Magic Farm 2 venting and advice thread

dazbuzz

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is a TE thing or a MF2 thing, but do the TE machines not auto-pull things from chests anymore? I finally got to set up a Pulverizer and Redstone Furnace, but the Pulverizer will not pull from the adjacent chest, despite setting the correct sides to blue. The Redstone Furnace has no problem pulling from the Pulverizer however. I assume i can just bypass this problem with a Hopper though.

Normally i wouldnt ask, but MF2 is confusing regarding the things it disables/changes.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is a TE thing or a MF2 thing, but do the TE machines not auto-pull things from chests anymore? I finally got to set up a Pulverizer and Redstone Furnace, but the Pulverizer will not pull from the adjacent chest, despite setting the correct sides to blue. The Redstone Furnace has no problem pulling from the Pulverizer however. I assume i can just bypass this problem with a Hopper though.

Normally i wouldnt ask, but MF2 is confusing regarding the things it disables/changes.

This is a TE3 thing and not an MF2 thing.

TE3 machines do not auto-pull. They only auto-push. Use a hopper, TE itemduct, JABBA barrel w/hopper upgrade, or similar to push into a TE3 machine.

They do still auto-push, though. The Redstone Furnace in your example is not pulling, per se, it's the Pulverizer that's pushing into the Furnace.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Great, ill just use a hopper then. I was afraid MF2 had changed things to make TE require manual labor. Oh the horror!

Thanks for the explanation~

Oh, TE3 is definitely not about manual labor. A very simple, early-game automation I have used a couple of times in MF2 with TE3 is lining up all my TE3 machines in a row, setting the top face to blue (input), and only the bottom face to orange (output). Underneath the row of machines, connected to the output face, is a line of itemducts. The itemducts dump into a chest at the end. I wrench the itemducts on the bottom of each machine one time to make them dark red. You don't need a servo or redstone signal to activate it since the TE3 machine above it is pushing into it.

The only blue connection in that itemduct line/chain is the one feeding into the chest. I put power (conduit cable) on the backside of the rows of machines. On the top of each machine is a hopper and a chest.

After a spelunking or farming/harvesting session, I dump the stuff into the chests and walk away. I check the chest sometime later for outputs.

I do the same thing for non-TE3 machines like the Harvestcraft Presser and Forestry machines. However, they don't auto-push, so I have to install a servo on their itemduct beneath them to have the itemduct pull from the machine.

I usually keep this basic setup the whole way through world, at least the machines and bottom part. If the world lasts long enough for AE, I swap out the hoppers and chests for ME (Precision) Export buses and upgrade the itemducts to the fast "glowstone-infused" kind. The chest at the end gets replaced with an ME Interface.

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, TE3 is definitely not about manual labor. A very simple, early-game automation I have used a couple of times in MF2 with TE3 is lining up all my TE3 machines in a row, setting the top face to blue (input), and only the bottom face to orange (output). Underneath the row of machines, connected to the output face, is a line of itemducts. The itemducts dump into a chest at the end. I wrench the itemducts on the bottom of each machine one time to make them dark red. You don't need a servo or redstone signal to activate it since the TE3 machine above it is pushing into it.

The only blue connection in that itemduct line/chain is the one feeding into the chest. I put power (conduit cable) on the backside of the rows of machines. On the top of each machine is a hopper and a chest.

After a spelunking or farming/harvesting session, I dump the stuff into the chests and walk away. I check the chest sometime later for outputs.

I do the same thing for non-TE3 machines like the Harvestcraft Presser and Forestry machines. However, they don't auto-push, so I have to install a servo on their itemduct beneath them to have the itemduct pull from the machine.

I usually keep this basic setup the whole way through world, at least the machines and bottom part. If the world lasts long enough for AE, I swap out the hoppers and chests for ME (Precision) Export buses and upgrade the itemducts to the fast "glowstone-infused" kind. The chest at the end gets replaced with an ME Interface.

How well does the Harvestcraft Presser automate? Does it work well with itemducts (with servos as needed)?

I've been contemplating the automation of Supreme Pizzas as my next project in MF2, I make them with firm tofu at the moment by hand, there are some alternatives to that with meat though.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I'll definately have an answer tonight on that...

we'll find out if it can be autocrafted by ae and/or if it can be autocrafted using TE's autocrafters. I'm hoping so because working with that presser sucks. Can't shift click anything.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I've seen the Harvestcraft mod asking questions of Azanor on his mcf thread, about how to make that work. So should it be coming in a future version of harvestcraft.

Reactions: netmc

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I am aware, only the MFR harvester can work with the Harvestcraft crops.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, and Magic Crops has the same problem in beta6 (it's supposedly fixed in 15a, but that version crashes with something in the FTB packs atm), so MFR is pretty much it for crop support until cross-mod stuff with TC is worked out. But most of the crop mod devs seem to be working on it, so I think patience will reward us with golem farms again in the future.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I think I've figured out how I'm going to power everything using the food challenge configs. I'm going to run the whole thing off grapes!

Growthcraft grapes to be exact. One golem with enough upgrades can harvest 16 grape vines. With 2 water upgrades and the spectacles, it will harvest in a 7 block radius from its home. That is enough to harvest an entire row of grapes from two plants (14 blocks--the golem will harvest 15 blocks total.) In a 15x16 area, you can fit in 16 grape vines. They grow at a pretty decent rate, so should be able to give a decent amount of power.. 40RF/tick for 6 seconds I believe (when made into grape salad). I have a feeling that the grapes will grow faster than my little golem can harvest, but we will see. I used a flesh golem because of the above average speed. One could probably use an advanced golem and add in a speed upgrade and the bowtie (I think that one is the speed upgrade) to make it a bit faster.

With the culinary generator, and grapes, you get 20RF/tick for 9 seconds. or 40RF/tick for 6 seconds if you use grape salad. The higher food tiers give higher RF/tick. However, looking at the total energy produced, the basic grapes give 540RF total (3 grapes needed to make 1 grape salad) and a grape salad only gives 240RF total. Using a bank of culinary generators is the best way to maximize the total power output as each generator's output would only be 20RF/tick.

We will see how all this turns out...

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'll definately have an answer tonight on that...

we'll find out if it can be autocrafted by ae and/or if it can be autocrafted using TE's autocrafters. I'm hoping so because working with that presser sucks. Can't shift click anything.

Yes. Early-game, I put a hopper on top of my presser and a TE3 itemduct w/servo below to extract. Works nicely. I right click the hopper and then shift+click to insert whatever I went pressed. If I'm feeling really cheeky, I'll put a barrel on top of the hopper (or just use a hopper upgrade *in* the barrel) and then I just right-click.

If you are presssing soybeans, you can filter the soft tofu into a 2nd presser (or loop back around) to make firm tofu (meat substitute) and pipe the soy milk bottles wherever.

Hmm...I think tonight, I'll hookup some MFR liquicrafters to auto-craft hearty stew. It takes just wheat, soy, and soup stock (ex. carrots) and no power or water. 60RF/t for 12s in the culinary generator.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I think I've figured out how I'm going to power everything using the food challenge configs. I'm going to run the whole thing off grapes!

Growthcraft grapes to be exact. One golem with enough upgrades can harvest 16 grape vines. With 2 water upgrades and the spectacles, it will harvest in a 7 block radius from its home. That is enough to harvest an entire row of grapes from two plants (14 blocks--the golem will harvest 15 blocks total.) In a 15x16 area, you can fit in 16 grape vines. They grow at a pretty decent rate, so should be able to give a decent amount of power.. 40RF/tick for 6 seconds I believe (when made into grape salad). I have a feeling that the grapes will grow faster than my little golem can harvest, but we will see. I used a flesh golem because of the above average speed. One could probably use an advanced golem and add in a speed upgrade and the bowtie (I think that one is the speed upgrade) to make it a bit faster.

With the culinary generator, and grapes, you get 20RF/tick for 9 seconds. or 40RF/tick for 6 seconds if you use grape salad. The higher food tiers give higher RF/tick. However, looking at the total energy produced, the basic grapes give 540RF total (3 grapes needed to make 1 grape salad) and a grape salad only gives 240RF total. Using a bank of culinary generators is the best way to maximize the total power output as each generator's output would only be 20RF/tick.

We will see how all this turns out...

Yeah, I love the culinary generator. It really does encourage you to make better-quality food.

This playthrough, a few of my self-imposed rules are:
  • Strict building codes
  • No infinite water (Forestry rain tank for the win)
  • Food powah ! (culinary generator only)
It's making for a nice challenge. It's amazing how far a hardened energy cell and a single culinary generator are lasting in this world. Golems for food auto-farming are nice since they don't require power.

I just got my crop production to a stage where I can keep the culinary generator fed with hearty stew, which is 60RF/t for 12s.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
  • No infinite water (Forestry rain tank for the win)
If you use chunk loaders, it essentially provides infinite water. Though, I do commend you for not using Aqueous Accumulators.

Take note of this:

Production (over same time period)
  • Rain tank (Forestry) | ~15,000 mB
  • Weather Collector (MFR) | ~30,000 mB (consumed ~8000 RF)
  • Water Tank Siding (Railcraft) | ~4500 mB
Considerations
  • Railcraft produces water at ~9 mB per second while it is not raining.
  • MFR and Forestry only produce while raining.
  • Railcraft requires the most space, as it is a 3x3 multiblock structure.
  • MFR consumes power to produce water, but at a much quicker rate.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Unless someone on the server has set up something to detect rain and stop it straight away...

Oh, another important self-imposed rule : no chunk loaders !

I've always used chunk loaders on my server playthroughs. But, this time, I want more of a challenge and a longer-lasting world.

As for rain collection, I went with the Forestry Rain Tank for 3 reasons:

1. No power (my build is a low-power build for a change)
2. Making it rain requires pollen, which is a nice tie-in with bees, which I always enjoy
3. Until I'm making pollen, I have to deal with randomness

Overall, I'm trying for a very different style of world than I've played before. I've usually gone big on power and production before, but am trying smaller for a change of pace. It's a pure "change of pace" thing and not one kind of build being superior over another.

Reactions: netmc and PhilHibbs