What does YOUR Power Room look like?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Man I'm ashamed. I've only ever used lava for power. I feel the need to branch out more, but am unsure where to start. Probably google ;)

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
Man I'm ashamed. I've only ever used lava for power. I feel the need to branch out more, but am unsure where to start. Probably google ;)

Getting started with biomass/biofuel is incredibly easy to do. Not as simple as lava mind you, but still really easy.

Get a tree farm of your choice going, I prefer MFR but Steves carts still does the trick just fine as will forestry. Put the logs into the sawmills from TE to maximize the out put per log. Use excess saplings in fermenters/stills or bioreactors (More complicated, requires more setup.) to produce biofuel. Get a ton of steel ready to set up the boilers (I hop straight to 36hp boilers, expensive and resource hungry at start, but the power generation is nuts.) If you have Power converters, just make a steam consumer, energy bridge, and a producer of your choice (IC2, MJ, Etc) otherwise make a ton of Steam engines based on what type of boiler you made (36hp means you'll need industrials, I think 18 of them. It gets expensive quick.) I'm unsure how much a basic MFR tree farm will power but the carts could power a solid fueled (planks from the sawmills) and a biofuel one (fermenters and stills) and the MFR outputs more if you use fertilizer from cows. (Really easy, get a bunch of cows, replace ground with sewer grates, pump to the block that makes fertlizers, pull out the fertilizer send to tree farm, bam hella trees.) I'm sure 1 3x3 (default) mfr tree farm can probably power 3 or 4 boilers with fertilizer, Maybe more.

Sorry if it isn't clear. That said if you want unique, this isn't it:p Everyone is doing it. Nearly as common as lava probably.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Getting started with biomass/biofuel is incredibly easy to do. Not as simple as lava mind you, but still really easy.

Get a tree farm of your choice going, I prefer MFR but Steves carts still does the trick just fine as will forestry. Put the logs into the sawmills from TE to maximize the out put per log. Use excess saplings in fermenters/stills or bioreactors (More complicated, requires more setup.) to produce biofuel. Get a ton of steel ready to set up the boilers (I hop straight to 36hp boilers, expensive and resource hungry at start, but the power generation is nuts.) If you have Power converters, just make a steam consumer, energy bridge, and a producer of your choice (IC2, MJ, Etc) otherwise make a ton of Steam engines based on what type of boiler you made (36hp means you'll need industrials, I think 18 of them. It gets expensive quick.) I'm unsure how much a basic MFR tree farm will power but the carts could power a solid fueled (planks from the sawmills) and a biofuel one (fermenters and stills) and the MFR outputs more if you use fertilizer from cows. (Really easy, get a bunch of cows, replace ground with sewer grates, pump to the block that makes fertlizers, pull out the fertilizer send to tree farm, bam hella trees.) I'm sure 1 3x3 (default) mfr tree farm can probably power 3 or 4 boilers with fertilizer, Maybe more.

Sorry if it isn't clear. That said if you want unique, this isn't it:p Everyone is doing it. Nearly as common as lava probably.

Awesome, thank you so much! I don't need unique, I just needed a gentle push in a different direction. :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! I seriously need to update my fission reactor, as the old design doesn't work very well any more.

My fission slight updated is push 4K eu/t these days. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1372125228][/DOUBLEPOST]
I need to challenge Saice. I think I can get the same total power efficiency with 1/10th the overall resource investment at the cost of max throughput.

I would like to see this.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm looks like Liara has already started.
2013-06-25_12.24.18.png

Reactions: Saice

19chiodowi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah lol cant post screenshot of my power room but let me just put it this way it makes about 2300 EU per tick with all the various machines most of it is completely automated only thing is i have to kickstart some of my machines if they glitch out and i have about 300-400 cableing and pipes transporting all the liquid and items placed to be turned into EU or MJ and i need to use enderchests or tesseracts soon instead of pipes and wires because my machines are makeing so much lag

Wakoo

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to power my base with Biofuel and then i wanted to try and power it with the smallest farm possible. I tried trees at first but couldn't keep up with all my stuff.

I made this 5x5x4 forestry reed farm with xycraft soil and lilypads of fertility:
NxTk6y9.jpg

in order for it to keep up with all my machines + bee stuff i had to make it faster with more power:
eJ8Wp6X.png

It's supplying power to this room:
uCe97kD.png

And my AE system:
tKUvv6x.png

Bee machines:
zLLofZp.png

The reeds are turned into plant balls and then compressed plant balls to fill these two Biomass tanks:
0ivtKmh.png

Gets turned into Biofuel which powers two 36HP boilers, one on this floor and one below:
7MCqzMC.png

that power 36 steam engines:
Qex44sy.png

I also use the Biofuel to power biogenerators for EU:
YXjU5IC.png

mdy05Xh.png

Reactions: Pokefenn

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
say, which is better? Using the ethanol/biofuel for steam turbines, or using it for biogenerators?

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I have one fir tree farm with a fertilizer.
It produces more saplings than my one bioreactor can process (with only one item type) and is currently feeding 5 bio generators.

say, which is better? Using the ethanol/biofuel for steam turbines, or using it for biogenerators?

It doesn't really matter much, if you have as much of it as I do.
I use biogenerators because they're cheaper.

Reactions: KirinDave

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
A pen with a bunch of cows produces fertilizer.
Well I feel stupid. I didn't know you could produce fertilizer through any other means than the recipe, so my rarely-fertilized carrot farm was holding up my biomass production (I'm using the Plugins for Forestry mod to turn carrots into vegetable juice, which works like apple juice in the Fermenter, mostly due to a lack of actual apples from my treefarm).

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019

I'd always heard that the biogenerator is terrible for EU production. At least, the wiki says it is. Even the wiki says to use the magma crucible/thermal generator combination.

The Steam turbine isn't much better, only producing 225 EU/t. But costing over 700 ingots of steel to make, plus 297 ingots every 4-5 days.

If you have power converters, that is much better, giving you 350 EU/t, and is extremely cheap.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
I'd always heard that the biogenerator is terrible for EU production. At least, the wiki says it is. Even the wiki says to use the magma crucible/thermal generator combination.

The Steam turbine isn't much better, only producing 225 EU/t. But costing over 700 ingots of steel to make, plus 297 ingots every 4-5 days.

If you have power converters, that is much better, giving you 350 EU/t, and is extremely cheap.

Isn't it 200? Have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of Power converters, it's just too cheap compared to the other alternatives and feels kinda ...cheaty, I guess, but that's just my opinion.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Still better than pumping infinite lava from Nether or spawning infinite enemies that get automatically killed for resources as many people post here.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Still better than pumping infinite lava from Nether or spawning infinite enemies that get automatically killed for resources as many people post here.
Oh, absolutely. I've never used the nether method either. I guess I'm just a sucker for having lots of moving parts in my setup, even if there are better and more efficient ways of doing things.