What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I too run mine off of 1 AC engine, but I went a slightly different approach. ( Pretty sure a single 8:1 won't meet the max speed requirement btw, so you probably do have something a little different. )

I have a multi-directional clutch set for 2 directions when power is on or off ( 0 and 15 ). Those go to either a 16:1 and 2:1 ( for 32:1 ) or straight in. This will run stages 1 and 4 together, or stages 2 and 3 together.

I originally built a 4 speed transmission similar to the above, with 8:1 and 2:1 paths as well, until I learned I didn't really need those. Woops. Yes, that one was getting pretty complicated, and could only run a single stage at a time.

Anyways, it takes something like 20 seconds for stage 1, 10 for 2 and 3, and stage 4 is around 30 seconds. I have a simple lever to swap between the 2 modes whenever they get clogged up or empty. It dumps into a diamond chest. I'm only processing the somewhat rarer stuff this way anyways. For the main line I have a hydro engine running a grinder pretty well. These 2 are currently far exceeding my demands for materials at the moment, especially thanks to the time it takes figuring out each new RoC build I do:)

I also have 2 magnetizers hooked up to an AC engine. Yes, it's quite slow, but it could provide me with enough magnetized cores for probably 20+ ac engines with just 1 core in each magnetizer. I too am not running the power conversion, so I don't need it to run any faster or better. ( PS: Does anyone know what the max charge for a shaft core is? Curious if I need to keep a closer eye on them, or if they still have a very long ways to go. )

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
( Pretty sure a single 8:1 won't meet the max speed requirement btw, so you probably do have something a little different. )

I might have a 8:1 hooked to a 2:1 gearbox then. I'll have to hop on soon and check it out to make sure.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Padfoote
That's all good and well in an RoC-only environment. The reason I am not switching to running my base on shaft power is that a shaft power network can't be made to adapt itself to varying power requirements without extreme effort, if at all, and I can't cover the "conduits" up with facades. So the network is always visible, which is against my style preferences, and I need to adjust the system every time I add a new machine. That's not something I want to do on *that* regular a basis.

As for "why wait". I'd not be waiting, but if I'm in the middle of something, I don't like to switch out of it until it's done. I'll have to try automating the process at some time, that might actually be fun to do, but only if I have a use for the AC engine AND find a timer that doesn't affect fps on fast settings.

BTW, has anyone else gotten a bug that makes Magnetostatic engines occasionally revert to tier 0 when placed?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
As for "why wait". I'd not be waiting, but if I'm in the middle of something, I don't like to switch out of it until it's done. I'll have to try automating the process at some time, that might actually be fun to do, but only if I have a use for the AC engine AND find a timer that doesn't affect fps on fast settings.

Try a comparator setup for a timer. I see no impact on my FPS from it. Just make sure the area around it is well lit, since the lighting updates from it will murder your FPS otherwise.

Reactions: YX33A

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
When @Reika posted I expected it to be stating that he would "fix" the AC engine powering an extractor.
I hardly consider that broken. I know of someone (actually, two separate people) running one automatically off of a gasoline engine before even having large-scale lubricant production, but they do this with several bevels, a multiclutch, and separate geartrains.

This is RC. Ingenuity is rewarded. Brute-force is not.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
If the magnetization process is causing you suffering, then you are doing something wrong. Probably trying to rely on magnetostatic power which I deliberately made slow until you have gone through RC "properly".
I've been testing this with a microturbine and a 16:1 gearbox running the magnetizer and....magnetized a shaft core to a few hundred microtesla in less than a minute. So, ok, you are correct, but I have to ask: I ran this before with a microturbine without the gearbox (at 131krad @ 16 Nm instead of 2Mrad @ 1Nm)and it was still painfully slow. According to the handbook speed increases have diminishing returns but that is most decidedly not the case here - and not only here. I've had several setups getting inexplicable speed jumps when certain thresholds are reached. Why is that?

Edit:
I used an Engineer's toolbox timer this time at a period of 0.5 seconds. Lag was undetectable so it's definitely the graphics causing the lag with the ProjectRed timer

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way, in RotaryCraft itself or out, to automate the farming of canola? I've tried with fans, but the results are extremely erratic and the farm quickly depletes because seeds aren't always replanted. I'd...really rather not bother with golems, as I really don't have the patience to deal with research.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Fans and DC or Steam engines. Plant canola in front of the fans. Check the range by transducer on the fans. Put hoppers in before the range runs out (optional - vacuum hoppers or RC item vacuum). Pipe from hoppers to grinder. Done!

Only the first set of canola requires manual planting. Fan harvested canola will automatically replant itself. I get enough lubricant for 20+ hydrokinetics from one 3x15 farm harvested by 3 side by side fans powered by steam engines. I'm more limited by the speed of the grinder.

Protip - if you use steam engines, use some shafts to separate the engine from the fan by about 3 blocks. The netherrack fire can momentarily spread in front of the fan, which then blows it down the whole row, trolling you the entire way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there a way, in RotaryCraft itself or out, to automate the farming of canola? I've tried with fans, but the results are extremely erratic and the farm quickly depletes because seeds aren't always replanted. I'd...really rather not bother with golems, as I really don't have the patience to deal with research.
Fans are what I use and I have no issues.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Fans are what I use and I have no issues.
I'm on version 21B. Is it perhaps a problem specifically with fertilized dirt from Random Things? From what I've experienced, it works just like regular tilled, watered earth with a little growth boost to offset the cost. I ask because fans give me absolutely zero problems with Magical Crops, so it strikes me as a tad queer that they're misbehaving with a crop from their own mod.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
It uses bonemeal to trigger growth ticks. It is fundamentally the same mechanic as Timewood clocks, ThaumCraft growth lamps, ExtraUtilities watering can, and OpenBlocks sprinklers.
Are you sure about those? I thought the watering can used growth ticks directly. The "standard" test is to see if they work on Cactus, Sugar Cane, and/or Nether Wart as none of those (I haven't checked Wart recently, so could be wrong there) allow bonemeal. An example that I'm 99% sure triggers growth ticks directly is the Blood Magic Sigil/Ritual of the Green Grove. I've been tempted to stack Thaumcraft4 Lamps of Growth, OpenBlocks Sprinklers, MFR Fertilizers, Blood Magic's Ritual of the Green Grove, Ars Magica 2's Sigil of Nature's Bounty, and the Botania Agricarnation just to see how ludicrously fast I can get a wheat farm (because most of those won't work on the crops I REALLY want to do this on) running. Though I tend to be more about parallelization than enhancement where resources are concerned, so I never got around to it. I don't play on servers, and I never limit myself to a single small plot of land for farms. Heck my "standard" wheat farm is a semi-auto design I came up with back in Beta. It's a stair pattern with walls and two 4-wide pads that are 7-8 long with a water stream down the middle, repeated as many times as I feel like (generally more than 10). It's got a water harvest that I usually control via piston. I harvest the thing once and I have more food than I know what to do with... which actually seems to be a theme with my builds. Make it more capable than I need by a wide margin, then I never have to worry :).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Are you sure about those? I thought the watering can used growth ticks directly. The "standard" test is to see if they work on Cactus, Sugar Cane, and/or Nether Wart as none of those (I haven't checked Wart recently, so could be wrong there) allow bonemeal. An example that I'm 99% sure triggers growth ticks directly is the Blood Magic Sigil/Ritual of the Green Grove. I've been tempted to stack Thaumcraft4 Lamps of Growth, OpenBlocks Sprinklers, MFR Fertilizers, Blood Magic's Ritual of the Green Grove, Ars Magica 2's Sigil of Nature's Bounty, and the Botania Agricarnation just to see how ludicrously fast I can get a wheat farm (because most of those won't work on the crops I REALLY want to do this on) running. Though I tend to be more about parallelization than enhancement where resources are concerned, so I never got around to it. I don't play on servers, and I never limit myself to a single small plot of land for farms. Heck my "standard" wheat farm is a semi-auto design I came up with back in Beta. It's a stair pattern with walls and two 4-wide pads that are 7-8 long with a water stream down the middle, repeated as many times as I feel like (generally more than 10). It's got a water harvest that I usually control via piston. I harvest the thing once and I have more food than I know what to do with... which actually seems to be a theme with my builds. Make it more capable than I need by a wide margin, then I never have to worry :).
I meant that all those devices use growth ticks. Bonemeal is a totally separate instant-growth (metadata set) mechanic. I say mine use bonemeal because they literally do consume it.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that I'm not a modder, so I have no idea how this works behind the scenes. Pretty much the entire idea I have of this I got from watching Direwolf20's Lets Play series, and he's getting this from the Forgecraft Devs (and messes it up from time to time, he isn't a programmer either :) ).

From what I understand, there are two ways to accelerate plant growth in mods: bonemeal application and growth ticks. A large portion of the "old guard" mods use bonemeal, or check bonemeal, or something with their growth acceleration mechanics, which usually means they only work on saplings, wheat, carrots, and potatoes (and any mod plant that extends those vanilla classes). Other mods directly trigger growth updates (and here's where my understanding REALLY breaks down). What the second set of growth acceleration mechanics do is allow virtually assured universal compatibility with mod plants. The first set tend to be limited to the plants the mod author was conversant with (vanilla + their mod), which severely limits their potential for use in farming in a heavily modded environment.

My standard test is to grab a cactus or reed and see if that works, then an ender lily. If the mechanic works on both, I'm pretty certain it "uses growth ticks". If it works on only the vanilla plants then it usually "uses bonemeal" and the author stuck an exception in for cactus/reeds. Note that's just what I (and Direwolf20; apparently Padfoote as well) call it. It might not be accurate code-wise but it certainly works well enough for us non-modders :)