What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not really that cool, but I found that a 16:1 diamond gearbox set to speed mode has only a limited tolerance for the power of a microturbine.

I just wish i'd known this before the thing blew itself apart while I was halfway through a cycle on the isotope centrifuge.

And yes, it was lubricated. I'm only mostly a retard, not a complete one :p
I... A 16x gear in speed mode with a Microturbine?! The actual fuck where you thinking? That's 1 Newton Meter of force, but at 2,097,152 radial degrees a second. Over two million.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
I... A 16x gear in speed mode with a Microturbine?! The actual fuck where you thinking? That's 1 Newton Meter of force, but at 2,097,152 radial degrees a second. Over two million.
Actually, that's 120,157,959 degrees per second. Radians are a measurement based on the length of an arc corresponding to an angle on a unit circle (and a unit circle has 2*pi total perimeter). If we're to believe Wikipedia, they could also have been called radials or rads, but "radial degrees" would probably unnecessarily confuse them with that other unit.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
That's about 20,026,334 rpm, which is about 7 million times the rotation speed of a car engine right before automatic gear switch. Seriously, imagine a person spinning that fast...

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered you can transmit RF power over LogisticsPipes, which is pretty awesome, even if it's a bit complex to set up and limited (need a basic LP at any corner, in addition to every 40 gold pipes, and a power transfer upgrade at each LP along the route. It's unfortunately 10,000RF/t total, not 10,000/t/attached machine, though need to see if additional power providers can boost that up.)

Reactions: Pyure

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Yes.

For great justice.

Relatively speaking, it's 8 times the minimum speed needed to run the isotope thingy. I just wanted some...voom?

Oh and, it's 2'097'152 radians/s.

If you want that in degrees, it's about 120 million :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that Haste counters Mining Fatigue, which makes sense, but that means you can swing a cleaver at almost normal speed when wearing Kami boots.
And I didn't know at all that Ender IO machines could be upgraded with capacitors. The alloy smelter isn't awfully slow anymore!

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
I found out just how big the explosion of two industrial coils simultaneously recieving too much power is.

Glad I had the foresight to put those things a good hundred blocks from my base.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I found out just how big the explosion of two industrial coils simultaneously recieving too much power is.

Glad I had the foresight to put those things a good hundred blocks from my base.
Didn't one explode first and destroy the other?

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Not exactly cool but good to to finally know which mod causes that icon to show up in the middle of my screen when Im holding certain tinkers construct tools. Ars magica.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't one explode first and destroy the other?

I thought that at first, but looking at the hole, if you look closely, you can see two distinct craters, even if they are mostly overlapping. Not sure if one exploded and set off the other, or if they literally exploded at the exact same time.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
That's about 20,026,334 rpm, which is about 7 million times the rotation speed of a car engine right before automatic gear switch. Seriously, imagine a person spinning that fast...
2,097,152 rad/s is actually only 333,772.107 rev/sec. faster than modern flywheel storage units (200K), jet engines(190K), or turbochargers (can hit 290 according to Wikipedia), but slower than a dentists drill (800K)
linear velocity of outer edge greatly exceeds sound barrier. will cause fun (in the dwarf fortress sense of the word) when structural integrity limits are reached.

@Reika whats the radius of these shafts?

and just for fun (the normal kind) the man-made rotational speed record is 600 million. from Wikipedia and the citation:
a calcium carbonate sphere, only four millionths of a metre in diameter, levitated using a laser in a vacuum chamber and spun up to speed using circularly polarized light

Last edited: