What's new in modded minecraft today?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if i should post this on mod news, but we got some news from XComp:
http://binarymage.com/2014/01/26/on-minecraft-modpacks-now/

Does anyone know if this mean that packs like monster will not be allowed to be shipped with Mystcraft anymore?

He is just clearing things up for the people that constantly message him wanting to use it.[DOUBLEPOST=1393974647][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, xcomp is completly correct in this. Modpacks like Monster will be simplistic to do once 1.7 rolls up, and something we are going to move away from. As far as @Jadedcat and I are concerned, we want to build more packs with the depth of Magic Farm and Blood N Bones, though maybe not with the difficulty.
Originally, Horizons was going to receive the type of recipe rewrite and balancing I've done to BnB, but I left that aside because it can't really be done when we advertise all the packs as completely modifiable. This will probably not be the case moving forward.
I would rather spend the time putting together a pack that people say, "wow, this feels like a completely new experience!" Something with depth. Something that steps up the game.

I am looking forward to spending all the time we have been wasting on ID's on making new and unique packs. We can leave the "all the things" packs to the user since ID's won't be an issue anymore.

The problem is that packs like BnB and Magic Farm are mostly for single player and don't work so well on servers, since we have many people with different styles and not all will like and want to play on what those specialized packs can offer.

That would make sense... if there weren't quite a few very large MF2 servers. It works great as a civilization building server pack or as a competition for resources pack.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Looking forward to the changes with IDs in 1.7. I've got a mod pack that I share with a few others privately, and the ID stuff takes way too much time to resolve, even with all the assistance with Forge.
I see a mod that has updated, I don't jump with joy, but groan with despair thinking of what new conflicts I'm going to get...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I am looking forward to spending all the time we have been wasting on ID's on making new and unique packs. We can leave the "all the things" packs to the user since ID's won't be an issue anymore.
Well, if it was just a matter of IDs, then sure. Anyone could just dump a bunch of mods together in 1.7 then. But putting these packs together is so much more than just making the IDs match up isn't it? There is still the matter of configs and balancing. Removing duplicate ores etc. Setting up the right combination of crafting recipes depending on the mods used etc. Bugfixing. Research for updates for mods.
I think this is out of the reach of most of the common users of the "all the things" packs. I know it is for me. Yes I might be able to throw something together, but it would be buggy and crappy and probably crash my world(which I absolutely DREAD!). So there would still be a need for the "all the things" packs IMO. After all it also seems to be what the majority of players on this forum is interested in playing.

I know Eyamaz have indicated that these "all the things" packs were not really what you guys were interested in making. But instead of choosing to stop making them altogether(which would be a shame, since you have been making them so well for so long), might it not be better to try and find someone to help with those particular packs so you guys could focus more on what really interests you?

Would be afraid of a discontinuation of the "all the things" packs to lead to a mass exodus of players towards some other supplier of a lower quality, in which I would be forced to follow :(

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The real issue really isn't the "all the things" packs themselves. It the number of cross mod exploits and the fact that many players just can't run them. Just look at the amount of time Monster has had to remain in beta.
Idk. I'm not totally disregarding doing one, but... I'll leave that decision till after we start 1.7. If we do, it definitely won't be the "flag ship" pack this time around. There is a reason Ultimate is the most popular pack, and it's not because it's an "all the things pack."

QuantumBlade

Jul 29, 2019
No, xcomp is completly correct in this. Modpacks like Monster will be simplistic to do once 1.7 rolls up, and something we are going to move away from. As far as @Jadedcat and I are concerned, we want to build more packs with the depth of Magic Farm and Blood N Bones, though maybe not with the difficulty.
Originally, Horizons was going to receive the type of recipe rewrite and balancing I've done to BnB, but I left that aside because it can't really be done when we advertise all the packs as completely modifiable. This will probably not be the case moving forward.
I would rather spend the time putting together a pack that people say, "wow, this feels like a completely new experience!" Something with depth. Something that steps up the game.

Is a pack centered on Rotarycraft something you would ever consider?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bevo

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
To center the pack around Rotarycraft, I would want to do a "Realism" style pack to keep with @Reika theme of the mod. That's very slim pickings in mods. I don't think I could the way I would want to atm.
Yeah this might be the biggest culprit right now :rolleyes:

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I could dig a pack that was all reikas mods heavily modified te3 engineers toolbox and some sprinkle mods. Maybe tfc too...

dmillerw

Jul 29, 2019
New Mod by dmillerw: Chests+ V2

Its basically just coloured chests and some extra chest textures (like glass texture)

According to the comments inventory upgrades are planned
One note on the chests with textures, those are actually dynamic chests, and take on the texture of ANY block applied to it, not just glass/wool :)

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you've seen it before, but this (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...0-new-physics-temperature-hydration-and-more/) might be something to have a look at.
The Sanity Meter from Eternal Darkness. Iv'e missed you![DOUBLEPOST=1393999078][/DOUBLEPOST]
One note on the chests with textures, those are actually dynamic chests, and take on the texture of ANY block applied to it, not just glass/wool :)
That's neat. Definitely adds that extra detail to any base/cave/hole. :D

Reactions: Not_Steve

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
To center the pack around Rotarycraft, I would want to do a "Realism" style pack to keep with @Reika theme of the mod. That's very slim pickings in mods. I don't think I could the way I would want to atm.
applied thermodynamics could be fun for that pack. hope he's still working on it.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft 4.1.0f just released with bunch of bug fixes and small changes

4.1.0f
- API: crop definitions via IMC now require [OreDictionary.WILDCARD_VALUE] instead of [-1] as a wildcard value.
- creating an arcane worktable with a staff won't auto-insert the staff into it anymore
- the runic armor Energetic augment now increases the total regen speed, not just for the augmented piece. The more pieces with this augment, the greater the bonus.
- bone bow can now be held properly
- bone bow can now accept the repair enchant
- fiddled some more with the focus-wheel cursor
- magic mirrors will try to reestablish the link if one of them is moved by strange methods
- fixed fall damage reduction for boots of the traveller and upgrades
- infusion matrix will not increase essentia costs for missing essentia
- fixed wisp spawners in hilltip ruins
- primal focus now respects the mobgriefing rule
- changed some aspect combos to improve aspect balance
- changed aspects some blocks and items contain for the same reason
- numerous bugfixes, enhancements and additions
- fixed bellows not applying their speed bonus to infernal furnaces
- improved disappearing cursor issues - alas the "wand" cursor was lost in the process
- after warding or unwarding a block there will be a half second period during which it cannot be warded or unwarded again to prevent accidentally doing it twice.
- made it a bit more obvious when you run out of ink in the research table

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Not sure if i should post this on mod news, but we got some news from XComp:
http://binarymage.com/2014/01/26/on-minecraft-modpacks-now
That's ridiculous. Is XComp going to veto on whether he likes my modpack idea? Do all modpacks containing Mystcraft have to conform to his idea if what nodpacks should be? Does he have time for that? An "all the things" pack is the kind that is most in need of Mystcraft. I disagree with his premise. I find that packs like Magic Farm 2 are great fun for a while, but I am yearning for all the things.

Last edited: