What's new in modded minecraft today?

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
@slowpoke mentioned on Reddit that Forestry is now Open Source :D

From that thread:
Forestry was already pretty much abandoned.
The switch to a visible source model is largely an attempt to breathe new life into the mod and bring some new people in to help maintain and improve it.
If there is no one out there willing to contribute to the project, then it might as well die.
However, there is no need for anyone to "take it over" because the current project is setup so that such people can help maintain and improve on it as it currently exists within the framework of the ForestryMC project.
If someone comes along with the drive to work on it, a compatible viewpoint, and proven skill, I'm sure they would be readily accepted and given commit access. It happened to me and several others after all. ;)

That was covertJaguar, one of the contributors. Did not make for optimistic reading for me :(

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
CJ has too much on his plate, combined with the overall trend of "dislike" of the new multifarms, it's not surprising it's hard to be motivated to work on that mod.
Thanks to Mohjang and it's development cycle of Minecraft, maintaining mods is more like a full time job, not a part time hobby.
Either someone new will pick up the mantle, or it will leave a hole, which someone else may fill with a new mod.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Which is about it. It's open but you can't redistribute modified copies nor derivatives. People have different takes on what "open source" means. It's a general statement that needs more explanation when making a public announcement like that.
I understand what open source means but once a mod is open source I can access variables and classes I could not previously access allowing me to edit things like recipes and even machine functionality. But what I want to do most is access the bees files so I can make my own type of bees with completely different functionality.

squeek502

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently there are some more undocumented changes: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/24lsm4/psa_undocumented_changes_in_tinkers_construct/

That Luck part has always bothered me, finally its fixed :D
To be clear, those undocumented changes were introduced in TiCon v1.5.5, not v1.5.5.5. I just took a while to get around to writing the post. I was also partially wrong about the lapis change and made the following edit:
(EDIT: Turns out this was a bug fix. Looting and fortune could be added to the same tool pre-1.5.5 if you increased the Luck modifier through use. This change allows to you get both enchants when applying lapis to a tool in a Tool Station).

pretty much this... modpack developers often try to keep the mod count as low as possible, and I'm expecting you'll probably make more mods, so if you'd combine them all in 1 mod with configuration option there'll be a very good chance your mods will be used in more modpacks.

it's also easier for the user to install your mod, because it'd be 1 mod, which is 1 download and only 1 file to drop in the mods folder
I'll definitely consider it if I make more small utility mods. For now I'm going to keep them separate, though.

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that bees are too big a part of Forestry and could be broken down into a separate mod to be expanded upon, as someone who's always wanted to use bees but never got around to it, I'd like more entry tier things and more depth than just adding more species of living things (ie. trees and butterflies) whenever things get stale. I admit the trees system fits in perfectly and expands the game a lot, but it doesn't feel like the Forestry I play.

Then again, the best thing Forestry could have right now is native RF support.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently "EnderAmmunition" was taken down, possibly as a result of copied textures. For those still interested, here are some links:

Reddit Post:Here
Github:Here
Download:Here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently "EnderAmmunition" was taken down, possibly as a result of copied textures. For those still interested, here are some links:

Reddit Post:Here
Github:Here
Download:Here

copying other people's work isn't a bad thing, as long as you've permission
it got taken down before I could see it, but I'm putting my money on that they didn't receive permission from the IC2 developers

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
copying other people's work isn't a bad thing, as long as you've permission
it got taken down before I could see it, but I'm putting my money on that they didn't receive permission from the IC2 developers

I agree 100% with your first remark. :)
After all, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. All (successful!) camouflage in nature occurs when organism X copies itself to look like a bigger entity Y. As to the second part, maybe they didn't get permission beforehand, but so what? It's not like Messrs alkabalka (sorry, unintended typo) albalka and Co., commissioned Andy Warhol to make those textures after paying him 1000 of dollars? Le sigh! Come on you big mods! Be magnanimous!

But if it's just textures that are an issue,
then I say, it's a matter of
get @DZCreeper to the rescue!

:)

EDIT: part sentence got deleted, now re-added!
EDIT 2: no offence is intended to to people like siriusking who help with the ic2 textures. My remark about warhol etc was a tongue-in-cheek remark, as to not to get too serious around these things.

Last edited:

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Copying in my opinion is the most douchebagirish thing you can do to someone. If someone makes something nice and original. Than mister comes around, says. I CAN MAKE THIS FOR POWERSYSTEM B! And copies. Its a dick move. No matter what. I mean atleast change the textures :c

Reactions: Padfoote

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Copying in my opinion is the most douchebagirish thing you can do to someone. If someone makes something nice and original. Than mister comes around, says. I CAN MAKE THIS FOR POWERSYSTEM B! And copies. Its a dick move. No matter what. I mean atleast change the textures :c

Very briefly,
  1. You have the right to to your view, which differs from mine (radically). Conversely, I do not agree with your view at all (10000xxxx%).
  2. I also have not changed my view on my first typed thoughts. But suffice to say, I have made my thoughts known, and I am not going to defend myself any more on this.
  3. Now we both understand each other well.

Hopefully, someone will help them with new textures (which, tbh, isn't everyone's cup of tea), and the addon sees the light of day, just like Simply Jetpacks.

Reactions: RedBoss

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
Just to note... vanilla textures are 16x16. No so much space to toy with. Most mods that add armors are just remixing vanilla armor. And ic2 dev are just dicks. Recent drama with jetpacks mod. Now, drama about textures. I would understand that if they would write ic2 as a standalone game, but since it's based on paid game and open source framework (forge) it's kinda odd for me that they keep code closed and are making such situations. On other hand I don't get why all mods are not on github repos. That would help so much in forge learning process. Maybe I am letting some frustration off, cause I am trying to write a forge mod, but it seems that documentation and tutorials are limited. Looking at MMMPS gave me more than watching 2 whole series of tutorials. I just don't get why there is no decent documentation for forge. Either documentation, or open sourced mods would help a lot.
I am still amused that most of the texturepacks are licensed on cc no-derivative. It's just bad for creation of new awesome work. Recently I did encounter Conquest resource texture pack. I liked some of the textures, some other textures were for my taste off. Also all that jazz with meta blocks. In modded minecraft I don't relly need it, so time that game does spent on loading meta blocks textures could be spent on loading mods textures. I would really be so happy if there would be modular texturepacks. You like dirt/cobble/stone/gravel for A, get it! You like trees textures from B, get it!. I know that it's possible to do on your hard drive, but a more automated process and way to share your creation would be so nice.