What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The major glaring issue being that quantum mechanics and gravity don't work together, even though they exist in the same universe.
Well we do have string theory which is looking to be the best bet for this. However, if CERN does not find supersymmetric particles soon then 50 years of theory goes down the drain...

Last edited:

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: Not_Steve

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
really really...
Guess this is now a XKCD thread.
Also: @zemerick why do you think that Quantum Physics and Gravity can't exist together? Quantum Physics is just a more specialized field of Physics. Quantum is derived from the word Quanta, meaning single.*
So Quantum Physics is just Physics but less diverse. My understanding is that it is based around the fact that light has mass and all the insanity attached to it is mainly sci-fi bullshit.
*Citation Needed

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Also: @zemerick why do you think that Quantum Physics and Gravity can't exist together? Quantum Physics is just a more specialized field of Physics. Quantum is derived from the word Quanta, meaning single.*
So Quantum Physics is just Physics but less diverse. My understanding is that it is based around the fact that light has mass and all the insanity attached to it is mainly sci-fi bullshit.
*Citation Needed
You said [Citation Needed] and xkcd in the same post, so... http://xkcd.com/285/

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
*Citation Needed
in the theories current form of the Standard Model quantum gravity is not renormalizable. Meaning we have infinities turning up in places where they shouldn't, and we can't fix them with renormalization. Renormalization is what got the other 3 forces (electromagnetism, weak, and strong) to work with quantum field theory. To combine the electro-weak-strong force (they were combined in some theory) and quantum gravity it would need to be renormalizable

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
a) you are so so so wrong...first of all it implies that we are in a 12-dimensional universe. Second it makes quantum gravity renormalizable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renormalization) which is HUGE.
b) thanks

That should be n-dimensional space where n is greater than I believe 9, since there are multiple string theories with many different possibilities for the number of dimensions.

in the theories current form of the Standard Model quantum gravity is not renormalizable. Meaning we have infinities turning up in places where they shouldn't, and we can't fix them with renormalization. Renormalization is what got the other 3 forces (electromagnetism, weak, and strong) to work with quantum field theory. To combine the electro-weak-strong force (they were combined in some theory) and quantum gravity it would need to be renormalizable

Put simply, you get really weird infinites when trying to combine the 2. I don't remember the exact ones, but it would be the equivalent of having infinite direction. It just does not make sense.

*Citation Needed

I didn't say Quantum Physics and Gravity can't exist together, but rather that the theories describing them do not work together. The problem is that they most certainly do exist together, meaning something somewhere in our theories is wrong. This is especially puzzling because both General/Special Relativity ( which describes Gravity ) and Quantum Mechanics have been tested to absolutely mind boggling accuracy, and both appear correct.

QM does not say photons have mass. We are pretty sure they are massless in fact, and it is required to travel at the speed of light. ( Interestingly, being massless also demands that you do travel at the speed of light. ) In fact, photons having a rest mass would actually break Quantum Mechanics. Of course, as I mentioned, there's something wrong somewhere between QM and Relativity, so there's always the possibility that's all wrong.

Depending on what "insanity" you're talking about, it usually is a real part of QM. It's a very weird system, and is why it is described separate from the "Classical" systems of every day life.

I highly recommend "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of The Cosmos" by Brian Greene. There are PBS specials of both books, but naturally the books go into a little more detail. In fact, watching the videos and books both is best thanks to the visuals of the show, and detail of the books. They are all made for the general public, with virtually no math involved.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That should be n-dimensional space where n is greater than I believe 9, since there are multiple string theories with many different possibilities for the number of dimensions.
In 12 dimensions (11 spatial and 1 time) the 5 different theories collapse into one. this makes it preferred
I highly recommend "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of The Cosmos" by Brian Greene. There are PBS specials of both books, but naturally the books go into a little more detail. In fact, watching the videos and books both is best thanks to the visuals of the show, and detail of the books. They are all made for the general public, with virtually no math involved.
seconded

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
do you not like physics?

I prefer mustelids.

3027095224_5e2c6cdb1e.jpg

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
In 12 dimensions (11 spatial and 1 time) the 5 different theories collapse into one. this makes it preferred

Preferred, yes, actual: Unknown. Also, there are more than just 5, and some of them require in excess of 20 spatial dimensions. String Theory, the next big headache in Physics:)

Love them in the physics threads :p This particular thread, I keep an eye on in case someone has interesting RotaryCraft related info.

Off-topic is what keeps large threads alive during these gaps in information though.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Preferred, yes, actual: Unknown. Also, there are more than just 5, and some of them require in excess of 20 spatial dimensions. String Theory, the next big headache in Physics:)
true, but 20 spatial dimensions makes things icky. Thus they are not what most use. However, they do exist soooo. And yes it is unknown, but then we could just argue Solipsism and everything being unknown

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
true, but 20 spatial dimensions makes things icky. Thus they are not what most use. However, they do exist soooo. And yes it is unknown, but then we could just argue Solipsism and everything being unknown

Indeed. I guess what I meant more so is that we don't yet have any evidence for String Theory, especially not any specific one, so for now I personally hold them relatively equal. I think QM showed pretty well that just because something is "icky", doesn't mean it'll be wrong. Hopefully soon though we can start really weeding some of them out, and maybe even start finding evidence for a specific one.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed. I guess what I meant more so is that we don't yet have any evidence for String Theory, especially not any specific one, so for now I personally hold them relatively equal. I think QM showed pretty well that just because something is "icky", doesn't mean it'll be wrong. Hopefully soon though we can start really weeding some of them out, and maybe even start finding evidence for a specific one.
yes for sure we have no experimental evidence, and if we CERN doesn't provide evidence of supersymmetry soon we will be in a crisis.