Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I'm terribly confused, I swiped myself a writing desk from a village, made my book binder, got some pages, ink, a notebook, and made some copies of the pages I want to use for my first world, but I can't craft a linking book or descriptive book, NEI doesn't even show a recipe for a linking book when I try to bring it up. Did something change about Mystcraft between Ultimate and Unleashed?

A linking book should just be a book any normal book. Put it in your crafting sqaure and BAM it is now a link book to the place you did that at.

Unless something has changed in mystcraft.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Okay, I'm terribly confused, I swiped myself a writing desk from a village, made my book binder, got some pages, ink, a notebook, and made some copies of the pages I want to use for my first world, but I can't craft a linking book or descriptive book, NEI doesn't even show a recipe for a linking book when I try to bring it up. Did something change about Mystcraft between Ultimate and Unleashed?
Yes. You need an Ink Mixer, to put an Ink Vial and paper into the Ink Mixer to make a Linking Page, and then that Linking Page can be combined with paper to make an Unlinked Link Book. Descriptive books now require a Linking Page as one of their pages, as well.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
A linking book should just be a book any normal book. Put it in your crafting sqaure and BAM it is now a link book to the place you did that at.

Unless something has changed in mystcraft.

I know, that's why I'm confused, I put a book in my grid but no linking book shows up to craft, I pull it up in NEI and press R but nothing comes up while the recipe for a notebook shows up just fine. Same with the book binder, I put a stack of leather in the appropriate slot, a twilight lake, crystal blocks, and ravine page in their appropriate slot, name it, but no descriptive book pops up in the crafting slot, I even tried filling it with blank pages thinking maybe it needs a minimum number of pages or something and still nothing.

Yes. You need an Ink Mixer, to put an Ink Vial and paper into the Ink Mixer to make a Linking Page, and then that Linking Page can be combined with paper to make an Unlinked Link Book. Descriptive books now require a Linking Page as one of their pages, as well.

Oh goodie, making an already overly complicated system even more complicated... Well thanks for clearing that up at least.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Welp ok that changed... shows you how often I muck about with mystcraft.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, the link panel must be the first page in a descriptive book.
Also, for a linkbook, the link panel must be combined with leather, not paper.
Note that this recipe gives you an unlinked linkbook- right-click anywhere to link it to your current location.

Edit:
Oh goodie, making an already overly complicated system even more complicated... Well thanks for clearing that up at least.
You can drop other items into the ink mixer before you pull the link panel out to imbue the panel (and whatever book it goes into) with the various effects that were previously only obtainable via the Link Modifier.
Intra-Linking, Generate Platform, Maintain Momentum, and Disarm are all available, while Following is not as of yet.

There's a page on the Mystcraft Wiki that explains all this.

Reactions: gattsuru

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
The Ink Mixer is an overall improvement to the mod since you can use the Ink Mixer to add the Intralinking modifier to your linkbooks now without using Creative/Give to get your hands on a Link Modifier. A method to add Following modifiers is supposedly on its way.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm not mistaken, the link panel must be the first page in a descriptive book.
Also, for a linkbook, the link panel must be combined with leather, not paper.
Note that this recipe gives you an unlinked linkbook- right-click anywhere to link it to your current location.

Edit:

You can drop other items into the ink mixer before you pull the link panel out to imbue the panel (and whatever book it goes into) with the various effects that were previously only obtainable via the Link Modifier.
Intra-Linking, Generate Platform, Maintain Momentum, and Disarm are all available, while Following is not as of yet.

There's a page on the Mystcraft Wiki that explains all this.
The Ink Mixer is an overall improvement to the mod since you can use the Ink Mixer to add the Intralinking modifier to your linkbooks now without using Creative/Give to get your hands on a Link Modifier. A method to add Following modifiers is supposedly on its way.

I have no idea what any of this means, all I've ever really used Mystcraft for is getting easy access to mushroom biomes and using link books to create easy access between my overworld base, my Nether power plant, and an emergency evac I could use in case I accidentally fell in lava or something to jump from the overworld to the aforementioned plant.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what any of this means, all I've ever really used Mystcraft for is getting easy access to mushroom biomes and using link books to create easy access between my overworld base, my Nether power plant, and an emergency evac I could use in case I accidentally fell in lava or something to jump from the overworld to the aforementioned plant.

Normally, linkbooks can only take you to a different dimension. Trying to link to someplace in the overworld from another place in the overworld normally fails, right?

Linkbooks have things called modifiers. Think of them like TiC modifiers, but for linkbooks. :p

One of the modifiers is called Intralinking. It allows the affected linkbook to work even when it's linking within the same dimension. That way, you can have a linkbook to take you from one overworld base to the other without having to make a stop in the Nether/Twilight Forest/Promised Land/Aether/Limbo/Mining Age #86.

Following is a modifier that makes the affected linkbook stay in your inventory after being used instead of dropping on the ground. If you have a Following Linkbook to your base, you have a permanent "Go Home" teleporter that doesn't need to be placed in a book stand or abandoned after a single use. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to get the Following modifier without cheating.

The only other remotely interesting modifier is Disarm, which makes whoever uses the linkbook drop their entire inventory onto the floor and arrive at their destination buck naked. If you're the pranking type or playing in a hardcore PvP/anarchy server, you can make a Disarming linkbook and give it some enticing label like "Iridium Plate Storage" and give people a nasty surprise. :p

Anyways, with the ink mixer, you can throw special ingredients into the ink which will give the resulting link panel a chance of having certain modifiers. For example, tossing 10ish silver dust into the ink mixer gives you a pretty good chance of getting an Intralinking Panel without having any other unwanted modifiers.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Normally, linkbooks can only take you to a different dimension. Trying to link to someplace in the overworld from another place in the overworld normally fails, right?

Linkbooks have things called modifiers. Think of them like TiC modifiers, but for linkbooks. :p

One of the modifiers is called Intralinking. It allows the affected linkbook to work even when it's linking within the same dimension. That way, you can have a linkbook to take you from one overworld base to the other without having to make a stop in the Nether/Twilight Forest/Promised Land/Aether/Limbo/Mining Age #86.

Following is a modifier that makes the affected linkbook stay in your inventory after being used instead of dropping on the ground. If you have a Following Linkbook to your base, you have a permanent "Go Home" teleporter that doesn't need to be placed in a book stand or abandoned after a single use. Unfortunately, it isn't currently possible to get the Following modifier without cheating.

The only other remotely interesting modifier is Disarm, which makes whoever uses the linkbook drop their entire inventory onto the floor and arrive at their destination buck naked. If you're the pranking type or playing in a hardcore PvP/anarchy server, you can make a Disarming linkbook and give it some enticing label like "Iridium Plate Storage" and give people a nasty surprise. :p

Anyways, with the ink mixer, you can throw special ingredients into the ink which will give the resulting link panel a chance of having certain modifiers. For example, tossing 10ish silver dust into the ink mixer gives you a pretty good chance of getting an Intralinking Panel without having any other unwanted modifiers.

Eh, still seems needlessly complicated to me, I mean using it to create modified link panels I could see, but why make it so I have to use one of these panels to make descriptive books when I didn't need to before, and why make the player mess around with it to create basic link panels when it basically just amounts to putting a bottle of ink and a piece of paper into a crafting grid?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, still seems needlessly complicated to me, I mean using it to create modified link panels I could see, but why make it so I have to use one of these panels to make descriptive books when I didn't need to before, and why make the player mess around with it to create basic link panels when it basically just amounts to putting a bottle of ink and a piece of paper into a crafting grid?

Why change anything ever? Why add to mods at all?

Reactions: PeggleFrank

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
It would have been nice, if complicating the process of creating worlds would have been implemented after a change to the "discovery" method. As it is, you are still pretty much required to spam new dimensions, but the luck based method of aquiring new pages gets more and more annoying and time consuming with every change. It may very well be a great system in development, but in the mean time it is so annoying that I'm considering other options to get my wanted worlds.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
It would have been nice, if complicating the process of creating worlds would have been implemented after a change to the "discovery" method. As it is, you are still pretty much required to spam new dimensions, but the luck based method of aquiring new pages gets more and more annoying and time consuming with every change. It may very well be a great system in development, but in the mean time it is so annoying that I'm considering other options to get my wanted worlds.
Spamming ages and raiding libraries isn't the only way to get pages, you know- Mystcraft villagers sell them, and villagers can be bred infinitely with the help of a minecart and some doors. It's not much better than spamming ages randomness-wise, but at least it dosen't take up so much space on your hard drive. Also, the Trading Post from ExtraUtils is probably handy once you've got a villager generator set up, even if you're not aiming for Mystcraft pages.

The trading post, by the way, shows you all the trades from nearby villagers on one screen.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft's symbol system is a lot less brutal now that you're not punished with instability simply for having an incomplete symbol collection. Now when you create an incomplete age, it won't penalize you for filling in the blanks unless the random symbols it picks happen to be "Diamond Ore Tendrils" and the like.

Does anyone know which Laser Focus attracts which ore to the Laser Drill? Or, at least which one will get me more Certus Quartz?

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft's symbol system is a lot less brutal now that you're not punished with instability simply for having an incomplete symbol collection. Now when you create an incomplete age, it won't penalize you for filling in the blanks unless the random symbols it picks happen to be "Diamond Ore Tendrils" and the like.

Does anyone know which Laser Focus attracts which ore to the Laser Drill? Or, at least which one will get me more Certus Quartz?

The wiki knows the answer to that one: http://ftbwiki.org/Laser_Drill

The white one seems to be the one you want/need.

tsjb

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good alternative to RP2 Project Tables, now that RP2 is gone from Unleashed?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good alternative to RP2 Project Tables, now that RP2 is gone from Unleashed?

Forestry adds the Worktable, which has an internal storage and capability for mass production from storage. It also remembers the last 8 things you've crafted and can immediately bring those recipes back up. You can also lock any of the 8 recipes to permanently stay in the list. Only downside is that it uses "phantom slots" like the Carpenter, which can be very irritating if you're used to the Project Table.

On a sneakier note, the Worktable is able to craft 4 Bronze from 3 Copper and 1 Tin regardless of what other mods are present. ;)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Forestry now adds a Worktable- it's actually better than a project table, in my opinion.
Like RP's table, it has two rows of internal inventory that it draws from when crafting.
Unlike the Project Table, it stores the current recipe in holoslots.
It also stores the eight most recently used recipes on the right-hand side of the GUI. Left-click to write the stored recipe to the crafting grid, right-click commonly-used recipes to lock them in place so they will stay there.

Dartcraft's Clipboard is certainly an excellent option for portable crafting, as it doesn't throw items in the crafting grid on the ground when you close the GUI, and it has extra buttons on its interface for clearing the grid, balancing items between stacks, and rotating items around the grid. However, it doesn't pull items from your inventory as you craft, so it doesn't fit the Project Table bill in my opinion.