What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I am at the Nether ceiling, and people said it works there. That's why I asked. I'll try clearing the area.
I had the same problem, clear out a vertical 5x5 square in front of the borer with the borer in the bottom middle.

Edit: ninja'd by reika

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The Borer digs the full 7x5 face the first step, meaning that you are likely trying to mine 20+ blocks of bedrock at once, leading to a power requirement around 16kNm and 40MW.
Thanks, that did it. What a relief....mining bedrock at a tolerable speed. Not that I need that much of the stuff, but still.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
The Borer digs the full 7x5 face the first step, meaning that you are likely trying to mine 20+ blocks of bedrock at once, leading to a power requirement around 16kNm and 40MW.
Is that 16kNm really supposed to be that low? I thought Boring machine required quite high torque for each block of bedrock o.o

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It uses bonemeal to trigger growth ticks. It is fundamentally the same mechanic as Timewood clocks, ThaumCraft growth lamps, ExtraUtilities watering can, and OpenBlocks sprinklers.

O.O EEE! You've made my day, good sir! HELLS TO THE YEAH!

[ETA]

Okay, having a minor issue with the fans. I'm doing a test build since the server on which I play is down for maintenance. Basically, I've got some magical crops growing on an 8x8 plot of fertilized soil from Random Things so I don't need water and have zero chance of trampling. The fans work fine for uprooting and replanting the crops...most of the time, but are almost always refusing to push the plant drops into the hoppers at the end of the line. I'm currently running one fan on either end, both running on 32Nm @ 2,048 rad/s. Am I not using enough speed and/or torque, or is something else amiss?

Last edited:

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, having a minor issue with the fans. I'm doing a test build since the server on which I play is down for maintenance. Basically, I've got some magical crops growing on an 8x8 plot of fertilized soil from Random Things so I don't need water and have zero chance of trampling. The fans work fine for uprooting and replanting the crops...most of the time, but are almost always refusing to push the plant drops into the hoppers at the end of the line. I'm currently running one fan on either end, both running on 32Nm @ 2,048 rad/s. Am I not using enough speed and/or torque, or is something else amiss?
Using your Angular transducer on RoC machines gives certain outputs in the chat, and in fans case it includes the length of their "wind" with the power they're receiving :3

With the power you're feeding into em, their range should be 8.[DOUBLEPOST=1404937028][/DOUBLEPOST]
think he is missing a 0 for 160kNm
since 20x8192 is for sure not 16000 ;)
Ye that was what I was figuring. Also I just noticed that I typoed even after editing it once ,_, (Breakstone -> bedstone -> bedrock)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
O.O EEE! You've made my day, good sir! HELLS TO THE YEAH!

[ETA]

Regarding the fans, they only push on the row directly in front of the fan. You can augment them with the Extra Utilites fans, or use an item vacuum.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Regarding the fans, they only push on the row directly in front of the fan. You can augment them with the Extra Utilites fans, or use an item vacuum.
Aah, thankee! I suppose I'll keep the fan pair and augment with XU, so as to save power.

The other set of fans are from Open Blocks, not XU.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The bedrock breaker is becoming automateable, the lack of which was the reason the Borer gained an ability it never should have.
Oh, so now my no-diamonds-required path to bedrock is going bye-bue? Aw.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The bedrock breaker is becoming automateable, the lack of which was the reason the Borer gained an ability it never should have.
Does it gain a greater range and/or area of operation? Because that was the main problem I had with it. Within its range, I did automate it using an Autonomous Activator and a Vacuum Hopper.

Now off to mining a lot of bedrock before the next update. :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think this is a good idea; I've always been puzzled by the overlap.

Does it gain a greater range and/or area of operation? Because that was the main problem I had with it. Within its range, I did automate it using an Autonomous Activator and a Vacuum Hopper.

Now off to mining a lot of bedrock before the next update. :D
I also hope something along these lines. Curious what Reika has up his sleeve. "Automateable" doesn't really hint at much, and could be as little as the ability to pipe out dusts.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think this is a good idea; I've always been puzzled by the overlap.

I also hope something along these lines. Curious what Reika has up his sleeve. "Automateable" doesn't really hint at much, and could be as little as the ability to pipe out dusts.
No, I mean a literal borer-style "build the setup and it works forever" design.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No, I mean a literal borer-style "build the setup and it works forever" design.
Nobody can complain about that. I wonder: does it drive horizontally like a borer? If so, how does it handle any non-bedrock blocks it encounters? I like to think that the intense power just pulverizes them into vapour.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Nobody can complain about that. I wonder: does it drive horizontally like a borer? If so, how does it handle any non-bedrock blocks it encounters? I like to think that the intense power just pulverizes them into vapour.
That was the original idea, but it runs into the problem of either action at a distance - which the Borer's mining pipes were created to avoid - or a very cartoonish "expanding drill", neither of which is acceptable.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That was the original idea, but it runs into the problem of either action at a distance - which the Borer's mining pipes were created to avoid - or a very cartoonish "expanding drill", neither of which is acceptable.
I'm mystified then. Is it going to be a surprise or can you tell us what mechanic you used? All I can think of is the MFR laser drill. It has amazing performance benefits, but I can't imagine you'd tolerate the level of abstraction.