What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
How do I do this? I can't place a heater because the bottom slot is the power input, the friction heater says it's a non-heatable machine and simply giving it more power or varying the torque/speed ratio does not appear to do anything. I've tried maximum torque at lowest possible speed and maximum speed at 1 Nm, for a total power between 2 and 8 MW. I get 873C all the time.
Either do not supply water or feed it oxygen.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of biome traits, @Reika is there any hope of a RC item to detect humidity and temperature in a biome? I can do it with Forestry(and need to for my bees), but your mods could really benefit from such a thing.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Speaking of biome traits, @Reika is there any hope of a RC item to detect humidity and temperature in a biome? I can do it with Forestry(and need to for my bees), but your mods could really benefit from such a thing.
They already do, but according to registries that I coded, not something endemic to vanilla which is often arbitrary and useless (for example, temperatures normally range from 0.2 to 1).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They already do, but according to registries that I coded, not something endemic to vanilla which is often arbitrary and useless (for example, temperatures normally range from 0.2 to 1).
See why we need this?
If you already have something for this, Krosis.

Hotter or colder makes a difference for RoC and Bees, and the thing is, Bees can do this with a single Apiary and a pickaxe if one doesn't have a way to pick it up otherwise.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
See why we need this?
If you already have something for this, Krosis.

Hotter or colder makes a difference for RoC and Bees, and the thing is, Bees can do this with a single Apiary and a pickaxe if one doesn't have a way to pick it up otherwise.
I fail to see what you are trying to say. Forestry uses the vanilla values because it cares little about the exact magnitudes and instead is only concerned with relative categories ("hot" biomes, etc). I, however, need the exact numerical data.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I fail to see what you are trying to say. Forestry uses the vanilla values because it cares little about the exact magnitudes and instead is only concerned with relative categories ("hot" biomes, etc). I, however, need the exact numerical data.

I think what @YX33A is trying to say is that he wants a machine / item / something in RotaryCraft to tell us, the players, how hot a biome will be so we can judge how that will impact various machines. An Apiary gives a general idea, which he's using as an example of Forestry providing that information to the player.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I think what @YX33A is trying to say is that he wants a machine / item / something in RotaryCraft to tell us, the players, how hot a biome will be so we can judge how that will impact various machines. An Apiary gives a general idea, which he's using as an example of Forestry providing that information to the player.
Bingo. Some data on how hot where I'm at is would be insanely good. I mean, I had to bring my RC Blast Furnace down to basically Bedrock, and there was lava everywhere, just to get to barely hot enough to make steel when I first got started in RotaryCraft. Was in a Extreme Hills Edge biome IIRC. A desert would have been better, or the nether of course, but I wanted steel quick and there was no deserts around, nor did I have all I needed to go to the nether.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Bingo. Some data on how hot where I'm at is would be insanely good. I mean, I had to bring my RC Blast Furnace down to basically Bedrock, and there was lava everywhere, just to get to barely hot enough to make steel when I first got started in RotaryCraft. Was in a Extreme Hills Edge biome IIRC. A desert would have been better, or the nether of course, but I wanted steel quick and there was no deserts around, nor did I have all I needed to go to the nether.
Extreme Hills Edge Biomes are coded at 25C and the Blast Furnace works fine at sea level with adjacent lava. Even snow biomes - which I should not need to specify are colder - only need a small descent or an additional fire block.

Don't pulse jet furnaces fail violently when improperly cooled, though?
Not if you are clever with the duty cycle. :p

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Don't pulse jet furnaces fail violently when improperly cooled, though?
I suspect you can use periodic water supply to keep things running at higher-than-normal temperatures, but yeah, that's why I'll try "feed it with oxygen" first. I'll need electrolyzers anyway for deuterium production, might as well get started with that early on.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
How much torque is required to mine bedrock with the boring machine? I've had up to 32768 Nm with a total power of 67 MW for a 1x1 area, and my boring machine still complained.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
You can't use a boring machine under Y=4 in the overworld. The boring machine can get the nether ceiling, but only after clearing the full 7x5 area one layer in front of the bore.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
How much torque is required to mine bedrock with the boring machine? I've had up to 32768 Nm with a total power of 67 MW for a 1x1 area, and my boring machine still complained.
Sane requirement as the Bedrock breaker, but per block.[DOUBLEPOST=1404926912][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can't use a boring machine under Y=4 in the overworld. The boring machine can get the nether ceiling, but only after clearing the full 7x5 area one layer in front of the bore.
^This too.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
That still requires being clever. :p
If you listened to some folks, you'd think it was an idiot box you could plug into anything and make it work with no effort whatsoever.

Also, does your fertilizer thingy use bonemeal effects, or does it use growth ticks? I ask because a certain setup I'm working on would be even more ludicrous if I could speed up growth ticks fast enough.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I am at the Nether ceiling, and people said it works there. That's why I asked. I'll try clearing the area.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Also, does your fertilizer thingy use bonemeal effects, or does it use growth ticks? I ask because a certain setup I'm working on would be even more ludicrous if I could speed up growth ticks fast enough.
It uses bonemeal to trigger growth ticks. It is fundamentally the same mechanic as Timewood clocks, ThaumCraft growth lamps, ExtraUtilities watering can, and OpenBlocks sprinklers.

I am at the Nether ceiling, and people said it works there. That's why I asked. I'll try clearing the area.
The Borer digs the full 7x5 face the first step, meaning that you are likely trying to mine 20+ blocks of bedrock at once, leading to a power requirement around 16kNm and 40MW.

Reactions: RavynousHunter