What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
That Minecolonies is really time consuming. I wanted to use it to automate farming for to be turned into ethylene for power. They're so slow. I mean so slow. The builder breaking one block takes like 30 seconds. And don't even get me started on the farmer. It felt really satisfying slaughtering them.
I agree that they start off quite slow. However, given the time to upgrade their buildings, fit them with tools not made of wood/stone, and allow them to level up a bit, they aren't completely useless. If they were full speed out of the gate, there would be no point in upgrading them at all, and they would be very OP in many packs.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I agree that they start off quite slow. However, given the time to upgrade their buildings, fit them with tools not made of wood/stone, and allow them to level up a bit, they aren't completely useless. If they were full speed out of the gate, there would be no point in upgrading them at all, and they would be very OP in many packs.
True, but a little bit of AI would be nice. I could give him like a stack of birch logs and raw sandstone and he could make what he needs, rather than me having to spoon feed him everything.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
True, but a little bit of AI would be nice. I could give him like a stack of birch logs and raw sandstone and he could make what he needs, rather than me having to spoon feed him everything.

Eventually, you get your village set up with a Warehouse and a few Delivery Men. This helps keep the village working, while giving you more leash to do other things than spoon feed. At some point, the devs aim to implement a villager capable of autocrafting, which should keep everyone set up with at minimum of stone tools.

Reactions: Nuclear_Creeper0

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, that does seem to be the answer. Oh well, there are worse places to be.

If you're playing Sprout, it's got Custom NPC's. If you know what you're doing, you can set up a custom NPC as an autocrafter.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I used RFTools to autocraft (iron) tools for them for my Sprout play. I intend on using Immersive Engineering to autocraft in my new custom pack, mainly because I've not used it before.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
IE Autocrafting is crazy fun.
I feel the same about AE2 autocrafting. And not just the stuff done in the assemblers that you can't see. I find I really enjoy asking the system for something complicated, pressing go, and hearing the clicking of logistical transporters start, the whirring of the crusher, seeing the laser beams kick into action. Its immensely satisfying :D

I also discovered the joy of Blocking Mode! Because I'm on Regrowth, the options for making Bronze are somewhat limited to say the least - it has to be done in a tinker's smeltery. By using blocking mode, I'm able to make sure that one set of 3 copper and 1 tin are inserted at a time, and the next batch of ingots won't be put in until all of the ones in there have melted - making sure that the ratio stays constant and it doesn't overfill with one type! The only thing I might do is change that over for making blocks at a time. I just don't want the smeltery to drain entirely before the stuff is melted (I'm keeping a certain amount in there molten, to make sure that only bronze gets poured out).

The other possibility of course would be to have a diamond fluid pipe, and divert any molten copper or tin straight back into the smeltery again. But that runs the risk of a continual loop. Curse there being no simple filtered liquid extraction!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Re: Minecolonies discussion from the last page that I don't know how old it is:

Don't quit on mincolonies early. They start off slow, but they pick up. There's a stat for the overall happiness of your colony, and each colonist has levels. The better the overall rating, the faster your people level up. The higher level they are, the more work they get done. The farming and lumberjacking are both all you will ever need for both once you get them going. If you start off building wooden buildings, they'll start doing half the work for you. They'll feed themselves by farming wheat and baking bread, then the delivery guy will deliver it to everyone. The lumberjack will eventually leave you with no need to chop your own trees and you'll eventually be having to clear your warehouse to make room for your crops. And that's just a single-level basic colony. Now, imagine you've built it up for a while and you have multiple high-level builders and farmers and whatnot. You'll barely be able to keep up.

Edit: Killing your own colony because they're not going fast enough is more than a little bit counterproductive as murder has a pretty negative effect on your colony's happiness level.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I killed the colony because I found a better option (The PhytoGenic isolator from Thermal Expansion) and they were spamming my chat for things like "I need seeds" the buildings still exist without the interface blocks in them. So I basically removed the colony from existence. I will definitely do Minecolonies later in the pack after I have a decent amount of resources and power.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I killed the colony because I found a better option (The PhytoGenic isolator from Thermal Expansion) and they were spamming my chat for things like "I need seeds" the buildings still exist without the interface blocks in them. So I basically removed the colony from existence. I will definitely do Minecolonies later in the pack after I have a decent amount of resources and power.

You killed the colony because you didn't immediately understand its purpose and you gave up on it because you lack imagination.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
You killed the colony because you didn't immediately understand its purpose and you gave up on it because you lack imagination.
No, I gave up because they're not a good investment time-wise for where I am in the pack compared to other options. Like I said, I do intend to go back to them after I have more resources. The farmer supplying the wheat was not meeting demand, so I had to find a different option. Kinda like, the FTB launcher is good but lacks many 3rd party packs, so I use the Twitch launcher to fill those needs making the FTB launcher obsolete.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It can, but it's crazy inefficient. It's like one tin to one copper gets one bronze. Or was when I played last.
Ah OK, well that wouldn't be too bad for me, as on Regrowth I'm mostly in a resource glut - certainly for copper and tin I've got more than enough of both to take the hit on efficiency if it means a gain on speed and convenience (as well as taking down my almost Rube Goldbergian setup for making bronze :p)

Reactions: Inaeo

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Incidentally, if you want filtered extraction, the Emerald Fluid Pipe will do it. It's not just prettier than the wooden one.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Converting a bunch of iron ore into starmetal at the same time is quite pretty. I have no idea how much of it I'll use, but given I currently need a storage crate for my iron and I haven't even gotten any sort of auto-mining I'm not too worried about overdoing it.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
a little 'niggle' about designing Project Red IC's (for MC version 1.7.10)

dont use bundled cables in the schematics. This resulted in many hours of fsck'ing, tearing up blueprints, and going nearly bald.

For some reason..they do not behave well when attached to input/output sides. I built a simple circuit that replicated a set of input signals elsewhere in the ic schematic using a bundled cable, and it was impossible to get a consistent output..its like the bundles cache their last change and never change after that. sometimes plugging in a bus randomizer *might* fix the problem, but on reload, its back to usual. reminds me a bit of working with mfr rednet cables and redstone...theres another topic worthy of a thread.

design your circuits with null gates if you need to cross signals over. run signal wires individually to input/output ports, dont use a bundle to transport the signals. its a pita, i know, but the results are worth it. trying to build a computer with multiple ics and having chips spit out one and only one value, no matter what you do to the inputs, is extremely frustrating. use the bigger bp sizes to compensate, or split the task among several ics (which is what im doing now). ICs are fast..faster than you think ;)

having said that, you CAN use normal bundled cables outside the IC...those work as advertised.

saddens me the author wont look at 1.7.10 builds anymore...that is one major showstopper

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Converting a bunch of iron ore into starmetal at the same time is quite pretty. I have no idea how much of it I'll use, but given I currently need a storage crate for my iron and I haven't even gotten any sort of auto-mining I'm not too worried about overdoing it.
Aw man, if you're referring to Astral Sorcery, I am so looking forward to getting stuck into that - I've watched a couple of mod spotlights, and man that is beautiful!