What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
As for IC2, the only reason I still have it is the induction furnace. As far as I'm aware of, it's still in a class of its own for fast on-demand smelting. Just now, I'm experimenting with alternatives. Mekanism's energized smelter is next...

I don't mind going to different dimensions for the pitchblende, as long as it's not the Nether, but I find this placement somewhat odd.

The Induction Smelter is nice, but the IC2 Electric Furnace is better with 16 overclockers, a storage upgrade (or two), and transformer upgrades. Can't recall if it needs one or two, but my machines always got powered by an MFSU at that stage, and I got sick of using transformers once they quit using the packet system, which made transformers really problematic because of the downgrade in power flow. In Rotarycraft it would be like using a gearbox and losing 3/4 the torque or speed when you did so.

Also http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/smelting-stuff-fast-a-comparison.46528/

Code:
    Top 10 ranked for speed:
(IC2 EXP) Electric Furnace w/16 Overclockers (and power upgrades)
(Rotarycraft) Vanilla Furnace + Friction Heater powered at 34MW
(Mekanism) Elite Factory (with speed and power upgrades)
(IC2 EXP) Induction Furnace
(Dartcraft) Force Furnace (5 force cores)
(Rotarycraft) Lava Smeltery
(Rotarycraft) Friction @ 2MW
(EnderIO) Alloy Smelter (Octadic Capacitor)
(Thaumcraft) Infernal Furnace (Ignis + 3 bellows)
(Railcraft) Steam Oven

Code:
    Top 10 ranked for efficiency:
(RotaryCraft) Lava Smeltery
(RotaryCraft) Furnace + Friction @ 8kW
(Mekanism) Elite Factory
(Hydraulicraft) Friction Incinerator
(Thermal Expansion) Redstone Furnace
(RotaryCraft) Furnace + Friction @ 131kW
(Engineers Toolbox) Furnace
(EnderIO)  Alloy Smelter
(RotaryCraft)  Furnace + Friction @ 2MW

I removed the Railcraft Steam Oven and Thaumcraft Infernal Furnace from the efficiency chart because trying to use RF/item is a bit tricky with the fuel conversions required. They technically take the top two spots with the math belgabor was using though.

My personal suggestion would probably be the Mekanism Elite Factory or RoC Lava Smeltery; but I'm biased against IC2 now that Greg is part of the team and Player decided that what I term "Gregification" was a good direction for the mod.

==================================================

Yeah, my internet went down while I went to the bathroom. Was gonna edit and say, "No, wait, scratch that. Reverse it". Still, who even uses machines that use even 80 MJ/t?

Extra Bees machines? Applied Energistics? You can also pump something around that into a BC quarry for lots of speed (I can't recall the breakpoints right now, it speeds up for each MJ/t it gets until a certain point then plateaus, until you hit a threshold, then plateaus again until you hit the next threshold. The max reasonable amount of MJ/t you pump into a quarry is something between 100 MJ/t and 60MJ/t, but it will gobble up basically whatever you feed it from what I recall). There are actually a surprising number of things that eat prodijous amounts of power, and that's assuming you're not parallelizing. I had to make my equivalent of Jadedcat's Engine Tetris three times to power my whole base (2 36HP boilers, with 5 or 6 tesselated rows of magmatic dynamos over them) in 1.4.7

Just because you don't use 100+ MJ/t doesn't mean other people don't :) I mean have you seen Reika's world tours? If he's got a significant portion of his machines on, he's using GIGAWATTS of power, which is a stupendous amount of power when converted to RF (or MJ, or EU, or whatever), something in the neighborhood of 5-6 million RF/t that he uses tesseracts to transport and magnetostatics (I think) to convert back to Shaft power.

In 1.7, it can be configured. 256 MJ/t by default, with a loss of 0.1. The loss can also be configured. No info for 1.6 b/c I'm lazy.

I have one thing to say about that by the way for anyone that's still paying attention to this conversation. I couldn't find the quote at the time.

immibis said:
First rule of configs: 90% of people won't see your configs. 95% of people won't change them.
Which means his defaults are rather puny for a very common use case for tesseracts :)

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Hmm....out of curiosity I was trying to make steel with the pulse jet furnace as the description says it can. NEI tells me the recipe uses iron ingots and turns them 1:1 into steel, but when I put them into the furnace nothing happens. I've been making blast glass, so the furnace is powered, fueled and cooled correctly. I've tried to change the speed/torque and increase overall power, but nothing made a difference. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, the description says the pulse jet furnace makes steel more efficiently, but unless it makes two steel of one iron I can't see it, given the power requirements. The original blast furnace is very fast and doesn't use up a lot of the additives.
It needs to be over 900C to do this.

Reactions: YX33A

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
The Induction Smelter is nice, but the IC2 Electric Furnace is better with 16 overclockers, a storage upgrade (or two), and transformer upgrades. Can't recall if it needs one or two, but my machines always got powered by an MFSU at that stage, and I got sick of using transformers once they quit using the packet system, which made transformers really problematic because of the downgrade in power flow. In Rotarycraft it would be like using a gearbox and losing 3/4 the torque or speed when you did so.

Also http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/smelting-stuff-fast-a-comparison.46528/

Code:
    Top 10 ranked for speed:
(IC2 EXP) Electric Furnace w/16 Overclockers (and power upgrades)
(Rotarycraft) Vanilla Furnace + Friction Heater powered at 34MW
(Mekanism) Elite Factory (with speed and power upgrades)
(Dartcraft) Force Furnace (5 force cores)
(Rotarycraft) Lava Smeltery
(Rotarycraft) Friction @ 2MW
(EnderIO) Alloy Smelter (Octadic Capacitor)
(Thaumcraft) Infernal Furnace (Ignis + 3 bellows)
(Railcraft) Steam Oven

Code:
    Top 10 ranked for efficiency:
(RotaryCraft) Lava Smeltery
(RotaryCraft) Furnace + Friction @ 8kW
(Mekanism) Elite Factory
(Hydraulicraft) Friction Incinerator
(Thermal Expansion) Redstone Furnace
(RotaryCraft) Furnace + Friction @ 131kW
(Engineers Toolbox) Furnace
(EnderIO)  Alloy Smelter
(RotaryCraft)  Furnace + Friction @ 2MW

I removed the Railcraft Steam Oven and Thaumcraft Infernal Furnace from the efficiency chart because trying to use RF/item is a bit tricky with the fuel conversions required. They technically take the top two spots with the math belgabor was using though.

My personal suggestion would probably be the Mekanism Elite Factory or RoC Lava Smeltery; but I'm biased against IC2 now that Greg is part of the team and Player decided that what I term "Gregification" was a good direction for the mod.

Extra Bees machines? Applied Energistics? You can also pump something around that into a BC quarry for lots of speed (I can't recall the breakpoints right now, it speeds up for each MJ/t it gets until a certain point then plateaus, until you hit a threshold, then plateaus again until you hit the next threshold. The max reasonable amount of MJ/t you pump into a quarry is something between 100 MJ/t and 60MJ/t, but it will gobble up basically whatever you feed it from what I recall). There are actually a surprising number of things that eat prodijous amounts of power, and that's assuming you're not parallelizing. I had to make my equivalent of Jadedcat's Engine Tetris three times to power my whole base (2 36HP boilers, with 5 or 6 tesselated rows of magmatic dynamos over them) in 1.4.7

Just because you don't use 100+ MJ/t doesn't mean other people don't :) I mean have you seen Reika's world tours? If he's got a significant portion of his machines on, he's using GIGAWATTS of power, which is a stupendous amount of power when converted to RF (or MJ, or EU, or whatever), something in the neighborhood of 5-6 million RF/t that he uses tesseracts to transport and magnetostatics (I think) to convert back to Shaft power.

I have one thing to say about that by the way for anyone that's still paying attention to this conversation. I couldn't find the quote at the time.

Which means his defaults are rather puny for a very common use case for tesseracts :)
As said, that is in MJ. That converts to 2560 RF.

Reactions: Padfoote

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
As said, that is in MJ. That converts to 2560 RF.
I'm well aware of that. Since when is 2560RF/t comparable with 10k RF/t or 5 million RF/t? One of the single most common uses for cross-dimensional power transport is "main power" channel. I transfer less thank 2560 RF via my "main power" for the first two or three Minecraft weeks, it tends to go up from there. Which is why my comment is relevant. DEFAULTS ARE IMPORTANT, and the defaults for EnderIO are a problem. I still want an option that BY DEFAULT actually allows me to transfer something that I personally consider to be a reasonable amount of power.

If I want to spend 5000 steel, 5000 wool, 27000 lodestone, 1500 gold, 2500 iron, and some miscellaneous materials in order to never have to worry about creating another generator ever again, why precisely should I be told to go into my configs (which is impossible on a server mind you, unless I'm the owner. And then I really ought to check with my players) to fix an arbitrary limit that I can hit in the normal course of playing without even attempting to break the limit on purpose? Default configs are what gets used and cannot be changed in an OVERWHELMING majority of situations for a wide variety of reasons.

Remember the whole TE/BC problem when TE disappeared for the first part of 1.6? It's the same issue all over again. Builds and even mods got used to the capabilities of TE, and then TE didn't update, and now the remaining option is objectively worse than the TE option. I don't care if it's got a tax, I actually think that's better balanced. Unfortunately with the constraints of Minecraft, if I can only pump 2560 rf/t out of a block that has one exposed face? That becomes useless, severely limiting my available options, and giving a royal kick in the pants to most of my power generation and server-friendly builds as I kludge together things that mostly work and take entirely too many blocks and cause way to much lag, and generally take up more space than is necessary.

I mean really, how many times do I have to say this. I UNDERSTAND THE LIMIT OF THE ENDERIO DIMENSIONAL TRANSCEIVER. I got it a long time ago, but you apparently haven't grasped that yet because you keep bringing up things that I already know! I wasn't even TALKING about the limit of the DimTran, merely that saying it's configurable is a freaking cop-out. One that I am THOROUGHLY sick and tired of people bringing up. Good, great. It's configurable. Nice band-aid fix. Please make (or tell the mod author to make) the default something reasonable so that portion of your mod is actually useful in a reasonable use case?

Obviously you are not the author of EnderIO, so that's last bit isn't really directed at you. The anger is though. PLEASE quit telling me things that I already know by assuming I either can't read, don't mean what I say, or can't comprehend simple sentences!

Also read my post please. You know that "Just because you don't use 100+ MJ/t doesn't mean other people don't" that applies to 256 MJ/t just as well as 100+, I can sit here for hours listing off build after build that will exceed a power draw of 2560 RF/t, use case after use case. I just don't want to because it should be blatantly obvious at this point that I'm not bitching about nothing here, and any reasonable person that has actually read my posts can see that it's pretty easy to find builds that use 2560 rf/t or more, thereby rendering the DimTran an insufficient solution. I might go point crazypants at this thread, except that it probably appears that I'm being rather disrespectful towards them.

You know that immibis quote I linked? Very important for any/every programmer to see that Coding Horror post. Because the way immibis puts it is a VERY apt assessment of the situation. Your defaults are KING. Which means they are one of the single most important decisions a mod author will EVER make about their mod. Also I haven't seen any solutions to my original dilemma: I want to transmit a tokamak's full output as RF, cross-dimensionally. The same goes for a BigReactor with the ResonantRise config settings (IIRC 11x powergen). Because that is how I play Minecraft, and I will not accept "config change" as an answer; because to me it is merely a cop-out.

Therefor any mod author seeing this may consider it to be a plea: If you have a cross-dimensional power system, or are planning on adding one? Please, for the love of Notch, make it capless by default. I don't really care if you have to spend a bunch of resources to make the Unlimited Power Teleport Block (Force me to use a Block of 4x Compressed Nether Star surrounded by Soul Fragments from Extra Utilities. That's really REALLY overkill, but you get my point I hope: Make it expensive if you think there's a balance reason to do so), just make it available in survival, with default configurations files!

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm well aware of that. Since when is 2560RF/t comparable with 10k RF/t or 5 million RF/t? One of the single most common uses for cross-dimensional power transport is "main power" channel. I transfer less thank 2560 RF via my "main power" for the first two or three Minecraft weeks, it tends to go up from there. Which is why my comment is relevant. DEFAULTS ARE IMPORTANT, and the defaults for EnderIO are a problem. I still want an option that BY DEFAULT actually allows me to transfer something that I personally consider to be a reasonable amount of power.

If I want to spend 5000 steel, 5000 wool, 27000 lodestone, 1500 gold, 2500 iron, and some miscellaneous materials in order to never have to worry about creating another generator ever again, why precisely should I be told to go into my configs (which is impossible on a server mind you, unless I'm the owner. And then I really ought to check with my players) to fix an arbitrary limit that I can hit in the normal course of playing without even attempting to break the limit on purpose? Default configs are what gets used and cannot be changed in an OVERWHELMING majority of situations for a wide variety of reasons.

Remember the whole TE/BC problem when TE disappeared for the first part of 1.6? It's the same issue all over again. Builds and even mods got used to the capabilities of TE, and then TE didn't update, and now the remaining option is objectively worse than the TE option. I don't care if it's got a tax, I actually think that's better balanced. Unfortunately with the constraints of Minecraft, if I can only pump 2560 rf/t out of a block that has one exposed face? That becomes useless, severely limiting my available options, and giving a royal kick in the pants to most of my power generation and server-friendly builds as I kludge together things that mostly work and take entirely too many blocks and cause way to much lag, and generally take up more space than is necessary.

I mean really, how many times do I have to say this. I UNDERSTAND THE LIMIT OF THE ENDERIO DIMENSIONAL TRANSCEIVER. I got it a long time ago, but you apparently haven't grasped that yet because you keep bringing up things that I already know! I wasn't even TALKING about the limit of the DimTran, merely that saying it's configurable is a freaking cop-out. One that I am THOROUGHLY sick and tired of people bringing up. Good, great. It's configurable. Nice band-aid fix. Please make (or tell the mod author to make) the default something reasonable so that portion of your mod is actually useful in a reasonable use case?

Obviously you are not the author of EnderIO, so that's last bit isn't really directed at you. The anger is though. PLEASE quit telling me things that I already know by assuming I either can't read, don't mean what I say, or can't comprehend simple sentences!

Also read my post please. You know that "Just because you don't use 100+ MJ/t doesn't mean other people don't" that applies to 256 MJ/t just as well as 100+, I can sit here for hours listing off build after build that will exceed a power draw of 2560 RF/t, use case after use case. I just don't want to because it should be blatantly obvious at this point that I'm not bitching about nothing here, and any reasonable person that has actually read my posts can see that it's pretty easy to find builds that use 2560 rf/t or more, thereby rendering the DimTran an insufficient solution. I might go point crazypants at this thread, except that it probably appears that I'm being rather disrespectful towards them.

You know that immibis quote I linked? Very important for any/every programmer to see that Coding Horror post. Because the way immibis puts it is a VERY apt assessment of the situation. Your defaults are KING. Which means they are one of the single most important decisions a mod author will EVER make about their mod. Also I haven't seen any solutions to my original dilemma: I want to transmit a tokamak's full output as RF, cross-dimensionally. The same goes for a BigReactor with the ResonantRise config settings (IIRC 11x powergen). Because that is how I play Minecraft, and I will not accept "config change" as an answer; because to me it is merely a cop-out.

Therefor any mod author seeing this may consider it to be a plea: If you have a cross-dimensional power system, or are planning on adding one? Please, for the love of Notch, make it capless by default. I don't really care if you have to spend a bunch of resources to make the Unlimited Power Teleport Block (Force me to use a Block of 4x Compressed Nether Star surrounded by Soul Fragments from Extra Utilities. That's really REALLY overkill, but you get my point I hope: Make it expensive if you think there's a balance reason to do so), just make it available in survival, with default configurations files!
If you cannot change the configs, you do not deserve to have something better.

Reactions: YX33A and Not_Steve

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
So if I play on a server, which for some reason has Reika's mods and EnderIO but not TE, all with default configuration files that, as a player and not the server owner, I am quite literally incapable of changing via any method other than getting the owner or a moderator/admin with access to the config files to change them for me. My options are "lag the everliving crap out of the server to power my builds", "bug a staff member that can change configs", "find a new server", "play in single player", or "don't play Minecraft the way you want to"?

The first option is a dick move, I'm not going to ruin the experience on a server I play on simply because a mod author did not anticipate a use case.
As for the second option, I've ran my own server and been a moderator before. You're effectively a servant, at the beck and call of the community. I am SO not bugging them with something that really isn't their problem when they have ACTUAL problems to deal with instead of "Hey, the default configs you had before aren't ok with me: Here's a long list of reasons why so I can eat a huge block of your donated time. Please fix this instead of actually doing your job."
Third option is one that I despise as a technical "option" that anyone seriously suggesting is a complete jerk for thinking is even remotely palatable.
Option number 4 is much the same, why should I be rendered unable to fully enjoy playing Minecraft by either forcing me to play MP a way I do not like, or leaving my friends behind?
The fifth option is the height of arrogance (I mean the last two were pretty arrogant, but this one takes the cake).

So, you're saying that I need to be a dick, I need to bug people that are generally overworked and underpaid with real problems, or I need to shut up and go in the corner and play Minecraft the way you think I need to play Minecraft?

I'm really glad you aren't a mod author or my server operator.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
If you cannot change the configs, you do not deserve to have something better.

Also: I am perfectly capable of changing configs in my single player world, do all the time. Same goes for servers I am the owner of, or have the capability of controlling the configs before they go live. That is SO not the case for the majority of Minecraft players!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I also want to say the entire idea of drawing arbitrary limits about "noone will never need more than this" is ludicrous. Not only is it trivial to prove such examples wrong, but they are often also delivered extremely condescendingly, with the not-always-unstated implication that "if you need more than X, you are doing it wrong". I have had high-level mod devs tell me that it was dumb for anyone to ever need more than 2000RF/t. I routinely need fifty times that, and when I told them this, was promptly laughed out of the IRC.

Reactions: madnewmy and YX33A

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Did you miss his entire point about servers where admins are either too lazy, too incompetent, or too strict on their idea of balance for that to be viable?
No, I didn't. But if server admins do that, and don't take the opinions of their playerbase into consideration, then they aren't very good admins.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'll stop arguing, mostly because I don't have an argument for that.
But I stick to what I said. If you don't change the defaults, you shouldn't be complaining. If you know how to make that much power, you probably went on some sort of forums or reddit and know of that it exists. Then they can ask, and I'd be fine telling them. You should learn how to edit configs if you haven't already. Config too long? Ctrl+F. Can't find anything? Ask for a line number.
It isn't really that hard to post.

Reactions: psp

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I also want to say the entire idea of drawing arbitrary limits about "noone will never need more than this" is ludicrous. Not only is it trivial to prove such examples wrong, but they are often also delivered extremely condescendingly, with the not-always-unstated implication that "if you need more than X, you are doing it wrong". I have had high-level mod devs tell me that it was dumb for anyone to ever need more than 2000RF/t. I routinely need fifty times that, and when I told them this, was promptly laughed out of the IRC.
Generally I agree with you. Though I don't mind the system TE went with. For your early game energy needs, there's leadstone. For more middle-game you can upgrade to the slightly better reinforced-tier. Then comes the generally useful Redstone tier(though honestly I'm amazed they don't have a resonant tier for energy conduits). Finally, if your build exceeds the capability of the Redstone Energy Conduit? You've got the cap-less Tesseract. It's that bit on the end that shows really good design. You can do it cheap and progress through early game, and if you never need to TP power, or never need more than 10 KRF/t (It is 10k, isn't it?), then you can ignore the tesseract and just run redstone conduits. But there's always an option for the people that do things the mod author never originally thought possible (I recall KingLemming on TS in one of Direwolf20's Forgecraft videos talking about TE development and saying something along the lines of "nobody will ever need to draw more than that" when referencing the Redstone Energy Conduit).

No, I didn't. But if server admins do that, and don't take the opinions of their playerbase into consideration, then they aren't very good admins.
Yep, they are pretty crappy admins, but having crappy admins is a large issue in Minecraft multiplayer. One that many people have to deal with and something people in charge of configuration files (modpack designers and mod authors) really need to consider.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Generally I agree with you. Though I don't mind the system TE went with. For your early game energy needs, there's leadstone. For more middle-game you can upgrade to the slightly better reinforced-tier. Then comes the generally useful Redstone tier(though honestly I'm amazed they don't have a resonant tier for energy conduits). Finally, if your build exceeds the capability of the Redstone Energy Conduit? You've got the cap-less Tesseract. It's that bit on the end that shows really good design. You can do it cheap and progress through early game, and if you never need to TP power, or never need more than 10 KRF/t (It is 10k, isn't it?), then you can ignore the tesseract and just run redstone conduits. But there's always an option for the people that do things the mod author never originally thought possible (I recall KingLemming on TS in one of Direwolf20's Forgecraft videos talking about TE development and saying something along the lines of "nobody will ever need to draw more than that" when referencing the Redstone Energy Conduit).

Yep, they are pretty crappy admins, but having crappy admins is a large issue in Minecraft multiplayer. One that many people have to deal with and something people in charge of configuration files (modpack designers and mod authors) really need to consider.
The main reason I don't play SMP is annoying admins. There was one admin that wasn't extremely annoying, and now I seem to crash whenever I log into the server.
So, I started making packs. Found people on the forums, and got them together for a server. So, now I have a finished modpack (ty @Padfoote for helping with oregen and balance) and enough money to rent a server.
Have I mentioned I love the community here?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
One thing to keep in mind is that mod makers frequently make mods for themselves, with certain cross-mod combinations in mind. If they choose a default that suits those combinations, that's their prerogative, and anyone who doesn't like it can fly a kite.

To clarify: that's not directed at the good and fun TomeWyrm in the slightest, but rather an observation that, although I'm pleased when my programs are used beyond their intended scope, I still design with that scope in mind.

I don't actually know if that's the case here, but I like to leave it open as a possibility. (Everyone loves a devil's advocate...right...?)

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The point of my signature is that making something configurable is not an excuse for not balancing it.

If you make a mod with conduits that can transfer 2.5 RF/t, your mod is dumb, to put it bluntly.
If you make that configurable, that doesn't make your mod any less dumb than if it was hardcoded.

This is mostly relevant to GregTech arguments.

Reactions: TomeWyrm and YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The point of my signature is that making something configurable is not an excuse for not balancing it.

If you make a mod with conduits that can transfer 2.5 RF/t, your mod is dumb, to put it bluntly.
If you make that configurable, that doesn't make your mod any less dumb than if it was hardcoded.

This is mostly relevant to GregTech arguments.
That's a pretty extreme example :p

I could, sort of, maybe see a 200RF/T limit making sense for a noob conduit made of wooden sticks and good intentions. But it wouldn't work cross-mod 99% of the time.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right, I fixed that quote to actually point at Immibis. I was wondering how he got into the conversation so quickly :)

That's the thing though. TE's energy conduits are 2 lead, 6 redstone and a glass block for 6 80rf/t conduits. 3 of those + 3 more redstone and an ingot of invar gives you 3 hardened conduits (or 3 nuggets of invar, a single conduit and one piece of redstone to get a single conduit) with a throughput of 400 RF/t. Then the hardened glass and pair of electrum ingots (granting you... 6? 4? I actually haven't paid attention to the yield in forever) filled with 2 liquified redstone per empty conduit gets you 10KRF/t.

Their noob conduit is significantly more expensive than your off-the-cuff example, and carries less... but the various tiers don't really get that much more expensive. I mean they use redstone for every tier, and you need some lead to get the middle tier in addition to the nickel/iron. Then you hit the top tier and the worst part about that is the use of four machines (pulverizer for obsidian, and either pulverizer or induction furnace for gold and silver, the induction furnace for the hardened glass, the magam crucible to melt the redstone, and then the liquid transposer to infuse it into the empty conduits), and the collection of obsidian.

None of those tiers are really expensive. Most people I know use leadstone for a little bit, and then make the jump right to REC's because it really doesn't take that much time or energy to make them.

Not a bad thing mind you, and 10k RF/t is a very servicable amount for a "general use" conduit. Many systems use under that much even at peak draw. The particularly nice thing is that the Tesseract has no caps for any of its transfers, except for items because of the size of the buffer inherent in the hidden inventory slot. Which means that when you need a bajillionty 5 RF to go into or out of something, you %&#$ well can.

Which is the most important thing for me. If I'm the only one playing the mod, I might hard-code a limit. But the instant you release a mod to the public? It's not really solely yours anymore. You can completely ignore anyone else (and any good ideas they might have) because it's MY mod! Quit bugging me or I'll take my ball mod and go home! Or you can listen to people, consider balance and use cases beyond your own, and have other people enjoy your mod. If you don't get any joy from making other people happy, you are one odd human being; and ask a bunch of mod authors, I'll bet they'll tell you that they're happy they pay some attention to what the community says about their mod because it's made their mod better in some way. Maybe it makes it more usable and the community made this awesome thing the author never would have dreamed of building, maybe it lags their computer less because some of their users found a bug and pointed out an awesome fix that makes your mod use WAY less resources. Sure you have to put up with the... less than brilliant... users of your mod, but the vast majority of the mod authors that I've seen stop modding have dropped out of the scene because of RL issues (encouraged into it by entitled jerk users a lot of the time, the Minecraft community is full of some of the most awesome and least awesome people I've ever seen simultaneously), or because they hit the end of their interest in a mod. It "finished" or grew organically to a point they don't find appealing anymore.

While yes, it's the mod author's baby, and they have every right to tell anyone to take their opinion and go jog through a cactus farm where it concerns THEIR mod, ignoring your users and fans is a flat-out dumb idea.

Incidentally @immibis, seeing as how you're here and one of the few people I'd expect to make something like this. Are you considering a cross-dimension enabled energy teleport system? Either as a new mod or as an extension to say InfiniTubes?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It needs to be over 900C to do this.
How do I do this? I can't place a heater because the bottom slot is the power input, the friction heater says it's a non-heatable machine and simply giving it more power or varying the torque/speed ratio does not appear to do anything. I've tried maximum torque at lowest possible speed and maximum speed at 1 Nm, for a total power between 2 and 8 MW. I get 873C all the time.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
How do I do this? I can't place a heater because the bottom slot is the power input, the friction heater says it's a non-heatable machine and simply giving it more power or varying the torque/speed ratio does not appear to do anything. I've tried maximum torque at lowest possible speed and maximum speed at 1 Nm, for a total power between 2 and 8 MW. I get 873C all the time.

Have you tried a hotter biome or doing this further underground? IIRC certain machines are impacted by those two details.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Have you tried a hotter biome or doing this further underground? IIRC certain machines are impacted by those two details.
I am already at level 40 with my production setup because of the fermenters. Having to go down to bedrock for this appears somewhat odd. I may test the desert at some time, but at some point this becomes pointless. This was supposed to be nothing more than a short curiosity-driven test. I was trying to make steel with the pulse jet furnace because the handbook says it's more efficient, but since the output isn't affected if the recipe shown by NEI is correct and my automated blast furnace is doing a good job of keeping me supplied with steel so far, I don't see the need to build yet another remote outpost.