Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
And seems like a major kick in the junk for Redstone Conduits. Doesn't it kind of completely defeat the purpose of having an on-demand wiring and storage system if all the machines are just going to constantly drain power anyway?

The point, as far as I gather, is to not have an on-demand system at all. Instead you're supposed to have engines running all the time. The point is that MJ has become too similar to EU, and CovertJaguar wants to make it noticably different again. Valid concern, I'm just not sure this approach is ideal, or will see widespread adoption in mods that can accept Buildcraft energy.

Power loss is disabled on gearboxes since 1.5.

Ah, I see. Good to hear!

Reactions: The_Enemys

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm reading numbers about stills and fermenters tossed around here, that don't match with my memory. The last time I used those was in MC 1.4.7. Back then one fermenter (water, mulch,saplings) could feed ~4.5 stills and each still could keep ~1.2 36HP boilers running, so 1 fermenter + 5 stills = 5 36HP boilers running. One still converted 10 buckets of biomass into 3 buckets of biofuel in 250 seconds, so 1 bucket of biofuel every 83.333 seconds. One 36HP boiler ran 2020.202 ticks (=101.0101 seconds) per bucket of biofuel. 101.0101/83.333 ~ 1.212121.
One post said, that you need several stills per fermenter, another post says, that you need several fermenters per still. There was also said, that you now need multiple stills per 36HP boiler. Can anyone give me the exact numbers of the current versions?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like re-posting things but nobody answered my earlier question - do MFR planters work with forestry saplings? Because I can't get them to work...

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like re-posting things but nobody answered my earlier question - do MFR planters work with forestry saplings? Because I can't get them to work...
You seem to have answered your own question there buddy. No.

I do believe that there is support for forestry though, check to see if you have it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The point, as far as I gather, is to not have an on-demand system at all. Instead you're supposed to have engines running all the time. The point is that MJ has become too similar to EU, and CovertJaguar wants to make it noticably different again. Valid concern, I'm just not sure this approach is ideal, or will see widespread adoption in mods that can accept Buildcraft energy.
I'm curious as to why CovertJaguar, author of Railcraft (with its steam boilers) would change Buildcraft to lean toward constantly-running power generation, such as that provided by steam boilers.

I'm also curious as to why he would post a video showing how to configure golden gates (and code in the necessary triggers) on wooden pipes to run your engines only when power is needed, if the intention is to not turn them off.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I know the BoP saplings now work in MFR planters, but this was recently added. Ghostwood can be fertilized, but fusewood does not. ghostwood is nice because it gives the soul aspect. Good for making golems.

Try updating to the latest versions of MFR.

Also, add in MFR Forestry Trees (MFR-ForestryTrees-1.5.2-1.0.2). This grants the ability for forestry saplings to be used in the MFR machines.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm curious as to why CovertJaguar, author of Railcraft (with its steam boilers) would change Buildcraft to lean toward constantly-running power generation, such as that provided by steam boilers.

I'm also curious as to why he would post a video showing how to configure golden gates (and code in the necessary triggers) on wooden pipes to run your engines only when power is needed, if the intention is to not turn them off.

CJ has been working on Buildcraft (which he can do because it is open source) for a good while now, along with a large number of other people. Sengir, Krapht, cpw, to name just a few of the most active ones. I assume that if his changes make it in, the others are not in disagreement, or they wouldn't let him (you can't simply take over a group project as a single person). I'm not a mod dev working on Buildcraft, so anything more than this would be pure speculation on my part.

As for the new gate triggers - they allow you to shut engines off that are not needed. Meaning: those engines that satisfy the idle drain will likely keep running, those which are only needed to bear the increased workload for machines doing actual work will turn on only when a machine is doing actual work. Useful when you're playing with combustion engines, since you can partially save fuel compared to a boiler that will keep running at full burn no matter what. Considering the largest liquid fuel boilers are only 50% more fuel efficient than combustion engines, not counting heatup cost, in some usage scenarios it might be more fuel efficient to rely on combustion engines instead of liquid fuel boilers.

With solid fuels of course there's still no contest, with boilers up to five times as efficient, and solid fuel engines being inherently wasteful (a full fuel piece burned even if only 1 MJ is being requested, since there's no way to break solid fuel pieces up like liquid buckets can be).

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question: Is there any reason why I can't light my entire base using the gaseous glowstone from thaumic tinkerer? That stuff is a godsend, and I tend to fling it everywhere. I'm only asking because I used to spam wrath lamps until someone said something about invisible light blocks that interfere with plant growth etc., which might explain why I had so much trouble with my tree farm at one point.

So, will an excess of gaseous glowstone cause any problems, either with my machines or with the client itself?

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any info on bowmaking etc in the new Tinker's Construct? Can't make bow string out of flamestring which seems weird as it's a Natura item.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any info on bowmaking etc in the new Tinker's Construct? Can't make bow string out of flamestring which seems weird as it's a Natura item.

I think there are only 2, one made from string and the other one from TC3 enchanted fabric.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question: Is there any reason why I can't light my entire base using the gaseous glowstone from thaumic tinkerer? That stuff is a godsend, and I tend to fling it everywhere. I'm only asking because I used to spam wrath lamps until someone said something about invisible light blocks that interfere with plant growth etc., which might explain why I had so much trouble with my tree farm at one point.

So, will an excess of gaseous glowstone cause any problems, either with my machines or with the client itself?

I don't see why not, perhaps you might get annoyed with the particle effect?
It'd be interesting to find out how those work however, do they place down an invisible block too? >.>

If you start having problems building railcraft tanks or tree farms after placing it down, you know what the problem is likely to be

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why not, perhaps you might get annoyed with the particle effect?
It'd be interesting to find out how those work however, do they place down an invisible block too? >.> If you start having problems building railcraft tanks or tree farms after placing it down, you know what the problem is likely to be

The particle effect is less annoying then getting shot in the butt by a skeleton who's been lurking in my stairwell. I'm looking forward to carpets in 1.6, since they stop mob spawning. Lighting a large room properly (aka no torches on the floor) has always been a colossal pain.

I've already built one railcraft tank into the floor of a room dripping with gaseous glowstone, and experienced no problems. Looks hopeful so far.

Masssattacker

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on the server I played on (A modified Unleashed server) put some Liquid Spring water in a railcraft tank. Now anyone who approaches this tank crashes as the game fails to render liquid spring water (Says there is no id for liquid spring water). Is there a way to fix this by adding an item id for liquid spring water somewhere that is the same as another already existing liquid? And if so, where would the change need to be made?

Anyone going to answer his question?
because i have the same problem.
thanks in advanced for the help
http://pastebin.com/Ubakjhe1
this was my crash

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
this was my crash
Line 7 said:
buildcraft.core.render.LiquidRenderer$LiquidTextureException: Liquid Spring Water has no icon. Please contact the author of the mod the liquid came from.
Sounds like time to send the BoP devs a bug report.

Also, just checking, were you trying to store spring water in a glass Buildcraft tank, rather than an iron or steel Railcraft tank?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on the server I played on (A modified Unleashed server) put some Liquid Spring water in a railcraft tank. Now anyone who approaches this tank crashes as the game fails to render liquid spring water (Says there is no id for liquid spring water). Is there a way to fix this by adding an item id for liquid spring water somewhere that is the same as another already existing liquid? And if so, where would the change need to be made?
this was my crash

EDIT: Make sure to back up the world before doing the following just incase there are unwanted effects

This is not quite as nice of a fix as what you're after, but I believe if you temporarily remove the mod that adds liquid spring water this will empty the tank when the server is started again, and then you can add it back in and there won't be any liquid spring water in your tanks any more

However, this isn't an optimal fix as it will also remove any world gen and/or other blocks added by this mod.. Otherwise for the ID's somebody else would have to answer, I'm not sure how you'd reverse the item Id's to turn the liquid into another. I'm not even sure it's possible.

Crowzone

Jul 29, 2019
this was my crash

We figured out an in game solution - we stood at the extreme edge of where we could safely stand without causing a crash, and sent mining turtles towards the offending blocks, until one of them hit (we missed a few times) and destroyed the tank.

Crude but effective.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
We figured out an in game solution - we stood at the extreme edge of where we could safely stand without causing a crash, and sent mining turtles towards the offending blocks, until one of them hit (we missed a few times) and destroyed the tank.

Crude but effective.
Also quite clever! I applaud your technique.