gigs of ram to my launcher and 4 to my server. What are the downsides of going over 4gb on the client or even server?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Why is it a bad idea to allocate over 4gb's of ram? What are the upsides and downsides? I have currently allocated 8 gigs of ram to my launcher and 4 to my server. What are the downsides of going over 4gb on the client or even server?

Java garbage collection begins to lag and cause issues over 4 GB for the client. Don't know how it impacts a server.

dluxcru

Jul 29, 2019
Does Firestone Ore light random fires around you? If so, can I disable that in the configs for Railcraft? Will the processed version do that, and how do I process it? What is it good for?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I checked the config, looks like you can't. I don't remeber exactly how to process it (look in NEI), but when processed it won't light fires. You can throw it in lava to charge it up (it won't get destroyed). It can be used to fuel furnaces and everything else that uses furnace fuel, especially steam boilers. It can heat up the boiler quite fast.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Quite sure. As soon as I teleported back, I heard an explosion, and when the chunks actually were loaded around me, the altar was no more; the only remnants were a hole in the ground and FZ's diamond fragments, from my (maybe too) nearby light nexus.
To recap: I had left a spell crafting process in progress, went away from the chunks, came back and heard an explosion, and the altar was obliterated. No mobs, no events, nothing except unloading and loading of chunks.

And then later I was semi-not-quite-so-much-killed by another player, who got my morph, but I didn't exactly die because I had a Random Things' white stone which saved me but caused the other mods that had registered my death (Morph, OpenBlocks' gravestone etc.) to whack out and make things go wrong - such as inability to place/destroy blocks, use anything, move, interact... that was fun. Fixed by a world reload. o_o
That's... really weird. Sounds like you're on a server with players who like to prank you... If you're sure that none of them planted TNT (or IC2 dynamite or whatever) behind you when you teleported away, I recommend trying to reproduce the circumstances in SSP and, if it still explodes on you, filing a bug report.

Though, really, making something explode takes at least a couple lines of code, and it would be hard to write them in by mistake. I'm almost certain this is a creeper (maybe it snuck up and started to explode, but you teleported away and unloaded the chunk before it could finish) or a prank; but if it's not, it's almost certainly an undocumented feature. Anyhow, if it ever happens again in a creeper-proofed area on SSP or an empty server (make sure there's no invisible ops, either), I'd still call bug.

And the other thing... that sounds a lot like a Random Things bug. Best report that, too.

Is there a way to keeping a certain liquid the top of the smeltery automatically?
Not very well. If you pump the liquid in question out entirely (every last drop of it) and pump it back in (through a smeltery drain block or two), it will go on top of any other liquids still in the smeltery. If you're only worried about keeping a particular liquid (or a few particular liquids) off the bottom of the smeltery (particularly if there's only a few millibuckets of these liquids (ex. to melt villagers when there's no molten emerald in the smeltery)) most of the time, periodically pumping it out and back in will work fine. However, if you're interested in constantly keeping a specific liquid on the surface (for aesthetic reasons?), you'll have to make sure that the amount of any other liquid in the smeltery never drops to zero.

This is probably a dumb question, so figured I'd try it here. I've been trying to explore Applied Energistics 2 in my world and while everything generates properly, almost nothing has a crafting recipe via NEI. Even a simple Grindstone doesn't have any actual recipe that I can find. The strange thing is that if I visit the website for the mod (which shows all of the recipes) I can still follow those recipes and craft things out, as though the recipe -does- exist, it's just that NEI doesn't know what it is. This, understandably, confuses me. For reference, I am running rv0.stable build 9, the 1.7.2 most recent stable build. NEI and CodeChickenCore are both quite outdated, but every time I try to update them they break horribly and I end up just reverting back to my old ones, which were lifted straight out of Unstable. Thoughts?

Edit: Added crashlog with updated CodeChickenCore and NEI, just to see if someone can see why the blasted thing doesn't like me. I can't figure it out. /headache
Is Forge out of date? If you install the Latest (not Recommended) versions of all the mods, does it work?

Any smart way to make player movement slower without going to sneak mod? Like actual walking... (needed for 3rd person recording)
Drink some slowness potions; have whichever Geostrata amulet gives slowness (only works in the Nether) or a loaded JABBA dolly (or the chest transporter thing from whichever mod that was) in your inventory; block with a sword or draw a bow; hold a Tinkers Construct cleaver; wear a Modular Powersuit with more than 25kg of stuff in it (and no walking assist); walk on soul sand (if you put ice or Minefactory road blocks under the soul sand, you'll go even slower) or through water, lava, some other liquid, or cobwebs; slow down your recording after you've recorded it; or any or all of the above...

Does Firestone Ore light random fires around you? If so, can I disable that in the configs for Railcraft? Will the processed version do that, and how do I process it? What is it good for?
In answer to your first question, yes. Don't carry it around in a forest or wooden house- at least, not in your normal inventory. It should be safe if you put in in a bag of some sort.

Also, I've heard reports that having more of the ore in your inventory makes more fire. Probably a good idea to drink a fire resistance potion, craft the Salamander's Eye from Xeno's Reliquary, don an IC2 Hazmat Suit, or find some other form of fire protection before you go hunting for the stuff.

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Is Forge out of date? If you install the Latest (not Recommended) versions of all the mods, does it work?
Nope, Forge is up to the Latest version, little 'ole 1147. Haven't had any problems with it so far and I believe a couple other mods in my list actually require something later than the Recommended version, so I'm pretty well stuck with it either way haha. Ran the crashlog over by the folks on the MCForums official CodeChicken thread, so hopefully I hear something from there sooner or later.