What's new in modded minecraft today?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
This makes me sad since most players feel Mekanism is the proper successor to the IC2 throne.

Into exile, I must go. *Failed*, I have. [to remember that wonderful mod called Mekanism in my earlier fawning over reply!] :oops:

Thanks for the timely reminder. [Goes away to switch on his digital miner] :oops:[DOUBLEPOST=1398452682][/DOUBLEPOST]
Edit: I should add that I'm massively interested in checking out mek one day!

I have only 5 words to say to you. Even better, I'll let someone else say it for you:

Hasta la vista, baby [Hint! Hint!]

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
As for getting a message through to him, just PM him on the IC2 forums, or less reliably you can post in the Gregtech thread and he may read and reply to the post. Also, all of his manuals are available in NEI, so you can always just spawn them in or read them in a creative world.

You think, I haven't thought this one? :cool: hmmm? ;)

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
This makes me sad since a preponderance of players on these forums and other communities feel Mekanism is the proper successor to the IC2 throne.

I didn't say it was a bad mod just that most pack creators prefer TE3 and MFR over Mek. Though to be fair that could probably be changed to "most well-known pack creators" . One of the most interesting things I have found in creating packs, players don't always know what they want. They may like specific mods etc, but in the end a well made modpack is going to get played more than a thrown together one that has all the mods the players keep demanding. Mek falls in that category of its a good stand alone mod but it doesn't lend itself to the type of themed packs that are most popular right now. I can't think of any wildly popular modpacks based on Mek. Which means that for pack creators Mek is not inspiring them. *shrug*

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Also, this isn't particularly mod news, but I thought I'd let everyone know that Guswut (who vanished sometimes last year), has reappeared on the minecraft forums. Link

Just thought people who remembered his awesomeness back in the day would be interested to know that he is still living :p.
He spent a lot of time on the Terraria forums when he left this place.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't say it was a bad mod just that most pack creators prefer TE3 and MFR over Mek. Though to be fair that could probably be changed to "most well-known pack creators".
It might also have to do with consideration for server owners. Mek has bin know to be very hard on servers.

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
If nothing else, my multiblocks are awesome because of this. :D

8nmqV.png

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
This makes me sad since a preponderance of players on these forums and other communities feel Mekanism is the proper successor to the IC2 throne.

There isn't really a throne. The truth of the matter is Mekanism is jut the most IC2-like and feel more like IC3 should of been (had it been a thing).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think that 1.7 will prove itself to be a big change-up in terms of what mods get attention and what don't
I'm curious as to why you think that and what mods you think stand to benefit (yours perhaps! There has been an encouraging trend in mods which add aesthetic blocks and I just checked out Valued decor and I like the textures. Green blocks especially are in short supply in my opinion, so thanks).

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I think that 1.7 will prove itself to be a bit of a turning ground for the community is just because of how the size and timing affected people; there were many people who were chased away by it. Look at how long 1.7 vanilla has been released for. Even forge has had a recommended build out for quite some time now. The number of people who are "stuck" on 1.6.4 has somewhat taken me by surprise. Fuzzzies mod list (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470-Fuzzzie-s-1-6-4-Mod-List) still updates with as many 1.6 changes as 1.7 changes whereas I had hoped for a "drop everything and port" mentality.
Looking at something like EnderIO, CrazyPants was one of the first "big devs" to port and now he is fast on track for new and cool updates. The biggest other one that sticks out for me is the next-gen buildcraft builds; they are absolutely fantastic imho, new shiny textures, and a big push by inspired and talented coders for adding new (wanted) stuff. All this after people had basically ruled it out as being "old-hat" (myself included :(...)
There has been a lot of time for new authors to start off with 1.7 and this opens the floor for brand-new mods to walk into the picture. 1.7 forge is nice for if you are just starting off with modding (no block/item ids and the centralized gradle system all clean things up) but it has been a pain for the "veterans".
One thing that I am hoping for the future is less machine based mods (not going to jump quite on the anti-GUI train), but more along the lines of physical additions to the game. Crops is something that can be hugely expanded on. I personally did some experimenting with plants that grew in two stages: the stem and then a bulb on top of that that only needs to be harvested, they looked very cool imho and we should have more of these types of things and less direct copies of the standard 7 stage wheat shaped crops.
If anyone has checked out AE2 (wait what!? of course people have), Algo has moved along from just having screens and such to a fantastic and well rounded experience, the new world gen and the crystal seed growing mechanic are both great additions (there are a bunch of others too...).
Anyways, all this makes me want to get back into the dev environment and keep tinkering :)

Reactions: casilleroatr

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I think that 1.7 will prove itself to be a bit of a turning ground for the community is just because of how the size and timing affected people; there were many people who were chased away by it. Look at how long 1.7 vanilla has been released for. Even forge has had a recommended build out for quite some time now. The number of people who are "stuck" on 1.6.4 has somewhat taken me by surprise. Fuzzzies mod list (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470-Fuzzzie-s-1-6-4-Mod-List) still updates with as many 1.6 changes as 1.7 changes whereas I had hoped for a "drop everything and port" mentality.
Looking at something like EnderIO, CrazyPants was one of the first "big devs" to port and now he is fast on track for new and cool updates. The biggest other one that sticks out for me is the next-gen buildcraft builds; they are absolutely fantastic imho, new shiny textures, and a big push by inspired and talented coders for adding new (wanted) stuff. All this after people had basically ruled it out as being "old-hat" (myself included :(...)
There has been a lot of time for new authors to start off with 1.7 and this opens the floor for brand-new mods to walk into the picture. 1.7 forge is nice for if you are just starting off with modding (no block/item ids and the centralized gradle system all clean things up) but it has been a pain for the "veterans".
One thing that I am hoping for the future is less machine based mods (not going to jump quite on the anti-GUI train), but more along the lines of physical additions to the game. Crops is something that can be hugely expanded on. I personally did some experimenting with plants that grew in two stages: the stem and then a bulb on top of that that only needs to be harvested, they looked very cool imho and we should have more of these types of things and less direct copies of the standard 7 stage wheat shaped crops.
If anyone has checked out AE2 (wait what!? of course people have), Algo has moved along from just having screens and such to a fantastic and well rounded experience, the new world gen and the crystal seed growing mechanic are both great additions (there are a bunch of others too...).
Anyways, all this makes me want to get back into the dev environment and keep tinkering :)

I don't think its 1.7 putting devs off exactly. Since forge was released for 1.7.2 we are now up to 1.7.9 ... and no Forge for the newest MC versions.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I think that 1.7 will prove itself to be a bit of a turning ground for the community is just because of how the size and timing affected people; there were many people who were chased away by it.

The problem is 1.7 is this huge re-wight of many many things in MC. And 1.8 is looking like it's going to be the same thing. With a re-wight that pig mos mod devs have to practically re-wright there mods from scratch. And no one really wants to do that twice in a row. Mojang used to alternate easy to code for content versions and then hard to code for back end development versions. Lately they have bin going back to back major code changes with out the customary easy update in between. And mod deves are just kind of burnt out. Give them time. It might take a while. Probably not until the much talked about plugin API update but you will see most mods get updated eventually and I'll bet a bunch of the old guys will come back.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is 1.7 is this huge re-wight of many many things in MC. And 1.8 is looking like it's going to be the same thing. With a re-wight that pig mos mod devs have to practically re-wright there mods from scratch. And no one really wants to do that twice in a row. Mojang used to alternate easy to code for content versions and then hard to code for back end development versions. Lately they have bin going back to back major code changes with out the customary easy update in between. And mod deves are just kind of burnt out. Give them time. It might take a while. Probably not until the much talked about plugin API update but you will see most mods get updated eventually and I'll bet a bunch of the old guys will come back.
Not just that, but some of us players are super burnt-out by the constant version switching. Plus, right now you can run a stable modpack with 210 mods in it given enough power. Jumping from that to 1.7, which is still lacking some key mods like TE3, just isn't convincing.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Not just that, but some of us players are super burnt-out by the constant version switching. Plus, right now you can run a stable modpack with 210 mods in it given enough power. Jumping from that to 1.7, which is still lacking some key mods like TE3, just isn't convincing.
I certainly agree. I didn't get a single good world in 1.3 or 1.5. I kind of want 1.6 to count for something ;)

also no witchery

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
People, particularly devs, are seriously fed up with the version jumping and big re-writes of significant code. As soon as a dev updates to the most recent version, it's already old within the next week. Mojang is really just version hopping right now. The fact that they aren't making a modding api for a while and are instead making a plugin one doesn't make it any easier.