Opinions on Dartcraft

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
true, it has add some other featues, but no real features that I'd say are unique... whenever I go down the feature list of Dartcraft I can't stop myself from going "already have a mod that does that, and that, and also that, and that..."
That's where I think I differ from most players: I don't care if other mods do it, if it's fun it's fun. Not putting a mod in a modpack because there is another mod that does what it does just seems silly to me. For instance, this next world, I will be trying to have a house for each large mod (and of course, all magic goes together, because magic.)

Reactions: trajing and DrowElf

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I love it. Idk what changes were made in 1.6.4 tho. The issue i had with the previous version was the the cheapness of OP tools/armor like Sharp X Swords and if you had full force armor nothing could really hurt you, everything else i was ok with. I do like ive heard the force wrench needs refueled. The force wrench was my favorite because you could move stuff without removing the contents and spawners :)

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I love it. Idk what changes were made in 1.6.4 tho. The issue i had with the previous version was the the cheapness of OP tools/armor like Sharp X Swords and if you had full force armor nothing could really hurt you, everything else i was ok with. I do like ive heard the force wrench needs refueled. The force wrench was my favorite because you could move stuff without removing the contents and spawners :)
Everything needs to be fueled with Liquid Force or it gets broken now, which is a touch I quite like. Unlike 1.5 DartCraft, I think I enjoy the 1.6 Dartcraft :D

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
While I understand this idea, I would be willing to risk such for the ease it offers.

If he were to put an in game warning for it and the option to disable it for servers would you still be against it?

The correct way to handle it is to add a .cfg file with WHITELISTED Tile Entities, with very very little on there by default. Server owners can then set that up as they wish. That way the presence of the wrench itself is not an issue - only a bad .cfg file.

Sarkahn

Jul 29, 2019
I do feel it's an improvement over the 1.5 version in terms of balance and shiny new features. The potions and mob spawners are a neat idea. Some of textures are TERRIBLE though. Really terrible.

The armor still seems really overpowered given how easy it is to get and the haste enchants are very cheap and available the second you have your infuser.

I really wish the enchants in general were more costly. Still feels too easy to get a fortune pick and a "Lumberjack" axe that you would basically never need to replace since you can just keep repairing them with more force. At the moment every enchant costs only one level of experience, that should probably be upped based on the strength of the enchant. Not as much as vanilla of course, but some more cost would be nice.

The magic bar is a cool idea but it regenerates so quickly that it seems meaningless to me. Also it's weird and redundant given the liquid force/durability consumption on items. I'm still not clear what consumes magic and what doesn't. Hitting a mob with an enchanted force sword consumes magic but casting a spell with an enchanted force rod doesn't? What?

As mentioned before, force packs are brilliant. And the clipboard is brilliant. I went without Dartcraft for a while after the switch to 1.6, feels so nice to have the clipboard back.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
The correct way to handle it is to add a .cfg file with WHITELISTED Tile Entities, with very very little on there by default. Server owners can then set that up as they wish. That way the presence of the wrench itself is not an issue - only a bad .cfg file.
See, I'd be fine with this. The list would probably have to include vanilla chests, Irons Chests, glass (it lets you actually pick up glass, if you didn't know) and IC2 power storage, plus anything else it can current silktouch. The handling from there would be the same (no chestception).

Also, the clipboard and Force Packs alone are reason to install DC. They're just utterly brilliant.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I see no problem with chestception.
Oh no, I meant how you can't Force Wrench chests with Force Packs, filled chests or other filled inventories. Basically, no chests within chests within chests. That's how it works right now.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Which is dumb, imo.
It was done that way because any further than chest within a chest has a decent probability of world crashing and corruption, from what I understand. That, and to prevent you from putting your entire base in a single Ender Chest lol.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It was done that way because any further than chest within a chest has a decent probability of world crashing and corruption, from what I understand. That, and to prevent you from putting your entire base in a single Ender Chest lol.

That's just poor coding and could be done properly.

There is nothing wrong with the latter though. Merely convenience.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why people go on and on about 'balance'. On a PVP or grief server, yes, I get it... but isn't that up to the server owners?
Dartcraft is fun, pure and simple. Yes, it does some things that OTHER modders consider overpowered without a great deal of pain (although I never understood why autocrafting is considered so overpowered... autoBUILDING structures, sure, but automatically turning wheat into bread? geesh.). The major time sinks are still there, falling into a lava ocean in the nether is still a pain in the butt even if you don't die instantly from it, and even things that reduce the need for food (baconator) still requires you to sink time into it.

I am getting tired of people pointing out the massively unbalanced headache that was nano armor and saying 'Look! Dartcraft can almost do that without all the headaches!" As if, somehow, IC2 set the bar for 'balance' and every other modder has to toe the line forever and ever, amen.

Essentially, I think DW20's pack should get dartcraft back, and if an individual server owner is worried about it, they can disable it... that way the rest of us can play open server without worrying about constantly making custom packs for each FTB server we play on.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't understand why people go on and on about 'balance'. On a PVP or grief server, yes, I get it... but isn't that up to the server owners?
Dartcraft is fun, pure and simple. Yes, it does some things that OTHER modders consider overpowered without a great deal of pain (although I never understood why autocrafting is considered so overpowered... autoBUILDING structures, sure, but automatically turning wheat into bread? geesh.). The major time sinks are still there, falling into a lava ocean in the nether is still a pain in the butt even if you don't die instantly from it, and even things that reduce the need for food (baconator) still requires you to sink time into it.

I am getting tired of people pointing out the massively unbalanced headache that was nano armor and saying 'Look! Dartcraft can almost do that without all the headaches!" As if, somehow, IC2 set the bar for 'balance' and every other modder has to toe the line forever and ever, amen.

Essentially, I think DW20's pack should get dartcraft back, and if an individual server owner is worried about it, they can disable it... that way the rest of us can play open server without worrying about constantly making custom packs for each FTB server we play on.

While I generally agree; a couple things:

Balance and talk of it as a universal thing is moot. Your definition of balance is different from virtually everyone else. Mod devs don't have to follow anyone but themselves when it comes to their mod. How they set that bar and what they base it off is up to them. The end.

DW20 has complete control over what goes in his pack. He is the only person that can say "This goes here". His own personal idea of balance is the only thing that matters.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Okay, but a lot of people are Using DW20 until an official 1.6.4 'FTB' pack is out. I am hoping Dartcraft makes the cut, because i think it belongs there. I also noticed that NONE of the new packs have dartcraft, and I think that is a mistake.

My own 'magic versus medieval' server pack (totally permissioned) revolves around ancient warfare, dartcraft, Thaumcraft, minions, and ars magica (open blocks, highlands, and extra utilities thrown in for fun), and I have a harder time keeping the server up 24/7 than I do getting long-term players to keep going. It's not perfect but with that setup I have never seen any 'balance' issues as long as people follow the rules (No personal attacks, all violence and destruction MUST be accomplished through proxies, pets, traps, and machines). In short, I think that the amount of fun lost by ditching DC outweighs any balance issues.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well, Okay, but a lot of people are Using DW20 until an official 1.6.4 'FTB' pack is out. I am hoping Dartcraft makes the cut, because i think it belongs there. I also noticed that NONE of the new packs have dartcraft, and I think that is a mistake.

My own 'magic versus medieval' server pack (totally permissioned) revolves around ancient warfare, dartcraft, Thaumcraft, minions, and ars magica (open blocks, highlands, and extra utilities thrown in for fun), and I have a harder time keeping the server up 24/7 than I do getting long-term players to keep going. It's not perfect but with that setup I have never seen any 'balance' issues as long as people follow the rules (No personal attacks, all violence and destruction MUST be accomplished through proxies, pets, traps, and machines). In short, I think that the amount of fun lost by ditching DC outweighs any balance issues.

But the thing is that's not up to any one person to decide. The FTB team takes in a great amount of input, feedback, and polling. They then use that information, along with a theme for the pack and generalized balance, make packs.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you think I am opening my mouth? (grin)[DOUBLEPOST=1387586712][/DOUBLEPOST]or...at least exercising my fingers, I guess.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
The original reason I started this thread was because I saw that DC wasn't in any of the new packs and I was wondering if this was because the general view of the FTB community was that DC was bad or personal preference of the FTB team. Since most of the response here is positive, it would seem that it is either balance or preference.

On chestception, I am with Hoff. There is a config option that allows you to enable it by the way.

Also, King Lemming has the best fix for the Force Wrench so hopefully Bluedart will implement that.

Badger

Jul 29, 2019
But the thing is that's not up to any one person to decide. The FTB team takes in a great amount of input, feedback, and polling. They then use that information, along with a theme for the pack and generalized balance, make packs.
You can bet your buttons that they give a lot more weight to the 'established' mod authors opinions than to the general community opinion. If someone like CJ or Sengir says they don't like a mod's balance, it won't make the cut. Guaranteed.

Then again, that's generally why I consider the FTB builds a 'starting point' rather than the final game I am playing. I use FTB to find new and interesting mods (loved Horizons, new world, infamy, and magic farm for that very reason) because they often provide some mods I hadn't seen on the main mod list at the minecraft forums, and let me try them out without worrying too much about assembling a modpack around them. If they seem fun and workable, I check 'em for permissions and then migrate them to the server and the mod download.

Not too pleased with the most recent DW20 pack, though, it seems mostly more of the same. there are a few new goodies, like openblocks and waila, but for the most part it doesn't feel like it has changed much since 1.4.6.

I guess that works for maintaining server integrity, but it's kinda boring.