What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
There are quite a few of those. The usual examples are Toxoplasma gondii which makes rats stop avoiding the scent of cats because it reproduces in the digestive tract of cats (and there is research suggesting infection effects human behavior, but nothing conclusive) and cordyceps which have a huge number of individual species which each take over specific host insects, and were the inspiration for the infected in The Last of Us (literally the premise behind the unusual sort of zombies in that game was "imagine a variety of cordyceps that infected humans").
what about the plant that grows on ants making them go insane? ie basically controlling there basic motor functions until they die and rot

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
what about the plant that grows on ants making them go insane? ie basically controlling there basic motor functions until they die and rot
It's a fungus, and not only does it control their motor functions then kill them, it specifically makes them climb up high so that when the fungus is ready to release its spores, you get maximal coverage.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Yes indeed. A single chunk quarry might be able to pick up a bunch of each vanilla ore if placed in the right spot. Automating the whole process could be tricky, since the chunk gets reset. You'd have to set up the quarry on the chunk boundry and deploy the bomb from outside. Maybe one of those open blocks cannons? But then you need to activate it somehow....some kind of flaming projectile perhaps. Sounds fun.

Would the item cannon work to deploy it? Also, aren't there missile versions of that bomb anyway?

If not, for activating Redstone remotely and disposably, you could use a molten Redstone florb, I think.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know that mod, but as far as I see it, there is just a bomb, that is triggered by a redstone signal.

so how about this: redstone torch on... let's say level 4, emits a signal to an inverter (standard vanilla) and then the signal (off) goes to the bomb.

when the quarry is nearly finished, it grabs the torch, the inverter switches and activates the bomb, and everything regenerates.

EDIT: depending on the blast radius, you could even regenerate 4 or more quarry holes at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: epidemia78

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
The maximum RF/tick on Thermal Expansion Energy Cells are per side, not per cell. Don't know how I managed to miss this.

What the hell? Are you serious? This changes so much.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
My AE system suddenly started going crazy. It blinks all the time, and blinks so badly that I can hardly do anything.

Well thanks to a post on this forum from a year ago, I just figured out what is going on.

The blinking wasn't due to insufficient power supply. And it wasn't due to too many items flowing in (I have a lot of bee alvearies making my materials).

Turns out the AE blinking was caused by my little level emitter/dark cable combination, which I was using to keep a few stacks of honey drops in my system at all times (for use in my Beealyzer and Treealyzer).

Apparently, every time the level emitter changed state and toggled the dark cable on or off... this resets the AE system. Since I have a lot of honey drops coming in from my alvearies, the level emitter was basically going "on/off/on/off/on/off" non-stop... and since it was turning a dark cable to my Squeezers on and off at the same rate, my AE system was resetting itself at this rate. On, off, on, off - all my AE was doing was blinking and I literally couldn't use it.

tl;dr: Don't use AE dark cable in conjuntion with a level emitter that is going to change state quickly. That's what I've learned today.

P.S. I am so happy I found the posting on this forum that explained it. I was seriously ready to quit my Monster world over this issue because it was making it no fun to play anymore since I couldn't access my inventory and couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
My AE system suddenly started going crazy. It blinks all the time, and blinks so badly that I can hardly do anything.

Well thanks to a post on this forum from a year ago, I just figured out what is going on.

The blinking wasn't due to insufficient power supply. And it wasn't due to too many items flowing in (I have a lot of bee alvearies making my materials).

Turns out the AE blinking was caused by my little level emitter/dark cable combination, which I was using to keep a few stacks of honey drops in my system at all times (for use in my Beealyzer and Treealyzer).

Apparently, every time the level emitter changed state and toggled the dark cable on or off... this resets the AE system. Since I have a lot of honey drops coming in from my alvearies, the level emitter was basically going "on/off/on/off/on/off" non-stop... and since it was turning a dark cable to my Squeezers on and off at the same rate, my AE system was resetting itself at this rate. On, off, on, off - all my AE was doing was blinking and I literally couldn't use it.

tl;dr: Don't use AE dark cable in conjuntion with a level emitter that is going to change state quickly. That's what I've learned today.

That must have been annoying as hell. Haha

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

Very good to know. I use AE extensively but I always just use import/export bus's with my level emitters so I've never come across that problem.

This would certainly be annoying when trying to autocraft if your entire network is getting reset every second.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
There was a long delay between the time I installed the level emitter/dark cable combo and the time when the blinking started happening. I think I had almost 100,000 honey drops in my system, and I set the level emitter to turn on at 256 honey drops. So the squeezers had to process 100,000 honey drops before the level emitter came into play, and this took a few days. So when the blinking started happening, I wasn't really able to connect it in my mind to the level emitter/dark cable. I thought "am I running out of power?" or "is there too many items coming in?"

It's always such a great feeling when you figure out the problem and solve it. But I'm not sure it would be solved yet if I didn't come across this thread (http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...energistics-system-keep-stopping.22807/page-2) and see "ratchet freak's" post. I love this forum!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Would the item cannon work to deploy it? Also, aren't there missile versions of that bomb anyway?

If not, for activating Redstone remotely and disposably, you could use a molten Redstone florb, I think.

I dont know yet but I will be trying it out soon. The florb is a great idea, I knew eventually Id use them for something.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
There was a long delay between the time I installed the level emitter/dark cable combo and the time when the blinking started happening. I think I had almost 100,000 honey drops in my system, and I set the level emitter to turn on at 256 honey drops. So the squeezers had to process 100,000 honey drops before the level emitter came into play, and this took a few days. So when the blinking started happening, I wasn't really able to connect it in my mind to the level emitter/dark cable. I thought "am I running out of power?" or "is there too many items coming in?"

It's always such a great feeling when you figure out the problem and solve it. But I'm not sure it would be solved yet if I didn't come across this thread (http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...energistics-system-keep-stopping.22807/page-2) and see "ratchet freak's" post. I love this forum!
Perhaps this is one of the things that will become so much easier to do without breaking things in AE2 with the better subnetworks.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps this is one of the things that will become so much easier to do without breaking things in AE2 with the better subnetworks.
Well, frankly, if he'd done it right the first time it hadn't been an issue with AE1 =)
Using an export bus triggered by a level emitter is not that much harder (if even) than using the dark cable/level emitter combo.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered how bad of an idea it was to construct the floors of my base out of Minefactory reloaded road blocks without knowing really what they did. I knew they made you faster, but it's half uncontrollable. Not only that, but it doesn't seem to make you faster as much as each step is that much longer. The bobbing is making me feel a little weird. I've never been motion sick before, but I think I have now.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered how bad of an idea it was to construct the floors of my base out of Minefactory reloaded road blocks without knowing really what they did. I knew they made you faster, but it's half uncontrollable. Not only that, but it doesn't seem to make you faster as much as each step is that much longer. The bobbing is making me feel a little weird. I've never been motion sick before, but I think I have now.
There used to be a config option to turn this off. I can't find it now though

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
You can do the same thing with one of the concrete block types from chisel. It speeds up movement.

Only downside to it is that the edge is almost like an invisible wall, trying to go through a doorway onto another floor type is problematic XD

Reactions: RedBoss