ReactorCraft - clever reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Rewyn

Jul 29, 2019
no reactors that can irradiate the area. The issue is more trying to build a large enough seup that i can run the HP-turbine off off a HTGR setup. What i have seen thusfar is i will need to make 4-5 PBR setups and feed 4-5 heat exchanges. each exchange can do 4-5 boilers. so provided i can keep up with the water (shouldn't be an issue) then i should be able to get it running and keep it running.

Is there on/off valves for the steam line by any chance? i would assume there is but i have not found them thus far in my searches through the book or NEI
If you apply a redstone signal to the steam grate, it stops letting out steam.

Red3055

Jul 29, 2019
Can't be done, Reactorcraft steam is flagged with the reactor type that produced it (fission, htgr, fusion etc), and the HPT is deliberately coded not to work with HTGR steam.

that.... seems odd. do you know when that was added, if it was?

also steam grate is for a normal turbine, not the HP one so not as effective.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
If you ask that to find old versions, good luck and know that no information you find will ever be of help to you.
I'd be surprised if a world could survive a year-old downgrade of your mods anyway.

Red3055

Jul 29, 2019
If you ask that to find old versions, good luck and know that no information you find will ever be of help to you.

Not a fan of repeating myself. I am limited to v9b due to using a pack that has not updated to the current version. And again, no I can't get it updated, I have tried. Tring to understand why something that should theoretically work isn't is what I am doing. And trying to see what I can do within said limitations.

Also, may as well ask, why not allow htgr to power a hp turbine, provided you can supply enough steam?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Not a fan of repeating myself. I am limited to v9b due to using a pack that has not updated to the current version. And again, no I can't get it updated, I have tried. Tring to understand why something that should theoretically work isn't is what I am doing. And trying to see what I can do within said limitations.

Also, may as well ask, why not allow htgr to power a hp turbine, provided you can supply enough steam?
Because no design is supposed to be able to produce enough steam. That mechanic is to catch the few cases I have not specifically accounted for.

LC14199

Jul 29, 2019

A high pressure turbine cannot be powered by HTGRs, ever. Period. That won't be changing. If you're playing a pack that won't update Reika's Mods, then sorry, but that's an issue you'll need to take up with the pack dev, not Reika.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A high pressure turbine cannot be powered by HTGRs, ever. Period. That won't be changing. If you're playing a pack that won't update Reika's Mods, then sorry, but that's an issue you'll need to take up with the pack dev, not Reika.
The individual asked why, your response didn't address that.

Its a fair question to ask: Reika's systems are predominantly emergent, and the hardcoded htgr steam scenario Red3055 is describing break's emergence. The probable answer is that the hardcoded bit generates a game design flow he'd prefer to see.

I'd have preferred to see it tackled from a different direction, but just about anything I can think of requires implementing laws of thermodynamics in a way that would take an awful lot more code than was likely required here.

Red3055

Jul 29, 2019

Its a fair question to ask: Reika's systems are predominantly emergent, and the hardcoded htgr steam scenario Red3055 is describing break's emergence. The probable answer is that the hardcoded bit generates a game design flow he'd prefer to see.

I'd have preferred to see it tackled from a different direction, but just about anything I can think of requires implementing laws of thermodynamics in a way that would take an awful lot more code than was likely required here.

That was my guess. I was going off of the face that a lot of this mod works off of real world physics and such and going by that, with enough "plants" a HTGR would be able to run at least a single HP turbine. Efficient? Gods no. Possible? Sure.

honestly I can't see any other way as efficient as the current coding at blocking someone from using the hp turbine with HTGR. Thoughts I did have were changing the steam consumption rated depending on source, but that seems like it would be way more of a pain than it is worth.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

The first attempt was the standard "size of the reactor influences heat generation" curve - which is still present - which means that very large HTGRs have much lower per-core heat generation than a smaller one. This was so that one could not make an absurdly large HTGR for absurd amounts of power. However, there are ways, often involving chunkloading and/or air spaces, to trick that, and so the hardcoding was implemented.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The first attempt was the standard "size of the reactor influences heat generation" curve - which is still present - which means that very large HTGRs have much lower per-core heat generation than a smaller one. This was so that one could not make an absurdly large HTGR for absurd amounts of power. However, there are ways, often involving chunkloading and/or air spaces, to trick that, and so the hardcoding was implemented.
Yep makes sense.

Realistically, what would be the downside to running absurdly large HTGRs in a real life scenario?

My "ideal" solution to the problem would probably be the answer to that question.