Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I did think about making him tell you what block you're looking at, and offer to help you find one if you're not looking at one, at which point it could be almost not completely useless!

I thought we already had a mod for that. :p

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
This is the end of modding minecraft. I forthsee maxim half year max for modding existence. All mods will belong to
MS.
- step one. licence will close modding
- step 2 - servers will become only MS only. Clients will become only clients.
- any plugin will become MS (texture, mods, whatever)

Comunity will die, game will die. Peterson got his money and dont care.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
This is the end of modding minecraft. I forthsee maxim half year max for modding existence. All mods will belong to
MS.

All speculation and fear mongering. You don't know this will happen. There is nothing (right now) indicating that.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
MS.

3567og.jpg

Reactions: pc_assassin

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Time to wear out this joke.

Yep that's 1.8. Nope I haven't actually written code to reobfuscate it into a downloadable mod yet.

I did think about making him tell you what block you're looking at, and offer to help you find one if you're not looking at one, at which point it could be almost not completely useless!

Better yet:

Scenario:

You, fighting Mob [X].
You get killed.
The new mod pops up in a flash of light and a puff of smoke. "I see you're trying to fight a Mob [X]. Would you like some help?"[DOUBLEPOST=1411050093][/DOUBLEPOST]
MS.

Who is Peterson?

Next year let's all get together and see who can say "I told you so"

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Better yet:

Scenario:

You, fighting Mob [X].
You get killed.
The new mod pops up in a flash of light and a puff of smoke. "I see you're trying to fight a Mob [X]. Would you like some help?"[DOUBLEPOST=1411050093][/DOUBLEPOST]

Who is Peterson?

Either that or we'll be gathered around a trashcan fire mumbling things like "whelp, we were wrong." "mrhrm"

Reactions: pc_assassin

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Either that or we'll be gathered around a trashcan fire mumbling things like "whelp, we were wrong." "mrhrm"

No. Once the red alarm goes off we all move to a Minecraft look alike made by the original modders who stick around. We will call it Craftmine and make it identical to what we have now, Microsoft will lose all its free advertising and community, and never make back the 2.5 bill invested. Saying that I'm assuming a company who invested 2.5 billion is dumb enough to kill half the body of the whole which is known as Minecraft.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I thought we already had a mod for that. :p

Yes but that mod actually does it properly. This one was going to be through annoying console spam, because that's how Clippy rolls.

Though that's also partially because I haven't deobfuscated all of the GUI subclasses yet (and lordy there sure are a lot of them these days).

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Saying that I'm assuming a company who invested 2.5 billion is dumb enough to kill half the body of the whole which is known as Minecraft.
Bold emphasis is mine. You vastly overrate the impact on the monetization chain hard-modded Minecraft has. As a demographic, we don't even hit the double-digit percentages of people who play Minecraft. They don't have to sell an awful lot of units -- relatively speaking -- to replace us if we all voted with our feet and left today.

This, of course, does not discount the fact that we are still a substantial enough demographic for somebody else wanting to produce another product to entice us. There are enough of us to make for a very successful product. Just not Minecraft-successful (just as smart MMO designers/marketers know they won't make something that's WoW-successful by intention, but that "settling" for less would still make them rake in millions). But that's not enough to make Microsoft not be Microsoft just for us.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how I vastly overrated anything. Even if your still playing vanilla, any server is modded. Whether your playing factions, eco, minez, hunger games, or what ever, it's all modded. It may not be Ftb, but half of MC is most definitely modded. Any server I know of that is simply vanilla MC is practally dead, give or take a few. I refuse to believe wayyyy more then half the MC community are playing single player vanilla.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how I vastly overrated anything. Even if your still playing vanilla, any server is modded. Whether your playing factions, eco, minez, hunger games, or what ever, it's all modded. It may not be Ftb, but half of MC is most definitely modded. Any server I know of that is simply vanilla MC is practally dead, give or take a few. I refuse to believe wayyyy more then half the MC community are playing single player vanilla.
Xbox, play station, and mobile comes to mind.

fowlj

Jul 29, 2019

Which to be specific represent more than half of Minecraft's audience by themselves - half of all PC players (which I consider an overestimate, though I can't be assed to check) would be well under a quarter of the total audience, at most.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Question. So are "Notch apples" now going to be "MS Apples"? (Hmm, MS and Apple in the same phrase...)

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
Better yet:

Scenario:

You, fighting Mob [X].
You get killed.

Who is Peterson?

No need for that. It is crystal clear. You know the words "there aren't any new jokes, only new stupid people".

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
yeah, but my nephew raves about him being able to use worldedit as a mod in minecraft on xbox. I still don't know what he's referring to since I didn't think you could get mods on the xbox, etc... but he knows of it and he doesn't play MC on a pc. (I have zero experience playing mc on xbox).

Is there a place that shows #'s for modded mc versus non modded, etc. ? I'm curious at all this. I can't imagine that many people playing vanilla. it boggles the mind.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Question. So are "Notch apples" now going to be "MS Apples"? (Hmm, MS and Apple in the same phrase...)
Forge Microblocks shouldn't have to change their names... :) they'll just be softer. squishier, and if you pulverize, you'll get a 90% chance of receiving mariculture bug bait.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't believe xbox, ps, and mobile make up the majority of MC players. Maybe at first, but eventually they will get tired and figure out how much more you can do on PC. As you all know this is just my opinion, and far from facts. I have no idea how many players play what, and without official statistics I will never truly know.