ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

First I have a FTB Monster server running, and recently enable Reactorcraft to play around with it. The server is running survival and that is my first question. Does Reactorcraft even work in survival mode?
Considering lots of people, myself included, are using it, yes.

Second, since we are playing survival, building Reactorcraft stuff is expensive and takes time, so we're building very small to try things out. Forget about placing 10+ reactor chambers and hundreds of steam boilers... our current setup is one chamber in the center and 4 boilers around it, all connected with steam links and a grate, that should be sending steam towards the turbine overhead. Only problem is, we seimply cannot get water into the boilers. We've tried RC pipes, pumping water in, we tried an unlimited watersource, and latest attempt is Aqueous Accumulators and liquiducts, but no matter what we do, the tank in the boilers remain empty.

Can someone please tell me, what is the certified way of setting this miniscule reactor up, on a Monster 1.1.0 server, running RC 1.6 v18.
Should you be able to get power out a setup with a single Fuel Chamber, or do you HAVE to use more chambers to start chain reactions?

Hope someone can help.
/Ronni
There is no "certified design". Reactors are dynamic and modular. Look into real fission reactor designs and you should get the general idea. Also, if you are unable to put water in the boilers, you are probably trying to do it from the top or the side, both of which are invalid.

Ronni Kristiansen

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, I've always tried pumping the water in through the bottom. Currently I'm trying with pumps and golden fluid pipes, and they fill up with water fine, and connect to the boilers, but still nothing happens and when I use the Transduser on the boilers, it says the tanks are empty.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Nope, I've always tried pumping the water in through the bottom. Currently I'm trying with pumps and golden fluid pipes, and they fill up with water fine, and connect to the boilers, but still nothing happens and when I use the Transduser on the boilers, it says the tanks are empty.
Gold pipes may not be fast enough. You need lots of water.

Chuckster

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having some extreme difficulty. The reactor setups posted here all seem to be stable in single player mode. No issues there. But when tried in survival in multiplayer, I get meltdowns.

My reactor is built in the desert. Is it possible that this is the problem? Some of the setups posted here as 'stable @ 100 degrees' actually explode in less than 5-10 seconds in my desert location - an instant meltdown. I've tested them on singleplayer and they work fine. So I'm pretty sure they are built properly. But try to build them in multiplayer in my desert location, and they always explode in short order.

Could it be that the desert heat is being multiplied somehow - rather than added - or perhaps being added repeatedly every tick?

As a side note, I'm confused as to the status shown of 'tank empty' on the boilers. I am piping water in from the bottom using Ender IO pipes, with 11 aqueous accumulators for a 16 core setup. The water output isn't really challenged by the boiler needs, so I know that's not an issue. BUT. The boilers display 'tank empty' even when the reactor is not running (and not using any water). Also, I am positive water is going into them, as when the reactor is running, I'm producing steam. And still, the boiler's show 'tank empty'. Is this just a glitch?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
My reactor is built in the desert. Is it possible that this is the problem? Some of the setups posted here as 'stable @ 100 degrees' actually explode in less than 5-10 seconds in my desert location - an instant meltdown. I've tested them on singleplayer and they work fine. So I'm pretty sure they are built properly. But try to build them in multiplayer in my desert location, and they always explode in short order.
Try in SMP in a colder biome.

As a side note, I'm confused as to the status shown of 'tank empty' on the boilers. I am piping water in from the bottom using Ender IO pipes, with 11 aqueous accumulators for a 16 core setup. The water output isn't really challenged by the boiler needs, so I know that's not an issue. BUT. The boilers display 'tank empty' even when the reactor is not running (and not using any water). Also, I am positive water is going into them, as when the reactor is running, I'm producing steam. And still, the boiler's show 'tank empty'. Is this just a glitch?
What version are you running?

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized - two of these ReactorCraft fusion reactors, if built in the real world at the full efficiency provided by ReactorCraft fusion reactors, could, by themselves, power France at peak power consumption.

You would, by contrast, need 30 to 60 ReactorCraft fusion reactors to power the U.S.

'Murica

(this is according to Wikipedia btw)

Reactions: abculatter_2

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I just realized - two of these ReactorCraft fusion reactors, if built in the real world at the full efficiency provided by ReactorCraft fusion reactors, could, by themselves, power France at peak power consumption.

You would, by contrast, need 30 to 60 ReactorCraft fusion reactors to power the U.S.

'Murica

(this is according to Wikipedia btw)
To be honest, we are not much better (per capita) due to extreme climate and the necessity of long-distance transport.

Reactions: NegaNote

BananaPirate

Jul 29, 2019
The boiler not filling bug seems to be fixed. (whichever version is in ftb monster 1.1.0 spits pages worth of nullpointers exceptions, it works fine in 1.1.1)

Xarlas

Jul 29, 2019
I dont Know if this is Intended but i dont think so:
If you Place Heat Exchanger Above Lava they get heat and that heat could be used to power a steam Boiler ....
If you sorround Boiler with Heat Exchanger with Lava under them That looks like this (here i used 6 steam Boilers and 24 Heat Exchanger):

With this setup i dont really see a need for using the Reactors as i think this power (1,8 GW) should be enough
An On top of that it seems safe (because NO Radiation) and once build it will Produce Energy for ever

IF this IS Intended I would like a Flywheel which could handle this Speed ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-04-15 14.56.24.png
    Screenshot 2014-04-15 14.56.24.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 241

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I dont Know if this is Intended but i dont think so:
If you Place Heat Exchanger Above Lava they get heat and that heat could be used to power a steam Boiler ....
If you sorround Boiler with Heat Exchanger with Lava under them That looks like this (here i used 6 steam Boilers and 24 Heat Exchanger):

With this setup i dont really see a need for using the Reactors as i think this power (1,8 GW) should be enough
An On top of that it seems safe (because NO Radiation) and once build it will Produce Energy for ever

IF this IS Intended I would like a Flywheel which could handle this Speed ;)

Neat.

I'm gonna give a bit of credit to Reika for making his blocks interact intuitively with the environment (and all the grief it can cause), notwithstanding the nerfbat coming in one way or another.

Is overheating eventually a concern Xarlas?

Xarlas

Jul 29, 2019
@Pyure I dont think so The Steam Boiler stays Betweed 95 and 105 °C and The Heat Exchanger doesnt go above 120 °C

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I will make it do so.
Ambitious. I hope you're extremely aggressive with the cool down speed; I don't know for certain but I suspect there are dirt-cheap* methods of creating lava.

If you transform lava into, say, stone, I could see someone automatically block-breaking the stone and dropping cheap lava into the area (via the spiller machine perhaps). I wouldn't want this tactic to be as net-power-efficient as fission.

Edited: *bleh, such as nether-imports.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ambitious. I hope you're extremely aggressive with the cool down speed; I don't know for certain but I suspect there are dirt-cheap* methods of creating lava.

If you transform lava into, say, stone, I could see someone automatically block-breaking the stone and dropping cheap lava into the area (via the spiller machine perhaps). I wouldn't want this tactic to be as net-power-efficient as fission.

Edited: *bleh, such as nether-imports.
Maybe an overpressure explosion is a better idea.