Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Witches being so weak and easy to kill, but at the same time ALWAYS using that damn poison potion attack as a opener before you can respond. And of course it is long and potent enough to kill you if you don't have protection against it yet...

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Witches being so weak and easy to kill, but at the same time ALWAYS using that damn poison potion attack as a opener before you can respond. And of course it is long and potent enough to kill you if you don't have protection against it yet...
Useful knowledge: Unless you're on hard difficulty, poison won't kill you. So just retreat to cover where nothing can take away your remaining half-heart and eat some food for the natural regen.

Also, yeah. I don't think I've ever felt threatened by a witch, only mildly annoyed.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You only need to damage them a bit from afar, if they're not full health they will drink a health potion and during that time you can get into melee

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
When I've come across witches, it's been up close, and I just sword them.

But then, I've never fought more than one at a time.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Useful knowledge: Unless you're on hard difficulty, poison won't kill you.
Hmm I was under that impression too, but died earlier on Normal while affected by poison(I assumed it was) and flying back to my base(died up in the air and showered all my items everywhere, miles from any mobs that could have done the final blow).

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure that, at least in Vanilla, poison cannot kill you on any difficulty (you can never drop below half a heart). It definitely leaves you open to die from any other source of damage, however minor, though (such as being hit by any mob, falling by 4 blocks, starvation, or instant damage potions). Only the wither effect can actually kill you.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'm pretty sure that, at least in Vanilla, poison cannot kill you on any difficulty (you can never drop below half a heart). It definitely leaves you open to die from any other source of damage, however minor, though (such as being hit by any mob, falling by 4 blocks, starvation, or instant damage potions). Only the wither effect can actually kill you.
Just tested it with Poison and it seems it is like it should be: It does not kill you. So either something else killed me without I noticed or, more likely, I derped with the Hang glider and actually hit the rooftop instead of dying above it :p

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fairly certain that on hard it does kill you.

[After checking wiki]
Huh. There's nothing there about kill you on hard. I guess I'm wrong. :p

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
What really irks me right now is watching "professional" let's players like DW20 and their gaming computers having roughly the same garbage fps as I do.

Why do I even try to play this game anymore? If people with their nice gaming computers have issues running it, then why even try with a crap computer?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So long as you've got a good CPU (with good per-core performance) and a decent amount of RAM, Minecraft doesn't chug too hard. My laptop is a refurbished $500 cheapy HP thing, and it runs Infinity and other large modpacks with only a few hiccups. Thing is, a lot of modern gaming rigs focus more on extra cores (because properly optimized games run with proper multithreading), and the frequency (GHz) is kind of a dump stat, to a degree. Minecraft runs mostly on the CPU, so having a CPU with a high clock frequency is a must to get it to perform reasonably well.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That clearing out lots of snow blocks with a fast shovel keeps bugging out my client vs server aspect of my game, one thinking the block is removed, the other that it is still there... Yay suffocating/stuck in phantom blocks...

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What really irks me right now is watching "professional" let's players like DW20 and their gaming computers having roughly the same garbage fps as I do.

Why do I even try to play this game anymore? If people with their nice gaming computers have issues running it, then why even try with a crap computer?
Well keep in mind that capturing the screen and compressing the video also needs computing power. Although yeah, the fact that Minecraft isn't very much multithreaded probably diminishes that.

Reactions: RedBoss

AuricPolaris

Jul 29, 2019
Irks me when mods that do energy conversion between EU and RF have floating point errors and so power constantly drains even when the energy targets are full (requires an on/off switch, still nice to convert though). Looking at you Immersive Engineering. >.>

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
No-it-alls. Watching Mumbo Jumbo, Direwolf20, or many others put together these absolutely awesome builds I can only hope I might be able to figure out how to copy. More seriously jealous of their knowledge of the intricacies of their area of expertise actually. I would love to be that knowledgeable about something. I've always tended to learn things easily and to a higher level of familiarity then those I associate with. The abilities of many of the other Minecraft players though just blow my mind. No freaking way am I going to be able to figure this stuff out. Though they do inspire me to improve my capabilities in those areas a little more.

Even watching some of the stuff decorative builders like xAmathystQueenx puts together amazes me. That they can take a bunch of blocks with 16bit textures and make something so beautiful out of them is the most awesome thing to me. I have trouble just keeping away from giant block cobble buildings.

Gotta love spellcheck being built into so many things. I am having to switch out words for easier to spell version a lot less often. Doesn't mean I use them correctly. At least I am able to use those big complex words now. Kinda weird though the things that make it in their. Like "google", yet not "Minecraft". I have seen worse examples. Just can't remember them.
The witches don't worry me. Their familiars worry me. If I see a witch I might kill it. If I see a cat or two beside it I stay well away from it. Those cats slaughter me on a regular basis.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
these absolutely awesome builds I can only hope I might be able to figure out how to copy. More seriously jealous of their knowledge of the intricacies of their area of expertise actually. I would love to be that knowledgeable about something. I've always tended to learn things easily and to a higher level of familiarity then those I associate with
Practice, practice, and practice.
Played MC for over a year before I made something interesting enough to perk people's attention.

Like "google", yet not "Minecraft". I have seen worse examples. Just can't remember them.

Miss-typed as 'vray'- was given suggested spelling 'Betelgeuse' :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
** ALL THE MODS THAT ADD STUFF TO LOOT TABLES WITHOUT INCREASING THE SIZE OF THE LOOT CHESTS **

Sorry for the yelling. But seriously -- many mods add stuff to the loot chest tables, but do not make the chests contain more loot! So sure, there's a bigger pool to draw loot from, but now you get any given loot item much much less.