What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Something that has changed my life.

Right clicking with a TiCo Pickaxe (Not sure if works with vanilla, haven't tested yet) places a torch if you have one in your inventory.
Thought the torches had to be on your bar for that to work. Or at least it used to. Cool to see it work directly from any inventory slot.

The Gravisuite "Advanced Diamond Drill" has the exact same feature of placing torches from any inventory slot on rightclick(in addition to the big hole mode that makes it function as a Hammer/Excavator(it mines dirt as well as stone by default)). Really handy for freeing up a quickslot for other things/cut down on item juggling.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Thought the torches had to be on your bar for that to work. Or at least it used to. Cool to see it work directly from any inventory slot.

The Gravisuite "Advanced Diamond Drill" has the exact same feature of placing torches from any inventory slot on rightclick(in addition to the big hole mode that makes it function as a Hammer/Excavator(it mines dirt as well as stone by default)). Really handy for freeing up a quickslot for other things/cut down on item juggling.
IIRC, you are correct with the Tinkers' torches. Unless something's changed in the experimental builds or in 1.7.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
The tinker tools, as long as they don't already have a right-click ability (so tools other than swords), will try to place an ItemBlock located in the next slot to the right unless they're in the first slot of your hotbar -- in which case, they'll use what's in the last slot. They do not care what the item is, as long as it can be placed in the world (which is what ItemBlocks are -- blocks that can be put in an inventory).

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
I learned that the stings from forestry bees such as tropicals fresh from the hive are projectiles. I was wearing projectile protection on my pants and noticed it was losing durability.

Reactions: Pyure

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The mana beam from Botania is also a projectile and gets blocked by the Kami robes, even if it's not hitting you. That problem gave me some headache.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Blazing Pyrotheum, when placed in the world, will smelt all nearby blocks.
Or at least turn cobble into stone.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I was playing vanilla and I almost forgot how hard it can be to find nether fortresses without a minimap. I was walking kilometers, marking the path with torches but found absolutely nothing. Even in FTB with a minimap I had problems in some worlds.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Addendum to my previous shenanigans with a microturbine, a 16:1 gearbox and an isotope centrifuge.

Apparently a CVT running at 32:1 speed mode apparently provides too many rad/s for the centrifuge to cope. A little bit of testing shows the progress bar won't move when the gearing ratio goes above 16:1. I could try with other, less speedy engines to see if it's a hard limit but *lazy*.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Addendum to my previous shenanigans with a microturbine, a 16:1 gearbox and an isotope centrifuge.

Apparently a CVT running at 32:1 speed mode apparently provides too many rad/s for the centrifuge to cope. A little bit of testing shows the progress bar won't move when the gearing ratio goes above 16:1. I could try with other, less speedy engines to see if it's a hard limit but *lazy*.
Are you sure it's not just that at 32:1 ratio, the torque produced by microturbine would be 0.5Nm, which can lead to 0Nm if it's rounded down, and 0Nm * any rad/s = 0 watts?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Are you sure it's not just that at 32:1 ratio, the torque produced by microturbine would be 0.5Nm, which can lead to 0Nm if it's rounded down, and 0Nm * any rad/s = 0 watts?

That could very well be the case.

Simple way to check would thus be to add a second micro and merge the torque together before plugging it into the CVT.

Brb, rearranging me toybox :p

UPDATE: Nope. Two micros merged together, transmitting power through a CVT on 32:1 should give 1Nm and 4.1Mrad/s (and thus 4.1MW), but the centrifuge doesn't like it.

UPDATE UPDATE: 4 micros works. Stonkingly fast too :D

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
blame_soarin.png

:p

Reactions: Eruantien

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Someone said that when you use Mek cardboard boxes to move nodes, the nodes reset. I don't remember who it was, or if I ever fact-checked it. It's just what I heard.
Ah, this story again. Has no one but me even tried this?
Worked fine for me since day 1, except for the time I tried to box a node in a silverwood tree. Assuming the same deal would happen if I boxed a node in a obsidian pillar too.
Ruined a seed somehow. Assuming the TE data was really confused since breaking those blocks breaks the node, but if out in the open, no problem.
I only force wrench them if I can afford to do so, anyway.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What we have to look forward to, down the road... much better framerates thanks to a new "Occlusion Culling" algorithm. Posted about the dual-threading improvement last week, now look at this!

@TheMogMiner tweeted a pic about recent performance improvements: "Not a typo"

h05BQfj.png

This appears to be pretty big news. Tweets today say it's been ported from pocket edition to PC, then snapshots, formal release, then the 2-3 month wait for FTB to catch up...

http://twitter.com/_tomcc/status/491133336530997248
http://twitter.com/TheMogMiner/status/491146745758248960

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/2ba783/themogminer_tweeted_a_pic_about_recent/

[-]mojang_tommo 10 points an hour ago*

If you see underground now, there is basically nothing:
before
after

You will still see something that skips through the filter, but xraying wouldn't be nearly as useful as before without tampering the filter itself, it won't work anymore with just a resource pack.

[–]Entropy [score hidden] 34 minutes ago

I'm actually shocked this wasn't being done already. Isn't getting occlusion culling working properly one of the most basic optimizations done for rendering? Like, step 2, after you get frustrum culling working?

[–]mojang_tommo [score hidden] 10 minutes ago

Heh, it wasn't totally obvious, as in Minecraft anything is anything and it's quite hard to tell what should be visible efficiently. In 3 years that the game exists, over 3 different code bases, I've been the first one to actually get this to work, apparently.
Notch originally thought of using Hardware Occlusion Queries (Advanced OpenGL) but that turned out meh, then even outside Mojang I never seen anything actually workable.
Also, the new culling makes chunks heavier to re-render (it has to discover the connections between faces) so it couldn't be done on PC before /u/dinnerbone added threading for chunk rebuilding without getting more stuttering.

Last edited: