What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zurrgle

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best way to turn steam into power?

I've just started FTB and I have just got myself 2 HP boilers.

Also how do you all get huge MFR farms? Mine are only 3x3.

dutchwarbandit

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best way to turn steam into power?

I've just started FTB and I have just got myself 2 HP boilers.

Also how do you all get huge MFR farms? Mine are only 3x3.
there are range upgrades. the bigest one is a emerald upgrade it exend the range white 11 block on every side

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get why so many people are boiler addicts: the only time I ever used one I just powered it with a wither skeleton spawner (though i'm limited to SSP, that's part of the reason I guess). Are they really that good?

Unfortunately my epic nuclear setup is on my laptop world, I can't post a picture of it yet :(

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Do Boilers need to be re-heated every time you log back on to SSP? What about if it's chunk loaded?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Do Boilers need to be re-heated every time you log back on to SSP? What about if it's chunk loaded?
Its not that, they retain their hear and everything, its just the heatup time is impractical for a big boiler when it isn't running 24/7.

Zurrgle

Jul 29, 2019
there are range upgrades. the bigest one is a emerald upgrade it exend the range white 11 block on every side

Ah, OK. Is that update in the latest ultimate pack? I just googled it and say some people saying it wasn't a little while back.

I don't get why so many people are boiler addicts: the only time I ever used one I just powered it with a wither skeleton spawner (though i'm limited to SSP, that's part of the reason I guess). Are they really that good?

Unfortunately my epic nuclear setup is on my laptop world, I can't post a picture of it yet :(

The main reason I'm doing it is because of the amount of resources it takes to use.. which is a lot. So it's fun to get them all powered.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Good lord.

It's... beautiful.

I'd like to second, third and fourth that. Damn![DOUBLEPOST=1367673055][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its not that, they retain their hear and everything, its just the heatup time is impractical for a big boiler when it isn't running 24/7.

Its only a little over 5 hours for the largest hp boiler. I use them all the time in sp too. And they start producing energy at 100 degrees so you dont have to wait long at all.

I tend to build a lot of them, especially in smp, because they're just so cool IMHO.

Reactions: Mash

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That's the point, you want it to run 247. It and 29 others.

Along with your AE, lava fabricators, lava centrifuges, copper plate benders, dense plate compressors, obsidian extruders, obsidian pulverizers, obsidian dust electrolyzers, wither grinders, coal pulverizers, coal chunk compressors, witch grinders, redstone centrifuges, chrome electrolyzers, ender grinders, berilium electrolyzers and so on and so forth.

You just want some things to run nonstop. What is a 5 hour heat-up time in the face of months building something truly monumental?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What I'm curious about is how much fuel is needed to heat the boiler before switching to a renewable resource. I might need to make one, but I'm wondering if just using diesel generators would be better.

I'll post a power room sometime anyhow, shouldn't take long to finish.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
What I'm curious about is how much fuel is needed to heat the boiler before switching to a renewable resource. I might need to make one, but I'm wondering if just using diesel generators would be better.

I'll post a power room sometime anyhow, shouldn't take long to finish.
Check out the boiler fuel calculator. For example, it takes roughly 54 1/2 stacks of Coal Coke to fully warm up a 36HP boiler.

EDIT: link fixed

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here's my nuclear setup. The first picture shows the reactors themselves, which are controlled by RP logic gates (because i'm completely inept with anything to do with computers, including CC). The reactors are set up like this.

The second pictures shows some of the reactors that act as coolers for the hot cooling cells (there are 42 in total), which are configured like this.

I haven't done any maths, so I have no idea whether or nor this beast was cheaper than just making a whole bunch of mark 1 reactors (I suspect probably not), but it has zero running costs, and much higher efficiency than a normal mark 1 setup. If you've never seen a nuclear setup like this before, then the concept if similar to DW20's reactor (if you've seen it), except I don't blow 1/3 of the eu on making lapis. It also makes a LOT more eu/t: 7680 eu/t to be precise.

I wish I could've done an aerial picture, but its too much effort to destroy & rebuild the ceiling.

Attachments

• 2013-05-05_13.54.12.png
    2013-05-05_13.54.12.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 363
  • 2013-05-05_13.54.40.png
    2013-05-05_13.54.40.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 335

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here's my nuclear setup. The first picture shows the reactors themselves, which are controlled by RP logic gates (because i'm completely inept with anything to do with computers, including CC). The reactors are set up like this.

The second pictures shows some of the reactors that act as coolers for the hot cooling cells (there are 42 in total), which are configured like this.

I haven't done any maths, so I have no idea whether or nor this beast was cheaper than just making a whole bunch of mark 1 reactors (I suspect probably not), but it has zero running costs, and much higher efficiency than a normal mark 1 setup. If you've never seen a nuclear setup like this before, then the concept if similar to DW20's reactor (if you've seen it), except I don't blow 1/3 of the eu on making lapis. It also makes a LOT more eu/t: 7680 eu/t to be precise.

I wish I could've done an aerial picture, but its too much effort to destroy & rebuild the ceiling.
Unless I'm missing something obvious, doesn't it take about 6 cooling towers to keep up with a single one of those reactors? That's an absolutely enormous initial investment (not to mention the reflectors). CASUCs might chew through lapis, but it will take a very long time for that UU cost to pass the cost of your system.

I currently run 5 cheap CASUCs that each produce 512 EU/t (I use this design because it produces exactly HV current) at the cost of 35 lapis every cycle (overall efficiency of 4.38). It runs on thorium, so those cycles are 5x longer than uranium. All 5 are supported by a single breeder.

Also, your ongoing costs aren't 0, it costs 40 copper plates (320 copper) per cycle to make your quad uranium cells. Dual/quad thorium cells just use ingots instead of plates so in the time one of your reactors has spent 1280 copper, one of mine has spent 30 copper and 35 lapis. Of course, one of your reactors also generates almost 400 EU/t more than mine, but even if I used 2 of my reactors to each of yours, that'd only be 60 copper and 70 lapis.

EDIT: Fixed copper numbers in last bit, forgot you had to make 2 duals per quad. Didn't really affect the ratio, but it was still off.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I'm missing something obvious, doesn't it take about 6 cooling towers to keep up with a single one of those reactors? That's an absolutely enormous initial investment (not to mention the reflectors). CASUCs might chew through lapis, but it will take a very long time for that UU cost to pass the cost of your system.

I currently run 5 cheap CASUCs that each produce 512 EU/t (I use this design because it produces exactly HV current) at the cost of 35 lapis every cycle (overall efficiency of 4.38). It runs on thorium, so those cycles are 5x longer than uranium. All 5 are supported by a single breeder.

Also, your ongoing costs aren't 0, it costs 40 copper plates (320 copper) per cycle to make your quad uranium cells. Dual/quad thorium cells just use ingots instead of plates so in the time one of your reactors has spent 1280 copper, one of mine has spent 30 copper and 35 lapis. Of course, one of your reactors also generates almost 400 EU/t more than mine, but even if I used 2 of my reactors to each of yours, that'd only be 60 copper and 70 lapis.

EDIT: Fixed copper numbers in last bit, forgot you had to make 2 duals per quad. Didn't really affect the ratio, but it was still off.
It takes about 4.67 coolers per reactor (though with multiple reactors you have to round it up to 5 for 5*8=40, I just used an extra 2 to be safe). Also, with GT copper isn't really an issue (lava centrifuge ftw).

By the way, I don't know if you were aware, but in 1.5 thorium & plutonium have been changed. Thorium now only lasts half as long (25000 seconds), but generates 20% less heat, while plutonium generates both more eu/t and more heat than before (value is different depending on the efficiency). Also, the hybrid effect between plutonium & thorium cells is now gone.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
It takes about 4.67 coolers per reactor (though with multiple reactors you have to round it up to 5 for 5*8=40, I just used an extra 2 to be safe). Also, with GT copper isn't really an issue (lava centrifuge ftw).

By the way, I don't know if you were aware, but in 1.5 thorium & plutonium have been changed. Thorium now only lasts half as long (25000 seconds), but generates 20% less heat, while plutonium generates both more eu/t and more heat than before (value is different depending on the efficiency). Also, the hybrid effect between plutonium & thorium cells is now gone.
You mean thorium pings won't affect plutonium anymore? Lame. The whole reason I decided to run my current world on nuclear power was because I liked the challenge. After setting up the automation for my breeder and hybrid reactors, a simple refueling setup seems pretty boring. Except for the extra resource cost, those uranium-fueled Mk. 1 reactors are almost as easy as solar panels/nether lava power. In 1.5 I might end up going with your setup, just so there's some way to make it more complicated. At least my breeder would still be mostly viable with a little tweaking - that was the most fun to properly automate.

Also, with Extra Bees, lapis isn't really an issue. I run my CASUCs off of UU matter/quarry because it's simple, but since the lapis demand is pretty low for that design, I bet a single bee in an alveary could keep the system running.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't, however I have every type of plant and seed crap in my AE storage I believe. I plan on testing automatically feeding a bioreactor, however I'm busy working on automating EVERYTHING in my gregtech/AE building atm.

Here's a sneak peek:

OMSOeEc.jpg

zwxqzHO.jpg

Wow... just... wow. That, building design, sir, is awesome.