What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
That was the original idea, but it runs into the problem of either action at a distance - which the Borer's mining pipes were created to avoid - or a very cartoonish "expanding drill", neither of which is acceptable.
Just make the actual bore head magically come loose from the actual machine and just float forwards

Call it psy-quantum-thermal physics or something.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So i'm aiming towards building a fission reactor in my basement. As this is going to be my main power supply i'm trying to be all efficient and build as few other engines as possible on the way through. Extraneous things that aren't going to be necessary lategame, waste of resources and all that.

So, in my rush towards reactorcraft toys I realised I will need a pulse jet furnace (and hence a fractionation unit). With that in mind, i'm looking for the simplest way to generate 130kW and 130krad/s. My first guess is the microturbine, but that also needs jet fuel, so i'll need another set of engines to run the fractionation unit first.

*ponders*

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
So i'm aiming towards building a fission reactor in my basement. As this is going to be my main power supply i'm trying to be all efficient and build as few other engines as possible on the way through. Extraneous things that aren't going to be necessary lategame, waste of resources and all that.

So, in my rush towards reactorcraft toys I realised I will need a pulse jet furnace (and hence a fractionation unit). With that in mind, i'm looking for the simplest way to generate 130kW and 130krad/s. My first guess is the microturbine, but that also needs jet fuel, so i'll need another set of engines to run the fractionation unit first.

*ponders*

Performance engine on 8:1 gears will run a thingy doodler that makes jet fuel

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Performance engine on 8:1 gears will run a thingy doodler that makes jet fuel

Good point. But then i'll need other engines to make gasoline.

In the end I just went route 1 and dun this:

2014-07-13_20.52.46.png
4 Steam engines into a 16:1 speed gearbox runs my fractionator, 4 more run my grinder (slowly), one steam engine each for my two fermenters, microturbine, pulse jet furnace.

Now I have enough blast glass to make uranium processors :D

Reactions: Padfoote

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

*ponders*
I recommend using steam engines to initialize production, then switch to microturbines. Have lots of storage if you do so though, since if you run your fractionizer with a microturbine you'll be counting your jet fuel production in kilobuckets per minute. Also, one set of ingredients (one stack each) will give you approximately 350 buckets of jet fuel.

And you will need quite a bit more jet fuel for the uranium enrichment process, unless you're building an HTGR.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend using steam engines to initialize production, then switch to microturbines. Have lots of storage if you do so though, since if you run your fractionizer with a microturbine you'll be counting your jet fuel production in kilobuckets per minute. Also, one set of ingredients (one stack each) will give you approximately 350 buckets of jet fuel.

And you will need quite a bit more jet fuel for the uranium enrichment process, unless you're building an HTGR.

You are better off with an htgr. You will have enough extra power to make tons of stuff other then run the processing ;)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, my initial batch of fuel just used stuff I had to hand, i'm working on getting my usual bizarre array of magical crops prepared to make the process renewable now.

One minor annoyance is that reactorcraft machines don't have the torque/speed requirements in their mouseover text like rotarycraft ones, so I actually had to craft the handbook to work out how much power to feed the isotope centrifuge.

Real men don't read the manual, real men do it themselves :sadface:

In any case, that's another microturbine and gearbox i'll need just to run that.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Good point. But then i'll need other engines to make gasoline.

In the end I just went route 1 and dun this:

View attachment 11924
4 Steam engines into a 16:1 speed gearbox runs my fractionator, 4 more run my grinder (slowly), one steam engine each for my two fermenters, microturbine, pulse jet furnace.

Now I have enough blast glass to make uranium processors :D
Wait a minute...how fast does your fractionator run on those 4 engines?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to upgrade the magnetostatic and pneumatic engines? I'd enjoy getting beyond Tier 0.

Last edited:

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Wait a minute...how fast does your fractionator run on those 4 engines?

Oh, by the way, does anyone know how to upgrade the magnetostatic and pneumatic engines? I'd enjoy getting beyond Tier 0.
Craft the upgrade and shift-rightclick it onto the engine in the world.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Well I finally bit the bullet and installed Rotarycraft to my personal modpack. I was skeptical of it at first, it just looked to me like the most anal retentive tech mod ever. But you cant frequent these forums and not hear about how much fun everyone is having with it.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Well I finally bit the bullet and installed Rotarycraft to my personal modpack. I was skeptical of it at first, it just looked to me like the most anal retentive tech mod ever. But you cant frequent these forums and not hear about how much fun everyone is having with it.
sry u may not hve fun rotarycraft is only for true fans !!

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It appears that way, doesn't it, if you look at things like jet fuel production? Even so, I haven't done anything with RotaryCraft yet that didn't turn out to be worth it in the end, if not always in tangible benefits so in the fun I had building things.

Except magnetizing. Magnetizing is a huge PITA. Now that I've discovered you can magnetize a whole stack of items for the same power you'd use for one, at least now I believe it's power-efficient but it still takes forever and ProjectRed's timer, when set to 0.2 seconds, has a noticeable effect on performance. I'm going to create a stack of Tier 2 upgrades and two of magnetized shaft cores and then I'm going to ritually dismember my Magnetizing Unit. One thing I haven't tried is powering the damned thing with a microturbine. Perhaps that yields tolerable production times at last.

Reactions: YX33A

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Craft the upgrade and shift-rightclick it onto the engine in the world.
I'll need to look for the upgrade, but it'd be nice if the book mentioned them in the articles for the magnetostatic/pneumatic engines. I use the book to remove guesswork, not add to it, lol.

Reactions: Narc

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Except magnetizing. Magnetizing is a huge PITA. Now that I've discovered you can magnetize a whole stack of items for the same power you'd use for one, at least now I believe it's power-efficient but it still takes forever and ProjectRed's timer, when set to 0.2 seconds, has a noticeable effect on performance. I'm going to create a stack of Tier 2 upgrades and two of magnetized shaft cores and then I'm going to ritually dismember my Magnetizing Unit. One thing I haven't tried is powering the damned thing with a microturbine. Perhaps that yields tolerable production times at last.

Mind explaining why you dislike it so much? I run my extractor off of an AC Engine, so I'm interesting in knowing why people dislike magnetizing things.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Mind explaining why you dislike it so much? I run my extractor off of an AC Engine, so I'm interesting in knowing why people dislike magnetizing things.
I can't get the magnetizer or whatever it is working, so there's that. Supplying copious amounts of power in creative node doesn't work either.