What's new in modded minecraft today?

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Some news about Mekanism.
aidancbrady said:
The Fixing of Bugs
This week has been a week of fixes (and a little content as well).

Last week I mentioned that there were two main caveats of the current Mekanism 1.7 build – the first being the strange rendering of cables, and the second being the temporary removal of NEI. Both of these issues ended up turning into hours of troubleshooting for me, which I will detail below.

Strange Rendering of Cables

Look at this.

That doesn’t look right, does it? Something is…off. Like the entire model is inside out. Or like the textures are all flipped. Yeah, it turns out this is a known issue in 1.7.2, and was fixed in 1.7.4 (like I mentioned before).

Anyway, I spoke to ChickenBones about this, and we ended up finding a workaround that involved using his library to take a two faced copy of the model and render both at the same time. Not very efficient, but it works for now.

Removal of NEI

There’s a bit more too this than “it wasn’t ready yet.” I wasn’t able to get the build script to run properly with the latest Forge and NEI installed, so I was putting this off until I updated.

Well, upon updating Forge, the script failed, stating that it was unable to reference some classes that were added with the new simpleimpl Netty wrapper system. After troubleshooting on the #ForgeGradle IRC channel for a solid two hours or so, I was about ready to give up. That’s when I realized that the log only was spitting out this error for 8 out of my 26 packet classes, and I found that there was a pattern – the error only occurred on my packet classes that had enums nested inside. In other words, I found a bug with the javac compiler. Probably the strangest issue I’ve ever encountered, and I’m going to report it to Oracle as soon as I get a chance. I fixed the issue by taking the enums out of the nested classes.

With the fixes of these two issues, 1.7 is now technically more stable than the current 1.6 branch – this means that a release will be pretty soon. I also have a few new features in the works :)

Hope you all are enjoying the summer, I sure am.
-aidancbrady

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that ender generators have got a major nerf in the newer version of XU, as shown here. That is 8 ender pearls worth of power, lasting a little more than a quarter of the time one ender pearl lasts for in the newer versions. This is from Forgecraft, however, so may be subject to change.

Reactions: YX33A

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It seems that ender generators have got a major nerf in the newer version of XU, as shown here. That is 8 ender pearls worth of power, lasting a little more than a quarter of the time one ender pearl lasts for in the newer versions. This is from Forgecraft, however, so may be subject to change.
Woops, sounds a bit like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Under the assumption that it has changed, I wonder if its configurable? This sort of balance issue is not properly achievable in a modpack unless its configurable. (Anyone with MFR will tell you that ender pearls are stupidly easy to get)

C

chbachman

That is true but he buffed the availability of ender pearls by making the ender core a plantable block that speeds up growth dramatically for ender lilies. He also lets you use Ender Lily Seeds to power it which give you a long time of power, so I think that it balances out in the end.

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
That is true but he buffed the availability of ender pearls by making the ender core a plantable block that speeds up growth dramatically for ender lilies. He also lets you use Ender Lily Seeds to power it which give you a long time of power, so I think that it balances out in the end.
Ender Cores and Enderlily Seeds are useable for farming and powergen in the 1.6.4 versions of XU.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
That's "whats new in vanilla minecraft". This thread is for modded.
You don't have mods if you don't have vanilla. I'd say new worldgen, blocks and mobs are very important since that's the stuff that ends up being modded.

For example, Thaumcraft:
  • New items will have to be entered with corresponding research points. (Or not as was the case with hardened clay.
  • New mobs will have research aspects associated
  • New item drops may be used to craft new or existing items
  • Dungeon loot may need to be added to the worldgen structures
  • A new aquatic focus in vanilla could open new opportunities for aquatic tools, weapons, or armor
  • Will nodes need to spawn under water? Can they?
Sometimes new vanilla content won't allow for modding, like the challenges with horses. But hey, weren't horses brought into vanilla from mods? Pistons and vanilla enderchests also come from mods. Vanilla is the canvas upon which mods paint the works we play with. While the minuscule details may not be that important, worldgen, blocks, mods, or under the hood changes like item IDs are all modded news worthy.

Fixided

Jul 29, 2019
DiyoTweaks is my personal tweak mod that I've been using to make the game more interesting. Some things it makes harder, others easier, and some are just for fun.

As this is my personal mod, the version of Minecraft that it's for is related to my Let's Play series. Some of the tweaks are on by default; others are not. The defaults represent what I feel should happen on a regular server or in the game itself.

What can be tweaked?
Hunger - There are two ways you can go about this: Tweaking and Disable
* Tweaked hunger can set how much food is depleted for heart healing, maximum hunger bar size, regeneration level, and whether you always regenerate health or not.
* Disabled hunger is alpha-style hunger. It has a setting for the maximum amount a single food can heal you.

Crosshair
* An alternate crosshair is added for ranged weapons. It looks like a target and can be changed with resource packs. A list exists to add ranged items to it.

Classic Mechanics - Want to bring back that alpha or beta feel and still have your mods work? Now you (somewhat) can!
* Revert vanilla armor to protect based on the amount it's damaged. This only affects vanilla armor, not mods.
* Zombies drop feathers instead of flesh
* Fire will eat forests
* TNT explodes when punched

Mob Behavior
* Zombies have a few tweaks, including baby spawns, reinforcements, and whether they can set players on fire. This doesn't work at all with Zombie Awareness installed.
* Endermen won't pick up blocks
* Creepers will choose to go after an attacker if they're closer than the current target
* Mob can be jockeys. Slime towers ho!

Gameplay
* Nametags have a recipe
* Animals drop bones when slaughtered on peaceful
* Experience orbs drop from more things. Say... zombies burning in the sun?
* Alternatively, experience can be disabled.
* Animals drop minimum amounts of leather, feathers, etc
* In soviet russia, rotten flesh eats you!
* More items are stackable
* Poison damage interval
* Sugar cane height is configurable. Set it to 20 for towers of sugar!

Rendering
* Fancy grass is forced on
* The HUD is altered for disabled hunger or experience

If you need pictures, here's a couple:
iydIZAw.png

YrFkXoE.png

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if anyone follows my twitter page, but these Portable Tanks are new in Mekanism:
9a08f66a20.png

They're set to be in Mekanism v7 which we should be seeing in the next few weeks alongside a collection of other awesome new features. Hopefully this will make up for the delayed update :)

Fixided

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if anyone follows my twitter page, but these Portable Tanks are new in Mekanism:
9a08f66a20.png

They're set to be in Mekanism v7 which we should be seeing in the next few weeks alongside a collection of other awesome new features. Hopefully this will make up for the delayed update :)
How much mb/buckets can a single tank hold?

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
9a08f66a20.png

Will Mekanism v7 be for 1.6 or 1.7?

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
How much mb/buckets can a single tank hold?
14 buckets. You can also use the tank as a bucket itself - shift-right click the ground to place a bucket's worth of water on the ground, and right-click a liquid block to pick it up.[DOUBLEPOST=1403139312][/DOUBLEPOST]
Will Mekanism v7 be for 1.6 or 1.7?
1.7. 1.6 is too hard to maintain now due to other developers halting development.

Fixided

Jul 29, 2019
14 buckets. You can also use the tank as a bucket itself - shift-right click the ground to place a bucket's worth of water on the ground, and right-click a liquid block to pick it up.[DOUBLEPOST=1403139312][/DOUBLEPOST]
1.7. 1.6 is too hard to maintain now due to other developers halting development.
I was just about to say it does seem a little redundant because so many other mods have tanks too.
But that bucket-like ability is a really neat idea.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
I was just about to say it does seem a little redundant because so many other mods have tanks too.
But that bucket-like ability is a really neat idea.
Thanks! I forgot to mention that it also has a GUI with I/O fluid container slots that allow it to automatically fill and empty buckets placed inside - since it's also compatible with ISidedInventory, it can automate your bucket management too.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
Oh thank god my favorite mod is nearly 1.7 ready. Having to substitute Mekanism with a mod I had stopped using a while ago (buildcraft) just made me sad.