What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Ender IO has a lot more content in 1.7 - e.g. with dark steel balls in the SAG mill you get 3-4 ingots and a good amount of byproducts from one ore.
Also, auto-pull and -eject.

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ender IO has a lot more content in 1.7 - e.g. with dark steel balls in the SAG mill you get 3-4 ingots and a good amount of byproducts from one ore.
Also, auto-pull and -eject.
How did I not know about that massive ore multiplication in 1.7. Need to test that tonight, since the SAG mill is in our hardcore game and that would be pretty darn buff.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered the One Ring in a GT 1.7 pack myself last night.(ElectroMagic tools I believe)

I haven't discovered what it does yet, so I'm storing it in a chest till I figure it out.
Did anyone tell you what it does and where it's from? Because I know.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did anyone tell you what it does and where it's from? Because I know.
Well I know where its from thematically :p

And I know where I found it in-game (a chest)

I assume it makes me invisible. I never tested it due to rank cowardice cuz I don't know if it has any weird side effects.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well I know where its from thematically :p

And I know where I found it in-game (a chest)

I assume it makes me invisible. I never tested it due to rank cowardice cuz I don't know if it has any weird side effects.
Mariculture adds it, happy?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Oh man. This one really disappointed me:

You cannot actually multiply certus quartz, nether quartz or fluix crystals indefinitely by growing crystals, because the pure crystals can't be pulverized.
You get two pure crystals from one crystal dust, and you can turn these into regular crystals at a 2:1 ratio (by crafting them into blocks), unless I overlooked something. So you don't gain anything :(

I completely misunderstood this mechanic. It's basically only for doubling the mining output.
Me is a bit sad now. This kind of thing should be highlighted in a spotlight or tutorial.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh man. This one really disappointed me:

You cannot actually multiply certus quartz, nether quartz or fluix crystals indefinitely by growing crystals, because the pure crystals can't be pulverized.
You get two pure crystals from one crystal dust, and you can turn these into regular crystals at a 2:1 ratio (by crafting them into blocks), unless I overlooked something. So you don't gain anything :(

I completely misunderstood this mechanic. It's basically only for doubling the mining output.
Me is a bit sad now. This kind of thing should be highlighted in a spotlight or tutorial.

Wouldn't it be considered a bit exploitative if you could it indefinitely? I'm not sure what kind of crystals you're talking about, so I'm only asking hypothetically.

An infinite loop wouldn't really need highlighting as a typical rule, since otherwise we'd do nothing but highlight the millions of things NOT allowed :)

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
Today I learned that Thermal Expansion 4 has barrels! They're called caches. I love JABBA, but the TE4 caches look pretty neat. There's a "meter" on the front that shows how full the cache is rather than giving you numbers, which, from a user interface design perspective, is pretty cool. You can see the exact number of items in the cache with a multimeter, and the cheapest cache holds 10K items.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what kind of crystals you're talking about, so I'm only asking hypothetically.
I'm talking about Applied Energistics 2

An infinite loop wouldn't really need highlighting as a typical rule, since otherwise we'd do nothing but highlight the millions of things NOT allowed :)
When watching Direwolf's spotlight I got the impression that it would work indefinitely. Maybe Dire himself didn't know at that time.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Learned theres been a major update to Traincraft, with a whole new movement system with larger turns and slopes which is something that mod has needed from the beginning. But I wont be able to add it to my world without deleting the config, which means I will have to start a new world or deal with all sorts of after the fact-id conflicts which I dont like the idea of trying to fix.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Learned theres been a major update to Traincraft, with a whole new movement system with larger turns and slopes which is something that mod has needed from the beginning. But I wont be able to add it to my world without deleting the config, which means I will have to start a new world or deal with all sorts of after the fact-id conflicts which I dont like the idea of trying to fix.
Why do you have to delete the config file? Couldn't you just let the mod add the new items and blocks to your current config file, then fix the ones that happen to conflict, without messing with the others?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow, I think of walking in the snow, not walking on the snow. I have thought that snow in minecraft was just a thin cover on top of another block, and you were walking on that other block -- the snow was just for show. Not actually solid, but like flowers, or sign posts. You walk through it.

But ... A star fissure is supposed to bring you back to the overworld, right? Why should a snow layer on the bottom of the fissure kill you?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow, I think of walking in the snow, not walking on the snow. I have thought that snow in minecraft was just a thin cover on top of another block, and you were walking on that other block -- the snow was just for show. Not actually solid, but like flowers, or sign posts. You walk through it.

But ... A star fissure is supposed to bring you back to the overworld, right? Why should a snow layer on the bottom of the fissure kill you?
That would be something for the Derp thread :D
But snow layers can be thicker than this one layer, so it actually does make sense for them to be solid.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
If you equip a hang glider and flippers from Biomes 'O Plenty (or anything that makes you swim faster) and hold space and shift at the same time, you get really fast water travel. The glider itself is quite useful for underwater movement.

You can tell I like working underwater...

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
If you equip a hang glider and flippers from Biomes 'O Plenty (or anything that makes you swim faster) and hold space and shift at the same time, you get really fast water travel. The glider itself is quite useful for underwater movement.

You can tell I like working underwater...
Even if you just equip it, it works too; that speed is INSANE. Wonder what would happen if you put on both at once?
One time I crashed with the hang glider, though; dunno if it was because I moved too fast or because I was a squid.

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Even if you just equip it, it works too; that speed is INSANE. Wonder what would happen if you put on both at once?
One time I crashed with the hang glider, though; dunno if it was because I moved too fast or because I was a squid.
I'm not quite sure I follow, the flippers aren't that fast. Unless they were nerfed in 1.7, which is what I'm playing in.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not quite sure I follow, the flippers aren't that fast. Unless they were nerfed in 1.7, which is what I'm playing in.
Oh, well: in 1.6, if you equip the flippers as a squid morph, your velocity increases crazily fast. You can't even hardly turn or stop unless you hit something or take them off. The same thing happens with the hang glider. That's why I was wondering what would happen if one were to put both on at once.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
#1.7masterrace

Reactions: RedBoss