Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
You have forestry, and mfr that create biomass/fuel from vanilla+ natura growables. Extra utilites, forestry, te3, mfr provides engines/generatorss. I don't think any of the food harvest mods growables work though but I could be wrong.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
According to the fuel list in COFH, there are some really nice food based fuels for the compression and reactant dynamos.

####################
# compression
####################

compression {
I:bioethanol=500000
I:biofuel=500000
I:biomass=125000
I:chocolatemilk=350000
I:coal=1000000
I:fishoil=200000
I:fuel=1500000
I:honey=12000
I:juice=150000
I:meat=100000
I:milk=12000
I:mushroomsoup=500000
I:eek:il=150000
I:pinkslime=500000
I:resin=300000
I:sap=200000
I:seedoil=250000
}

####################
# reactant
####################

reactant {
I:biomass=450000
I:creosote=200000
I:fishoil=200000
I:glowstone=750000
I:mobessence=500000
I:redstone=600000
I:resin=300000
I:sap=200000
I:seedoil=250000
I:sewage=12000
I:sludge=12000
}

It looks like mushroom soup is a pretty good source for power. A couple MFR mushroom farms and some fertilizer could make quite a bit of mushroom soup. Other decent ones look like Chocolate milk and resin. Resin can be a by product of a spruce tree farm. Since resin is also needed for the woodworker, it has some nice cross-over uses that could be employed if you plan on getting into tree breeding and making your base beautiful.

Are better coolants actually useful? I know they last longer than plain old water, but do they boost energy production any? Will an aqueous accumulator produce enough water to supply a compression engine on its own, or are better coolants necessary?

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't custard a fuel jaded :p (Maybe food.fish too).

Also I think you need to change 'fishoil' to oil.fish for it to work, since that's it's fluid registration name. (God knows why i went with those stupid names...)

Last edited:

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
FYI, I'm still on 2.1.2 of magic farm, so some of those may have been changed in the latest version.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Why isn't custard a fuel jaded :p (Maybe food.fish too).

Also I think you need to change 'fishoil' to oil.fish for it to work, since that's it's fluid registration name. (God knows why i went with those stupid names...)

Is custard a fluid?

If its a food it should go in the culinary generator.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
My custard is registered as a fluid as well as being a food item, the harvestcraft one isn't.
(Mine is made from combining 2 sugar + Milk in a vat). So it needed to have a fluid form :p

So would probably suit being just a slight bit better than milk is.

Last edited:

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
So will some one add in the ultimate food item now:
custard.png

Reactions: PierceSG and joshie

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
so I can't automate the infernal furnace in MJ2. had high hopes for it. nothing is slow enough to pipe into it without it throwing in the towel. oh well, powered furnace we go!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've already swapped out TE and removed all my itemduct/power infrestructure and restored my world, but that's happened to me 3 times now, usually right as I'm getting enough items moving through the itemducts that I need to hook up a trash can to handle the excess wood I'm not turning into charcoal or storing in a JABBA barrel. I'm going to reconnect my MFR treefarms with something other than itemducts and will hopefully have better luck.

I've had similar issues with itemducts in a DW20 world so I don't think it's specific to MF2, just interactions with MFR and itemducts. My DW20 world had my first quarry going full-bore with ore processing and worked fine until I hooked up the MFR planter/harvester. My guess is once an itemduct system has multiple branches with so many destination options (barrel-network for pre-AE storage) it gets confused and then adding MFR seals the deal. I also have the itemducts hooked directly to the MFR machines using servos and whitelists instead of using a chest on the harvester like I would for AE.

Always drain your TE3 itemducts. I had the same bug in a previous 1.6.4 world and now I make sure I never try to stuff more than 1 item ID into a blocking (back pressured) TE3 pipe network.

However, TE3 handles single item types being backpressured just fine.

For complex, multi-in, multi-out systems, don't use TE3. Use AE.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Always drain your TE3 itemducts...For complex, multi-in, multi-out systems, don't use TE3. Use AE.
Make a branch line wrenched into dense mode, and put a Thaumcraft pedestal on it. This will show you the first item that got backstuffed. In my mob farm, I looped the overflow back into the initial collection chest, but now I'd probably dump it back into my AE system. I might set up a Note Block alarm to go off when there's an item in the pedestal.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Always drain your TE3 itemducts. I had the same bug in a previous 1.6.4 world and now I make sure I never try to stuff more than 1 item ID into a blocking (back pressured) TE3 pipe network.

However, TE3 handles single item types being backpressured just fine.

For complex, multi-in, multi-out systems, don't use TE3. Use AE.

I use TE quite well for complex multi-in multi out builds. THe thing to remember is everything needs a place to go . If one item in the network has nowhere to go it will back up the rest of the network as nothing can go through until that item is cleared. I keep a diamond chest at the end of my system with it wrenched to dense. Then I check it and if items show up in there I give them a barrel or if they are useless I assign them to a filter on a trash can or nullifier. I never have backstuffing even when I chunkload it on a server and walk away for 3-4 real life days. The last item after the chest in my system is an unfiltered trash can. If the chest gets too full the overflow gets voided. That way I don't backstuff a system while I am offline.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I use TE quite well for complex multi-in multi out builds. THe thing to remember is everything needs a place to go . If one item in the network has nowhere to go it will back up the rest of the network as nothing can go through until that item is cleared. I keep a diamond chest at the end of my system with it wrenched to dense. Then I check it and if items show up in there I give them a barrel or if they are useless I assign them to a filter on a trash can or nullifier. I never have backstuffing even when I chunkload it on a server and walk away for 3-4 real life days. The last item after the chest in my system is an unfiltered trash can. If the chest gets too full the overflow gets voided. That way I don't backstuff a system while I am offline.

I had all those things... chests with space, filtered and unfiltered trashcans, empty JABBA barrels... even after adding more of everything to the existing system, nothing would clear up. As long as the system was only used lightly, like output from 1-2 machines, there was no problem. Hook up something heavy-use like a harvester and your ticks are numbered. It handled a 2/3-powered quarry on my DW20 world but once I added the harvester it was all over. I'm to the point in my new MF2 world where I'm about to start automation, but it looks like the transfer pipes have been removed at some point. Off to the nether...

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm having difficulty with my Composter. It has four sewers with iron upgrades, fluiducts feeding it sewage, power, and an output chest. It's stuck at 37/100 work and 16/4000mb sewage and won't do anything. Any ideas? Wrenching the ducts into extract mode doesn't seem to make much difference, there's a trickle of sewage in them either way. The sewers themselves all have 1000mb in them. Oh, hang on, no they haven't, they have Mob Essence in them! How did that happen? OK, it's working now, I removed and replaced all the pipes. I just built the sewer system, and I don't even have a mob farm in this world yet. Mob Essence should not be anywhere!

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I'm having difficulty with my Composter. It has four sewers with iron upgrades, fluiducts feeding it sewage, power, and an output chest. It's stuck at 37/100 work and 16/4000mb sewage and won't do anything. Any ideas? Wrenching the ducts into extract mode doesn't seem to make much difference, there's a trickle of sewage in them either way. The sewers themselves all have 1000mb in them. Oh, hang on, no they haven't, they have Mob Essence in them! How did that happen? OK, it's working now, I removed and replaced all the pipes. I just built the sewer system, and I don't even have a mob farm in this world yet. Mob Essence should not be anywhere!
If there is experience around the sewer they will collect it and turn it into mob essence

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

If animals breed near a sewer.. or any xp orbs drop on one it makes mob essence.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, wow I didn't know that, thanks. I guess I better set up something to stop it gumming up my compost system.

I ran into that same problem with the Sewer under the Breeder for cows I have setup. I was actually really happy to see that sewers pick up those XP orbs from breeding cows now. My cow farm sends the babies off to grow up and be food for the Grinder that gathers Mob Essence for me, so I setup a liquid router to send the essence from the Sewer to the same tank that the essence from the Grinder goes into.