[1.7.10][Twitch/Curse/FTB] InfiTech 2u: Fear the Night .8 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen this error come up a couple of time in the past year and half. The first time and second time was after an update of vanilla InfiTech 2 (one was from a corrupt config). The following time was because I admin out a member of a team and crashed while I was doing it.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen this error come up a couple of time in the past year and half. The first time and second time was after an update of vanilla InfiTech 2 (one was from a corrupt config). The following time was because I admin out a member of a team and crashed while I was doing it.

I haven't done either of those. the server had been shut down (cleanly) twice before the problem occurred, although I don't know if I had done any achievements before the first shutdown. There has only ever been me on the server, no updates (started on most recent version), and I have not used admin commands.

I have not shut down the server since I reset the achievements, but I will try tonight and see if the problem happens again.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Is there something in this pack that randomly causes explosions underground?

I regularly hear random explosions nowhere near me, and every time I go into my mining tunnels after a few hours there are new holes blown in it now.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Is there something in this pack that randomly causes explosions underground?

I regularly hear random explosions nowhere near me, and every time I go into my mining tunnels after a few hours there are new holes blown in it now.

Maybe Ender Minny fighting creepers?

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe Ender Minny fighting creepers?

Yeah, maybe. I haven't seen any enter minnies but they could be doing it.

My two ideas were that it was some mobs fighting, or it could have been a type of mob that attacks torches or something.

I didn't think it could be meteorites or anything like that as it is all happening underground.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, maybe. I haven't seen any enter minnies but they could be doing it.

My two ideas were that it was some mobs fighting, or it could have been a type of mob that attacks torches or something.

I didn't think it could be meteorites or anything like that as it is all happening underground.
I know some flying kycanites mobs explode likes creeper by dropping to the ground but i've never seen those undergrounds..so probably as said above aome mobs fighting each other.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
the epion will spawn in caves which can explode when they hit the ground. Odds are its something fighting a creeper though.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
They fall straight down, but id imagine as soon as they hit a solid block during their free fall they would explode

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so the falling down trigger the detonation. Not the block contact alone.

In my base it sounds like I'm under siege, there is an explosion that shakes the brickwork every 5 -10 minutes or so, sometimes multiple in a minute.

I think it may be creepers exploding causing it. I think I saw creeper icons disappearing on the minimap timed with when I heard the explosions, but I can't be sure. I also didn't see a nearby mob to have set them off. (I don't have an implosion compressor or anything like that, so I'm pretty sure it isn't me...). Are there just more mobs in this pack, or are there more creeper specifically? I seem to see a lot more of them than usual.

I have tried to find the nearby cave they might be in, but have not had luck. I would have thought that it would have to be huge after hundreds of explosions by now.

Is there any logging or debugging I can turn on to find the source of a noise or explosion event?

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that a good first step to troubleshoot would be to move to another biome. See if it happens there aswell. Different biomes spawn different monster in some cases.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
something tells me that theres a dungeon and/or creeper spawner under your base if the explosions are that frequent

Last edited:

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
lol, i forgot about Creper spawner. That's something that doesn't usually happen in Vanilla MC if i'm not mistaken but with Lycanite's mobs, such spawner are a thing XD...And for those unfamiliar with it, Lycanite bring spawner from about any mobs you can think of unless i'm mistaken.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
I managed to find the cave where the explosions are coming from, and it was indeed blown to pieces. There were a fair few creepers, but not so many to make me think that there could be a spawner. I didn't have time to search through the cave enough to be sure, as the whole thing is massive and quite difficult to navigate. The creeper spawns could just be a result of the large unlit area.

I think the big vespid wasp things might be what is causing the fighting, as I have seen them attacking enemies quite a bit.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, is lava power crazy OP in the LV era? I spent 10 minutes filling a lava drum in the overworld and that lasted me for like a week of gameplay putting it through 1 HP Lava boiler and a steam turbine. You get over 25M EU from a drum, and the lava boiler can be fully automated with just one fluid conduit. This makes all other forms of power generation completely obsolete at that level of gameplay. I'm having a hard time seeing how anything could compete with that, even at higher tiers. The other low tier charcoal and solar boilers were nerfed so that automation was impossible either via calcification or ash buildup, should the HP lava boiler have a similar mechanic?

Other than for the fun of it, is there actually a point to using oil? It looks like you can get 200k EU from a bucket of oil after processing, but getting over 100k EU from a lava bucket without doing anything at all seems to outweigh that energy density advantage.

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, is lava power crazy OP in the LV era? I spent 10 minutes filling a lava drum in the overworld and that lasted me for like a week of gameplay putting it through 1 HP Lava boiler and a steam turbine. You get over 25M EU from a drum, and the lava boiler can be fully automated with just one fluid conduit. This makes all other forms of power generation completely obsolete at that level of gameplay. I'm having a hard time seeing how anything could compete with that, even at higher tiers. The other low tier charcoal and solar boilers were nerfed so that automation was impossible either via calcification or ash buildup, should the HP lava boiler have a similar mechanic?

Other than for the fun of it, is there actually a point to using oil? It looks like you can get 200k EU from a bucket of oil after processing, but getting over 100k EU from a lava bucket without doing anything at all seems to outweigh that energy density advantage.
There is a ton of uses for oil when you process it (its required to progress into later tiers as well). High Octane fuel came be made from it as well which can be burned in a large diesel boiler for IV level power. Lower levels of oil processing to get different types of fuel are quite useful as well.

Glad you figured out your explosions. You are probably dead on with the vispids, many lycanite mobs are aggressive to other mobs

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
There is a ton of uses for oil when you process it (its required to progress into later tiers as well). High Octane fuel came be made from it as well which can be burned in a large diesel boiler for IV level power. Lower levels of oil processing to get different types of fuel are quite useful as well.

Yep, I absolutely see that oil is required to produce many items, and so oil is useful as a resource just like ores, but in terms of power generation until a long way into the tech tree it seems that lava power is just vastly simpler and more effective than any other form of power generation.

I'm investigating modifying the lava boiler to have a calcification or byproduct accumulation problem like the solar boiler or the small bronze/HP boilers so spamming them isn't the clearly optimal powergen from LV -> HV. (and also because I hate fun)