What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered just how space inefficient Railcraft tanks are compared to Extra Utilities Drums. 16 buckets per block in Iron tanks, 32 buckets per block on steel tanks, or 256 buckets per one Drum?

Wait, why don't we have Deep storage units for liquids yet?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I discovered just how space inefficient Railcraft tanks are compared to Extra Utilities Drums. 16 buckets per block in Iron tanks, 32 buckets per block on steel tanks, or 256 buckets per one Drum?

This has to be added, totally!
Bedrockium drums basically are fluid DSUs. Each drum stores about three times the volume of a max-size Railcraft steel tank- not nearly as much as an actual DSU filled with void capsules, but quite a lot nonetheless.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard the fluid items in a DSU can act wonky sometimes though. AE2 is supposed to have native fluid support though.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Bedrockium drums basically are fluid DSUs. Each drum stores about three times the volume of a max-size Railcraft steel tank- not nearly as much as an actual DSU filled with void capsules, but quite a lot nonetheless.
I saw them. They're awesome and i can't wait for them.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Technically you only need 2(or 1 with something like Extracells Fluid storage bus) connectors for every 648 RC tank blocks, but you would need 2 on every drum. So even if you can share some connectors with the drums it is not going to be that large a difference as you make it sound like. Still 3-1 maybe for max sized steel tank comparison.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Technically you only need 2(or 1 with something like Extracells Fluid storage bus) connectors for every 648 RC tank blocks, but you would need 2 on every drum. So even if you can share some connectors with the drums it is not going to be that large a difference as you make it sound like. Still 3-1 maybe for max sized steel tank comparison.
I can take 9 drums in a 3x3 with Input pipes on top and output pipes on bottom; This takes a 3x3x3 area to store and holds 2304 Buckets. I can stack these on top of each other, and depending on the pipe it can share input and output piping. So, I can make a 3x3x5(LxWxH) set of drums which hold 4608 buckets, or a 3x3x7 that holds 6912 buckets. Comparing this to a 9x9x8 Steel railcraft tank which holds 20,736 buckets, I can make a set of 9 3x3x7 drum towers (being 9x9x7) hold 62,208 buckets. So, yes about a 3-1, not including that one block height difference, which is actually a pretty substantial difference. Doing this with 1.7 Bedrockium drums holds a massive 3,981,312 buckets.

Reactions: PierceSG and asb3pe

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Today I undid one of my great lazinesses.

Back in 1.4.7 I made a computercraft terminal thingy to have a play about. Having missed the beginning of the microcomputer revolution due to not being in my early 50s, I couldn't work out where to find the application in which to program all the things so I got bored and moved on.

Today I had a dearth of other things to do and went back to a "how to do things with this in simple terms even a mongoloid can understand" tutorial and now it all makes sense. Add to that the fact that lua is basically VB for those with a room temperature IQ, I shall be owning all of your souls within approximately 4 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 4.34 seconds...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Today I undid one of my great lazinesses.

Back in 1.4.7 I made a computercraft terminal thingy to have a play about. Having missed the beginning of the microcomputer revolution due to not being in my early 50s, I couldn't work out where to find the application in which to program all the things so I got bored and moved on.

Today I had a dearth of other things to do and went back to a "how to do things with this in simple terms even a mongoloid can understand" tutorial and now it all makes sense. Add to that the fact that lua is basically VB for those with a room temperature IQ, I shall be owning all of your souls within approximately 4 days, 11 hours, 27 minutes and 4.34 seconds...
Hehe yeah it is very user friendly. I have taken and passed a few basic programming courses at UNI, but never been good at it. Still cant wrap my head around using tables for example :p But in CC I can program cool stuff like touchscreens and turtles with relative ease to do nice little tasks ingame. It is really worth just a little bit of research/time investment.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I can take 9 drums in a 3x3 with Input pipes on top and output pipes on bottom; This takes a 3x3x3 area to store and holds 2304 Buckets. I can stack these on top of each other, and depending on the pipe it can share input and output piping. So, I can make a 3x3x5(LxWxH) set of drums which hold 4608 buckets, or a 3x3x7 that holds 6912 buckets. Comparing this to a 9x9x8 Steel railcraft tank which holds 20,736 buckets, I can make a set of 9 3x3x7 drum towers (being 9x9x7) hold 62,208 buckets. So, yes about a 3-1, not including that one block height difference, which is actually a pretty substantial difference. Doing this with 1.7 Bedrockium drums holds a massive 3,981,312 buckets.

I love math! Bravo!! Still, I feel a tinge of sadness... let us all bow our heads and mourn the Railcraft tank... you served us well, big guy. (sniff)

Reactions: PierceSG

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Would still prefer the looks of a RC tank over a pile of barrels and pipes. Which is enough for me to still use the RC tanks.

Queue youtube video where someone uses the barrel concept, but encases the whole ugly mess in a beautiful looking facade that looks remarkably just like an enormous Railcraft tank filled with the proper fluid. :D

P.S. But I hear ya, rhn...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Queue youtube video where someone uses the barrel concept, but encases the whole ugly mess in a beautiful looking facade that looks remarkably just like an enormous Railcraft tank filled with the proper fluid. :D

Hmm would almost think you were spying on me on my current building project :p
Ethanol production:
Re2D2Lt.png

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019

I don't know, an old "wild west" styled water tower would be pretty cool.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I don't know, an old "wild west" styled water tower would be pretty cool.
Makes me think of Railcraft's water tank... which actually collects water, too. Hmm, anyone know if RC adds blocks that match the water tank texture, and if they can be microblocked? I know it adds decorative blocks for most of its other multiblock blocks (sandy brick, infernal brick, etc.) and that RC concrete has microblock forms, but I haven't checked the other blocks.