What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
When you try and grow a tree on Garden Soil from Garden Stuff, it turns into an ornamental version with a skinny trunk.

That explains why my Witchery trees have been a bit small...

Reactions: ICountFrom0

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
When you try and grow a tree on Garden Soil from Garden Stuff, it turns into an ornamental version with a skinny trunk.

That explains why my Witchery trees have been a bit small...

If I recall correctly, the ornamental trees are achieved by using bonemeal on a sapling (a mechanic I've not been fond of, personally) by default. The pack may alter those configs, or maybe the Garden Soil is producing a bonemeal effect which thereby stunts your tree growth.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If I recall correctly, the ornamental trees are achieved by using bonemeal on a sapling (a mechanic I've not been fond of, personally) by default. The pack may alter those configs, or maybe the Garden Soil is producing a bonemeal effect which thereby stunts your tree growth.
Ah you're right @Inaeo - it happens if you put it on garden soil and apply bonemeal - I don't think I gave them chance to grow by themselves, as I was trying to get saplings for Witchery fumes. The more you know!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Ah you're right @Inaeo - it happens if you put it on garden soil and apply bonemeal - I don't think I gave them chance to grow by themselves, as I was trying to get saplings for Witchery fumes. The more you know!
Yeah, I like the idea of the ornamental trees,and the fences using the small logs look really cool for some builds, but I hate that it hijacks my usual bonemeal effect. Thankfully, it's configurable.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
The winner of food abuse shall remain 1.7.10 berries until further notice.

* you can eat even when full, and fill your saturation abr
* The producing plant grows to make more producing plants, so once you get started you never run out
* While there is a "benefit" to having three of the 4 types, you get the real benefit from only one -- the berry medly bowl doesn't give you any benefit over just spamming one berry

All your food needs from a single inventory slot. Fill it up to 64 before you leave, and off you go. On the road, each berry heals two damage if you can hole up (one for the saturation boost, one for the main food), and another 20 or so for completeness will fill up the saturation bar so you don't even notice your food situation until you've gone through a lot more damage.

I don't think I've ever run out of food from a single inventory slot of the things while out exploring/caving/fighting.

How do they differ from watermelon slices (vanilla)? They can max out the saturation bar. With water melon, you keep filling up the main bar, run out of saturation, have to repeat. With these things? You can heal something like 1 and a 1/2 full health bars of damage before you need to eat, that's as good as a pair of steaks/porkchops.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017

* The producing plant grows to make more producing plants, so once you get started you never run out
* While there is a "benefit" to having three of the 4 types, you get the real benefit from only one -- the berry medly bowl doesn't give you any benefit over just spamming one berry

All your food needs from a single inventory slot. Fill it up to 64 before you leave, and off you go. On the road, each berry heals two damage if you can hole up (one for the saturation boost, one for the main food), and another 20 or so for completeness will fill up the saturation bar so you don't even notice your food situation until you've gone through a lot more damage.

I don't think I've ever run out of food from a single inventory slot of the things while out exploring/caving/fighting.

How do they differ from watermelon slices (vanilla)? They can max out the saturation bar. With water melon, you keep filling up the main bar, run out of saturation, have to repeat. With these things? You can heal something like 1 and a 1/2 full health bars of damage before you need to eat, that's as good as a pair of steaks/porkchops.
Works really well with spice of life.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017

Apparently Ale from rustic is supposed to be good, very saturating, and i believe it counts as a drink so you can drink it on full hunger

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The advantage to Berry Medley is doubling the output for the recipe if you have all four.

On the other hand, having four stacks of berries and some medley means Spice of Life is pointless.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Forestry peat farming. You start with a water-source, 4 sand, 4 dirt, and a vanilla bucket of water. This gives you 6 Bog Earth, which change to Peat if you leave them within 2 blocks of the water source. This gives you 12 Peat 'ingots' (fuel/power), and 6 Dirt. I'm seeing such Skyblock exploitability here, since dirt is usually harder to get than sand.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Forestry peat farming. You start with a water-source, 4 sand, 4 dirt, and a vanilla bucket of water. This gives you 6 Bog Earth, which change to Peat if you leave them within 2 blocks of the water source. This gives you 12 Peat 'ingots' (fuel/power), and 6 Dirt. I'm seeing such Skyblock exploitability here, since dirt is usually harder to get than sand.

*incoherently scribbles this down in the list of interesting mod mechanics*
I'm seeing less exploit, more of interesting automation project/challenge for skyblocking. (meaning THE way of generating dirt is through this method...)

Reactions: ICountFrom0

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Forestry cans which are 3 tin produce 8 for the same dirt/sand ratio. And programming that recipe into an auto-crafter means you don't even need to spend the cans, for still producing 8.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019

This is one of my favourite mechanics. Back in 1.4.7, I came up with a Forestry farm design that would generate wood, peat, apples, and MJ and that would run, without maintenance, forever.

fCrdRkG.png

This is it running in 1.2.5. It relies off the very mechanic you describe: Bog Earth turns into dirt when it's harvested, and Humus turns into sand. Thus, it's possible to cycle the dirt and sand back and forth without any loss.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Power Adapters from Buildcraft.

They've been in a while from the looks, but I only just discovered them (technically yesterday): they go onto an extraction pipe (or, I think, any other transport-type pipe that can take energy - I haven't tried, but presumably this would work for obsidian pipes too) and allow you to attach a kinesis pipe directly to it to power it, instead of using a Wooden Engine. This does mean they can't be switched off like the engines can, but for me I found them both cool and super handy!

I used them on a setup with Refineries, as I had power going to them anyway, so it wasn't a big hassle to add a couple of extra kinesis pipes to power the wooden fluid pipes drawing out the fuel.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Power Adapters from Buildcraft.

They've been in a while from the looks, but I only just discovered them (technically yesterday): they go onto an extraction pipe (or, I think, any other transport-type pipe that can take energy - I haven't tried, but presumably this would work for obsidian pipes too) and allow you to attach a kinesis pipe directly to it to power it, instead of using a Wooden Engine. This does mean they can't be switched off like the engines can, but for me I found them both cool and super handy!

I used them on a setup with Refineries, as I had power going to them anyway, so it wasn't a big hassle to add a couple of extra kinesis pipes to power the wooden fluid pipes drawing out the fuel.
They're pretty nice yeah, I'm currently in an Infinity Expert run where I've been using kinesis pipes and power adapters to power my lines of extraction pipes as part of a bee setup. Things like IE cables for every apiary would've been horrendously expensive and kinesis pipes are way easier to get than fluxducts.

My warning is that wooden pipes can consume a ton of power, they don't need much but they can be surprisingly power hungry, in the end I had to split my centrifuge off to a separate line as something like 15 wooden pipes were eating enough power each that a centrifuge on the same power line couldn't keep up with the bee products due to power throttling. Used a IE water wheel for power, much simpler than making a dozen redstone engines or pulsating gates or anything.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
The Sprout modpack. Thank you lnaeo for introducing this pack to me. It's the first adventure themed pack I've found in 1.10.2.

Reactions: Inaeo

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
It's unlike anything else I've played before. You're more than welcome. This is one of those packs I don't want to get swept under the rug and forgotten about.

Looks like fun, but it keeps crashing on me :(

I've got a beefy comp, and can play all the standard mod packs (1.7.4 and 1.12) with texture packs with no hiccups.. but sprout takes a long time to load, and have crashed within 20 minutes of starting twice now.

I'll wait for a few versions to come out before I try again.

K

Kira Wroth

It's unlike anything else I've played before. You're more than welcome. This is one of those packs I don't want to get swept under the rug and forgotten about.
I just started playing Sprout after hearing everyone rave about it, but I've spent a couple of hours wandering around aimlessly, not sure what I should be doing. Am I supposed to be looking for NPCs to get quests from? I'm used to starting off with a quest book so am a little unsure of how to progress.