What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Giant redwood? That's tiny for a rubber tree :)

(do not grow the big ones. Ever. Unless you want your world to by worthless. Or if you're in a throw-away mystcraft age. Or hundreds of chunks away from home. ETc.)

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that a large tree + autosapling mod (automatically plants fallen saplings before they time out) = unintentional (and virtually impossible to remove) forest.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I discovered that a large tree + autosapling mod (automatically plants fallen saplings before they time out) = unintentional (and virtually impossible to remove) forest.
I bet MFR could fix that. I've seen pictures of harvesters reaching far outside of their normal range to chop surprisingly large patches of dense forest, and sometimes leaving stumps behind.

I'd also like to suggest RotaryCraft's Bedrock Axe, which was recently buffed such that it won't crash Minecraft on being used on too large a tree (or chunk of forest), but it will drop all the saplings on the ground- exactly where you don't want them to stay for very long.

You could try flooding the area with lava or Blazing Pyrotheum. Either one will set fire to trees and destroy the drops.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I learned this weekend that: Mekanism is awesome, but with super OP power gen. And OP as hell mining, especially when paired with said power gen.

Reactions: Nisteth

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You know what? This is the time where one misses the wrath igniter from Factorisation.

Reactions: Padfoote

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I bet MFR could fix that. I've seen pictures of harvesters reaching far outside of their normal range to chop surprisingly large patches of dense forest, and sometimes leaving stumps behind.

I'd also like to suggest RotaryCraft's Bedrock Axe, which was recently buffed such that it won't crash Minecraft on being used on too large a tree (or chunk of forest), but it will drop all the saplings on the ground- exactly where you don't want them to stay for very long.

You could try flooding the area with lava or Blazing Pyrotheum. Either one will set fire to trees and destroy the drops.
Ah, forgot to mention this is the Unstable pack in SMP. MFR didn't seem to care about the particular tree (sacred oak), maybe it's not on the list of recognized trees? Or maybe I made some mistake in my setup, don't remember. Pyrotheum, in my experience, just burns straight down until it can't burn any more, and no RoC in this pack (I could add it but not sure if 1.7 RoC is stable yet). We even worked at it with veinminer but just took missing one sapling and another huge tree popped up while we went back to base to unload. I didn't try setting it on fire...mainly because lag, and I liked the forest it was slowly overtaking. :p
I ended up taking autosapling out of my mod list for a while so we could get rid of the mess. Ended up with something like 24,000+ logs...

You know what? This is the time where one misses the wrath igniter from Factorisation.
That...would have been interesting to watch. :D

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that FTB has ruined my enjoyment of vanilla Minecraft. 1.8 came out, I got excited, I flew around in a world for about five minutes, then realized "I can't do this."

Before you jump all over me... I would do it all over again if I had to. FTB (and all the great mods) is worth it. So I'm just gonna pretend there wasn't any 1.8 update and save my excitement for whenever 1.7 FTB comes out.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Ah, forgot to mention this is the Unstable pack in SMP. MFR didn't seem to care about the particular tree (sacred oak), maybe it's not on the list of recognized trees? Or maybe I made some mistake in my setup, don't remember. Pyrotheum, in my experience, just burns straight down until it can't burn any more, and no RoC in this pack (I could add it but not sure if 1.7 RoC is stable yet). We even worked at it with veinminer but just took missing one sapling and another huge tree popped up while we went back to base to unload. I didn't try setting it on fire...mainly because lag, and I liked the forest it was slowly overtaking. :p
I ended up taking autosapling out of my mod list for a while so we could get rid of the mess. Ended up with something like 24,000+ logs...
I would not recommend trying to burn the tree (or take it down with anything that won't automatically collect the items, which RoC's woodcutter might do (haven't tested), MFR harvesters usually do and the axes in EquivalentExchange 2 always do) until you've already covered the ground with something that will destroy the items, which is why I suggested lava or pyrotheum. But, yeah, removing the autosapling mod is probably the easiest way to do it.

DarkHeart

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered a ComputerCraft emulator for my tablet :I

Now to get it to talk to the computers on my server...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that FTB has ruined my enjoyment of vanilla Minecraft. 1.8 came out, I got excited, I flew around in a world for about five minutes, then realized "I can't do this."

Before you jump all over me... I would do it all over again if I had to. FTB (and all the great mods) is worth it. So I'm just gonna pretend there wasn't any 1.8 update and save my excitement for whenever 1.7 FTB comes out.

So much this :(
And I guess I should appreciate all the new stone types, but to me thats just underground biomes sorting/inventory space annoyances all over again.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that EnderIO farms are great: Less hassle to set up than MFR (only one machine, planter doesn't need to be placed awkwardly under the dirt), feels less laggy and no annoying sounds when trees are cut down. Plus the farming regions are actually the same size (important for OCD).

Sounds OP, but balance-wise it's not too bad: subjectively it seems to consume more power than MFR, and you need to be careful with tubing it up (you have to feed saplings/seeds back in, and also fresh hoes and axes).

KaosRitual

Jul 29, 2019
I believe FzAddons makes the wrath igniter work, as long as you are in 1.6.4.
Sidenote, but technically something I discovered: I got the "Long Time No Speak" award today, for posting less than once a day for the past year. I posted 364 times...

Reactions: E_DM_B