Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Don't care about the not playing bit and having it stop. But if I wana pump lava from the nether into a tank in the over world, can a chunk loader in ssp keep said nether chunbks loaded while I'm in the over world , and have one in the overworld so it will work while I'm off in god knows where? Will they run in ssp? Or lan? or not at all unless I run a server?
If you run it as lan, one player will still have to be constantly afk, and doing that is, as somebody once said, a skill, not a convenience. So if you're doing something like that, you might as well not LAN and just leave the world open somewhere.
And yes, a chunkloader in the nether would keep the chunks loaded in SSP/LAN.

A server would solve your time problem though.

Now I have a question of my own, what's the difference between the third-party map forum and the map forum?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Don't care about the not playing bit and having it stop. But if I wana pump lava from the nether into a tank in the over world, can a chunk loader in ssp keep said nether chunbks loaded while I'm in the over world , and have one in the overworld so it will work while I'm off in god knows where? Will they run in ssp? Or lan? or not at all unless I run a server?
Since Minecraft 1.3 came out, the game actually runs an internal server in singleplayer. This internal server, like any multiplayer server, can keep multiple different dimensions loaded and running at the same time- although, without mod chunkloaders, this feature is useless in singleplayer.

Placing a chunkloader in the Nether by your pumps will indeed keep chunks in the Nether loaded so your pump will run. There's no problem there.

Also, if you have ExtraUtils installed, you may want to use the Ender-Thermic Pump instead of a regular Buildcraft pump. You have to place it immediately above the level of the lava sea (although it dosen't have to be over lava- it works just fine on the shore) and supply MJ, but it both chunkloads and instantly replaces collected lava with smooth stone, without causing a block update- so you need not worry about either chunkloading or lag from flowing lava blocks.

As a final note (if you didn't already know), both endertanks and Tesseracts (from Thermal Expansion) work across dimensions.

Opened up the Unleashed pack and looked up all the variants of Quarried Stone in NEI. There is no such thing as "FILLED" quarried stone.
There are, however, FITTED versions of Railcraft's decorative blocks, which have the same appearance as stone bricks in various colors. To get these, I believe you just put one quarried stone in the crafting grid to get another version of it, and repeat until you get what you're looking for.

Also, if you don't like NEI, try CraftGuide. I don't think GraftGuide and its plugins (of which there are a few) support as many mod machines as NEI, NEI Plugins, and NEI Addons combined do, but don't quote me on it.

Apparently, there are a few mods (Railcraft comes to mind) that support Craftguide by default, but not NEI.
There are also some mods (GregTech for one) that support NEI, but not Craftguide. So take your pick. And don't ask us about crafting recipes.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
There are, however, FITTED versions of Railcraft's decorative blocks, which have the same appearance as stone bricks in various colors. To get these, I believe you just put one quarried stone in the crafting grid to get another version of it, and repeat until you get what you're looking for..

You have to smelt the Quarried Stone to get Quarried Stone Block, which then goes into the crafting grid, in order to get Fitted Stone.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
My God, I am going CRAZY trying to find out how to make a waypoint in the new Direwolf 20 1.5 pack. Please help!
The controls for in the unleashed pack are - for a waypoint and = for the menu and thus keybinds
Not sure about Direwolf 20, but I hope that helps

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Hopefully a very simple question...

For farming bees, i.e. maximising comb and specialty product production, I assume I always want the longest possible lifespan?

Is there any reason this would be different?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hopefully a very simple question...
For farming bees, i.e. maximising comb and specialty product production, I assume I always want the longest possible lifespan?
I suppose so, but I haven't done anything about lifespan on my bees at all. My production bees are all set to 1x fertility and are automated with pipes and so lifespan makes minimal difference to their production. I guess they spend slightly more less time being piped out and back in again if they have a long lifespan. But, a shorter lifespan means that if you do use one of those bees to breed something else, then the breeding will happen more quickly. So there is a small up side to long lifespan, and a small potential down side. Take your pick - I chose not to worry about lifespan at all.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose so, but I haven't done anything about lifespan on my bees at all. My production bees are all set to 1x fertility and are automated with pipes and so lifespan makes minimal difference to their production. I guess they spend slightly more less time being piped out and back in again if they have a long lifespan. But, a shorter lifespan means that if you do use one of those bees to breed something else, then the breeding will happen more quickly. So there is a small up side to long lifespan, and a small potential down side. Take your pick - I chose not to worry about lifespan at all.

Thanks for the swift reply, but I think what I should have asked is how combs and specialty products work.

If it is per tick of life then I guess it doesnt matter, but if it is after a set amount of time (Which is what I understood) then I thought longer was better.

My fear was that if a product spawns every 27.5 seconds, and my bee lives for 2 minutes that will allow for 4 combs + spare 10 seconds. Whathappens to this time? Is it wasted?

Or am I completely wrong in my understanding?[DOUBLEPOST=1374834474][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevermind, I have answered my own question with some information I didnt see before...

Although items spawn every 27.5 seconds... that is the time of one cycle, so it doesnt matter how long the bee lives because it always completed it's set number of cycles.

But thanks for the reply.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
If you run it as lan, one player will still have to be constantly afk, and doing that is, as somebody once said, a skill, not a convenience. So if you're doing something like that, you might as well not LAN and just leave the world open somewhere.
And yes, a chunkloader in the nether would keep the chunks loaded in SSP/LAN.

A server would solve your time problem though.

Now I have a question of my own, what's the difference between the third-party map forum and the map forum?

third party maps are the modpacks that other members other than FTB team has made and the map forum is for adventure maps.

tsjb

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! When playing unleashed you get different types of ingots depending on whether you smelt them normally or auto-smelt them with a TC pickaxe. For instance, smelting "Copper Dust" in a furnace gives a copper ingot with an item ID of of 30248, whereas breaking a copper ore block with an auto-smelting pick gives a copper ingot with an item ID of 20267:64.

Is there a way to make both ways give the same ingot? I don't mind which type they are as long as they are both the same.

Thanks!

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! When playing unleashed you get different types of ingots depending on whether you smelt them normally or auto-smelt them with a TC pickaxe. For instance, smelting "Copper Dust" in a furnace gives a copper ingot with an item ID of of 30248, whereas breaking a copper ore block with an auto-smelting pick gives a copper ingot with an item ID of 20267:64.

Is there a way to make both ways give the same ingot? I don't mind which type they are as long as they are both the same.

Thanks!
Try the Forge Lexicon.
I think MFR also has something like this, with a weird name (I think it's called the "unicoder" but I'm probably mistaken).

It would probably be easier to just use the same system to automatically process all of your ores, or put up with having several types of ingot.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
What options are there to change the speed of items passing through pipes?

Id like 6 pipes in a line, but each of them at different speeds, just for aesthetics. Is there a way to slowly meter out items into a pipe other than a Timer and a sorting machine? ive read timers create lag and the constant 'tick tick' is maddening.

So basically id like to have one pipe running at say... the speed that a newly started redstone engine pumps out of a wooden pipe, then another at medium speed, and another at full speed. Then each pipe also SEND the items at different speeds too. I was thinking that I would add more gold pipes to each line, but the items slow down over time with them. Im looking to have items move 50 blocks or so along a pipe line at a set speed, at set intervals.

Any ideas?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What options are there to change the speed of items passing through pipes?

Id like 6 pipes in a line, but each of them at different speeds, just for aesthetics. Is there a way to slowly meter out items into a pipe other than a Timer and a sorting machine? ive read timers create lag and the constant 'tick tick' is maddening.

So basically id like to have one pipe running at say... the speed that a newly started redstone engine pumps out of a wooden pipe, then another at medium speed, and another at full speed. Then each pipe also SEND the items at different speeds too. I was thinking that I would add more gold pipes to each line, but the items slow down over time with them. Im looking to have items move 50 blocks or so along a pipe line at a set speed, at set intervals.

Any ideas?

You could probably have something like golden pipe, powered golden pipe, 2 golds, but it would take experimentation. My suggestion would be to limit how much you can see so that the items can resume traversing at speeds that are of no importance. Unless all of your piping is visible, in which case I probably can't help you.

DrRedstoneCreep

Jul 29, 2019
I was just making my farms and was wondering:
Will this keep mobs from getting out when the gate is open?
Capture.PNG

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Try the Forge Lexicon.
I think MFR also has something like this, with a weird name (I think it's called the "unicoder" but I'm probably mistaken).

It would probably be easier to just use the same system to automatically process all of your ores, or put up with having several types of ingot.
"Unifier" is the name of the MFR block; I've heard that GregTech's autocrafter also has a unification function.

I was just making my farms and was wondering:
Will this keep mobs from getting out when the gate is open?
View attachment 6398
Probably not. I, personally, like storing mobs in 3 block deep pits, and using a "ladder" consisting of two trapdoors stacked on top of each other to get in and out.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
how do you get it to add items when you press the ?, while you are in a crafting table?

I tried shift and pressing the ? and all I get is the ghost image.

jsbed99

Jul 29, 2019
how do you get it to add items when you press the ?, while you are in a crafting table?

I tried shift and pressing the ? and all I get is the ghost image.

You need to have the needed items in your inventory, then Shift + click and it will create the item.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i am using the beta unleashed version. I am making a golden lasso. I have 4 gold ingot and a ender pearl and 4 string in my inventory.
I shift click the ? and it still on showing me the ghost items. Is the something in option i need to change.