What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The best I've found (to the point it was borderline broken) was magicfood from Magical Crops, a Gourmaryllis fed one piece makes a really good amount of mana since one piece of magicfood = a full food bar.
My current world I'm running my entire Botania setup on 4 Gourmaryllis being fed Ambrosia, steak would be just as good but I have a lot of bee products. This setup produced enough mana to get my Terra Shatterer to rank SS in 2-3 days.
If you have loads of Honey Drops and just a bit of Wheat you can also make Honeyed Slice.
Wheat->Wheat Flour->Bread(Trivection chamber X2)->Honeyed Slice x4

That's 8! pieces of 4 hunger, 4.5 saturation foods for 1 wheat and 8 Honey drops :p

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered this a long time ago, but I still think it's worth posting about:
I used to be incredibly pessimistic, cynical, and sarcastic, and then I discovered XKCD. XKCD is also sarcastic and a little cynical sometimes, but the character Beret Guy is always naively optimistic (and endowed with super powers such that he always wins arguments against other characters even when wrong, but that's a different issue).
After reading XKCD for a little while, I realized "Hey, being pessimistic makes me sad. I'm going to take Beret Guy's view of life." It was a little less sudden than that, but not by much. I'm now an optimistic individual, even if I'm still ridiculously sarastic sometimes. :p
Here's the comic which best illustrates that optimism.

kayak.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I discovered this a long time ago, but I still think it's worth posting about:
I used to be incredibly pessimistic, cynical, and sarcastic, and then I discovered XKCD. XKCD is also sarcastic and a little cynical sometimes, but the character Beret Guy is always naively optimistic (and endowed with super powers such that he always wins arguments against other characters even when wrong, but that's a different issue).
After reading XKCD for a little while, I realized "Hey, being pessimistic makes me sad. I'm going to take Beret Guy's view of life." It was a little less sudden than that, but not by much. I'm now an optimistic individual, even if I'm still ridiculously sarastic sometimes. :p
Here's the comic which best illustrates that optimism.
I'm impressed you just started xkcd and already caught onto that about beret guy. I particularly like his various job ventures.

What's xkcd?
Probably the most intelligent web comic in existence. Its also my monday/wednesday/friday morning routine like clockwork. I reschedule meetings if they might conflict with reading xkcd.

Some of his comics are the stuff of legend. Some of them even have their own wikipedia pages.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
For reference: The latest xkcd can always be found here, and it updates on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with only a few exceptions (such as the most recent one, which came out on Thursday instead of Friday). There's also a wiki here that provides pretty good explanations of the jokes and whatnot in almost every xkcd comic released. The fact that I had both of these pages open in my browser, ready to link... is.

I've read almost every single comic on the site, and I still sink an hour or two into clicking that Random button every now and again.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
You will also learn just what Randal Munroe fears the most.

What If? is a great read as well--I got the book for that specific reason.

(Secret: Check out the image alt text.)

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Type1Ninja

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Found out about the ?new? quicksand dangers in biomes o plenty for minecraft 1.8.9. Was digging up some sand for a project. The sand collapsed around me in a four block radius. Found out there was a quicksand pit under where I was digging and all the sand collapsed into it. Quicksand can't be dug up while sand is falling through it. Nearly killed me finding all this out. It is looking like biomes o plenty is getting a lot more dangerous.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Please tell me there's some way to disable this, at least. I like all the nice, new biomes, but I absolutely loathe quicksand. And poison ivy.
I thought they were adding per feature world gen options? Poke around in configs and settings for a bit would be my suggestion, pretty sure they posted about adding that as options a few weeks back on the FTB subreddot.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
No need to be snide, I don't play 1.8, as there's not enough content I like to switch, even on a personal level. Though, now that there is a way to be rid of it, I'm quite glad, as those two things were the most irritating parts of BoP. Few things are as irritating as running from a creeper thru a forest, only to hit a patch of poison ivy (which, in 1.7 at least, is all but totally indistinguishable from regular grass) and be forced to walking by the poison...then getting blown up.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or blind because there's an option to disable the quick sand(and the poison ivy)

No need to be snide, I don't play 1.8, as there's not enough content I like to switch, even on a personal level. Though, now that there is a way to be rid of it, I'm quite glad, as those two things were the most irritating parts of BoP. Few things are as irritating as running from a creeper thru a forest, only to hit a patch of poison ivy (which, in 1.7 at least, is all but totally indistinguishable from regular grass) and be forced to walking by the poison...then getting blown up.
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic or snide. Though I am not to sure on the definition of snide. I don't like the sound of it though.

Was just trying to tease a little. By saying one thing and then showing the exact opposite was the truth.

I had to look over the different configs. I had seen things were added when I was creating worlds. Just hadn't messed with any of the options or files. I thought you might be interested in the knowledge though for later possibilities.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be honest, the humour in your post went right over my head :rolleyes:
Yeah, My way of humor has always been a little different. I like to make people laugh. I just have a way of doing it that doesn't always work the best. I was never great at the social skills and am horrible at learning such things. I am slowly getting along though. It may be a little on the late side to change my methods when it comes to humor though. I keep thinking of opting out of parts of it. Then I forget about it and go straight back to one I have been used to for more then twenty years.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Funnily enough, you've also perfectly described my sense of humour.
I'm a little on the weird side, but I enjoy making people laugh, and my social skills are almost non-existent- so my jokes often land me in hot water :p

The same thing I say to my coworkers- carry on cracking jokes, the day goes easier being around someone funny than someone miserable.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Wasn't trying to be sarcastic or snide. Though I am not to sure on the definition of snide. I don't like the sound of it though.

Was just trying to tease a little. By saying one thing and then showing the exact opposite was the truth.

I had to look over the different configs. I had seen things were added when I was creating worlds. Just hadn't messed with any of the options or files. I thought you might be interested in the knowledge though for later possibilities.

Aah, my apologies, then. Tone is...rather different to discern in text.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, my apologies, then. Tone is...rather different to discern in text.
Yeah. I know. I usually try to convey it with a emoji or something. This time though the intent was to say something with complete honesty and a straight face then show you that something else entirely was the actual truth. (Edit: Should probably add that the entire tone of the project was not malicious. It was to have more of a friendliness to it. that is really hard to convey over the net.)

Would have helped it a little if I hadn't added that part about liking the quicksand though. I was serious about liking the quicksand. For me it is like creepers. Not something I look forward to meeting up with. Something that is all to likely to cause me a lot of suffering at times. Yet something that the game just isn't the same without.

Probably would like it less if it didn't give me a alternative killing method for my chicken processing units. Lava to cook them. Water to drown them. Quicksand to suffocate them. This game makes the path of not being the nice guy extremely easy some times. It also works well with monster spawners. I don't know about 1.8, in 1.7 though they can spawn in the stuff and it makes it nearly impossible for them to do anything. Allowing one to easily set them up and manually kill them. A design that takes almost no prep time. Just a lot of light and one piece of quicksand.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix