What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
So, I have this 'Mob Melter' setup to make Netherrack in IE. Thaumcraft has these mobs with various buffs. One of them spawned into the Mob Melter system - with a regen buff. The smelter does less damage per tick than the regen restores.

I have an immortal zombie supplying me with blood. I'm tempted to stick an actual nametag on him.

Like the way you think :)

Do it and post screenies !!

What can you do with a Smeltery filled with Blood anyway?

-= Wuffle =-

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Refined Storage. I bet I'm the first one to discover this. Ok, so maaaaybe you've heard of it. :p

I have never used AE, either, so this was my first attempt at anything like these. I didn't really care about the storage part of it at all, really. What I discovered about it is that this is the greatest crafting system like ever. Game-changingly awesome crafting. I don't intend to craft without this thing ever again. And, then, the storage on top of that, is so soo sooo much simpler than I was expecting. I had no plans to get into this thing at all, but figured out all out from JEI alone and threw together an autocrafting system with a 64k storage block in about two hours.

It's almost cheating, lol

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Refined Storage. I bet I'm the first one to discover this. Ok, so maaaaybe you've heard of it. :p

I have never used AE, either, so this was my first attempt at anything like these. I didn't really care about the storage part of it at all, really. What I discovered about it is that this is the greatest crafting system like ever. Game-changingly awesome crafting. I don't intend to craft without this thing ever again. And, then, the storage on top of that, is so soo sooo much simpler than I was expecting. I had no plans to get into this thing at all, but figured out all out from JEI alone and threw together an autocrafting system with a 64k storage block in about two hours.

It's almost cheating, lol
I'd say "wait till you see AE2", but its probably hard to switch from RS and then have to cope with the Channels system AE2 has.

Having said that: Yeah, ae2/RS autocrafting will definitely revolutionize your minecraft experience. This is even more absurdly obvious when you're playing a pack with lots of annoying cyclical/sub-crafting steps. Welcome to the modern minecraft universe :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, that's what I love about it. I've definitely reached the point where the crafting itself is just so tedious. I still want to keep using my other storage methods in general, but I'm using this as my dump chest for everything else. And I'll figure out how to connect it to the rest of my system as well.

I still like a larger "physical" system, but the crafting on this is just... it's a whole new world, man. You know it, though.

I'm building a huge tower and I'm going to need like 10,000 stone brick blocks, then will need to shade those blocks with silents gems pieces. This was going to take me forever. I set the stone blocks as the first thing to test the autocrafting and laughed while it did the work for me practically in real-time.

Bonus cool thing: Silent's Gems continues to impress the hell out of me. First, the shaded bricks you can make are legitimately great building blocks to work with. But I also found out about the material grader, which boosts the power of your gems with a grade (E, D, C, B, A, S,SS, SSS) with different amounts of boost. So, naturally, I immediately threw away everything I made before and remade S-class versions of everything and now I'm an unstopabble badass.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Right, so Refined Storage is basically AE1, with a couple of refinements. First is that the crafters storing patterns can be placed individually. Used to be they'd all be stored inside a massive multi-block structure. Structure's now available for Refined Storage as Reborn Storage. The big difference is in the drives. While AE can store 63 individual item types, and many of them, it's limited by that. Refined Storage on the other hand is limited by pure quantity, so a 1k can store 1000 items, without any restrictions, so 1000 different individual item types.

Alternately, AE2 has some sweet tricks you can do with it. But I'll leave those for you to learn.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'd say "wait till you see AE2", but its probably hard to switch from RS and then have to cope with the Channels system AE2 has.

Having said that: Yeah, ae2/RS autocrafting will definitely revolutionize your minecraft experience. This is even more absurdly obvious when you're playing a pack with lots of annoying cyclical/sub-crafting steps. Welcome to the modern minecraft universe :)
Question: does RS have an equivalent to the Interface Terminal from AE2? That’s one of the most handy things I discovered when getting deeply into it for the first time - that you don’t have to go over to your Molecular Assembler interfaces (crafters, if it was RS) and put programmed recipes in - you can add them in directly from the terminal. And the same goes for processing interfaces - and if you’re doing processing routes that go into chests first, you can rename the interface yourself so you know what processing it’s for!

Reactions: Pyure

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Like the way you think :)

Do it and post screenies !!

What can you do with a Smeltery filled with Blood anyway?

-= Wuffle =-

I need to get my five levels back - I keep accidentally dropping them in a Rosa Arcanum.

In Infinity Evolved: Skyblock, it's one of two ways to make Netherrack (pour blood over gravel, or drop redstone into a barrel of lava) - which in turn is one of the only ways to get Draconium and Mithril, both of which are needed in hoarding-level quantities. Redstone is also needed in hoarding-level quantities, so I'm cheaping out with the blood and gravel. :D (I believe that Draconium can be mined in the End in this pack, but haven't checked yet.) The Mob Melter is also a pretty good source of Resonant Ender (of which I now have three full Resonant tanks). Still trying to get it to drain at the 'right' pace (so that it keeps something inside to inflict damage. Sadly, the 'Fluid Monitor' doesn't talk to the Smeltery Controller.)

So periodically, I flip a switch and dump around 30 buckets of blood into a casting basin that is kept full of gravel and get about half a stack of Netherrack. This is automatically dropped into a hammer-and-sieves assembly line on my ore-processing level. I need to construct and route pipes for two more lava systems, and I'll have that part fully automated. As it is, I just have to add processing for Gold, Copper, Platinum and Nickel from the overworld ores, along with Cobalt and Ardite. At that point, my top-side smelter will be used only for alloys.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Buildcraft might be your answer to the smeltery issue. I'm pretty sure Emerald Fluid Pipes can do filtered extraction of fluids. Then set it to just extract blood, and you should be in business.

Don't know where EnderIO falls in the IES tech tree, but it's ender fluid conduits can also do filtered fluid mechanics, and only pull what you tell it too.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, that's what I love about it. I've definitely reached the point where the crafting itself is just so tedious. I still want to keep using my other storage methods in general, but I'm using this as my dump chest for everything else. And I'll figure out how to connect it to the rest of my system as well.
Storage Bus. Lets the RS network 'see' your already existing storage inventory. Storage Drawers Controller + Storage Bus lets you see the entire wall of drawers. And add to them, and remove from them, for purposes of crafting.

I still like a larger "physical" system, but the crafting on this is just... it's a whole new world, man. You know it, though.
Yea, you don't need disk-based storage (although I suggest using at least one liquid cell for water and one for lava as a buffer to make other things with). It's compact, but if you just want to hook up storage buses to your already existent physical storage... that's cool too.

I'm building a huge tower and I'm going to need like 10,000 stone brick blocks, then will need to shade those blocks with silents gems pieces. This was going to take me forever. I set the stone blocks as the first thing to test the autocrafting and laughed while it did the work for me practically in real-time.
Yea, for mass jobs like that, RS/AE2 is pretty awesome. Also, Industrial Foregoing has a cobblegen block that can do multiple functions, so it can crank out stone brick blocks itself (first by generating cobble, then by smelting cobble into stone, then crafting in 2x2 configuration for blocks).

Reactions: Drbretto

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
External Storage is the RS version.

I'm with Dire on preferring the fluid blocks to the fluid cells. Easier to look at one block and say ah, this is 64 buckets of water or whatever, than wondering if I have enough storage.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Question: does RS have an equivalent to the Interface Terminal from AE2? That’s one of the most handy things I discovered when getting deeply into it for the first time - that you don’t have to go over to your Molecular Assembler interfaces (crafters, if it was RS) and put programmed recipes in - you can add them in directly from the terminal.

As stated, no, there is not a "one stop shop" for putting your recipes in. I think though, this is due to the awesome ability to physically assign things to certain machines. Got split your smelting duties across more than one Redstone Furnace strategically and you can really speed up processes that need more multiple smelting crafts of different items.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, I didn't know about that storage bus! I guessed on the interface module, it didn't do that so I said screw it and took the old one down. I made like 8 64k storage blocks just to watch the auto builder work, lol.

But, I'll be relocating my storage to a large bank, so it's good to know I can do this and keep the best of both worlds going.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if it has been addressed in later versions, but there were issues with using external storage on a Drawer Controller at a few points. Most common issue was massive lag, as the two of them tried to read each other constantly, particularly if automation was constantly accessing storage (auto mining depositing goods, auto processing pulling ores and placing the outputs, etc.). Since my computer is quite weak to start, I've been trying to avoid the scenario since it nearly melted a world (earlier 1.10). Good chance they have addressed it by now, but something to be mindful of.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've reached the point where as soon as I can move out of drawers for most things, I do. Stuff like Cobble, or sand where I want a lot of it and not to have it clogging my drawers is fine, but for most things I want them in my drives. I like Storage Drawers, but I've had issues with them, controllers in particular. I'm thinking I'll stick with buses on individual drawers.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
The Entroppinium from Botania recognizes Tiny TnT from AE2 as a full TnT block.

The same amount of mana generated by two gunpowder and two quartz dust compared to five gunpowder and four sand? Yes please!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame