What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Discovered while reading @ICountFrom0 's text-play: Soaking wood in creosote apparently makes it less flammable! (Kids, don't try this at home!) :D

Wooden telephone poles and railway trestles are also soaked in creosote, mainly to keep termites and moisture away but also to provide some fire protection. Oddly enough the creosote burns while protecting the wood, with a thick black smoke.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Maybe not cool, unless you like lava baths, but i just went to the nether in a modified version of DW's 1.12 pack... and the portal spawned in the middle of a lava lake, one step out and a free lava bath.. had to use creative to even make it useable.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Prob not literally in the lake though i'd bet. Thankfully it was only one deep at the point where the portal was, so wasn't too bad to make less... burny.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That was my first experience with building a nether portal in minecraft. And back in 1.4.7, prior to it spawning the little pieces of obsidian to either side of the portal. Teleported in, and was below the level of the lava lake.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Thankfully my relatively bad luck with nether portals was counterbalanced by excellent luck with the AE2 meteors... the two nearest ones were both at surface level, and between them had all 4 presses.

EDIT: on that note, noticed that the energetic infuser can charge certus quartz. Glad i noticed before i made the dedicated AE2 charger out of habit when doing AE2.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
PlusTIC and Thaumcraft 6 integration, meaning Thaumium tool parts are available again.

That's another thing to cross off my list of "Stuff from 1.7.10 that is missing from 1.12"

I would use Magical wood for the extraneous non-handle/head parts, the 3 extra modifiers are dead sexy...but the other special randomly breaks the tool and i'm looking at chaotic/awakened/other Draconic evolution tool parts and/or dark/red matter from EXU, which are really expensive to maintain. Not wanting to repair them any more than is strictly necessary.

I also wish we could have the "fluxed" modifier back, letting me use RF rather than durability on my TIC gear. Those were the days...

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I also wish we could have the "fluxed" modifier back, letting me use RF rather than durability on my TIC gear. Those were the days...

Maybe as a property on fluxed electrum parts? Modifiers are getting to be less powerful in the current setup. Attaching it to a material makes more sense now, and that makes it something PlusTiC might do, as they cover cofh materials already?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Maybe as a property on fluxed electrum parts? Modifiers are getting to be less powerful in the current setup. Attaching it to a material makes more sense now, and that makes it something PlusTiC might do, as they cover cofh materials already?
I think that's a pretty neat idea actually :D

EDIT: cool thing for me - much as many folks consider GregTech to be a complicated and complex ballache, I love the level of depth and accuracy in things like the ores, material types, machine names and so on. Its pretty neat!

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Moar Tinker's actually brings back Fluxed Electrum as a material and it get's energy eater as a property, which lets it consume energy instead of taking damage sometimes.
I think the trait you mentioned is Energy Repair; from the Curseforge page for Moar Tinkers:

Energy Repair-Repairs from the energy stored in the inventory, but only when it's about to be damaged...

Energy Eater-Boosts the mining speed and damage by consuming energy!
Its pretty neat though that!

Reactions: ICountFrom0

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yup. Plus it's obscenely fast to mine things. Signalum's better for me. Though I'll definitely be using it on a sword to go with my Fluxed Shield. Need that bad boy for the Twilight.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Yup. Plus it's obscenely fast to mine things. Signalum's better for me. Though I'll definitely be using it on a sword to go with my Fluxed Shield. Need that bad boy for the Twilight.

I want to put it on my hammer.
Mainly because the head is red matter.
And I haven't automated the crafting thing with the philosopher's stone and the bazillions of coal yet...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Fluxed-Electrum Broadsword with an Endstone wide guard and Refined Iron Toolrod two shots endermen. I could probably pour on the quartz and one shot them.