Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

venom0213

Jul 29, 2019
ExtraUtils adds a redstone timer block that does nothing other than silently produce a redstone pulse every second.

Alternatively, you could use a Programmable Rednet Controller from Minefactory Reloaded or a vanilla redstone clock as a timer.

For filling buckets, you could use an Aqueous Accumulator and Liquid Transposer, both from Thermal Expansion, although the Transposer does require Buildcraft power to operate.

Edit:

Some type of bag...
-Forestry backpack.
-Enderpouch.
-Factorization Bag of Holding.
-ExtraUtils Golden Bag of Holding.
-Redpower Canvas Bag.
-EE2 Alchemy Bag.
-Tinker's Construct Knapsack.

None of those mods, save EE2, have any item that would do what you describe. EE2's tools, however, wouldn't consume pickaxes, so that's out as well.

I'm probably not the right person to be answering, as I've never seen this particular thing happen before. I'd suggest seeing if he who wrote TreeCapitator has any other mods, or, failing that, poking around the Bukkit forum/wiki/whatever.

Well thanks anyway. You were a big help :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Guys I need help with my sticky resin manual farm from Forestry. Does it work when I plant rubber trees right next to each other, bonemeal them, cut the leaves and so on or do the trees need to be spaced somehow? I noticed that my farms (2 managed apple oak farms and 1 rubber manual farm) use very little MJs, like I left a full Redstone Energy Cell to power them all and they used a 1/3 of it over an hour... is it fine or am I doing something wrong? I import products and export fertilizer via Applied Energistics buses so they do not clog up the farm.

2nd question: How many tree farms (approximately) do I need for having a little surplus of Ethanol and running up Liquid powered High Pressure Boiler? I noticed that 2 farms struggle to keep my Solid fuled HPB running solely on Wood (it runs quite smoothly with a bit of coal though) so I decided to build another, liquid fueled one.

3rd question: I noticed that there's more and more sticks in my AE system and I wonder where do they come from? I wonder if they are sort of leftovers from auto crafting or they are quarried somehow?

Sorry for asking not so simple questions but they do bother me all the time :) Thank you in advance.

I can only answer question one: yes, that works perfectly fine. And yes, it's normal for Forestry farms to use so little power. They're extremely efficient. Enjoy while it lasts, under the new Buildcraft energy system rework all machines start constantly wasting enormous amounts of idle power.

Crowzone

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on the server I played on (A modified Unleashed server) put some Liquid Spring water in a railcraft tank. Now anyone who approaches this tank crashes as the game fails to render liquid spring water (Says there is no id for liquid spring water). Is there a way to fix this by adding an item id for liquid spring water somewhere that is the same as another already existing liquid? And if so, where would the change need to be made?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
How can i remove flux on thaumcraft 3? I have high lux in my base and then i planted silverwood tree in there but suddenly it just make the flux goes up to high level.

Can anyone explain to me why that happens? How does silverwood and greatwood works?

Spacetime Mogul

Jul 29, 2019
@reddvilzz: To my knowledge there are two ways of reducing flux and they are both not completely in your hands.
First way is taken care of by the node itself - whenever the node spawns a wisp or "casts" a status effect (like "Hunger III") it's flux level will go down. This also means that if the node has high flux level but no way to spawn wisps (which will be the case if the node itself is blocked by an object/a block) it can only lessen it's flux level by casting status effects on the surrounding players.
Second way is to plant Silverwood saplings far away enough from the original node so that they form independent nodes. These nodes will be pure nodes which in turn reduce flux levels in that area periodically; meaning you will have to wait a while till it's showing.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like a really bad idea, got any details?

You can find it all in the Buildcraft changelogs. It's a paradigm shift about how the MJ energy network is being handled. All transfer is now completely lossless, regardless of distance; in return, MJ-based machines gain an idle power drain of 1 MJ/t. Railcraft has converted to this model already, which is unsurprising, considering CovertJaguar is the one who came up with this new model, and his mod has already included lossy machines and perma-running MJ producers for a long time now. Buildcraft itself is now obviously on this model, though the pump is excepted, and Buildcraft doesn't really have many machines that can run idle to boot (for example the Quarry and Filler now consume 1 MJ/t while idle, but the only time they even can be idle is when their work has already been completed).

Forestry has also recently converted to this mechanic, and that's really where it hurts the most. Forestry has a ton of machines capable of on-demand production. It's not unusual to have a dozen carpenters sitting around, running on different liquids, preset with different recipes and hooked up to AE networks. Every last one of them will continuously draw 1 MJ/t while waiting for the player to need them maybe once a day. Every multifarm will do the same, which doubles (or sometimes triples) the energy requirements of keeping one running.

Thermal Expansion has followed suit in making all MJ transfer completely lossless (except for the energy tesseract, which still retains a 20% loss), but the machines are not yet converted. The same goes for MFR. Or other hybrid energy consuming mods, for that matter. What will happen with those come 1.6? Will they convert and become inconsistent internally, having idle loss only when powered with MJ but not with other energy tipes? Will they convert and introduce idle loss for all energy forms? Will they not convert, and leave the Buildcraft ecosystem itself inconsistent? I don't know, but I'm not liking where things are headed.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
@reddvilzz: To my knowledge there are two ways of reducing flux and they are both not completely in your hands.
First way is taken care of by the node itself - whenever the node spawns a wisp or "casts" a status effect (like "Hunger III") it's flux level will go down. This also means that if the node has high flux level but no way to spawn wisps (which will be the case if the node itself is blocked by an object/a block) it can only lessen it's flux level by casting status effects on the surrounding players.
Second way is to plant Silverwood saplings far away enough from the original node so that they form independent nodes. These nodes will be pure nodes which in turn reduce flux levels in that area periodically; meaning you will have to wait a while till it's showing.

Well then i had planted the silverwood sapling but it is next to the node. That means it is bad?

I got into the point where there are no wisp spawning though but the flux still at moderate? Will it never go down to low?

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Well then i had planted the silverwood sapling but it is next to the node. That means it is bad?

I got into the point where there are no wisp spawning though but the flux still at moderate? Will it never go down to low?
Silverwood trees are bad for your node. It's a common misconception that they help it, though.
In fact, what they do is they use vis from the nearest aura node (and I believe cause flux) which is bad, in order to grow.
Once they grow they'll create a NEW node, which will be a "pure nod" which can slowly remove flux OVER TIME. This is the upside.
However, often, people hear "Silverwood trees lower flux" and, without knowing anything else about how they work, will plant dozens of them next to their nodes. This is awful for them.
Basically, what will happen is that your tree will grow (using aura to do so). Once it grows, it will be absorbed by the larger non-pure node (because the ones that the trees create are tiny) and you won't get the upside. The more you do this, the worse.

What you should do instead is create a single pure node some distance from your regular one and nurse it up to a decent size (too big will also be bad, but it has to be larger than your regular one) and force them to merge using the Crystal Core. If you did it correctly, the pure node will "win" the fight and you'll end up with a large pure node which can slowly dispell flux over time.

This, however, is pretty advanced and very time-consuming, and the best advice any thaumcrafter can get is to try and not create any flux in the first place. This means avoid using things like arcane bores near your home.

Reactions: reddvilzz

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Is sleeping through night to get your solar panels working asap considered cheating?
Sleeping is an intended vanilla mechanic, so I don't know why you'd consider it cheating.

However, that's the kind of thing that can only be determined on a person-to-person basis and what really matters is whether you consider it cheating.
I doubt anyone here would think it was though, except for people with self-imposed hardcore playstyles.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
This, however, is pretty advanced and very time-consuming, and the best advice any thaumcrafter can get is to try and not create any flux in the first place. This means avoid using things like arcane bores near your home.

So what you are saying that it will take the crystal core no matter what to clear out the flux nodes have created? Or it will disappear over time?

And also can you tell me the functions of greatwood tree?

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
So what you are saying that it will take the crystal core no matter what to clear out the flux nodes have created? Or it will disappear over time?

And also can you tell me the functions of greatwood tree?

Greatwood logs are used for several Thaumcraft recipes, also naturally grown ones sometimes have cobwebs in their branches, keep an eye out for these, as A: they have spider spawners hidden under them and B: treasure chests under the spawners.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Probably the easiest way to remove Flux from a node is to clear out some space around the node to allow wisps to spawn. It's probably a good idea to put a box of some sort around the node (glass, stone, etc.) to contain the wisps.

Does anyone know of the MFR Grinder works on wisps?

Alternatively, Thaumic Bees had (and Magic Bees probably still has) a bee that pulls Flux out of the air and gives you crystallized Aspects.
In 1.4.7, these were called Pure bees; in 1.5.2, I do not know. I would guess that it would be the same, but I haven't checked.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ehr... no.

No? Well if that is true, I'll be nothing but happy about it, you can be sure!

But can you explain how? From my experience with multifarms, a lot of the small sized ones make do with 1 MJ/t or less under the old model, by consuming bursts of energy quickly in between long periods of idle time. If the farm constantly draws idle power now, but also still has its normal power draw that comes in rare, short bursts... how is the farm not consuming at least twice, if not more, the power than it was before? It obviously depends on which kind of farm of which size you look at (I've seen a full size arboretum draw almost 6 MJ/t once), but especially the small ones should be strongly affected as far as my (admittedly not all-encompassing) understanding is concerned.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
No? Well if that is true, I'll be nothing but happy about it, you can be sure!

But can you explain how?
Gearboxes, at least in 2.2.8.3 and 2.2.8.4, are set with zero powerPerdition occurring every 100 units, so they shouldn't have power loss at all. Those are the only Forestry powerconsumers not using the default values, to my knowledge.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
You can find it all in the Buildcraft changelogs. It's a paradigm shift about how the MJ energy network is being handled...

That's... really horrifying. D:

And seems like a major kick in the junk for Redstone Conduits. Doesn't it kind of completely defeat the purpose of having an on-demand wiring and storage system if all the machines are just going to constantly drain power anyway?

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
That's... really horrifying. D:

And seems like a major kick in the junk for Redstone Conduits. Doesn't it kind of completely defeat the purpose of having an on-demand wiring and storage system if all the machines are just going to constantly drain power anyway?

Yeah, it would pretty much ruin all decentralized on demand power systems in favor of huge constantly full power steam boiler power systems.