What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't plug the mast into your power system, just let it sit there and get zapped. Direwolf worked out it's something like 3RF/t so it's not much use for power generation.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Don't plug the mast into your power system, just let it sit there and get zapped. Direwolf worked out it's something like 3RF/t so it's not much use for power generation.

Dire, quite frankly, isn't too smart. He completely ignored the fact that the interaction ranges of the weather stations and the masts are multiplicitive.

My base ran on masts. With a weather station for every mast, and two transmitters for every weather station I had enough overlap in the ranges so that I was getting 250 RF/t PER MAST. For over 100 masts. 300,000 RF per minute. And any additions I made brought the numbers up higher. Once you pass a critical point, the numbers get very large, very fast.

https://github.com/SonarSonic/Calculator/wiki/Conductor-Mast

... course, the trouble these days is that right now the masts in the version in the new packs is kinda broken... no matter how many strikes, no power happens at all... you have to attach it to the power grid, and power it yourself.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
yeah, no this is a proper bug :(
Dire, quite frankly, isn't too smart. He completely ignored the fact that the interaction ranges of the weather stations and the masts are multiplicitive.

My base ran on masts. With a weather station for every mast, and two transmitters for every weather station I had enough overlap in the ranges so that I was getting 250 RF/t PER MAST. For over 100 masts. 300,000 RF per minute. And any additions I made brought the numbers up higher. Once you pass a critical point, the numbers get very large, very fast.

https://github.com/SonarSonic/Calculator/wiki/Conductor-Mast

... course, the trouble these days is that right now the masts in the version in the new packs is kinda broken... no matter how many strikes, no power happens at all... you have to attach it to the power grid, and power it yourself.
Now, I tried this and I couldn’t get it to work - how do you attach it to a power grid?!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Bottom of the bottom block, but if you are playing a current pack (I was using them in age of engineering) it won't produce power, but it will soak up the power, in huge amounts, and make the thunder for you.
Hmm I tried to use Calculator’s own advanced power cube directly under it without success, but there’s more playing with it I could try.

I’m playing FTB Horizons III, which is a 1.12 pack.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
No idea about 1.12, but have you used the PA Wrench on the cube? Or any other kind of energy transfer method? Because unless the mechanics have changed, you can pump energy into the mast for crafting instead of merely using it as a crappy-but-improvable-to-absurdity power source.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
No idea about 1.12, but have you used the PA Wrench on the cube? Or any other kind of energy transfer method? Because unless the mechanics have changed, you can pump energy into the mast for crafting instead of merely using it as a crappy-but-improvable-to-absurdity power source.
Unfortunately, I tried a few different methods of getting energy into it, and none of them worked! :( Dammit I thought I had a solution that wouldn't need Minetweaking there.
Isn't that the one that requires plugs all around it to behave properly?
Plugs, I'm not sure about? I know that Weather Stations and Transmitters can improve the behaviour (by increasing power of strikes and frequency of strikes respectively), but that makes no difference in this case. You might be thinking of the Calculator Locator & Plug maybe?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Maybe... Haven't ever really used Calculator.

Is the lightning actually giving it energy and you just can't craft, or is there no power being gained?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Maybe... Haven't ever really used Calculator.

Is the lightning actually giving it energy and you just can't craft, or is there no power being gained?
There is no power being gained; I think that's the trouble. The fact that energy cannot be inserted into the mast in any way, whether by lightning or external sources. If I could get energy into it, I imagine it would probably craft! Ah well.

In other news, I discovered that, not only do Calculator pears give good hunger and really good saturation, but that rotten pears can be used in place of slime balls! Useful :)

Reactions: Closet Gamer

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
In that case, give them an Energetic Infuser(Assuming you have it.) recipe. As long as it's the same cost it shouldn't make any difference.
Ooh can you do that?? Like, have a recipe that just requires X amount of RF for it to turn into something else, rather than it having to "fill up" with something?

EDIT: just realised what a dumb question this is; of course you can - that’s how you make things like fluxed phytogro! Derp

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Yup, my custom pack is showing me that I can charge Certus in the Infuser which is absolutely amazing, instead of the silly charger that I use once and then never again.
Wait, you only used your charger once??? I used it repeatedly in Regrowth - though you couldn’t get charged Certus AT ALL without using it in that modpack. But yeah - did you have to greate a CraftTweaker recipe for that or was it natively supported?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Natively supported, because I've never actually used CraftTweaker. I never actually got around to playing Regrowth. Usually I run the charger to make Charged, but it's a nuisance since you can only put one through at a time, and even if you have power, it doesn't always turn right away.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Natively supported, because I've never actually used CraftTweaker. I never actually got around to playing Regrowth. Usually I run the charger to make Charged, but it's a nuisance since you can only put one through at a time, and even if you have power, it doesn't always turn right away.
So I owe you a huge thank you @KingTriaxx - I downloaded modtweaker and required libraries onto my custom instance, looked up the required format for an Energetic Infuser recipe, created a script, and boom - I successfully created a way of turning Fire Diamonds to Electric Diamonds using the Energetic Infuser. That will be a great workaround until the problem is sorted! Thanks dude, I honestly don't think I would have thought of that.

C

Closet Gamer

So I owe you a huge thank you @KingTriaxx - I downloaded modtweaker and required libraries onto my custom instance, looked up the required format for an Energetic Infuser recipe, created a script, and boom - I successfully created a way of turning Fire Diamonds to Electric Diamonds using the Energetic Infuser. That will be a great workaround until the problem is sorted! Thanks dude, I honestly don't think I would have thought of that.
Three cheers for the king ;)

------------------------
My Age of Engineering Series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUZaEaeCvlj6ChY3jks-N8rW74_3qEtmD

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
>Be me
>Be bemoaning the lack of Minefactory Reloaded in the bright future present of 1.12
>Google it to find out about the possibility of an update
>Hear about a mod called Industrial Foregoing, that is apparently a successor to MFR
>Look for it on twitch launcher, only to find that it's already in Revelations.

Black Hole Units here we come!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Aw we only got two cheers :(

Yep - I’ve done a little playing with IF, and getting rubber is a bit different from MFR, but it’s pretty cool :)