Request Suggest mods for creation here

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Ok so I was thinking... I would love a block that when powered it changes the way gravity works... so like it could have modes where you reverse gravity and stand on the ceiling. Or a spherical range where it is always your ceiling or always your floor. When you build around it, the orientation of you and the blocks you place is based on where it is in relation to this block. It would either be difficult to craft requiring nether stars or multiple craft stages. Or it could require power though I think the fluctuating in and out of this state as power needs/supply wax and wane would be a huge strain on the system. I think this would be awesome. Oh and it could be up gradable so if you put upgrades into it, it increases the range of it. sigh I wish I could code, I would so make this a thing. #morrow
There's a mod that does that, I think it's called starminer.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
There's a mod that does that, I think it's called starminer.
Correct. It requires a bit of a set-up to get the materials for a gravity controller (which involves getting launched into the skies on a squid,) but I'm not sure you would want to leave the lovely low-orbit area.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
An easier way to do thaumcraft minetweaker with the thauminomicon, I was thinking kind of like the HQM editing interface. Because I am having trouble making tabs and getting everything positioned right

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
A 1.7.10 mod that either removes the Creative search tab or keeps it from overloading the CPU. This has happened to me in several 1.7.10 packs.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
You can grab stuff out of the creative menu.
NEI does not have an easy way to toggle recipe mode and cheat mode.
(Didn't it used to use "r" and "c" for that?)

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
Why shouldnt you use ovet half your ram when allocating it? And what is permgen plus how much should I use

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Why shouldnt you use ovet half your ram when allocating it? And what is permgen plus how much should I use
That depends on how much ram you have, but a good number for Minecraft is 4GB, and for large modpacks or video streaming/recording 8GB is recommended. I only have 2GB of RAM on my whole computer, so I don't have the memory for super-large modpacks, nevermind the CPU or graphics power. If you use over half your RAM with less than a certain amount available, your computer won't have room for its own OS and any web browser or other apps you might also have open. High memory usage leads to lots of swap file usage, which is SUPER EXTRA BAD for performance, because the usual design for PCs is to put disk data on the same bus as stuff headed between RAM and the CPU. So anything that makes your disk work hard will slow down your computer, and Windows is notorious for constantly playing with its swap file (I'm not sure about Apple OSes).

Permgen is basically reserved memory for things Java wants to keep around for a long period of time, like the blocks and items your Minecraft instance has available to use, or certain information about your world/dimension. In Java 8, Permgen is no longer a thing, as the garbage collector has changed to not need it. (This caused errors with some stuff in Minecraft and some Minecraft launchers in early versions of Java 8, but in recent versions there is no problem and it should be safe to upgrade.) Permgen is smaller than general allocated memory, and should always be allocated in multiples of of 4KB (due to how most computers do memory paging). The recommended amount for most small to medium modpacks is 80 - 96 KB; but a large or item-heavy modpack, or a high-res resource pack, may need much larger amounts, 128 or 256KB (maybe even 1024KB, which is 1GB, for something like FTB Infinity). If you have to give Permgen more than about 1/4 of the size of your main allocated amount, you're using too much modpack for your computer because permgen is not garbage collected regularly and it'll clog everything up.

Most out of memory errors for Java when running Minecraft are too little Permgen space, so adjust that first if you're getting a memory-related crash. Also, there is a problem in Minecraft where certain information is not properly cleaned up when traveling between dimensions (it's apparently an issue relating to how Java uses memory for certain game functions). So if you're jumping back and forth a lot, Minecraft is going to want more and more memory until it starts to run out. Restarting Minecraft will clean this up. I am not sure if Java 8 reduces or fixes this problem, so assume it's there no matter what version of Java you have.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Permgen is basically reserved memory for things Java wants to keep around for a long period of time, like the blocks and items your Minecraft instance has available to use, or certain information about your world/dimension.
Wrong, it's for classes. Long-lived objects go in the tenured generation (part of the main heap).

The recommended amount for most small to medium modpacks is 80 - 96 KB; but a large or item-heavy modpack, or a high-res resource pack, may need much larger amounts, 128 or 256KB (maybe even 1024KB, which is 1GB, for something like FTB Infinity).
That should be MB, not kB. Also, the part about multiples of 4kB is irrelevant, since 1MB is a multiple of 4kB. (Also, pedantically, the k in kB is lowercase).

Most out of memory errors for Java when running Minecraft are too little Permgen space, so adjust that first if you're getting a memory-related crash.
No, only do that if the error mentions permgen ("java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Permgen space"). Otherwise you're wasting effort.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I find the best way to deal with permgen is to set a large maxpermgen value. Then, Java will adjust it as needed, without wasting.

The "only use half your memory" is a very bad rule of thumb. The scale for a machine with 1-2 GB of ram is not the same as a machine with 16 GB of ram. Determine what your system needs for non-java stuff. Then determine what minecraft actually needs.

And: Don't guess. Actually measure. Actually profile. Ask java to tell you what the size of the memory pools are. Single player worlds need the most tenured space (and more if they are open to lan). Servers need less, and clients need even less. (Although, to be fair, whether the server needs more, or the client, depends on the modpack. Vanilla servers only need about 150-200 MB tenured, and vanilla clients need more than that, both figures in my own testing).

If you have spare CPU (cores), and are on J6/J7, switching to CMS collection instead of throughput collection (default) will seriously improve performance. G1GC (I think that's the default in J8), is a beast I was never able to tame -- it gobbles up to my max allocated memory almost immediately, making the whole idea of "This program has to co-exist with others, but in the worst case you can use X" a failure -- it uses X all the time, and won't co-exist with others.

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on how much ram you have, but a good number for Minecraft is 4GB, and for large modpacks or video streaming/recording 8GB is recommended. I only have 2GB of RAM on my whole computer, so I don't have the memory for super-large modpacks, nevermind the CPU or graphics power. If you use over half your RAM with less than a certain amount available, your computer won't have room for its own OS and any web browser or other apps you might also have open. High memory usage leads to lots of swap file usage, which is SUPER EXTRA BAD for performance, because the usual design for PCs is to put disk data on the same bus as stuff headed between RAM and the CPU. So anything that makes your disk work hard will slow down your computer, and Windows is notorious for constantly playing with its swap file (I'm not sure about Apple OSes).

Permgen is basically reserved memory for things Java wants to keep around for a long period of time, like the blocks and items your Minecraft instance has available to use, or certain information about your world/dimension. In Java 8, Permgen is no longer a thing, as the garbage collector has changed to not need it. (This caused errors with some stuff in Minecraft and some Minecraft launchers in early versions of Java 8, but in recent versions there is no problem and it should be safe to upgrade.) Permgen is smaller than general allocated memory, and should always be allocated in multiples of of 4KB (due to how most computers do memory paging). The recommended amount for most small to medium modpacks is 80 - 96 KB; but a large or item-heavy modpack, or a high-res resource pack, may need much larger amounts, 128 or 256KB (maybe even 1024KB, which is 1GB, for something like FTB Infinity). If you have to give Permgen more than about 1/4 of the size of your main allocated amount, you're using too much modpack for your computer because permgen is not garbage collected regularly and it'll clog everything up.

Most out of memory errors for Java when running Minecraft are too little Permgen space, so adjust that first if you're getting a memory-related crash. Also, there is a problem in Minecraft where certain information is not properly cleaned up when traveling between dimensions (it's apparently an issue relating to how Java uses memory for certain game functions). So if you're jumping back and forth a lot, Minecraft is going to want more and more memory until it starts to run out. Restarting Minecraft will clean this up. I am not sure if Java 8 reduces or fixes this problem, so assume it's there no matter what version of Java you have.
Lets say I am running Minecraft and that's it. I have two computers set up side by side and i use them both, one for playing one for other things. My computer i play on has 8gb ram, what should i allocate? It runs Windows 8 OS.

No idea why this posted in this forum o_O?

Last edited:

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Lets say I am running Minecraft and that's it. I have two computers set up side by side and i use them both, one for playing one for other things. My computer i play on has 8gb ram, what should i allocate? It runs Windows 8 OS.
I usually say about 1/2 but if you really need it then you could use 6GB if you really need too. If you are streaming or recording or have heavier items running in the background use just 4. I have a 4 GB and I use 2 GB and 1/2 specifically for terrain gen for my modpack which I actually designed to be lighter on CPU and RAM usage. And rendering is rough but I play fine once I get started.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I want the tab removed not for convenience or cheating or whatever just because in every 1.7.10 modpack it crashes and even blew out my friends processor.
That sounds to me like a hardware problem, NOT a software problem. "Blew out a processor" is not even a thing software can do. Don't blame hardware failures on apps, blame them on bad OS or bad drivers. Your friend probably had an overheating problem, which is a physical hardware thing that can be prevented and corrected with proper installation and maintenance of one's hardware (or replacing the faulty components).

Reactions: immibis

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds to me like a hardware problem, NOT a software problem. "Blew out a processor" is not even a thing software can do. Don't blame hardware failures on apps, blame them on bad OS or bad drivers. Your friend probably had an overheating problem, which is a physical hardware thing that can be prevented and corrected with proper installation and maintenance of one's hardware (or replacing the faulty components).
Calm down. And you can overload your CPU and overwork your processor.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you've done some serious tampering with your hardware, the worst thing that should be able to happen is that it overheats, detects that it's overheating and turns off. (And normally not even that - it will deliberately slow down to make less heat, not turn off entirely)

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you've done some serious tampering with your hardware, the worst thing that should be able to happen is that it overheats, detects that it's overheating and turns off. (And normally not even that - it will deliberately slow down to make less heat, not turn off entirely)
Either way it didn't happen when programs were light on CPU usage.
PS(Not just you) how about this thread actually helps people instead of chewing them out. I mean if no one knows of a mod or no one is gonna make one that's fine but this thread isn't for tearing people down or telling people about a mod that "Almost" does something that someone wants.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
I wasn't aware I was excited or upset. And yes, I know that you can overload your CPU and cause a modern computer to reduce clock speed to reduce heat generation; my own computer does that all the time if I don't take care with it.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
The concept outlined below is one I've had kicking around for some time but do not have the skill set to create. It would seem like a great companion to TC, TE, Extra Utilites or JABBA and would use items from some or all of those mods for recipes. It is merely a concept and if someone took the time to create it I would have no problem with my idea being modified since I'm aware that there's mechanics of the actual coding or interaction that may prevent doing things a certain way, or that my ideas may just be unrealistic or stupid.:D Costs are approximate.

A simple early game crafting/storage mod of appropriate cost. Something with an interface that connects the inventories of chest slots like the TC crafting table, except it connects to multiple inventories using upgrade/expansion blocks.

The basic first tier mod interface/block(s) would initially be limited to a double vanilla chest. Cost would be wood, stone and iron.

A tier 2 network upgrade would allow connecting the cumulative inventories of 8 vanilla chests and a vanilla furnace upgrade option. Furnace would take up one vanilla chest slot in the network. Furnace slot would have a hopper upgrade with the same number of slots as a vanilla hopper to feed it and output configured to inventory slots as outlined below. Cost would be wood, stone, iron, copper, and redstone. It would require a small amount of RF such as that supplied by a survivalist generator, which would be part of the tier 2 network upgrade recipe, with a fuel slot in the interface also up-gradable with a hopper upgrade.

The interface would have tabs for each chest or inventory connected to it that could be labeled, and the selected tab would be the one showing in the interface next to the crafting grid. The tabs would be layered horizontally in typical fashion by number with the current selected tab showing its name in order to fit the 8 tabs.

Configuration of network would use a "connecting" block/duct/pipe system that allows expansion with appropriate cost. Recipe would use duct/pipe from TE or Extra Utilies and servos etc.

It would have tier 3 expansion/upgrade blocks that allow an increase in the number of chests. Each upgrade would be limited to the same number of cumulative slots as the basic mod. The initial expansion interface would be configured with main tabs correlating to the number of upgrades, then sub-tabs based on the basic 8 vanilla chest configuration of the basic mod. Each additional expansion would become a main tab with the 8 cumulative vanilla chest slots having a sub heading tab. Cost would be iron, copper, gold, redstone and diamond.

It would have an upgrade that connects to barrels with each barrel having a tab and each upgrade limited to 8 barrels. Each upgrade would become a main tab, with sub tabs for each barrel.

It would have a sorting upgrade based on item number. Sorting would default to a chest slot already occupied by the item, then overflow to an empty slot in the same inventory, then to any available slot in any inventory. Barrel upgrades could be configured to accept overflow of more than one stack from the chest sorting.

Recipes would include items from other mods such as servos, gears, ducts, etc.