Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Drat... I thought no one was ever going to notice that :(
Oh, I've known about them for a very VERY long time. They're the bane of my existence in the Nether. I always carefully scan groups of pigmen at a distance on the off chance one is angry.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
And this shocks you? :p

No, not really. I've seen enough of your antics on Forgecraft and here on the forums to know you have a really sick and twisted streak.... Actually I think there is only sick and twisted. :rolleyes:

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
hehe... they have been in since day 1... I have been expecting someone to mention them at some point :p

I have asked about this before, and I expect that you were laughing maniacally at your screen. And in my head, stroking a white long haired cat in an armchair, with your back to a large fireplace, and wearing a monocle.

Last edited:

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I have asked about this before, and I expect that you were laughing maniacally at your screen. And in my head, stroking a white long haired cat in an armchair, with your back to a large fireplace, and wearing a monocle.

My cats are always black...and I like facing the fireplace... but close enough...

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I've started several Magic Farm 2 worlds and have ended up at one of the 2 following outcomes every time:

1. The combination of itemducts and anything MFR causing mass game corruption in various ways, from items being eaten en-route to a destination to the fun I just had in my latest world where no chunk but the current one would even load and after accidentally stepping off the side of the chunk I'm still falling at y: -5000 and counting. And I can't switch to creative mode via NEI or any other method. Only choice is to disable MFR and/or TE, rip everything out, MCEdit myself back to land, and hope I have enough certus to get AE going or maybe force myself to use transfer pipes if not.

2. Being insta-killed by "magic" or some equally lame uber-mob I never even saw, and then after madly scraping the equipment together to get back to the latest of my latest death waypoints, finding that the gravestones didn't generate and I just lost my alumite equipment i was trying to xp up for the equally death-defying nether mining trip.

I love the idea of the modpack and truly have had more fun with the early-game mechanics than I've had with other FtB packs in a long time, but the eq loss gets to be too much for even a slightly more than casual player. Are the gravestones meant to fail at some definable rate?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've started several Magic Farm 2 worlds and have ended up at one of the 2 following outcomes every time:

1. The combination of itemducts and anything MFR causing mass game corruption in various ways, from items being eaten en-route to a destination to the fun I just had in my latest world where no chunk but the current one would even load and after accidentally stepping off the side of the chunk I'm still falling at y: -5000 and counting. And I can't switch to creative mode via NEI or any other method. Only choice is to disable MFR and/or TE, rip everything out, MCEdit myself back to land, and hope I have enough certus to get AE going or maybe force myself to use transfer pipes if not.

2. Being insta-killed by "magic" or some equally lame uber-mob I never even saw, and then after madly scraping the equipment together to get back to the latest of my latest death waypoints, finding that the gravestones didn't generate and I just lost my alumite equipment i was trying to xp up for the equally death-defying nether mining trip.

I love the idea of the modpack and truly have had more fun with the early-game mechanics than I've had with other FtB packs in a long time, but the eq loss gets to be too much for even a slightly more than casual player. Are the gravestones meant to fail at some definable rate?

Well, I can't comment on 1, because I've never gotten that far having been playing hardcore mf the last few worlds. I have however been hit by the second several times. both in HC and in regularly hard survival. At one point, there were two gravestone mods competing for your death items. I believe the info is in this thread, somewhere. basically, you had to disable one of them, so the other one spawned correctly, and two change the number of items to keep from 10 to 40. At 10, it only saved the contents of your hotbar. Everything else was lost. This was a few versions back, so it may already be corrected in the latest builds. Playing HC, I haven't had opportunity to see the change.

If you haven't already, read through this thread, and a new getting started guide thread created by @DrowElf. That should get you setup with a bunch of tips and tricks that have been used by several members. If you have ever played PVP in minecraft, always keep a second set of gear ready. Always have multiple weapons in case you encounter a "rust/disarming" mob. Keep a bow handy. If you see pink/purple swirls on a mob, they have regen, and most equipment won't damage them enough to kill them, so run or incapacitate them (2 deep hole, block them in, etc.) If you see all color swirls, run, as these are infernal mobs. Base alumite gear and iron is not always enough for these baddies. Zombies can track from what seems like 64 blocks away.

Look into TC4 if you haven't already. It gives a way to get some good gear relatively early. Some of the wands are nice, although you will need nether quartz to make.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

The first is very odd, as I and several players and servers have worlds several months old without that issue.

The gravestones should be working in the latest builds. In a couple previous builds they were bugged. And 2 builds back I enabled it storing your entire inventory and spawning 100% of the time.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I've already swapped out TE and removed all my itemduct/power infrestructure and restored my world, but that's happened to me 3 times now, usually right as I'm getting enough items moving through the itemducts that I need to hook up a trash can to handle the excess wood I'm not turning into charcoal or storing in a JABBA barrel. I'm going to reconnect my MFR treefarms with something other than itemducts and will hopefully have better luck.

I've had similar issues with itemducts in a DW20 world so I don't think it's specific to MF2, just interactions with MFR and itemducts. My DW20 world had my first quarry going full-bore with ore processing and worked fine until I hooked up the MFR planter/harvester. My guess is once an itemduct system has multiple branches with so many destination options (barrel-network for pre-AE storage) it gets confused and then adding MFR seals the deal. I also have the itemducts hooked directly to the MFR machines using servos and whitelists instead of using a chest on the harvester like I would for AE.

Reactions: MigukNamja

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
I've had similar issues with itemducts in a DW20 world so I don't think it's specific to MF2, just interactions with MFR and itemducts. My DW20 world had my first quarry going full-bore with ore processing and worked fine until I hooked up the MFR planter/harvester. My guess is once an itemduct system has multiple branches with so many destination options (barrel-network for pre-AE storage) it gets confused and then adding MFR seals the deal. I also have the itemducts hooked directly to the MFR machines using servos and whitelists instead of using a chest on the harvester like I would for AE.

I have had similar issues but not even requiring MFR. While I have not been able to create it, the first time I got the corruption was wrench-removing a TE machine connected to an itemduct with a servo in it.

The resulting corruption was fun though, various ores turned to mushroom or pumpkin blocks, tall grass turned into emerald blocks, oak leaves became nether quartz ore, some other type of leaves became wooden buttons, and while I will never know what it once was, I ended up with a single block of end portal.

I ended up keeping the world, it was strange enough to be interesting.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
I have had similar issues but not even requiring MFR. While I have not been able to create it, the first time I got the corruption was wrench-removing a TE machine connected to an itemduct with a servo in it.

The resulting corruption was fun though, various ores turned to mushroom or pumpkin blocks, tall grass turned into emerald blocks, oak leaves became nether quartz ore, some other type of leaves became wooden buttons, and while I will never know what it once was, I ended up with a single block of end portal.

I ended up keeping the world, it was strange enough to be interesting.

The world I just had to repair got to the point where I couldn't right-click on anything, and time seemed to stop. Mobs wouldn't move, machines wouldn't work, I couldn't sleep or right-click harvest crops, and breaking any block would just make that block instantly reappear. Quit and go back in, and I had about 5-10sec where I could interact with the world and then it would all stop again. All that with nothing in the logs to show anything is wrong. That world is now working better since I ripped out all my TE infrastructure and have started slowly building the AE replacement I've been planning, but I'm still getting random slowdowns where blocks won't break for a couple seconds. I had to put back in a minimal number of itemducts to just barely automate power (redstone furnaces -> steam dynamos) until I can get enough AE built to run my treefarms on, and I'm hoping that once I replace that with AE that will go away.

Gotta admit it's kinda fun to be able to stand safely in front of an ender creeper...

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The world I just had to repair got to the point where I couldn't right-click on anything, and time seemed to stop. Mobs wouldn't move, machines wouldn't work, I couldn't sleep or right-click harvest crops, and breaking any block would just make that block instantly reappear. Quit and go back in, and I had about 5-10sec where I could interact with the world and then it would all stop again. All that with nothing in the logs to show anything is wrong. That world is now working better since I ripped out all my TE infrastructure and have started slowly building the AE replacement I've been planning, but I'm still getting random slowdowns where blocks won't break for a couple seconds. I had to put back in a minimal number of itemducts to just barely automate power (redstone furnaces -> steam dynamos) until I can get enough AE built to run my treefarms on, and I'm hoping that once I replace that with AE that will go away.

Gotta admit it's kinda fun to be able to stand safely in front of an ender creeper...

That sounds like the bug I was getting with Infernal mobs the other day.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds like the bug I was getting with Infernal mobs the other day.
Updated to 2.1.3 to try out TC 4.1, and before I even built anything I had the lag-out bug happen. There were about 3 infernal mobs in a village and everything ground to a halt. Gonna try backtracking to 2.1.2 and making a new world without any itemducts to see how that goes. My "fixed" world ended up getting corrupted and unloadable. It just hangs after launching and writes nothing to the logs after the NEI startup message.

Linkyloser

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I'm just popping in here for some advice. I can't find any linking panels in the game to use mystcraft. Are they not in magic farm or am I just insane?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have suggestions for power sources using the foodie challenge configs?

I know the only extra utilities generators available are the survivalist generator and the culinary generator. I saw the compression dynamo from TE is there too. I take it that this can run off biofuel? I've not had real opportunity to use it yet, and the wiki is a little lacking. I am finally far enough in my world to start needing to worry about power.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have suggestions for power sources using the foodie challenge configs?

I know the only extra utilities generators available are the survivalist generator and the culinary generator. I saw the compression dynamo from TE is there too. I take it that this can run off biofuel? I've not had real opportunity to use it yet, and the wiki is a little lacking. I am finally far enough in my world to start needing to worry about power.

Look in the CoFH fuel config, a lot of liquid food items have been added <.<

Also the BioReactor works off plants.