Opinions on Dartcraft

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious what people think of the balance of Dartcraft in 1.6.4. Everyone knows it was VERY overpowered when it first came out, but now it is more balanced, but I would not say it is fairly balanced.

Just a few examples of some of the things that I did that some people considered unbalanced:

• With MFR and Forestry you can power your entire base more or less for free by squeezing force logs from a multifarm for liquid force and boosting the engines with milk from a MFR rancher. That set up alone allows you to get more than enough milk and liquid force for 12 engines, which equates to 120 MJ/t.
  • Siphoning off some of the force logs, I created a constant supply of Golden Power Source (like charcoal but smelts 12 items) which I used to fuel my Grinding Force Furnace which I used to grind my ores. Using Factorization I created a basic autocrafting system to craft all the ground up dusts into chunks (2x2 recipes) which boost the ore: ingot ratio to 2:5. Feeding the chunks into a TC4 Infernal Furnace boosts that ratio to roughly 2:5.2 via nuggets.
I am a big fan of Dartcraft, but I can't help but see both sides of the argument. So, what are the community's thoughts?

EDIT: Note that in the latest version of DC, the Force Wrench has a whitelist, solving most of the issues with it.

Last edited:

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing I can blatantly say is OP is the ability to Force-Wrench TC4 Nodes. As for Force Engines, I tested one MFR Force Tree farm with 2 36HP boilers for a total output of 288 MJ/t. TE4 Dynamos, especially Magmatics, also blow Force Engines out of the water due to a base output of 80 RF/t (8 MJ/t) using only lava.

By the way, when you really look it it the ore:ingot ratio is only 1:2.6 at max. That's a lot, but not as much as a full Mekanism setup (which also processes 7 stacks at once and runs on all forms of power). In addition, it has to run on fuel if you're using the Furnace and (even worse) IC2 power if you use the Grinder.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is pretty close to balanced while adding some interesting functionality that is lacking elsewhere. There are still a couple mod interactions to clean up, but it will happen.

I too used mfr+dartcraft for force tree farm/power/etc. I don't see it that much different than doing mfr+ic2 for charcoal power or mfr+forestry for ethanol power. If you look closely you'll notice that there is one mod in each and every one of those examples and it isn't Dartcraft. ;)

Reactions: immibis

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I like the Force Wrench, even with the need to refuel it in the Infuser using liquid Force. I do not think it is overpowered but then, I do not play with TC4. :p

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
for me it's a choice between Tinker's Construct or Dartcraft, because they do mostly the same thing. with that choice, I'll always choose Tinker's Construct.
though the main selling point for Dartcraft for me is the Force wrench, which now uses fuel as a balancing factor, but it's still not balanced enough for me.
because if your force-wrench an entity, it takes the same amount of liquid force for anything you force-wrench... in my opinion this should be changed, and the amount of liquid force it uses depends on what you're force-wrenching. so force-wrenching a simple chest take a bit of liquid force, but for example a mob spawner or a thaumcraft node takes alot of liquid force.

Mysteana

Jul 29, 2019
Love Dartcraft because of its BAGS

Going exploring? I grab my 'Adventuring' pack out of storage which contains a stockpile of torches, food, arrows. Done with exploring? Toss the bag back into storage and pull out my mining bag to go mining plus the bags that automatically clean up my backpack of ores and cobble and other crap. Or grab my building bag with stacks of building materials set to auto-resupply.

SandGrainOne

Jul 29, 2019
Love Dartcraft because of its BAGS

Going exploring? I grab my 'Adventuring' pack out of storage which contains a stockpile of torches, food, arrows. Done with exploring? Toss the bag back into storage and pull out my mining bag to go mining plus the bags that automatically clean up my backpack of ores and cobble and other crap. Or grab my building bag with stacks of building materials set to auto-resupply.
It sounds like you are talking about Forestry backpacks, but it could be that DartCraft has gotten something similar now.

Mysteana

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft bags have far finer control. I do not need to edit a config file to specify what a bag automatically picks up. I can have a single bag that resupplies torches and food but picks up ores. I can have one bag that is totally dedicated to cobblestone, and can even automatically craft them into compressed/double compressed etc... cobblestone blocks. Forestry backpacks cannot do that.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Best thing about Dartcraft is that regardless of how it gets balanced by default, each change to that balance gets a config option. That way if I want to play the most recent Dartcraft with the original OP settings, I can.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I cant play without it honestly. The bag system and the clipboard, so freaking good!

If someone where to make a mod with just these 2 though (like JABA), id instantly drop it. To much IC2/forestry(/BC) orientated for my liking with no current plans for TE integration...

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
for me it's a choice between Tinker's Construct or Dartcraft, because they do mostly the same thing. with that choice, I'll always choose Tinker's Construct.
though the main selling point for Dartcraft for me is the Force wrench, which now uses fuel as a balancing factor, but it's still not balanced enough for me.
because if your force-wrench an entity, it takes the same amount of liquid force for anything you force-wrench... in my opinion this should be changed, and the amount of liquid force it uses depends on what you're force-wrenching. so force-wrenching a simple chest take a bit of liquid force, but for example a mob spawner or a thaumcraft node takes alot of liquid force.

The only similarity is the tools, which are no longer really the main part of DartCraft. It adds a ton of utility machines and extra stuff thats just generally fun to play

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
So far it seems that if the Force Wrench got nerfed a bit, everyone would be fine with the mod.

Also, to the people talking about MFR with Dartcraft, remember that there is no compatibility between the 2 without a patch as MFR tree farms are seen as fairly overpowered already.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just found out another great thing about dartcraft. Its chests are not only viewable by open peripherals, but they can also be opened even if they have a solid block on top of them (including the peripheral proxy). I don't think I can convey how much and for how long I have wanted something that can do this.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
So far it seems that if the Force Wrench got nerfed a bit, everyone would be fine with the mod.

Also, to the people talking about MFR with Dartcraft, remember that there is no compatibility between the 2 without a patch as MFR tree farms are seen as fairly overpowered already.

I wouldn't say everyone, the nerf already placed on the Force Wrench makes it so the main reason I used Dart Craft in the first place, being able to easily pick up and move things around in my base, is now far more of a pain and I can't seem to find a config option to change it back to the original fuel free method, if not for force trees to get nuggets for making thaumium, golden power source, and force shears because I'm a big old softy and hate killing my cows and chickens for their hides I wouldn't even bother with it.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The real problem with the Force Wrench is that it exists. It simply isn't safe to move all tile entities like that. It's reckless and can potentially break worlds.

While I understand this idea, I would be willing to risk such for the ease it offers.

If he were to put an in game warning for it and the option to disable it for servers would you still be against it?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The only similarity is the tools, which are no longer really the main part of DartCraft. It adds a ton of utility machines and extra stuff thats just generally fun to play

true, it has add some other featues, but no real features that I'd say are unique... whenever I go down the feature list of Dartcraft I can't stop myself from going "already have a mod that does that, and that, and also that, and that..."